Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!
I kind of want a Wii U because I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the N64 and I'd like to play the Zelda and Mario games I've missed since.

The issue is that it's still ~£250 and as I've already got a PS4, it seems a bit silly.

If I could get the latest Super Mario, HD WInd Waker and MK8 for £200 I'd probably jump.

not not luvd fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

greatn posted:

I think they really could if they wanted. They would have to patch a lot of their own games but they have not appeared patch averse to say the least.

You wouldn't have to worry about splitting the controller base for third parties, because there are no third parties. They could still make some of their own games require it and sell it separately, like the kinect I guess.

They probably could, but it's too late and wouldn't matter at this point. Like what's about to happen to the Xbox...

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

greatn posted:

I think they really could if they wanted. They would have to patch a lot of their own games but they have not appeared patch averse to say the least.

You wouldn't have to worry about splitting the controller base for third parties, because there are no third parties. They could still make some of their own games require it and sell it separately, like the kinect I guess.

At this point the single worst thing Nintendo could do for the Wii U at this point is split it's small install base even further by making a second SKU without the tablet. The tablet is an albatross around nintendo's neck but between alienating existing users by abandoning the controller forced upon them and further confusing the general public by releasing a non-tablet package of that system that is known as 'the tablet add-on fo Wii' it would be console suicide. Even if they're abandoning the Wii U shortly, they would lose money on the cost of redesigning the OS and important games to work sans tablet.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

not not luvd posted:

I kind of want a Wii U because I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the N64 and I'd like to play the Zelda and Mario games I've missed since.

The issue is that it's still ~£250 and as I've already got a PS4, it seems a bit silly.

If I could get the latest Super Mario, HD WInd Waker and MK8 for £200 I'd probably jump.

Wasn't Tesco selling the MK8 Bundle for £200 at some point? You could have bought all that stuff for £240.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Astro7x posted:

Except they kinda do that already. Looking at the stuff Nintendo has released.

December 2012-May 2013 - NOTHING
June 2013- Super Luigi U, Game and Wario
July 2013 - Nothing
August 2013 - Pikmin 3, Pokémon Rumble U
September 2013 - Wind Waker HD (Wonderful 101 as well as a big non Nintendo release)
October 2013 - Wii Party U
November 2013 - Wii Sports Bowling/Tennis, Super Mario 3D World
December 2013 - NES Remix, Wii Sports Golf, Sonic at the Olympic Games
January 2014 - Dr. Luigi
February 2014 - DKC Tropical Freeze
March 2014 - Nothing
April 2014 - NES Remix 2
May 2014 - Mario Kart 8
June 2014 - Wii Sports Club Baseball/Boxing, Pushmo World (Japan for now)
August 2014 - Hyrule Warriors (Japan)

Nobody pays much attention to the digital releases which is a problem, but NES Remix was popular enough that it did get a sequel...
Well, there can't be any nothing at all. They can't miss a single month. A month without a Nintendo title is a month people's consoles are collecting cobwebs instead of being on, being in your store, making impulse purchases. No one else is supporting Wii U so a month without a Nintendo title is a month without anything. A month of dead air.

And who knows if Bayonetta 2 is still on track for this year, or SMT vs Fire Emblem, or X, or Yarn Yoshi. There's a lot up in the air right now. I think that people will be underwhelmed if Nintendo's Wii U portion of E3 is focused on those 4 titles and not new announcements, but at least we'd have an idea of when they're coming?

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Mr. Locke posted:

At this point the single worst thing Nintendo could do for the Wii U at this point is split it's small install base even further by making a second SKU without the tablet. The tablet is an albatross around nintendo's neck but between alienating existing users by abandoning the controller forced upon them and further confusing the general public by releasing a non-tablet package of that system that is known as 'the tablet add-on fo Wii' it would be console suicide. Even if they're abandoning the Wii U shortly, they would lose money on the cost of redesigning the OS and important games to work sans tablet.

Oh, I agree it's obviously too late to do that now. I was just saying in hindsight. :shrug:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
With Nintendo, foresight is 20/20, hindsight is 30/20.

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

Astro7x posted:

Wasn't Tesco selling the MK8 Bundle for £200 at some point? You could have bought all that stuff for £240.

Hmm really? I guess I should look out for bargains.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Astro7x posted:

Except they kinda do that already. Looking at the stuff Nintendo has released.

