Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

kater posted:

Pretty excited to eventually get to Donkey Kong and Mario 3D if those are supposed to be even better.

You're not even going to understand how you ever enjoyed NSMBU after playing those games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

JordanKai posted:

You're not even going to understand how you ever enjoyed NSMBU after playing those games.

I do, but it's not nearly as thoroughly as those two.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

kater posted:

So uh, wow. Picked up a Mario Kart bundle and drat I'm impressed. Spent an hour or so playing Mario Kart and it seems pretty cool.

More importantly though, holy poo poo NSMBU is actually great. Like, I didn't see that coming at all. Only reason I even got it is because Pikmin and Zelda Again interested me even less than Another NSMB Game. But drat I was so wrong, I just beat I guess the second world and I'm loving this. Also the challenges are cool. Also Offscreen play is kind of exactly what I want from a console. Also I've drawn so many pictures of Yoshi.

Pretty excited to eventually get to Donkey Kong and Mario 3D if those are supposed to be even better.

If you love drawing, pick up art academy. It's pretty cheap last time I checked and it gives you so much crap to work with. Only downside is limited portfolio space so you have to Sofi's choice a few pics every now and again but if you have been uploading them to miiverse it's pretty easy to recover them. Check it out!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

JordanKai posted:

The reason I've put off getting those games, right here. I'm also trying to finish DKCR for the Wii first.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

JordanKai posted:

NSMBU (and NSLU) has some great level design. But I love both it and 3D World so whatever!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mercury Crusader posted:

NSMBU (and NSLU) has some great level design. But I love both it and 3D World so whatever!

I found 3D world to be a bit disappointing after Mario Galaxy. Galaxy was actually a step forward in environment design and did new things with the 3D platformer. 3D World is essentially New Mario 64. Nothing wrong with that, but I liked the wilder level design in the Galaxy games.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Random Stranger posted:

I found 3D world to be a bit disappointing after Mario Galaxy. Galaxy was actually a step forward in environment design and did new things with the 3D platformer. 3D World is essentially New Mario 64. Nothing wrong with that, but I liked the wilder level design in the Galaxy games.

Huh? I found that 3D Land/World had nothing in common with 64 at all. 64 threw you into a large stage that you explored to find whatever star you needed, whereas 3D Land/World were more like 3D interpretations of 2D Mario games.

Galaxy felt like it was in-between the two, with Galaxy 2 leaning more towards the 3D Land/World dynamic. Galaxy 2 was my favorite 3D Mario game until 3D World in any case. They're all still fun games though.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Random Stranger posted:

It's not quite New Super Mario 64 for reasons that Mercury Crusader has mentioned, but I definitely felt like I had more fun with the Galaxy games than I did 3D World. Nothing against it, in fact quite the opposite. 3D Land was a fantastic 2D platformer that simply played in 3D, and 3D World expanded upon that in great ways, but the Galaxy games, especially Galaxy 2 (imo), just felt more fully realized as an extension of the 3D Platforming genre. Like they knew they had a great idea to expand the "rules" of platforming, and here's 240 stars worth of material to prove it.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.
Between this thread, the Mario Kart thread, and this LP, I really need to pick up a Wii U and start getting games. I'm thinking of getting a refurbished system from the Nintendo Online Store and starting with Mario Kart 8 for the free game promotion. I've read that Nintendo has an excellent product quality and customer service so I imagine the refurbished system would be in good shape. Is that a good way to go? I haven't found a better deal for the price, but people have posted about picking stuff up really cheap second-hand.

Also, everyone in the thread has recommended all the great first party Nintendo Games already (is Tropical Freeze really that hard?), but are there any hidden gems for the system? The OP's list seems a bit out of date. I've heard that Zombie U is worth getting, and it looks like there are a good amount of classics I might want to pick up on the eShop.

CatsPajamas fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 3, 2014

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I absolutely adore Lego City Undercover, but it has atrociously long load times and the characters and story aside, it's still a Lego game at heart. If you can pick up for $30-ish, I highly recommend giving it a shot.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

LCU is the best Wii U exclusive not developed by Nintendo.

Yes I know Zombi U exists. :colbert:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

The load times in Lego City Undercover are pretty bad, but I didn't seem to run across them too frequently. Probably because I'd get distracted wandering, exploring, and collecting. I'm really bad about that in open world games.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

About 3D World -- is it different enough from 3DS' 3D Land to merit a purchase? I already completed that game.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

enojy posted:

About 3D World -- is it different enough from 3DS' 3D Land to merit a purchase? I already completed that game.

Completely different.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

enojy posted:

Yes, it's a much better game.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

enojy posted:

I liked 3D Land, but 3D World is much better. It'll feel like 3D Land was a demo for 3D World.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

enojy posted:

3D Land was not enjoyable for me until the last world (not counting extra worlds). 3D World was enjoyable all throughout.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Holy crap the new system update is blazing. You can especially see the difference going in and out of the home menu. I wonder what kind of gamepad alerts we're going to get?

Didn't try quick launch yet.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Random Stranger posted:

What?

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

CatsPajamas posted:

Also, everyone in the thread has recommended all the great first party Nintendo Games already (is Tropical Freeze really that hard?), but are there any hidden gems for the system? The OP's list seems a bit out of date. I've heard that Zombie U is worth getting, and it looks like there are a good amount of classics I might want to pick up on the eShop.

