Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I always figured the dumb people got to be "colonists".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Tsaedje posted:

Who needs robotic cleaners when you can just transport the dirt away on a molecular level and re-constitute it into food or furniture or whatever?

Yeah, I thought it was accepted that human biowaste was reconstituted into organic blah blah blah for food replicators.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
all the emh mark I's get relegated to cleaning toilets

I'm a doctor, not a janitor! :smith:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Uh, no. They're slave dilithium miners.
:goonsay:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mogomra posted:

Uh, no. They're slave dilithium miners.
:goonsay:
No, the old EMH models are put to work doing mining.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I really like how much enterprise got some things right. The fact that freighters have been out there for a while doing their business is an interesting tidbit. Kind of like the x series.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Entropic posted:

In the Enterprise-B-Ark, right?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I'm reminded of the two janitors from Babylon 5, who don't even know what the hell their machinery does. Are they buffing the floor? Fixing microfractures in the structure? What the hell do these things do?

In Seaquest DSV there was a genetically engineered human who was the poo poo wiper on the ship.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Suck it, Hoshi.
http://www.geek.com/microsoft/microsoft-emulates-star-trek-turns-skype-into-a-universal-translator-1595044/

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Trickjaw posted:

Suck it, Hoshi.

Dude you're not gonna get anywhere on the holodating sim with that kind of attitude :v:

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Also Riker says the ship cleans itself. :colbert:
Obviously, Riker says that because he doesn't actually know what happens.

He and the crew just sorta assume the ship takes care of it, somehow. It's close to a tautological non-answer:

"Hey what happens to all our waste?"

"Oh, you know, it ends up at the waste management facility."

"Okay, but what's that?"

"Uh, it's the thing that manages the waste."

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

happyhippy posted:

In Seaquest DSV there was a genetically engineered human who was the poo poo wiper on the ship.

He was genetically engineered to be Lenny though so what was he supposed to do other than mop the floor and crush puppies?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

DirtyRobot posted:

Obviously, Riker says that because he doesn't actually know what happens.

He and the crew just sorta assume the ship takes care of it, somehow. It's close to a tautological non-answer:

"Hey what happens to all our waste?"

"Oh, you know, it ends up at the waste management facility."

"Okay, but what's that?"

"Uh, it's the thing that manages the waste."

Didn't Rom get his engineering start in waste extraction? Someone's gotta fix the poo poo recyclers.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
poo poo recyclers, Barb, poo poo recyclers.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Well, the ship is basically one big robot... or a gigantic aggregation of smaller robots... :tinfoil:

Activate Multi-Vector Assault Mode!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I remember in one of Shatner's books he/his ghost-writers had a bunch of Borg cubes join up to form a gigantic mega-cube.

("You mean a hyper-cube?" no because that was a different part of the book...)

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Blazing Ownager posted:

I wonder how many unseen Federation FPS Holosims are about killing borg, the future version of endless desert warfare games.
Does this mean that a TOS-era Federation-Klingon war is Trek equivalent of the conventional WW3-Fulda Gap scenario, and there's a whole mess of old simulator games adored by war nerds who love to argue if a Constitution could have taken out a D7 one-on-one?

I remember in one of Shatner's books he/his ghost-writers had a bunch of Borg cubes join up to form a gigantic mega-cube.

("You mean a hyper-cube?" no because that was a different part of the book...)
You could actually make those in Armada II. Fusion cubes. Ridiculous murder machines, those things.

Marshal Radisic fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 3, 2014

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Marshal Radisic posted:

Does this mean that a TOS-era Federation-Klingon war is Trek equivalent of the conventional WW3-Fulda Gap scenario, and there's a whole mess of old simulator games adored by war nerds who love to argue if a Constitution could have taken out a D7 one-on-one?

The latter is actually a solved question thanks to the events of Elaan of Troyius.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

BBC America just started running HD TNGs, apparently. Encounter at Farpoint just started and its kinda hilarious looking.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

God, this up-pointed angle on Picard in Q's court must have seemed so loving avant-garde and cinematic at the time.

E: And look at that depth-of-field focus shifting. That probably was almost completely lost at broadcast resolution.

E: Those are some of the tastiest-looking apples I've ever seen. :psyduck:

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 4, 2014

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Data Graham posted:

God, this up-pointed angle on Picard in Q's court must have seemed so loving avant-garde and cinematic at the time.

E: And look at that depth-of-field focus shifting. That probably was almost completely lost at broadcast resolution.

The apples in that episode reminded me of the mealy, flavorless Red Delicious apples we used to get in school.

Crancherry
May 29, 2014

Pork Pro

Data Graham posted:

I was just thinking Riker took a bite of wax fruit because I've never seen an apple that shiny.