December 2012-May 2013 -
June 2013- Super Luigi U, Minigame collection
July 2013 -
August 2013 - Pikmin 3, Pokémon Rumble U
September 2013 - Wind Waker HD (Wonderful 101 as well as a big non Nintendo release)
October 2013 - Minigame collection
November 2013 - Minigame collection, Super Mario 3D World
December 2013 - Minigame collection, Minigame collection, Minigame collection
January 2014 - Dr. Luigi????
February 2014 - DKC Tropical Freeze
March 2014 -
April 2014 - Minigame collection
May 2014 - Mario Kart 8
June 2014 - Minigame collection, Pushmo World (Japan for now)

Looking at the list, there's still a good handful of games that I'm interested in. Might be worth picking up now if I can find one at a good price.

edit: I might be being unfair to the various sports titles

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Edmund Honda posted:

SM3DW, NSMBU, Mario Kart 8, Pikmin, ZombiU, Tropical Freeze, W101, that LEGO game? NES Remix? Nintendoland? ... Wind Waker?

You forgot Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and Super Luigi U.

And those NES Remixes are just average. Like they don't even have a physical release and they shouldn't even be considered top tier Wii-U releases being that they're all using bits from 30 year old games. They're not the best justification for a $200+ system. I mean geez Playsation 2 had stuff like Capcom Classics Volumes 1 and 2 and Taito legends 1 and 2. And nobody thought those were anything above bargain games.

Although ZombiU and Lego City are only worth it if you can get them for 5 bucks again.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 3, 2014

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
ZombiU is actually a legitimately good game, though it is possible to get yourself into unwinnable situations, unfortunately. It really is a lot like a Zombie orientated Dark Souls. God drat shame about the inventory management, though it does add a certain suspense to be looking at the Gamepad when a Zombie attacks and surprises you.

I'd say its at least worth $20 - 30 considering its a well put together, challenging game with some charm for fans of survival horror. And it offers more gameplay time than, say, Ground Zeros, a competing console game for about the same price. Though, it doesn't compete much in the graphics department.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

The Taint Reaper posted:

And those NES Remixes are just average. Like they don't even have a physical release and they shouldn't even be considered top tier Wii-U releases being that they're all using bits from 30 year old games. They're not the best justification for a $200+ system. I mean geez Playsation 2 had stuff like Capcom Classics Volumes 1 and 2 and Taito legends 1 and 2. And nobody thought those were anything above bargain games.

Although ZombiU and Lego City are only worth it if you can get them for 5 bucks again.

To say Zombi U is only worth 5 dollars is loving idiotic. God your posts suck so much poo poo

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The Taint Reaper posted:

The NES Remixes did get a boxed, retail release although it hasn't been released for NA/PAL markets because Nintendo.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

hubris.height posted:

ZombiU is actually a legitimately good game, though it is possible to get yourself into unwinnable situations, unfortunately. It really is a lot like a Zombie orientated Dark Souls. God drat shame about the inventory management, though it does add a certain suspense to be looking at the Gamepad when a Zombie attacks and surprises you.

I'd say its at least worth $20 - 30 considering its a well put together, challenging game with some charm for fans of survival horror. And it offers more gameplay time than, say, Ground Zeros, a competing console game for about the same price. Though, it doesn't compete much in the graphics department.

I'm pretty sure they patched the vast majority of the unwinnable states sometime last year. It's sincerely a great game if you want a game that's actual survivor horror, and the multiplayer (two player only) is surprisingly well done.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Kewpuh posted:

To say Zombi U is only worth 5 dollars is loving idiotic. God your posts suck so much poo poo

Personally it really didn't strike me as that good a game, I mean it's a non-Nintendo launch game and it's no Rogue Leader, but I must have played before they patched stuff.

I mean right now it's been going for around 20 dollars and amazon is selling it for 13 bucks new with prime shipping.

So 5 dollars is not out of the realms of possibility or an insult, it's just not an expensive game. I mean geez TRU is still selling a bunch of Wii-U launch games like Mass Effect 3 for around the same price.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Kewpuh posted:

Someone with a differing opinion than me about video games is loving idiotic! Wow!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Can we please lose the hostility here? I would prefer to talk about video games in a way that doesn't make us call each other "loving idiots" or "worthless piles of trash". Thank you.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Go back to Miiverse.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
To note Sonic Racing Transformed, Tekken, mass Effect 3, Darksiders II and many other wii-u launch games have been at under 10 dollars at numerous points in time since the Wii-U has launched.

