Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
japtor
Oct 28, 2005

GutBomb posted:

FYI if you do end up getting one get a wifi one, not Bluetooth. iOS doesn't have the right profile to communicate with the Bluetooth modules unless you're jailbroken and install a custom profile.
There are Bluetooth ones that work actually, the catch is that they're "Made for iPhone" certified and cost a bunch. I forget the names but they're all around $100 last I checked vs the cheap ones you can use when jailbroken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

japtor posted:

There are Bluetooth ones that work actually, the catch is that they're "Made for iPhone" certified and cost a bunch. I forget the names but they're all around $100 last I checked vs the cheap ones you can use when jailbroken.

One is Automatic, which I only know because I saw it in-store today.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Molten Llama posted:

One is Automatic, which I only know because I saw it in-store today.
Yeah that's one, although limited to their own app I think. They made (or are working on) a third party API for it but last I saw it looked like access to the data they log vs direct access to the OBD data.

The other one I know works with other apps: GoPoint BT1, not in Apple Stores though (I'd use my $90 in store credit on it if it were there :argh:)

Looks like theres at least one more on Amazon but I have no clue if they work with anything other than their own apps like the Automatic one.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dunno if any of you use the NYT crossword app, but they have loving destroyed it. Before, for a yearly sub fee of $16, you got access to all new puzzles and puzzles going back to 1996. It tracked stats and gave ranking based on completion time.

Now it only gives access to puzzles going back a year, they are selling iap puzzle packs, no more stat tracking and they are upping the sub fee to $40 per year.

ogreboy
Apr 1, 2003
The greed related stuff i get, but why remove a feature like stat tracking?

I used my gift cert money on "Crosswords" and it's Ok but I'm still looking for a perfect replacement for NYT Crosswords for Nintendo DS.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Crux is my xword app. I think the solving interface is the best one that I've tried on iPhone.

You can input subscription information (like NYT or American Values, etc.) and there's a lot if free puzzles too. They also have access to British style cryptics.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
The new Crux update is pretty stupid, though. They updated half the app to ios 7 styling, but kept the stitched leather toolbar and wood grain backgrounds. Feels weird; I'd prefer it to still all be old style.

I also wish they actually displayed the status bar. I usually do crosswords on my phone in between things.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Is there a calendar app similiar to Sunrise Calendar that will run on iOS 6? I have an iPod Touch 4G, so iOS 7 isn't available for me.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

ogreboy posted:

The greed related stuff i get, but why remove a feature like stat tracking?

I used my gift cert money on "Crosswords" and it's Ok but I'm still looking for a perfect replacement for NYT Crosswords for Nintendo DS.

I like 7 Little Words. It's not exactly a crossword but it's close enough to that, and it's been a good timewaster for me.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I just got an iPad and was wondering if there is an adblock app or if I can download an adblock extension inside the Chrome app?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

cyberia posted:

I just got an iPad and was wondering if there is an adblock app or if I can download an adblock extension inside the Chrome app?

Chrome and Safari both lack any sort of ad blocking abilities; there are other third party browsers that can block ads, but they kind of suck. There are also some proxy/DNS based solutions that you can set up on your home wifi network, but won't work over cellular data or public hotspots. Finally, the last option would be to jailbreak.

Personally, I just put up with ads. Blocking them is too much :effort:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Kheldarn posted:

Is there a calendar app similiar to Sunrise Calendar that will run on iOS 6? I have an iPod Touch 4G, so iOS 7 isn't available for me.

I got a hold of Calendars 5 when it was free and it auto downloaded to an old iOS 6 device and worked fine. It's a nice calendar solution but I guess it isn't free anymore.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

cyberia posted:

There's Weblock which seems to work, but only on wifi cause the way it works. It can't block CSS layers and code that's part of a page like AdBlock can, it's all resource/address based iirc, i.e. it's not as fine grained control wise but still seems to get a good amount of stuff.

japtor fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 2, 2014

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

japtor posted:

There's Weblock which seems to work, but only on wifi cause the way it works. It can't block CSS layers and code that's part of a page like AdBlock can, it's all resource/address based iirc, i.e. it's not as fine grained control wise but still seems to get a good amount of stuff.

This looks pretty good, thanks :)

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
My Android died a horrible death and Verizon surprisingly set me up with a 5C. Not terribly happy about switching sides, but given the declining state of my phone over the past six months I'm happy to be starting fresh again.

It looks like every app I use is also on iOS(thankfully!), except for MightyText (which is incidentally one of my favorites). Basically MightyText lets you text from your PC instead of having to deal with typing on touchscreen, which is super useful to me. Is there an Apple/app store equivalent that I can use on my PC? I don't mind if it's paid either, it's one function I find worth the hypothetical extra cost.

1024x768
Oct 25, 2004

oh god

Avocados posted:

It looks like every app I use is also on iOS(thankfully!), except for MightyText (which is incidentally one of my favorites). Basically MightyText lets you text from your PC instead of having to deal with typing on touchscreen, which is super useful to me. Is there an Apple/app store equivalent that I can use on my PC? I don't mind if it's paid either, it's one function I find worth the hypothetical extra cost.

This just got announced about 5 seconds ago at WWDC but only if you use OSX. I can't say I know if there will be a PC equivalent, but I doubt it.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Google voice?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Avocados posted:

My Android died a horrible death and Verizon surprisingly set me up with a 5C. Not terribly happy about switching sides, but given the declining state of my phone over the past six months I'm happy to be starting fresh again.

