Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Junkie Disease posted:

I'm biased as hell. The Adventures of Baron Munchausen is the greatest movie ever made and its my favorite movie ever. I know its flawed and has issues but to me its magic.
The books and the movie have a great theme of reality vs fantasy and act as a precursor to concepts of superhero teams.
I love One Piece as well and they have much of the same DNA. And that soundtrack is a slice of mousse cake sliding into my brain.

Baron Munchausen owns. I feel like the movie gets overshadowed by Time Bandits and Brazil but it totally stands alongside them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Seems like some good movies were added yesterday. A sampling:

Apocalypse Now (and Redux)
Cold Mountain
Major League
Mission: Impossible III
Rudy
Wayne's World
We Were Soldiers

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Has a movie ever been less in need of a redux than Apocalypse Now?

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Has a movie ever been less in need of a redux than Apocalypse Now?

You only need to dux that movie once.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Oh hey, just got an email that Sherlock Series 3 was added to Netflix.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Medullah posted:

Nice!

Blue Mountain State is seriously underrated. At first, I thought it was a dumb jock show on spike like 'Manswers'. Now that I've watched it over the weekend I realize its fairly clever, just self-aware enough and has some ridiculous movie references like Raising Arizona, Field of Dreams and Platoon.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Night Of The Creeps is a good, campy, archetypal 80's horror movie about a world-weary ex-cop who must save a small town from slug-like creatures who transform people into zombies. Ending is cliched but satisfying. It's also the movie that spawned this classic quote:

Tom Atkins as Ray Cameron posted:

I got good news and bad news, girls..

The good news is your dates are here.

Girl: What's the bad news?

The bad news is: THEY'RE DEAD (cocks gun)

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 2, 2014

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004

Medullah posted:

sweet.

Just got done doing a rewatch of Terriers. Wish it had been picked up for a second season as I love me some Donal Logue

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Apparently that From Dusk Till Dawn TV series created by Robert Rodriguez for his satellite channel is on Netflix outside of the US, where it's billed as a "Netflix Original". I'm not sure all the countries it's available in, but I switched my region to Sweden and found it that way.

I just watched the pilot today, and it's actually pretty decent. The guy playing Seth does a good George Clooney impression, and Richie is suitably creepy. I'll withhold judgment until I've seen more, but I'm liking it so far.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Junkie Disease posted:

I'm biased as hell. The Adventures of Baron Munchausen is the greatest movie ever made and its my favorite movie ever. I know its flawed and has issues but to me its magic.
The books and the movie have a great theme of reality vs fantasy and act as a precursor to concepts of superhero teams.
I love One Piece as well and they have much of the same DNA. And that soundtrack is a slice of mousse cake sliding into my brain.

My absolute favorite movie too. It made me a life long Terry Gilliam fan. Did you first see it as a kid too?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I ruined my vhs copy as a child I watched it so drat much.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Binary Badger posted:

Night Of The Creeps is a good, campy, archetypal 80's horror movie about a world-weary ex-cop who must save a small town from slug-like creatures who transform people into zombies. Ending is cliched but satisfying. It's also the movie that spawned this classic quote:

I used to stay up late on weekends when I was young to watch Uncle Don's Terror Theater. They showed this one night, and it has been one of my favorite horror movies ever since. It's a great mix of comedy and horror. The movie Slither is so similar, I thought it was a remake.

Edit: I guess James Gunn addresses this:

When the trailer for Slither came out, Internet boards about the movie suddenly lit up with protests from a legion of fans of the 1986 film Night of the Creeps. "Alien slugs that turn people into zombies!" they cried. "What a rip-off!" I bring this up not because I think Slither--which is a tongue-in-cheek pastiche of at least a dozen '80s horror films--could really be considered a rip-off of any one of them.

sleepingbuddha fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 3, 2014

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

My absolute favorite movie too. It made me a life long Terry Gilliam fan. Did you first see it as a kid too?

Yep, same here....liked Baron Munchausen a lot, remember dragging people to go see it the first time back in 1988.

oh and Uma :allears:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 3, 2014

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

sleepingbuddha posted:

I used to stay up late on weekends when I was young to watch Uncle Don's Terror Theater. They showed this one night, and it has been one of my favorite horror movies ever since. It's a great mix of comedy and horror. The movie Slither is so similar, I thought it was a remake.

Edit: I guess James Gunn addresses this:

When the trailer for Slither came out, Internet boards about the movie suddenly lit up with protests from a legion of fans of the 1986 film Night of the Creeps. "Alien slugs that turn people into zombies!" they cried. "What a rip-off!" I bring this up not because I think Slither--which is a tongue-in-cheek pastiche of at least a dozen '80s horror films--could really be considered a rip-off of any one of them.
Isn't it all a total ripoff of The Puppet Masters?

v I am, obviously.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 3, 2014

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Anne Whateley posted:

Isn't it all a total ripoff of The Puppet Masters?

Puppet Masters came out in 1994, Night of the Creeps predates it by eight years, don't know what you're talking about unless you're referring to Heinlein's original novel.

Edit: Yeah, everyone loves to rip off Heinlein. Even Star Trek did it in Operation: Annihilate with the flying fried eggs instead of slugs and that one episode in TNG where Riker and Picard gorily blasted that cognoscenti slug with their phasers while it was still in its host. Back when I used to read Analog I used to see other ripoffs of the concept too.

Getting back to the thread, When Aliens Attack is a slightly overlong but decent quasi-documentary about what would happen if aliens invaded. According to this show, the US and the UN all have plans and strategies for what might happen if aliens DID attack. They've run all the scenarios through computer simulations. They do interview people who should know about this stuff instead of made-up experts like that guy with the whacko hair who blames aliens for everything.