Getting games for cheap is not a sin or a bad thing, for we live in a world where Steam and PSN exists, paying less for games is always a good thing. Getting games for free is better, but never pay over 20 dollars for a videogame.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

Can we please lose the hostility here? I would prefer to talk about video games in a way that doesn't make us call each other "loving idiots" or "worthless piles of trash". Thank you.

I agree, we can keep those terms firmly directed at Nintendo of Japan and the Wii-U, respectively.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

They still have not showed anyone what the Gamepad can do. It is a terrible mess of a controller and they deserve every bit of laughter that comes their way about that.

I honestly don't know what people even expect it to do, its a simple touchscreen. Pretty much everything you can do with it you could do with the (3)ds's 2nd screen,and has been done already. I do think the ability to play games on just the gamepad screen is awesome though and worth it alone, but that's just me.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I don't know either. Nintendo keeps saying the Gamepad has the potential to offer unique gaming experiences, though. The best game out for the system, Mario Kart 8, uses the entire resistive touchscreen as a horn button.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mandrel posted:

I agree, we can keep those terms firmly directed at Nintendo of Japan and the Wii-U, respectively.

Sounds good to me.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Suspicious Dish posted:

The best game out for the system, Mario Kart 8, uses the entire resistive touchscreen as a horn button.

Can you use it for a minimap?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Tengames posted:

I honestly don't know what people even expect it to do, its a simple touchscreen. Pretty much everything you can do with it you could do with the (3)ds's 2nd screen,and has been done already. I do think the ability to play games on just the gamepad screen is awesome though and worth it alone, but that's just me.

To me, it feels like a glorified version of the GameCube - GBA connectivity. Only instead of being an optional extra, it's a big clunky necessity.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

The_Frag_Man posted:

You have a display that shows the places of everyone and their items on the left(useful for seeing when someone gets a blue shell or if someone behind you has a red shell), a giant horn in the middle, and three windows over on the right. Clicking any of the three windows maximizes it to take over the display. The first is a duplication of the TV mainly for off TV play. The second is the minimap. I don't remember what the third window is. maybe there's only two. From any of those you can swipe back to the main display.

Ravenicus
Jun 30, 2013
I really like just being able to play console games on the touchpad. I mean, it's great. You can watch Netflix on the PS3, or someone else can be playing a game, and you can keep playing Wii U. That's the thing I use it for the most and it works great for that alone.

For actual uses though, I wish they would take more inspiration from Nintendoland. That did it the best.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Fremry posted:

To me, it feels like a glorified version of the GameCube - GBA connectivity. Only instead of being an optional extra, it's a big clunky necessity.

Connectivity was awesome with the games that used it (Crystal chronicals and 4swords adventure) but like the gamepad,gba connectivity was an annoying expense with needing multiple cables and people to bring thier gba's over to play. The gamepad would be a lot cooler if every player had thier own, but it would just be way too expensive to be practical(not to mention they would take up a large amount of space when not in use)

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Gamespot is reporting that Nintendo will not only be doing their Nintendo Direct for E3, but immediately following the direct they will be doing a "Nintendo Minute: Live @ E3", post-show recap that will go into even more detail about what they announced.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-announces-full-e3-schedule/1100-6420053/

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Nintendo Minute is generally a "recap for stupid people" video series that is usually downloadable from the 3DS eShop so I dunno if they'll have anything significantly new to talk about in it. I think the main thing will be Nintendo Treehouse's live streaming from E3 every day of the convention.

Honestly, I've talked poo poo on Wii U up and down, but I think Nintendo is doing E3 right this year, ON PAPER. My problem last year was that Nintendo was practically invisible to the consumer, by having just the one E3 Nintendo Direct stream and then only addressing the media and retailers after that point (they had a mini-keynote on the show floor just for the press!!), leaving the consumers in the dark and basically being very hands off.

This year they'll be doing the E3 Nintendo Direct, AND they'll be livestreaming their booth all convention long with live gameplay demos and interviews, AND they'll be livestreaming the Smash Bros tournament which is promotion for that game and Wii U. They're making themselves very accessible and visible this year, instead of hiding.