Thirding or fourthing Lego City Undercover. Yeah the load times to start the game are awful and whenever you go back to the precinct but you only have to do that maybe once a sitting. Other than that (and I know i've said this a ton) it feels like a modern upgrade to a N64 platform collectathon. It really really scratches that itch while also making big dumb jokes about Columbo or Cagney and Lacey and well that's just great.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Commissar Ken posted:

Thirding or fourthing Lego City Undercover. Yeah the load times to start the game are awful and whenever you go back to the precinct but you only have to do that maybe once a sitting. Other than that (and I know i've said this a ton) it feels like a modern upgrade to a N64 platform collectathon. It really really scratches that itch while also making big dumb jokes about Columbo or Cagney and Lacey and well that's just great.

How similar would you say it is to Lego Marvel? I enjoyed that when I played it but I don't really have any desire to go back to it. The city felt sort of bland.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Saying it's an N64 style collectathon does peak my interest but I still can't really wrap my head around the concept of a Lego game with no multiplayer. Every Lego game I've ever played has pretty much needed said multiplayer to maintain my interest at all.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
You know what would own? Super Mario Strikers U. Yeah...

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Austrian mook posted:

You know what would own? Super Mario Strikers U. Yeah...

God yes. I loved Mario Strikers Charged, and a new one with netcode that isn't garbage? Yes, please.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Strikers devs (Next Level Games) will almost definitely be showing something at E3, maybe that's what it'll be.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The Strikers devs (Next Level Games) will almost definitely be showing something at E3, maybe that's what it'll be.

Mario and Sonic at the World Cup? :v: (no, they would have announced that months ago).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Man, that is such a no-brainer, I can't believe it hasn't happened yet.

Come to think of it, isn't The Pokemon Company an official sponsor of Japan's World Cup team? Pokemon World Cup would be kinda neat.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Come to think of it, isn't The Pokemon Company an official sponsor of Japan's World Cup team? Pokemon World Cup would be kinda neat.

Pokemon Strikers U would instantly burn a hole in my wallet.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I think the issue there would be the FIFA license. I've heard that they're bad to deal with normally and EA might have it all tied up.

Edit: Actually, come to think of it, I believe the FIFA stuff is non-exclusive but who knows how they treat the World Cup license.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

There's even pikachu stickers on LINE, emoticons on a popular free text messaging service, with him dressed in Japan's football strip.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

For real? I've been having so much drunk fun with Mario Kart, and I played the piss out of Strikers with my friend in high school so it'd be a definite day 1 buy for me.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
We don't actually know what they're gonna show, but there's no reason to think it couldn't be a new Strikers game, they've made two already and they sold okay.

Then again, it could be the rumoured Luigi's Mansion 2 port, or the unannounced S.T.E.A.M. game, or anything else.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

greatn posted:

Holy crap the new system update is blazing. You can especially see the difference going in and out of the home menu. I wonder what kind of gamepad alerts we're going to get?

Didn't try quick launch yet.

I really wish they'd add miiverse messages to the gamepad home menu itself so you didn't need to start miiverse to see them.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Spacebump posted:

Yes, it's a much better game.

Mercury Crusader posted:

I liked 3D Land, but 3D World is much better. It'll feel like 3D Land was a demo for 3D World.

Awesome, thanks! I really liked 3D Land (except for god drat loving rear end in a top hat Shadow Mario levels,) but I had completed it within a week or two and felt no desire to go back to it.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity
Silly question, but is the Wii U getting a Mario Party -game? Better yet, is there a good party-game ( excluding NintendoLand ) that could be played with a group of drunk friends?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Wii Party U is apparently Mario Party except with Miis.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Arthe Xavier posted:

Silly question, but is the Wii U getting a Mario Party -game? Better yet, is there a good party-game ( excluding NintendoLand ) that could be played with a group of drunk friends?

I imagine they'll get one a year or two down the line, the Wii only got two and the last Mario Party very recently came out, but that one's very different from classic Mario Party.

Best bet would be to either get Wii Party U or Game & Wario, both games have games to play with friends. Or get Mario Party 2 on the Wii's Virtual Console and round up some Classic Controllers.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:

CatsPajamas posted:

Between this thread, the Mario Kart thread, and this LP, I really need to pick up a Wii U and start getting games. I'm thinking of getting a refurbished system from the Nintendo Online Store and starting with Mario Kart 8 for the free game promotion. I've read that Nintendo has an excellent product quality and customer service so I imagine the refurbished system would be in good shape. Is that a good way to go? I haven't found a better deal for the price, but people have posted about picking stuff up really cheap second-hand.

Wonderful 101.
Maybe check out the demo and youtubes to see if its your cup of tea but im telling you its one of the best console games ive played in a very long time. If you stick with it to the end, good chance youll agree with me.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Joink posted:

Wonderful 101.
Maybe check out the demo and youtubes to see if its your cup of tea but im telling you its one of the best console games ive played in a very long time. If you stick with it to the end, good chance youll agree with me.

W101 is definitely one to demo, or pick up on the cheap (it regularly goes on sale under $20). It's got some interesting ideas and is worth playing, but it definitely has some problems. Annoying camera is somewhat frequent, and the campy sentai writing (which I thought I'd like) turned out to be goofy in a not-so-great way. I only started it two days ago, but my impression so far is that its the weakest of Platinum's offerings to date.

Wonder Blue is so hit or miss. His stupid line about tasting his blade is funny, but he also uses the word "noobcakes" and talks like a surfer who browses internet memes in his spare time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Arthe Xavier posted:

Spin The Bottle. Not even joking.

• Locked thread