Yeah, it seems like it's just aping Independence Day but it does bring up some valid points about how if you've licked interstellar travel you should theoretically be a badass in other disciplines but you'll still get tripped up by guerrilla warfare a la the Russians in Afghanistan. It also assumes aliens understand the concept of acceptable / non acceptable losses and are paranoid like us and only commit robots to handle first contact. I have a hard time swallowing the concept of rugged survivors of the invasion fighting back against the evil alien overlords using balloons to invade their ships, however.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 3, 2014

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I only saw Baron Munchausen when I was around 17, and it's still one of my favorite movies. Definitely my favorite Gilliam film.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This is funny to me because Baron Munchausen badly tanked, was critically panned, and for a long time all I heard were people saying how dumb it is.

I think it's better than Brazil. :colbert:

"And that was one of the many occasions on which I died, an experience I do not recommend." loving love it every time.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I never saw Baron Munchausen or Time Bandits as a kid and after seeing them later in life, I feel like a part of my childhood was withheld from me. Awesome, awesome flicks.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

mod sassinator posted:

I never saw Baron Munchausen or Time Bandits as a kid and after seeing them later in life, I feel like a part of my childhood was withheld from me. Awesome, awesome flicks.

I saw Time Bandits as a kid and I remember it freaking the hell out of me, especially the ending. I almost feel that, unless you were jaded/desensitized early on, you really need to be an adult to appreciate what that film was doing. But then again, I was an overly sensitive child, so my perspective may be skewed the wrong way.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

mod sassinator posted:

Baron Munchausen was a film I thought I had dreamed as a kid, because no one ever knew what I was talking about when trying to describe it.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
My parents took me to all the good films when I was a kid, 2001 (prob not until 1973 or so when I was 5), Jaws, Star Wars, Alien, Time Bandits, etc. My pops also made me find him a new VHS copy of Brazil at some point in the early 1990's.

1988 seems pretty loaded is loving STACKED for movies (Die Hard, Beeteljuice, Roger Rabbit, Rain Man, Bull Durham, Big, Coming to America....the list goes on and on), prob why Munchhausen got overlooked if it had a summer release. Hell, it outdrew "Heathers" $8m to $1m, lol.

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?at=0&sort=num_votes&title_type=feature&year=1988,1988

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 3, 2014

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Its also a fantasy filled with smiling and little combat. Good luck in theaters!

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
So uh... I'm watching this I Was Bitten series that has a bunch of animal attack victims telling about their survival. This has to be the gnarliest stuff I've seen on TV. Holy loving gently caress.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Munchausen got overlooked because it was greenlit by a previous regime. They struck less than a hundred prints of it for the American release.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Maxwell Lord posted:

Munchausen got overlooked because it was greenlit by a previous regime. They struck less than a hundred prints of it for the American release.

I'm pretty sure there was almost zero advertising for it, certainly nothing about "featuring Robin Williams as some moon man thing!" which probably would have gotten a few butts in seats.

If my grandfather hadn't been a huge Monty Python and Time Bandits fan I probably would have never seen it as young as I did.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Watching Baron Munchausen became a Christmas Eve tradition in my house when I was a kid. Not even sure why, but I don't regret it. :unsmith:

If you can forgive the brief nudity and mild adult themes, those of you with kids should give this movie a shot. Definitely not a lot of movies like it.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Keyser S0ze posted:

Yep, same here....liked Baron Munchausen a lot, remember dragging people to go see it the first time back in 1988.

oh and Uma :allears:

Yeahhhhhhhh. That scene had me convinced that I wasn't really gay. Turns out I'm just straight for Uma Thurman in that movie.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Thanks netflix for ruining the loving plot to Cabin in the Woods.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Bastards. loving plot is so easy to ruin for that movie

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

NeoSeeker posted:

When I look it up on the site, the description is:

"In this surprising spin on a classic horror setup, five friends arrive at a secluded cabin with clear instructions for their anticipated mountain getaway. But when the rigid rules are broken, punishment is swift -- and everyone will pay."

Doesn't seem very spoilerish.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Dr. Clockwork posted:

When I look it up on the site, the description is:

"In this surprising spin on a classic horror setup, five friends arrive at a secluded cabin with clear instructions for their anticipated mountain getaway. But when the rigid rules are broken, punishment is swift -- and everyone will pay."

Doesn't seem very spoilerish.

Well if you've already seen it the part where "everyone will pay" seems to give away the ending, but going in fresh you really have no idea what that could refer too :shrug:

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Maybe it's the picture displayed from a streaming device on a television...

shows the stoner dude holding a pipe with chains covered in battle makeup

I had never seen the movie before and it kills their death scene. Unless it was super obvious to everyone else.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Heads up, it looks like all the Ken Burns documentaries on streaming are expiring 7/1, so you've got a little under a month to see:

The Dust Bowl
Jazz
Baseball
The War (world war 2)
The West
Prohibition
The National Parks

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

NeoSeeker posted:

I had never seen the movie before and it kills their death scene. Unless it was super obvious to everyone else.

Uh, that's really not so much of a spoiler.

Watch the movie, and you'll see.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

NeoSeeker posted:

Knowing what you know, Cabin in the Woods is still the single smartest horror movie of all time. Just edging out Tucker & Dale Vs Evil.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Yeahhhhhhhh. That scene had me convinced that I wasn't really gay. Turns out I'm just straight for Uma Thurman in that movie.

I'm convinced that some people are just worth a point on the Kinsey scale.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

NeoSeeker posted:

Watch Resolution instead.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

mr. why posted:

Or, watch both. Both are good.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Malloreon posted:

Cabin in the Woods is still the single smartest horror movie of all time.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

mr. why posted:

Yesssssssssssssssssssss.

• Locked thread