Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I just aced the T-34-57 and I'm about to unlock the 34-D-5T, but I get the impression it's a worse tank than the -57 :confused: Lower MV, not enough extra pen to matter, massive profile compared to -57, and it's going to be going up against Panthers and Tigers.

Am I wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
The 85mm will one-shot pretty much everything it can pen, which can be handy. It also has excellent turret armor, I've often bounced rounds from the 75mm L/70.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Its good, but you just run into cases where there's gently caress all you can do to the tigers and panthers you're up against.

I prefer it to the -57 though, since you one shot Pz IV's and tank destroyers, whereas the -57 always seems to take so many hits to kill someone.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Dezztroy posted:

The 85mm will one-shot pretty much everything it can pen, which can be handy. It also has excellent turret armor, I've often bounced rounds from the 75mm L/70.

But it does face Panthers and Tigers almost always. Its fine if you position yourself right / the enemy is an idiot, but against a good opponent you will struggle. You will be getting less RP per match most likely as you wont be completely dominating as you probably were in the 57.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I have been working on spading all of the planes in the UK lineup in RB and I have to say that it is very lucrative. I am having no money problems at all, and it won't take me too long to get my first jet, the Vampire. So far I have spaded both era I and era II. I think the best part is that you get a bunch of flying experience in regard to shooting down planes that now that I have Hispanos rather than whatever the biplanes have, I am slaughtering things. The worst thing about it is, of course, spading the Wellingtons. The UK needs to design bombers better.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

jadebullet posted:

my first jet, the Vampire.

I hope you're prepared for complete disappointment.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Dezztroy posted:

I thought the Vampire was better now that they fixed the FM?

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Which should I use for SPAA, ap rounds or fragmentation/he rounds???

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I run 10 ap and 47 frag on the GAZ.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

YellerBill posted:

I thought the Vampire was better now that they fixed the FM?

Better than poo poo is still bad.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Thief posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM3ktULXVx0&hd=1

the il-2 is pretty fun imo

also the salamander is the new king of beginner jets since f-80s got nerfed and :911: fotm players still can't do anything but try to head on you :getin:

With AP belts in the IL-2 you can murder Hetzers, Stugs, possibly the first Jagdpanzer and I'm pretty sure you could get a PzIVC with them as well.

Where's my goddamn 37mm Cannon upgrade and cassette bombs at gaijin :argh:

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
They made the 23mm good against tanks now? In the CBT it was awful and you needed 100+ hits just to take out a Pz IV.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

You need to hit them from above. The german assault guns have next to no armor on the roof, in fact a Stug A can be killed from above by an I-15 using AP rounds if you really wanted. I'm guessing the first Jagdpanzer is killable via 23mm AP shells since it's extremely similar to the Hetzer, I doubt the IV/70 is as squishy.

SpaceBanditos
Aug 29, 2006

Did you hear maracas?
So I asked on the official forums about the ammo costs I and a few otheres were talking about earlier in this thread and here is the answer..

quote:

SpaceBanditos:

Is there a particular reason why APCR for Soviet T3/T4 Tanks is fairly comically over priced when compared to any other ammunition (particularly the equivalently tiered German medium tanks)? It's coming in to the tune of 740 lions (T-34-85) and 970 lions (T-44) PER SHOT.... the German equivalent is in the neighborhood of ~320 lions per shot at the same tiers...

It's not going to bankrupt me, but when I have to spend 168,000 lions for 174 rounds of APCR on the T44 instead of 80,000 lions for 237 rounds of APCR on the Panther G it’s kind of messed up. I'm thinking that unless there is some deliberate reason for these rounds to be 300% more expensive on a per round basis that the price should be made comparable.

I've noticed the same thing on German Tank Destroyers where the cost per round of APCR is around 1100 - 1200 lions per round... where the Soviet TD's don't even have an equivalent for comparison.

So what's the deal?

quote:

Moderator:

These prices can be changed, especially in every major patch, according to the usage stats, the efficiency and other measures.

Regards!

So it's basically the cannon Corsair, you use it because its good and you will pay out the nose for it. Mystery solved.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

"JEW TANK WTF JEWS CAN'T DRIVE TANKS"

- War Thunder player, 2014

Considering the Israeli army has some of the sickest tank k/d ratios in history, this dude couldn't be more wrong.

