Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Was the Hound in the throne room when Littlefinger betrayed Ned Stark?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
I actually kinda like the show better than the books. :shrug:

I mean there's some changes that I disagree with and some new stuff that is honestly just bad, but overall I like the show better.

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!

precision posted:

The film of American Psycho is immensely better than the book. Doubly so for Fight Club.

Adaptations can surpass and transform their source material. If they're good, that should be their goal in the first place.

I agree you can like a film better than its original book, but there's a relationship you have with a book that you just can't capture by watching it unfold onscreen. In fact, I don't think it's even a question of worse or better. Books and movies have different goals in its effort to entertain you. And you can certainly prefer one experience over another. Trying to decide which version of GoTs is better, book or movie, almost seems like missing the point.

BubbleGoose fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jun 3, 2014

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Brown Moses posted:

Was the Hound in the throne room when Littlefinger betrayed Ned Stark?
Yep.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I hope that comes up, considering how things have been set up it'll be interesting to see how that revelation would pan out.

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!
Now that you mention it, I'm surprised the Hound's never brought it up to Arya.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Senor Tron posted:

I like that idea, I hope it isn't a book spoiler because it actually makes a lot of sense.

Don't worry, if it turns out to be the case, it's pure luck. I have a really lovely track record for guesses on this show, so I hope it's obvious I haven't read the books. To be honest it's mostly based on a "How the hell can they explain not just having the Wildlings roll the place over in five minutes?" and that's the only logical out I can come up with.

Though apparently I did call the fact that the Viper used a poison blade! Unfortunately I didn't call anything else about the fight, and it was such a minor detail in the end anyway that this is only known because the HBO website said so.

BlackJosh posted:

Peter Dinklage is awesome and gently caress GRRM if he kills off his character.

I love how much poo poo GRRM gets for things that aren't his fault, it's kind of hilarious.

Ludicrously hilarious sexposition sequences? HBO.
Unending Theon torture? I've heard this was HBO, too.

... and now, getting mad at him for killing characters that he killed a decade before they were cast because of cool actors ...

If anything he might push for a reprieve. Anyway for anyone mad about them killing off Obreyn, at least look at the bright side: This was probably the very best role for his career he could ask for. I suspect you're going to see him in more stuff in the near future with how impressive he was. Apparently he's been really restrained and held back on the other shows he's worked on.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jun 3, 2014

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BubbleGoose posted:

Now that you mention it, I'm surprised the Hound's never brought it up to Arya.

Probably because he never had a full reason to. "Oh yeah, that rear end in a top hat that runs the brothel in King's Landing sold out your dad too." I mean from the Hound's perspective, that is all Littlefinger is right now.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

kater posted:

Littlefinger's arc could reasonably be considered finished. He started the show proclaiming his loyalty to Caitlyn and has finally made good on it. Plus the way he sets the stage for Robin and Sansa comes off as almost bowing out. Sure he could scamper off and return to twirl his mustache some more in the future, but he's at a reasonable end.

He's in an interesting position right now. Tywin made him ruler of the Riverlands last season iirc. He's now the ruler in the Vale until Robin comes of age. And he has the assumed heir of Winterfell (given that no one knows Bran and Rickon are alive) in his direct control ... and Roose Bolton or no, that's gotta count for something. So he's the de facto head of two, maybe three of the seven kingdoms and yet doesn't seem to be on anyone's radar as a real power or threat. It'll be interesting to see where his story goes, just what his end game is. All of Westeros?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Blazing Ownager posted:

If anything he might push for a reprieve. Anyway for anyone mad about them killing off Obreyn, at least look at the bright side: This was probably the very best role for his career he could ask for. I suspect you're going to see him in more stuff in the near future with how impressive he was. Apparently he's been really restrained and held back on the other shows he's worked on.
Yeah, I hope Pascal does something awesome after this.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hopefully before the show ends there will be a scene where Littlefinger, Varys and Dany just sit around have a :smug: off.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

How can they even see the TV, it's facing the camera? I call bullshit.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.
One thing I am curious about - after Oberyn's death pissed so many people off, if Tyrion does die in the next 2 episodes - how many people will actually stop watching the show for good?