You can dictate with Siri. That's what I do while driving.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Welp, with talk of iOS 8, my poor touch is gonna fall farther and father behind. Ah well.

Last Chance posted:

I got a hold of Calendars 5 when it was free and it auto downloaded to an old iOS 6 device and worked fine. It's a nice calendar solution but I guess it isn't free anymore.

Thanks! Will check it out!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

1024x768 posted:

This just got announced about 5 seconds ago at WWDC but only if you use OSX. I can't say I know if there will be a PC equivalent, but I doubt it.
And it's for this reason that I feel eternally frustrated that the PC games I play don't get OSX ports. I want to buy a Mac, I really do - it looks stunning and has amazing features, but 90% of my PC usage is gaming so it would be such a waste getting one. :(

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Josh Lyman posted:

You can dictate with Siri. That's what I do while driving.

How does Siri stack up to Google Voice? Id like to think I talk as clearly as everyone else, but it makes a lot of serious (and usually funny) mistakes.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

cyberia posted:

iCab Mobile has adblock. I think it uses EasyList like Adblock Plus does.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

It's a million times better at detecting English spoken by someone not from California. I'm in a non-english speaking country and it gets me every time. Google Voice can't figure out what I'm trying to say any day of the week.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Question Mark Mound posted:

And it's for this reason that I feel eternally frustrated that the PC games I play don't get OSX ports. I want to buy a Mac, I really do - it looks stunning and has amazing features, but 90% of my PC usage is gaming so it would be such a waste getting one. :(
Get a Mac mini* for that remaining 10% of PC usage and reap the benefits of OS X while dedicating the PC to gaming!

*don't actually get one yet cause it hasn't been updated since 2012 :negative:

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I purchased the Humble Book Bundle and I'm wondering what app you guys are using to read the comic books / novels.

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I bought a retina mini the other day and for the life of me can't find a good equivalent to the amazing android Photo Editor app, ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iudesk.android.photo.editor ), I'd be incredibly thankful if anyone knows of one, price isn't a worry.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Themage posted:

I bought a retina mini the other day and for the life of me can't find a good equivalent to the amazing android Photo Editor app, ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iudesk.android.photo.editor ), I'd be incredibly thankful if anyone knows of one, price isn't a worry.

There's over 9000 image editing/filtering apps idk which one has the exact features you need but i'd check out iPhoto, Afterlight, Camera+ and Laminar.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Themage posted:

iPhoto and Snapseed should both be free and are pretty cool.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

obi_ant posted:

I purchased the Humble Book Bundle and I'm wondering what app you guys are using to read the comic books / novels.

Comic Zeal has been my iOS cbz/cbr reader of choice for a few years now.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Themage posted:

Aviary has always done what I've wanted it to...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/photo-editor-by-aviary/id527445936?mt=8

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Themage posted:

If price doesn't matter try Photoshop, it's a dumbed down but official version of photoshop with some neat filters. You can achieve most of the effects with iPhoto + fiddling but it's nice to just push a filter and have it go.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

How does it compare to Photogene? I have both Aviary and the older Photogene and am debating whether or not to get the newest version. Of course, I could keep both, but I'd rather not have more than one app doing the same thing...

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Snapseed and Filterstorm Neue are my go-to photo editors.

VSCO Cam is my preferred photo filter app, though. The filters are tastefully subtle and actually look like various kinds of film, as opposed to the filters of your average Instagram wannabe app. Most of them are in-app purchases, however.

For those who don't want to deal with IAPs, Afterlight is still the best VSCO Cam alternative, as far as I know.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Tardigrade posted:

How does it compare to Photogene? I have both Aviary and the older Photogene and am debating whether or not to get the newest version. Of course, I could keep both, but I'd rather not have more than one app doing the same thing...

I can't answer that for you sorry. I just downloaded Aviary and it took care what I was trying to accomplish. So I haven't really moved on from that.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

instagram just launched a photo editor today. I have no clue if it's good or what, but just throwing it out there.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
How many processes should be running in the background? I grew up a PC guy and stone stupid when it does to Apple stuff. Are there things installing unneeded processes? I can only find one utility that is supposed to turn them off, but it does not work and I wouldn't know which ones to turnoff without crippling performance even if it did. I am using Sys-Activity and it just gives me a blank box with a cancel button when I tap a process.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Sogol posted:

How many processes should be running in the background?
Don't worry about it. The most you might want to do to manage this sort of stuff is turn off Background App Refresh for some apps that you don't think you need it for.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Thank you. I already basically turned everything off, so good to know.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Sogol posted:

How many processes should be running in the background? I grew up a PC guy and stone stupid when it does to Apple stuff. Are there things installing unneeded processes? I can only find one utility that is supposed to turn them off, but it does not work and I wouldn't know which ones to turnoff without crippling performance even if it did. I am using Sys-Activity and it just gives me a blank box with a cancel button when I tap a process.

Yeah this is a thing that is best to just let go. iOS is actually very competent at seamlessly turning off stuff that's resource-hungry and managing its battery and poo poo to give you a really good experience. Turn off anything that makes you think you need to manage it (looking at you, battery percentage! :argh:) and try to forget about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
What's a good password protected/encrypted app that I can toss sensitive files like PDFs into? I have 1Password but it looks like it only accepts plain text as freeform data.

• Locked thread