Also, SB tanks is great. The planes rarely have any impact on the battle, because almost everyone is terrible at SB planes. I sure can't fly SB planes well either, but I can fly them well enough to drop 1000kg bombs on whoever killed me when I respawn.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Jesus christ, the flight from the Kursk airfield to the tank battlefield is a loving commute.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Fart Car '97 posted:

I just aced the T-34-57 and I'm about to unlock the 34-D-5T, but I get the impression it's a worse tank than the -57 :confused: Lower MV, not enough extra pen to matter, massive profile compared to -57, and it's going to be going up against Panthers and Tigers.

Am I wrong?

Nope, you're right. The T-34-57 is easily the best tier 3 Russian tank. In my opinion the 85mm is a shittier gun than the 57mm, and you get hosed by Panthers and Tigers all day.

A lot of people like to defend the T-34-85 with the fact that you can one shot Panthers and Tigers if you land a good shot. Meanwhile, they have a pretty much guaranteed one-shot kill on you.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Geisladisk posted:

Nope, you're right. The T-34-57 is easily the best tier 3 Russian tank. In my opinion the 85mm is a shittier gun than the 57mm, and you get hosed by Panthers and Tigers all day.

A lot of people like to defend the T-34-85 with the fact that you can one shot Panthers and Tigers if you land a good shot. Meanwhile, they have a pretty much guaranteed one-shot kill on you.

I own the T-34-57 mod 43 and honestly I just played it too much and got bored, the 57mm is an excellent gun but it doesn't have the thrill of an 85mm.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Why the gently caress is Britain a normal RB map? It is hopeless for the Brits if the germans have any idea what they're doing. Most of the time they don't but every now and then you come across a german team that just climbs up and there is poo poo-all you can do about it.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Fart Car '97 posted:

Why the gently caress is Britain a normal RB map? It is hopeless for the Brits if the germans have any idea what they're doing. Most of the time they don't but every now and then you come across a german team that just climbs up and there is poo poo-all you can do about it.

And how is that different from other :britain: vs :godwinning: maps? Though usually the :britain: pilots get dragged down by :911: pilots. Though you can climb to the side and wait for the furball to develop. And hope your team doesn't get slaughter by stalling hopelessly. Or tell your team to protect you and then continue to play the helpless victim. Be the highest on your team and drag all 109s and Fick Wolfs down.

Also fly the Hellcat Mk.I, Spit XVI or Typhoon/Tempest.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Geisladisk posted:

Considering the Israeli army has some of the sickest tank k/d ratios in history, this dude couldn't be more wrong.

Also, SB tanks is great. The planes rarely have any impact on the battle, because almost everyone is terrible at SB planes. I sure can't fly SB planes well either, but I can fly them well enough to drop 1000kg bombs on whoever killed me when I respawn.

Wasn't it like 2 Conqueror tanks vs 160 of the other guy?

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Is the SU-152 worth it? I'm to the point where lions start to matter, and I really dont feel like wasting them on something thats going to be a repeat of the slog that was the SU-122.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
People having no idea how to play the SU-122 ITT.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Hey, that's real fuckin' helpful, thanks for the post.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Geisladisk posted:

Jesus christ, the flight from the Kursk airfield to the tank battlefield is a loving commute.

It's something stupid like 14km, isn't it? I respawned in one of the Soviet biplanes after my T-60 died trying to kill a StuG A point-blank from behind and I couldn't get to the battle in time.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Duck_King posted:

Is the SU-152 worth it? I'm to the point where lions start to matter, and I really dont feel like wasting them on something thats going to be a repeat of the slog that was the SU-122.

The Su-152 has a better gun (more boom, better ballistics), better armor but is less agile/fast. If you didn't like the Su-122, chances are that you won't like the 152 either. I guess you'd be better off going for medium/heavy Tanks according to your preferences. And above all: play what is fun for you to play.
There is no need to :s: everything. Unless your OCD demands it.

EDIT:
But I probably should point out that I'm biased against most Su-122 (+) TDs.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Duck_King posted:

I play very aggressively. The gun is too inaccurate and reloads too slowly to waste a shot on misses. Get close. Shoot once and they are either dead or crippled, so scoot back into cover while reloading. If you're going 1v1 against an enemy tank and he knows you're there, try angling the armor and baiting him into shooting your front. Once he shoots take your time aiming your shot while he reloads. Against enemy tank destroyers I usually try to ram them from the side so they cant shoot me, then take my time getting my shot in. If not then I treat them like everyone else.

