Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You can't get to the plug for an rpm reading on the drz without taking the tank off. My friend who dynoed his b12 got a torque reading because the plugs are exposed

Ahh, gotcha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
So I called my dealership's service dept. to see what exactly they can do for my DRZ. I asked them if they could do things like the loctite fix and he was basically like "what, no that is a dumb idea". I don't trust myself to do it, the guide on TT is basically word soup and I have no loving clue how to even start. Not to mention I don't have a torque wrench.

Is it really all that dire of a thing that it NEEDS to be done?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Which loctite fix?

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I'm assuming the countershaft sprocket one.

Edit: Jim, you going to vintage days at Road America this weekend?

Yerok fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 3, 2014

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Yeah, it's the CS sprocket one.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I was going to ask you if that stuff has been done since it's an 04 but I think you'd have noticed losing all your oil that way. You can just do that stuff yourself. It's literally taking off the CS sprocket and putting loctite on it. Be aware that using the red stuff will make it VERY hard to remove later. Buy a new sprocket now if you're going to go that route. It took some pretty good effort to remove the sprocket on my old one that had been loctited on there - you'll need some heat.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I kind of feel like I'm in a weird position for doing this stuff though. I mean, the bike is a brand new 2014 so I'm not even sure I need to do it. I feel like if I gently caress with it, I will definitely cause more problems than if I just left it alone.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Oops, I was thinking of the wrong DRZ owner! My bad haha. I think after 05 the loctite fix isn't such a big deal. It's really easy - since your CS sprocket is still basically new you're probably safe fixing it on there....or use this as an opportunity to splurge on new sprockets and a chain and save your stuff for later emergencies if needed.

FWIW you can probably find a chain that'll work for ~70 bucks on Amazon and sprockets should be like pretty cheap for plain steel ones.

If it's gonna be under warranty for a while just ride it IMO. Let them deal with it but I don't think it's going to be an issue at any point. It's something you should be able to catch if you just check on it every once in a while also.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Oops, I was thinking of the wrong DRZ owner! My bad haha. I think after 05 the loctite fix isn't such a big deal. It's really easy - since your CS sprocket is still basically new you're probably safe fixing it on there....or use this as an opportunity to splurge on new sprockets and a chain and save your stuff for later emergencies if needed.

FWIW you can probably find a chain that'll work for ~70 bucks on Amazon and sprockets should be like pretty cheap for plain steel ones.

If it's gonna be under warranty for a while just ride it IMO. Let them deal with it but I don't think it's going to be an issue at any point. It's something you should be able to catch if you just check on it every once in a while also.

Ah that makes sense, cool thanks. I've got 3 years of warranty so I'll probably just ride it out.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Razzled posted:

So I called my dealership's service dept. to see what exactly they can do for my DRZ. I asked them if they could do things like the loctite fix and he was basically like "what, no that is a dumb idea". I don't trust myself to do it, the guide on TT is basically word soup and I have no loving clue how to even start. Not to mention I don't have a torque wrench.

Is it really all that dire of a thing that it NEEDS to be done?

You're going to want a larger torque wrench if you go messing with the CS nut. I got a 1/2" drive one and a giant rear end socket from harbor freight for all of $27 combined. I'm not sure how vital it is, but I'm in the habit of putting medium strength loctite on almost literally everything on the bike anyways.

e: I know a $20 torque wrench is going to be lovely, but I trust it to tell me the difference between 90ft/lb and 150ft/lb.

Boss
Feb 23, 2011
My first supermoto isn't a real supermoto!

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
The FCR39 on the DRZ is starting to piss me off. Should have bought Husky with fuel injection I guess

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Yerok posted:

The FCR39 on the DRZ is starting to piss me off.

How so?

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Dumb jetting problems, maybe the float height is off? I need to yank the carb tomorrow and check everything and also test for leaks and maybe even double check my cam timing. Also, every piece of DRZ related info says to run the newest FCR39 MX with a 45 pilot and no pilot air jet. My JD Jetting kit says 42 pilot with the 100 PAJ which is kinda equivalent. I had the FCR set up okay for the stock engine but now that it has stage 1 Hot Cams, a 435 cc cylinder, and just under 13:1 compression it's a different (still slow) beast.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Boss posted:

My first supermoto isn't a real supermoto!

