Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lindsay LoHan solo
Apr 17, 2014

This makes no sense, I know.

Benny the Snake posted:

I passed the GWT. As for the senior project, funny story. I can't remember whether it was the year I declared my major (which was the first) or if it was the year I switched my emphasis from education to lit based on a misunderstanding (long story). To make a long story short, one of those two years made me exempt from the senior project. So no, I don't have a senior thesis. Which was good because Lord knows what I would've done and how big of an embarrassment it would've been.
How do I feel about goons saying I should sign up for welfare/SSI because I'm so inept? To them I say gently caress that and have a nice day :)

Yea. Being on ssi means you are super inept I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Benny got an email from his university saying he was expelled for being a terrible student and he takes it as "I graduated early, hooray!"

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
I don't pretend to know how the American college system works, but I am pretty sure that you can't just skip a pretty critical part of a degree because <reasons>.

And please, please get rid of "I am proud to announce" from your cover letter if you haven't already. Like Rhonyn Peacemaker, I also barely read cover letters, but pushing everything I know about you to one side: if I got an application for an admin job from a recent graduate(?) and no work experience who was proudly announcing he was applying in the very first line of his cover letter, that person would be ruled out. Mostly for no relevant work experience, but also because that line tells me that you don't know what's appropriate to put in communications and will just add to the headache of trying to break a new graduate into a non-graduate role.

Lastly, regarding the welfare/SSI debate: Benny, surely there's no reason why you couldn't apply for these benefits and continue looking for work. Your parents are currently footing the bill for your continued existence, and you being an unemployed lump means you're siphoning money which otherwise should probably be going into, oh I don't know, their retirement savings. If you can't hold down a job and may have mental conditions which are contributing to the situation, then apply and use whatever money you may be entitled to to help your parents meet household costs.

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT
Going back to school for his masters degree makes a lot more sense if you replace masters degree with finish his degree.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

I love how this thread gets convinced of something and then it just becomes the de facto truth, and Benny never bothers to dispel the rumor so it goes on for way too long.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
When did you graduate? You might be stretching "recent" graduate considering at least one academic year must have passed by now.

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

I AM INTO MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS AND MANY METHODS USED IN THE STOCK MARKET

crabrock posted:

I love how this thread gets convinced of something and then it just becomes the de facto truth, and Benny never bothers to dispel the rumor so it goes on for way too long.

I should have found a funnier rumor to echo/start -- the sex offender stuff was pretty funny.

I'm still undecided about whether it's really plausible he's been lying this whole time about graduating, if only because saying "I have no degree" at the start would probably not get him a different reaction than "I have this degree that probably won't get me a job," while "I'm a dropout" and "I've been lying about having a degree" would probably earn him a lot of shame, and I feel like it's reasonably likely he would have known all that when he made the thread.

Minding, of course, that he probably values the work he did in school far more highly than I do when I make these assumptions, and his judgment has occasionally been a little lacking.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
yeah people with mental and physical health issues are just to darn inept to work, that's why they're on disability

Seriously, you dumb poo poo, disability is for people who cannot function. You are loving terrible at functioning. Don't act like you're too good or too mature or too functional, because you sure as poo poo are not.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
I'm pretty sure Benny graduated from college. It might be that I just want that to be true because one of the funnier parts of this thread was when Benny claimed to be over qualified for fast food and retail work because of his degree.

Speaking of Benny thinking he's over qualified for things..

oval office raja posted:

Seriously, you dumb poo poo, disability is for people who cannot function. You are loving terrible at functioning. Don't act like you're too good or too mature or too functional, because you sure as poo poo are not.

Tamarillo posted:

Lastly, regarding the welfare/SSI debate: Benny, surely there's no reason why you couldn't apply for these benefits and continue looking for work. Your parents are currently footing the bill for your continued existence, and you being an unemployed lump means you're siphoning money which otherwise should probably be going into, oh I don't know, their retirement savings. If you can't hold down a job and may have mental conditions which are contributing to the situation, then apply and use whatever money you may be entitled to to help your parents meet household costs.

Benny you should read these posts. This is the situation you're in right now if you can't hold a job.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
How bout instead of living off the gubbament teat, you fuckers that keep suggesting he do it pool some money and support him, seeing as you keep trying to convince him he shouldn't support himself.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Cyberball 2072 posted:

How bout instead of living off the gubbament teat, you fuckers that keep suggesting he do it pool some money and support him, seeing as you keep trying to convince him he shouldn't support himself.