Prioritize targets as well. 99% of the time any tank you land a hit on is at least taken out of the fight for a while. The stubby-gunned German tanks have trouble penning your front so go for IV F2s and III Ls first.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!
The SU-122 is great and the SU-152 is even better. If you don't like either, then there's no point going further into the Soviet TD line as it's more of the same.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 3, 2014

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Dezztroy posted:

It looks cool, so I don't care that much. Plus it will be fun to rocket stuff in combined arms for no reason what so ever.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Tank Boy Ken posted:

And how is that different from other :britain: vs :godwinning: maps? Though usually the :britain: pilots get dragged down by :911: pilots. Though you can climb to the side and wait for the furball to develop. And hope your team doesn't get slaughter by stalling hopelessly. Or tell your team to protect you and then continue to play the helpless victim. Be the highest on your team and drag all 109s and Fick Wolfs down.

Also fly the Hellcat Mk.I, Spit XVI or Typhoon/Tempest.

At least on other maps the Germans don't start 1km up going 350kph. You don't even really have enough map space to maneuver away from them, like other maps. I was flying a typhoon today and every time I ended up with a 109/190 above me with nothing I could do except run.

It's fine as as event when the planes/player numbers are somewhat controlled but it's just a poo poo map to have come up when you're flying british.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

Liberatore posted:

The SU-122 is great and the SU-152 is even better. If you like neither, then there's no point going further into the Soviet TD line as it's more of the same.

Not true. I like the the SU-85 a lot. The problem with the SU-122 is that the poor gun depression coupled with a glacier like reload and paper thin armor means you only get one shot, and hit or no, if he has friends you're hosed. The tall profile also means that you get hit more often than your gun will be able to fire at, so going hull down is incredibly difficult. I suppose I will skip the 152 and go straight to the 100. Edit: Errr 85m I mean.

Duck_King fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 3, 2014

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Awesome. I just got Kursk in RB.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Most people take off and fly to the East as :britain:, but going for a SSW or SW flight direction can take you out of the german approach. And yes it's an uphill fight with the german airspawn. Though that's also true for Bulge against a squad in Hitlerbolts. Though it's tough luck if your :britain: team consists of pubbies.
And with the Typhus you might get a couple of Vb/c on your team, which isn't helping. It sucks getting the map 10 times in a row though.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It doesn't show up on the higher tier rotation, so 50/50 if the Germans are clubbers or new. I usually climb towards the non airfield point past the water. If the Germans bounce on me I can try to trap them down to the AA but most often they don't want to leave the engagement zone and find a crabber elsewhere.

Makes it a pain to fly typhoons, the extra 15 seconds to start takeoff hurts.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Duck_King posted:

Not true. I like the the SU-85 a lot. The problem with the SU-122 is that the poor gun depression coupled with a glacier like reload and paper thin armor means you only get one shot, and hit or no, if he has friends you're hosed. The tall profile also means that you get hit more often than your gun will be able to fire at, so going hull down is incredibly difficult. I suppose I will skip the 152 and go straight to the 100.

That's exactly what I mean, though. Those characteristics define the last 3 Soviet TDs, as well as the SU-152 and the SU-122. Hell, poor gun depression and paper armor define every Soviet TD with the exception of the SU-85, which gets 5 degrees of suppression instead of the standard 3.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Duck_King posted:

His response is rich given that he was lamenting giving gaijin money after buying one of the closest planes to pay to win in the whole game, but he couldn't figure out how to fly it. :ironicat:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Cut it out with changing my UI scale game, that's creepy :(

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

His response is rich given that he was lamenting giving gaijin money after buying one of the closest planes to pay to win in the whole game, but he couldn't figure out how to fly it. :ironicat:

What's richer is that people still can't figure out each of those responses was ripped directly from the War Thunder Official Forums

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Though that's also true for Bulge against a squad in Hitlerbolts. Though it's tough luck if your :britain: team consists of pubbies.
And with the Typhus you might get a couple of Vb/c on your team, which isn't helping. It sucks getting the map 10 times in a row though.

That's been fixed actually.

ALso I'm really loving bad with the Typhoon. It's the one plane I cannot figure out. People say it turns well, but I find it wallows around like a pig. It's not fast, it can't handle any impressive BnZ speeds without turning into a brick. IDGI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Duck_King posted:

Not true. I like the the SU-85 a lot. The problem with the SU-122 is that the poor gun depression coupled with a glacier like reload and paper thin armor means you only get one shot, and hit or no, if he has friends you're hosed. The tall profile also means that you get hit more often than your gun will be able to fire at, so going hull down is incredibly difficult. I suppose I will skip the 152 and go straight to the 100. Edit: Errr 85m I mean.

The SU-85 and SU-100 are the exceptions to the rule that Russian TDs are all about lobbing huge HE shells to one-shot everything.

Going hull-down without a turret is not possible, seeing as you're all hull.

It sounds like you'd have a better time just using Soviet medium tanks instead.

• Locked thread