I feel like Oberyn dying probably did cause at least a few people to give up, and caused more to be on the edge of giving up. Tyrion is a lot of peoples favorite character, and him dying so soon after the gut punch that was Oberyn may just be more than a lot of people can take.

It may actually be bad business sense to kill Tyrion, is what I'm getting at, if it causes the viewer base to plummet.

Personally, GRRM could literally do a "rocks fall, everyone dies and Joffrey rises as a zombie" twist and I'd keep watching because sunk costs, but not everyone feels that way.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not an expert on this by any margin, but intuitively, I'd guess the emotional impact of seeing a character you like die can be a net boost. Sure, you'll lose some, but GoT isn't the kind of show people watch because they dream of marrying Peter Dinklage or Kit Harrington (even though certainly many watchers find either of them very attractive). I think what gets people back to watching GoT is caring for what happens to the characters, and keeping the stakes high will probably help more than it hurts.

Unless you only care about the loss in viewers, not the net loss.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

Cingulate posted:

I'm not an expert on this by any margin, but intuitively, I'd guess the emotional impact of seeing a character you like die can be a net boost. Sure, you'll lose some, but GoT isn't the kind of show people watch because they dream of marrying Peter Dinklage or Kit Harrington (even though certainly many watchers find either of them very attractive). I think what gets people back to watching GoT is caring for what happens to the characters, and keeping the stakes high will probably help more than it hurts.

Unless you only care about the loss in viewers, not the net loss.

Net boost? That doesn't make sense to me - at this point, GoT is well known enough that I think everyone who is interested in trying it pretty much has already. I don't really think there's someone out there that is going to start watching the show because they heard a cool character died.

While I can understand that killing a character may make an existing fan like the show even more...that doesn't translate into an extra view, when that person is already a viewer.

Also - yes, caring for the characters is motivation to keep watching, but as some people have said in the thread already, that only works when characters you care about are still alive. There are certainly people that are starting to feel like the show is losing its' appeal because it's losing characters worth caring what happens to, and they're also getting tired of bothering to care and then having the show kill them. Oberyn+Tyrion may just be too much, it might send a message to a lot of people that it's not a good idea to care about characters or just leave people feeling like the show has jumped the shark because it killed off the best talent.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Aristobulus posted:

Net boost? That doesn't make sense to me - at this point, GoT is well known enough that I think everyone who is interested in trying it pretty much has already. I don't really think there's someone out there that is going to start watching the show because they heard a cool character died.

I've seen quite a few people who started watching specifically because of all the buzz the red wedding created.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

If it causes a net increase, I think it would be because major events like Ned's execution and the Red Wedding cause the show to get increasingly talked about resulting in more people checking it out. And if that's greater than the number of people quitting because their favorite character died, it results in viewership going up every season.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
People. This show has been planned to last seven seasons (or so, given that the source material for the last part is mostly missing). This means that we are only just over the halfway point. It's rather logical that people and characters who in other circumstances would be the 'heroes' are dying. They are simply too early into the story. Too early for their time.

On the other hand, nature (and show space) abhors vacuum. I don't think it's a spoiler to say that there will be new characters. And given that the show *is* over the bend, maybe they will even survive to see the ending!