Also, O'Brien in red is just wrong.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Data's using the shuttlecraft to transport an admiral over to the 'hood :whatup: "

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Still can't get over the part at the beginning when Picard is like "we'll foil Q's plans by faxing orders around! That'll show him!"

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Wow, the actual blu-rays look quite a bit better. MPEG2 compression for rebroadcast mutes some detail.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Entropic posted:

I pinned colonists as future hipsters. Get closer to the land, live off the sweat of labor, the Federation is losing touch with good old-fashioned hard work, true pioneer spirit is carving out a home not jaunting around in a hopped-up cruise liner packed with creature comforts, etc. etc. Like if Worf grew up reading only Little House on the Prarie books and killed a child with a tractor.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
After watching Django Unchained, that group of back-to-the-earth types who kept shoving Sisko in The Box look even more evil.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The Dark One posted:

After watching Django Unchained, that group of back-to-the-earth types who kept shoving Sisko in The Box look even more evil.

The ending to that episode really bothered me. The correct course of action would be for Sisko to arrest the crazy nature cult lady on murder charges for the "colonist" deaths and 100+ counts of kidnapping. Then Starfleet sends a ship to recover the colonists for years of therapy and deprogramming.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

YES. VAK-SEEN in HD. Now my life is complete

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Gonz posted:

The hell with holodecks. There are REAL TOILETS and REAL BATHROOMS on Earth. And janitors have to clean those toilets/bathrooms each day.

Federation janitors. Who clean up piss and poo poo for all of Earth.

For FREE.

To "better themselves and the human race". Somehow.

Nice utopia, Roddenberry. :colbert:

The longer I live the more I become convinced the greatest application for the transporter would be cleaning. Next time you're scrubbing a pot, mopping the floor or cleaning a toilet imagine how loving nice it would be to just transport all that dirt and grime away in an instant.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Even easier, just have a force-field hugging the surface. I meant, look how good it is at protecting today's toilets!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The TV IV: Star Trek: The Science of Poop

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
No one would ever be constipated because transporters.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
If we're gonna talk about internal transporting and we've already mentioned Neelix's holo-lungs, can we talk about B'Elanna's holo-fetus? Creepy.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

The longer I live the more I become convinced the greatest application for the transporter would be cleaning. Next time you're scrubbing a pot, mopping the floor or cleaning a toilet imagine how loving nice it would be to just transport all that dirt and grime away in an instant.

Holographic cookware, you don't even need to clean it.

Just set it down on a sheet of paper when you're done, "Computer, delete holograms", and just take the leftover food and waste, wrap it up into a little ball and throw it into the recycler.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Soylent Pudding posted:

The ending to that episode really bothered me. The correct course of action would be for Sisko to arrest the crazy nature cult lady on murder charges for the "colonist" deaths and 100+ counts of kidnapping. Then Starfleet sends a ship to recover the colonists for years of therapy and deprogramming.

Well they did get the first part right. She was arrested and hauled back to answer for that very thing.

The second part should have happened though. Trying to leave it on a "Maybe they're better off there!" note is absolutely silly. Those people needed a ship load of psychiatrists.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Holographic cookware, you don't even need to clean it.

Just set it down on a sheet of paper when you're done, "Computer, delete holograms", and just take the leftover food and waste, wrap it up into a little ball and throw it into the recycler.

There's always that one hilarious episode of TNG where a hologram explosion was so potent everyone picked up a real explosion... for reasons.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

CeeCee posted:

I was just thinking Riker took a bite of wax fruit because I've never seen an apple that shiny.

You do get apples that shiny in real life, by (appropriately enough) buffing them with wax.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
A good prank in Star Trek would be to, instead of sticking a "Kick me" or "Kirk is a Jerk" sign on someone's back, stick the EMH hologram emitter on 'em, and program it to a) make itself invisible, and b) make it seem like the person's face is turning all ugly and pimply or something, or that they got pregnant (better if they're a male) or whatever.

edit: actually, considering the magic superpowers of the holograms in trek, if you had the EMH emitter stuck on your belt, you would pretty much be some kind of weird superman who had Glitch from Reboot

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DirtyRobot posted:

edit: actually, considering the magic superpowers of the holograms in trek, if you had the EMH emitter stuck on your belt, you would pretty much be some kind of weird superman who had Glitch from Reboot

Well it'd basically be a mini forcefield emitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sash! posted:

YES. VAK-SEEN in HD. Now my life is complete

There's something really freaking bizarre about HD in 4:3.

And that's on top of HD rape gangs and HD Wesley falling in puddles and HD Picard's Butt-head Laugh.

• Locked thread