I already do, they're called taxes.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cyberball 2072 posted:

Read every post from Benny in this thread. How do you suggest he support himself?

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jun 3, 2014

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Cyberball 2072 posted:

Public policy is about manipulating outcomes.

For example, homeless people in central Florida cost about ~$30,000/head/year, mostly by way of law enforcement and medical costs. A comprehensive housing program would likely cut that to ~$10,000/head/year. Given their population, that's a difference of $100,000,000+ over the next ten years. Is keeping them off the "government teat" worth paying more than $100,000,000+ extra? And keep in mind that that's just central Florida.

Without benefits, Benny will probably end up homeless. What's appropriate here?

It's never [Spend the money!] versus [Don't spend the money!] because nothing ever happens in a vacuum.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
Sorry, I forgot, laziness is totally a disability, my bad.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Cyberball 2072 posted:

Yeah, labeling the mentally ill as just "lazy" has really helped this country with its mentally ill population. Jesus christ, he's been diagnosed as having psychotic depression, which because of his lovely decision making skills, has gone largely untreated. Over a year of goon advice, ridicule, and jeering has amounted to him volunteering at a library (which sounds like he even took a break from that when he was working). It's time to face the music that this kid is broken, and should be getting some financial assistance so that he doesn't end up just another homeless crazy person begging for change and story crits. During that time he can continue to look for jobs and work with his therapist to maybe get to a point where he can find a job and support himself.

crabrock fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jun 3, 2014

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Cyberball 2072 posted:

Even if it is, he'd just lazy his way into homelessness. How much extra are you willing to pay to give him the finger? poo poo, how much extra are you willing to have me pay?

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
edit: /\/\/\/\ No you see since he's lazy it's magically okay to write him off and never help him ever.

Cyberball 2072 posted:

This is beyond lazy. Is Benny lazy? Most definitely. But there's also something fundamentally flawed with either his brain or his thought patterns, or both.

Also, I'm not certain that disability is the answer for Benny, only he can really know. I would think it's not the worst idea, because he'd be able to help his parents.

As someone with multiple mental health issues that people often view as 'laziness' and 'being weak-willed' and other dumb poo poo, you are terrible and your opinions are terrible.

Benny, is your mom still the only one working? This is part of the reason a lot of people are suggesting assistance. Your mother is trying to support a household of four people. This is difficult to do, especially since, as someone who is/was going back to school, she's probably not making a whole hell of a lot.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Cyberball 2072 posted:

He's not just lazy. He's Benny. I don't think you've read this thread all the way through.

Crabrock above me is correct. What else are we supposed to do with Benny? Shoot him?

e:

I don't know anything about disability benefits. It might NOT be the best thing for Benny but I don't see how someone can read this story and not think he's got some issues going on beyond being lazy. It's clear to all of us except Benny that his social and cognitive functioning is delayed.

Greg Legg fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jun 3, 2014

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Seriously, the choices are

A. Help him fix himself, or at least minimize him getting more broken, or
B. Let him continue to get more and more broken. The more broken, the more effort, time, and resources it's gonna take on other people's parts to help him get less broken.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I hate you Benny, I had to do mandatory internship 13 months while psychically limited and on painkillers almost 24/7. And you didn't even have to do a grad project. :argh:

That said, please just find a job in retail somewhere down the line. I could manage a cash register while tripping balls from painkillers there is no reason you can't if you apply yourself and stop trying to "be smart".

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003
EYEBALLS AND TONGUES DON'T MIX EW EW EW EW EW
Benny, post a scan of your diploma with your name blurred out.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
About that, it's a long, funny story. Long story short, no.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Haha Benny didn't even graduate from college.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
To go back to the cover letter for a moment, it's

Benny the Snake's cover letter posted:

I look forward to becoming a member of your corporate team.

that gets me.

Why are you writing as if you've been offered, and accepted, the position you are only just applying for, Benny? :psyduck:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

franco posted:

To go back to the cover letter for a moment, it's

that gets me.

Why are you writing as if you've been offered, and accepted, the position you are only just applying for, Benny? :psyduck:

He's showing forward thinking and being confident.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Arch Stanton posted:

Benny, post a scan of your diploma with your name blurred out.

Please do this, if you can do this you should gain support.