The funniest thing would be, obviously, if, due to the smaller audience, HBO decided to cancel the show after Season 6. Then neither the bookreaders nor the showviewers (nor the characters) would get to see the end. :xd:

e: In other words, if you want to start cheering a particular character and/or betting who survives and who doesn't, this is actually the *best* moment to do so.

meristem fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jun 3, 2014

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

BlackJosh posted:

I mean, yeah totally. If it works. I don't get why nerds need their adaptations to be pure 1-1 interpretations of the source material. Peter Dinklage is awesome and gently caress GRRM if he kills off his character. I'd love it if the show runners kept a few characters around that died in the books and vice versa.
I too don't really understand why the books have to be considered sacrosanct. They're not historical accounts, Weiss & Benioff's screenplay is just as valid as GRRMs fiction, and there's no shame in the former being merely inspired by the latter. The real problem though is that if they deviate too far from the books then they're into fiction writing territory rather than adaptation and I'd imagine they've got more than enough on their hands just adapting the books as they exist now.

Of what I understand of the books, and I haven't read them but have heard brief accounts from those that have, there are a few strands of the show that have already deviated considerably from them. Not killing principal characters would mean Weiss & Benioff would then be on their own in terms of writing additional scenes for them, unless they make them fly back to their home planet.

Peppi
May 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Beetle talk was funny, but the fight between oberryn and the mountain was really poorly made.

So was dragon womans acting and Arya's fake laugh.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

I don't know how anyone can find Dany's "look ma I'm ruling now!" "arc" remotely interesting when compared to everything else going on. poo poo, even Pod is actually going places.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

regulargonzalez posted:

He's in an interesting position right now. Tywin made him ruler of the Riverlands last season iirc. He's now the ruler in the Vale until Robin comes of age. And he has the assumed heir of Winterfell (given that no one knows Bran and Rickon are alive) in his direct control ... and Roose Bolton or no, that's gotta count for something. So he's the de facto head of two, maybe three of the seven kingdoms and yet doesn't seem to be on anyone's radar as a real power or threat. It'll be interesting to see where his story goes, just what his end game is. All of Westeros?

Just thought of this, actually. If Littlefinger announces Sansa's existence publicly (or better yet for him, marries her), he can expect most of the Northern houses to (want to) declare for him/her/them over the Boltons, who betrayed the rest of them with the Freys. The Vale was basically untouched by the war, is almost totally unassailable and I guess represents a serious military threat. As for the Riverlands, the Tully-friendly houses would still be loyal to the Starks over the Freys, again after the Red Wedding. This adds up to most of three Kingdoms Littlefinger could end up with. Add to that Stannis making a new move, Dorne being even less happy with the Lannisters than before, and the Lannisters being effectively broke except for the Tyrell's support. It looks good for Petyr, and bad for the Lannisters right now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Durzel posted:

I don't know how anyone can find Dany's "look ma I'm ruling now!" "arc" remotely interesting when compared to everything else going on. poo poo, even Pod is actually going places.

I find it very interesting because she's finally had to stop the constant forward momentum she was making, which means all the realities of rule have caught up to her (as well as past events like Jorah's former spying) and as a result she's doing the one thing that almost every other "King" has neglected since Robert's death - she's dealing with the day to day responsibilities of ruling a Kingdom.

Beforehand she was getting all the cool war/conquest scenes, but holding the peace is a hell of a lot harder than winning the war, and I'm glad they actually pointed out that just rushing her horde through the various cities and then leaving behind a power vacuum in her wake is not something that works out in the long run.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I wonder what position that puts the Tyrells in, Littlefinger knows about their involvement in the murder of Joffrey, and they also know the Lannisters must be hurting for money after paying for half the royal wedding. They don't seem aware of Littlefingers apparent plotting in regards to the rest of country, so when they find themselves up against what could be 3 kingdoms are they going to throw their lot in with the Lannisters when they know they are strapped for cash and when their betrayal could be revealed at any moment?

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
GRRM doesn't seem like a sperg even though he may look like one. I think if the show deviates from the books he wouldn't mind too much as long as it was good. I personally don't want them to simply because I haven't read the books and I probably never will.

The ending of 'The Mist' movie was changed from the book and it was so good that Stephen King came out and outright said that it was better than his ending and he wished he had thought of it first.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

precision posted:

I don't think Jon will be dying any time before the final season/final few episodes, if then. Same with Tyrion, to a lesser extent.