Jump on over to supermoto junkie and learn all about tune edu. The 690SM's are pretty similar to the smc. The big one to adjust on these bikes is the throttle tables as they only run about 75% throttle max at any point. Adjust it to 90-100 and enjoy the poo poo out of it. I miss mine.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Anyone have powermadd handguard mirrors? I'm wondering how adjustable they are-- my clutch side armor bend is kind of angled differently from the brake side to accommodate the clutch cables comfortably. Can you change the looking angle up and down or is it only left and right?

Boss
Feb 23, 2011

Aargh posted:

Jump on over to supermoto junkie and learn all about tune edu. The 690SM's are pretty similar to the smc. The big one to adjust on these bikes is the throttle tables as they only run about 75% throttle max at any point. Adjust it to 90-100 and enjoy the poo poo out of it. I miss mine.

Thanks! Will do.

I also noticed that the engine likes to really chug if I'm operating at 10-20% throttle in first or second gear, I assume that's just a fueling issue since the PO put on akropovik system without doing any tuning?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Boss posted:

Thanks! Will do.

I also noticed that the engine likes to really chug if I'm operating at 10-20% throttle in first or second gear, I assume that's just a fueling issue since the PO put on akropovik system without doing any tuning?

That's pretty standard on KTM singles. The 690 likes to be reved, so rev it.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Boss posted:

Z3n posted:

That's pretty standard on KTM singles. The 690 likes to be reved, so rev it.

Yep. My 2007 SM chugs and bucks anywhere low in 1/2 and it's totally stock afaik. Rev the bastard - it also smooths out the somewhat clunky shifting if you do it at higher RPM.

Nice SM! I love mine, welcome to the club :getin:

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco
If anyone with a 690 needs the cable (usb -> obd) to (obd -> ktm 6 pin) for the tune ecu software let me know. You can borrow it for shipping or whatever, I remapped mine and its just been sitting since. Tune Ecu is crazy easy to use, way better than paying the dealer 100 bucks to remap it.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I'm beginning to think maybe JD jetting mislabeled the needles in the kit I got. I'm so confused by this dumb carb. Maybe I'll just send the kit back and get a EMR needle from Keihin

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

velocross posted:

If anyone with a 690 needs the cable (usb -> obd) to (obd -> ktm 6 pin) for the tune ecu software let me know. You can borrow it for shipping or whatever, I remapped mine and its just been sitting since. Tune Ecu is crazy easy to use, way better than paying the dealer 100 bucks to remap it.

I'd offer the same for eurogoons but if you're in the UK/EUR lonelec has you covered for about £25 quid - http://www.lonelec.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=13&zenid=231fb002a1041771b418d0a3645a2a10

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Yerok posted:

I'm beginning to think maybe JD jetting mislabeled the needles in the kit I got. I'm so confused by this dumb carb. Maybe I'll just send the kit back and get a EMR needle from Keihin

Jetting is really a pain in the rear end. It's very systematic though - if one thing doesn't work try another until it does. I know it sucks rear end taking the carb off over and over but you should be able to get it eventually. I'm sure emailing JD would result in them helping you out a bit.

If you had the stock carb I have a bunch of jets laying around I could help out with but my FCR came set up pretty drat well on the last bike so I just left it alone.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I've talked to them a bunch over the phone and they haven't been super helpful unfortunately. Extremely pleasant but just not that helpful. For whatever reason the leaner needle that they're recommending to me just runs like absolute poo poo. I tried the the richer one that's supposed to be for lower elevations/lower temperatures and it runs way better. I also asked on thumpertalk a couple hours ago and some of the better known DRZ guys told me I should be running the rich needle. When I asked JD about it they just told me something else was wrong with the bike other than jetting. :suicide:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I'm not entirely sure of the problem - I may not be reading this correctly. Is it that you put the rich needle in and the bike runs fine but you're worried that's not correct? Or is it that even the rich needle doesn't run well, it just runs better than the lean one?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yerok posted:

I'm assuming the countershaft sprocket one.