Snap a photo of it and ms paint out your name. Lets see this poo poo.

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008

Cyberball 2072 posted:

Benny is lazy.

Benny is also extremely unintelligent. I would wager he's below average IQ (not that that's a perfect measure of brain function, but it's convenient). In addition to that, he may have legitimate brain function problems.

I mean, what else can he do? He is below functionality for minimum wage jobs. He can't bootstrap his way out of an 80 IQ.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It's also possible that none of us have a clue whether Benny is disabled or not because we're random nerds who paid tenbux to jeer at him on the internet.

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004

Strategic Tea posted:

It's also possible that none of us have a clue whether Benny is disabled or not because we're random nerds who paid tenbux to jeer at him on the internet.

It's probably even more likely that he doesn't actually have a degree.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
So Benny pretty much definitely does not have a degree, that much is established

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Benny the Snake posted:

I passed the GWT. As for the senior project, funny story. I can't remember whether it was the year I declared my major (which was the first) or if it was the year I switched my emphasis from education to lit based on a misunderstanding (long story). To make a long story short, one of those two years made me exempt from the senior project. So no, I don't have a senior thesis. Which was good because Lord knows what I would've done and how big of an embarrassment it would've been.

I googled "GWT" because I had no idea what it stood for. "Google Web Tooklit" came up, so I tried "GWT writing" which returned the name of the college you "graduated" from.

Seriously, Benny... Do you have a physical, on-paper bachelor's degree with your name on it? Do you have an associate's degree? A certificate? Because "GWT" is very specific to your school and in no way an actual, standardized thing that every English/Literature student needs, in order to graduate.

What was the "misunderstanding?" Seriously, what was it? We have time and it sounds important. I'm getting the impression that it's so long, you did a combination of blocking, replacing and hand-picking information from the story which translated the ending from "you'll get to walk with your class, but you'll need to do X,Y and Z in order to receive your diploma." to "It's fine, you're exempt from the senior thesis."

I'm serious, Benny. What happened?

VelveetaAvenger
Nov 3, 2011

Boom!

Benny the Snake posted:

I was caught by surprise when I found out in January that the university graduated me automatically. Ordinarily I'd have to apply two quarters in advance.

Benny the Snake posted:

I'm just as confused. I tried to apply for graduation online and I couldn't do it there. So my advisor called the department and told me to go to the Registar's office. Once I got there, I was told that the department had graduated me. And a month later, I have my diploma. I'm not asking questions.

This is still my personal favorite Benny moment, although it seems to have been overshadowed by all the other craziness in the past year.

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004

VelveetaAvenger posted:

This is still my personal favorite Benny moment, although it seems to have been overshadowed by all the other craziness in the past year.

He's a writer, lying comes easily, Holmes.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Benny has a Ph.D in psychology and we're all going to appear in a paper about gullible idiots on the internet sometime in the next year or so.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

docbeard posted:

Benny has a Ph.D in psychology and we're all going to appear in a paper about gullible idiots on the internet sometime in the next year or so.

A smart person could not possibly play this dumb

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Or, you know how Odin would sometimes disguise himself as a common down-on-his-luck fellow and put people to the test about their generosity?

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm sorry, I totally forgot about those quotes from a few posts up. Forgive me, it's been a little over a year.

So you do have a diploma? I wasn't on board with the sex offender rumor, but this one... Weeeellllll...

Can you just scan it with your personal info blacked out, so we can be sure? Sorry, it's just that "I graduated and I didn't even know it" isn't all that believable. Are you sure this "diploma" you speak of isn't actually something else they sent you? Like a financial aid statement, or invitation to that year's graduation or something?

\/ In all honesty, the "internet detective" cards are all on the table. Black it out for the sake of blacking it out, but everyone who has wanted to internet detective Benny has already done so and the rest of us don't give a poo poo. That flood gate has long been open.

cname fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 3, 2014

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Also don't use the blur tool or something in PS if you do, that can be reversed. just put a box over stuff in paint or something.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

docbeard posted:

Or, you know how Odin would sometimes disguise himself as a common down-on-his-luck fellow and put people to the test about their generosity?

I've also read the one about Zeus manifesting as a swan with a diaper fetish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy
Serious question: could this be some kind of paperwork error? Like, the administration accidentally graduated Benny when they weren't supposed to? It would fit the "I went to apply but they said I was graduated already."

• Locked thread