I'm not saying the story will follow conventional fantasy happy ending tropes, but that if it follows even the most very basic of storytelling notions, Jon Snow has to live to see how it ends. He survived being shot full of arrows, and maybe he gets the Jaime treatment and loses a limb or something, but I very much doubt he'll bite it even if the Wall falls.

Why?
Why do you think this of these 2 characters in particular above any others?

There is a difference between changing stuff about in an adaptation to suit the medium and choosing to keep alive a main character when the source material kills him off. Most of the time a major characters death triggers other plot lines and character development which you also now have to write around. Just to stop some nerds getting butt hurt about their best bud make believe character has been fake killed.

I read the first 4 books years ago and enjoyed them, got tired of the beardy twat writing a new page every month and decided to wait for him to die or finish the series.

I prefer the TV show what I remember of the books, but if they had decided for instance to not kill Oberyn because they got a good vibe off of the actor when they filmed the season (remember that all the stuff is in the can before the seasons even starts, they had no idea he was a "fan favourite" when they stuck to the loving script and killed him), I would stop watching.

bob holness paradox
Aug 22, 2009

ceci n'est pas un presentateur

SBJ posted:

GRRM doesn't seem like a sperg even though he may look like one. I think if the show deviates from the books he wouldn't mind too much as long as it was good. I personally don't want them to simply because I haven't read the books and I probably never will.

GRRM posted:

You know, it's David and Dan really. David Benioff and Dan Weiss are the show runners.

I don't have any veto power. I signed a pretty standard contract where I gave them rights to adapt this into a television series and I got certain titles and agreed I'd write one script a year and a large dump truck full of money. And they can have the aliens come down next season. They can turn the whole cast into vampires and I'm powerless to stop them, but I don't think they will do that. They love the books and they seem committed to telling my story in a different medium. And I knew all that before I signed any of the contracts.

I mean, if you're J. K. Rowling, you can go into a situation where every studio in Hollywood wants you and you can set very stringent terms where you get to approve everything. But if you're not J. K. Rowling, and virtually nobody is J. K. Rowling, except for J. K. Rowling, then you can't do that. And you have to find people that you trust and put your faith in them and in the understanding of the story. Which is something that I think I also understood a fair amount of that because of my ten years working in Hollywood in the effect that I had seen the other side of the process.

Sometimes, I think some of my fellow novelists who have not worked in television and film are very naive about this process. They get an offer and there's the dump truck full of money and they sign it, they cash the check and then they’re not involved in the series. They may get invited to premiere and they come out of the premiere looking like all of their children have just been gassed and with a stunned look on their face 'cause everything has been changed. And it's, some of them get very upset and start writing angry editorials and things like that.

I haven't heard of anyone except Alan Moore actually returning the check however. So, I think there's a certain, I don't know, hypocrisy there. It's not a secret that Hollywood does change things and maybe they change too many things.

When I had my writer hat off and I put on my reader and my fan boy hat, I get upset as anyone and I can go on for a long time about how they change things in Spiderman and the Fantastic Four in ways that I don't approve of. But nonetheless, you gotta know the job is dangerous when you take it, you know?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

SBJ posted:

The ending of 'The Mist' movie was changed from the book and it was so good that Stephen King came out and outright said that it was better than his ending and he wished he had thought of it first.

The ending of the Mist movie was loving awful

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Brown Moses posted:

I wonder what position that puts the Tyrells in, Littlefinger knows about their involvement in the murder of Joffrey, and they also know the Lannisters must be hurting for money after paying for half the royal wedding. They don't seem aware of Littlefingers apparent plotting in regards to the rest of country, so when they find themselves up against what could be 3 kingdoms are they going to throw their lot in with the Lannisters when they know they are strapped for cash and when their betrayal could be revealed at any moment?