Edit: Jim, you going to vintage days at Road America this weekend?

I am! Taking the drz, should be there around 10 or 11

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Hey, I'll be there too, you bastards!

Just on a regular street bike tho. No curb-jumping for me.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I am! Taking the drz, should be there around 10 or 11

I'm gonna get there at some point tomorrow morning/early afternoon and camp Saturday night. My buddy's parents are bringing their pull behind camper and a loving TTR 125 so things are gonna get real funny real fast. Gonna need to borrow a GoPro for this one

Edit: I ended up with a 38 pilot, rich JD needle on the fourth clip, and a 160 main that should probably get swapped for a 155. So nothing recommended by the kit's instructions.

Yerok fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 7, 2014

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Was there from like 11 to 4 today. Highlight of the day was finding out they built an off road trail inside the RA grounds. Fairly gnarly for a trail inside a road course. Check it out if you're there with so methingnwith dirt tires. Its doable on street tires, but I had to skip sections that were too muddynfor the pilot powers on my drz

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
How rough and tough is the trail? It would suck to show up with dirt tires ready to give The Big Hole a real pounding and only come away from it with a sore rear end and walking funny.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The big hole is nasty enough that I had some arm pump after I finished, but I avoided the deep penetration because I didn't have the right equipment with me nor did I want to get a bunch of poo poo from the big hole all over me.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
My phone died on Saturday so I kinda gave up on meeting up with anyone. I saw a yellow DRZ go up the little gravel hill thing between carousel and hurry downs on the way up to Perl's though.

Edit: I did the same thing on Sunday, followed by my buddy on his GPZ550 who promptly locked up his front tire and ate poo poo hahaha

Yerok fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 9, 2014

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Holy poo poo, two 2008 KTM 690 SMCs have popped up for sale in Ontario.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruisers-choppers/barrie/2008-ktm-690-smc/600710763 $6600, 18,000km, 1 hr away

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/oshawa-durham-region/2008-ktm-smc-690/600525936 $8500, 3000km, 3 hrs away

Quick what do I do :aaa:

epswing fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 10, 2014

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Buy them both!

On that second add, is there really a company called "White Power" suspension?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Elviscat posted:

Buy them both!

On that second add, is there really a company called "White Power" suspension?

Yeah - WP is the suspension company that KTM owns and does all their stuff. Obviously they stopped calling their shocks white power after, uh, stuff.

http://www.yss-australia.com/REDIRECTEDSITE/wp_history.php

quote:

Right from the beginning, the springs that were used on WP shock absorbers were white, which became the typical WP colour. There's a nice anecdote to the circumstances that led to the "choice" that was made for this colour. In the beginning the springs were coated by a company that produced hospital beds and white was the only possible colour for them (!).

Although, nowadays the coating is done by special spring coating companies, the WP shock absorbers can still easily be recognised by the white springs. The white springs also introduced the original brand name of "White Power" which we are not using actively in the market anymore since 1991.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Elviscat posted:

is there really a company called "White Power" suspension?

An Austrian company no less. :godwin:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yerok posted:

My phone died on Saturday so I kinda gave up on meeting up with anyone. I saw a yellow DRZ go up the little gravel hill thing between carousel and hurry downs on the way up to Perl's though.

I did that, so that was probably me.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I was gonna follow you but I had literally just gotten off the DRZ for the first time since the ride from Madison.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
I may have something to interest you sumo riders in the Midwest... I'm going to take a break from street riding for awhile and play around at the track, so I've made the decision to sell my 09 690SMC. 53xx miles, overall in very good shape. Bone stock. Nearly new ContiAttack SM tires. Will also include Giant Loop Coyote tailbag. Located in central Iowa.

Contact me through PM for more details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Looks like I'm having to sell my DRZ also since I'm moving, going to miss having her. Maybe I'll buy a more powerful one since NOVA communting is all highways :unsmith:.

• Locked thread