That Margaery looks to be marrying Tommen, and Loras Cercei, puts them in an enormously difficult position too. They'd be basically bound by blood to back the Lannisters, but considering their money troubles and the general weakening of the house, the Tyrells might find themselves the senior partner in the relationship and calling (some of) the shots before long.

Coucho Marx fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jun 3, 2014

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmtGW5dPPoM

Please Eat A Vegetable
Jun 26, 2002
Lord of Primate Booty
Just watched the episode, and just drat.

It is us. We are the beetles. GRRM is Olson Lannister.

Thmash!

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

SirMonkeyButt posted:

Just watched the episode, and just drat.

It is us. We are the beetles. GRRM is Olson Lannister.

Thmash!
Nah, the beetles are characters, which makes us Tyrion. At least it's less blatant than GRRM's other self-insert character (Sam)

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?
Yeah, I think it was a cheeky bit of self insertion and nothing of any importance. The important bit was Jaimie and Tyrion chatting and laughing, showing their friendship and long shared history.

BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Where's the 9th episode preview at?

Pattycakes
May 12, 2014

WHO WANTS A PATTYCAKE!?!

Jerusalem posted:

I find it very interesting because she's finally had to stop the constant forward momentum she was making, which means all the realities of rule have caught up to her (as well as past events like Jorah's former spying) and as a result she's doing the one thing that almost every other "King" has neglected since Robert's death - she's dealing with the day to day responsibilities of ruling a Kingdom.

Beforehand she was getting all the cool war/conquest scenes, but holding the peace is a hell of a lot harder than winning the war, and I'm glad they actually pointed out that just rushing her horde through the various cities and then leaving behind a power vacuum in her wake is not something that works out in the long run.

I get why they show, but its boring as hell to actually watch it. The whole Khaleesi story arc has been boring the past few weeks. I'm really hoping that they spice it up in the last two episodes of the season.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

FAGGY CLAUSE posted:

Not sure how likable these people really are. Margaery knew full well what a sociopatch Joffrey was and was still about 4 hours away from chugging one of his hot loads just because she wants power.

Few pages back but I honestly really like Margaery because she's a compelling character who is just as ambitious as any other player but knows she has to go about getting power in a different way. She's basically what Cersei could be if she was a bit smarter and less bitter. I think Margaery was confident she could manage Joffrey (which was probably stupid) but now she's left with a kinder, mouldable alternative and she's already making sure he's on her side. Olanna on the other hand is just a total badass.

I don't see how being willing to marry Joffrey makes Margaery so unlikeable when almost every other character does terrible things every episode. Its not like she ever loved him or was blind to his cruelty. As a noble woman there are very few options available to her if she wants power, anyway.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Brienne of Tarth confirmed for the next Star Wars movie, but you know what I think they need more than anything? A sexy, Spanish Jedi with a lightsaber spear and a lust for wine, women/men, and life.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Just a reminder - ignore people's avatars in this thread if you don't want spoilers (or turn them off)

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Watched the episode last night. drat, that was pretty hard to watch. Not sure I understand the people saying it turned them off the show though, at this point if you don't expect this sort of thing then you must be watching a different show than me. It was over the top with the grimness but it's not like GoT hasn't always been. It was to a rough extent this episode though. Something that especially got me was Ramsey essentially receiving the best news of his life as a direct result of mutilating and torturing a man. Having watched all the horrific things that happened to Theon and then seeing Ramsey get rewarded was way worse to me than Oberyn's head getting popped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

Eh...Ramsey didn't exactly get rewarded for torturing Theon, he got rewarded for recapturing the fort. Theon was just how he did it, true, but he probably would've got the same reward if he had found another way.

Remember that when he first shows off Theon, Roose is angry at him for flaying Theon because he ruined Theon's value as a hostage.

I still don't understand people LIKING Ramsey or anything, or being like "it was so moving watching him be praised by his father", though.

• Locked thread