The reason I say ON PAPER, of course, is because there's a 50-50 chance that Nintendo's E3 offerings are extremely paltry, which would negate the benefits that increased visibility would give them. But I talk a lot about how Nintendo's lack of visibility and access has been the biggest thorn in their side, so hopefully this represents a tentative change in that philosophy.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 4, 2014

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

The_Frag_Man posted:

It's awful because you have to take your eyes entirely off the road, and just like real life you usually crash.

or get hit with a projectile.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

The Taint Reaper posted:

It's awful because you have to take your eyes entirely off the road, and just like real life you usually crash.

Balance it on top of your TV and play with a different controller so it's kinda like a GPS!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Ravenicus posted:

I really like just being able to play console games on the touchpad. I mean, it's great. You can watch Netflix on the PS3, or someone else can be playing a game, and you can keep playing Wii U. That's the thing I use it for the most and it works great for that alone.

For actual uses though, I wish they would take more inspiration from Nintendoland. That did it the best.

I have yet to see a well implemented non-map/inventory/select attack use that has been created for primarily single-player games. There's innovation in the pad, yes, but its no Wiimote as far as breaking boundaries is concerned.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
The Gamepad actually works really well as a regular controller, it feels really good. That said, almost no games use the touch screen so there's not much benefit over just using a real controller. I really wish the WiiU got some major indie support, because I think there are some loving amazing things that could be done with the tech, hell, Nintendo Land had some incredible proof-of-concept stuff, and now the best games on the console (DKC, SM3D, MK8) barely use the bad boy.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Suspicious Dish posted:

I don't know either. Nintendo keeps saying the Gamepad has the potential to offer unique gaming experiences, though. The best game out for the system, Mario Kart 8, uses the entire resistive touchscreen as a horn button.

It totally does!

The only problem is that the experience is like playing a game on your iphone while watching netflix. It doesn't help that I'm terribly nearsighted and switching from small text on a small screen close to my face to a big screen meters away takes two-three seconds of adjustment, it's like focusing with a dslr but incredibly uncomfortable.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

The Taint Reaper posted:

did you know that your constant hyperbole has the unintended effect of just making you look Really Bad At Games

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

The Gamepad could have been used as your rearview mirror in MK8 and that would have been awesome. Instead it's useless poo poo with the bonus effect of removing the map from the screen entirely even if you play with a different controller.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Austrian mook posted:

The Gamepad actually works really well as a regular controller, it feels really good. That said, almost no games use the touch screen so there's not much benefit over just using a real controller. I really wish the WiiU got some major indie support, because I think there are some loving amazing things that could be done with the tech, hell, Nintendo Land had some incredible proof-of-concept stuff, and now the best games on the console (DKC, SM3D, MK8) barely use the bad boy.

The main hope for this sort of thing, right now, is an indie project called Hex Heroes, a party RTS game that plans to use the Gamepad in place of mouse controls, which is pretty much what the big advantage should be from this thing. If it can prove the mechanic works, it might encourage others to follow suit.

That or they'll just see a quirky indie game and continuing limiting its usage in their main games.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Katana Gomai posted:

The Gamepad could have been used as your rearview mirror in MK8 and that would have been awesome. Instead it's useless poo poo with the bonus effect of removing the map from the screen entirely even if you play with a different controller.

This. Like, how is "rear view mirror" not the very first thing that comes into your head for the gamepad? Nintendo does this with every single console. They come up with some spin on how to control a game and then completely half-rear end any support for it in their games. It wasn't a huge deal in the past when the gimmicky controller was always an optional accessory tacked on to an otherwise successful console.

The two times it actually worked was with the Wii motion controller and the rumble pack for the N64. The reason they worked is because every game (including third party) supported them in some meaningful way. When first party games can't even implement it in a way that feels natural and necessary, it's dead in the water.

Edit: It ends up feeling like a gimmick and the downside to that is when the gimmick doesn't pan out, people feel duped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kittenchops
Jul 24, 2013

greatn posted:

You have a display that shows the places of everyone and their items on the left(useful for seeing when someone gets a blue shell or if someone behind you has a red shell), a giant horn in the middle, and three windows over on the right. Clicking any of the three windows maximizes it to take over the display. The first is a duplication of the TV mainly for off TV play. The second is the minimap. I don't remember what the third window is. maybe there's only two. From any of those you can swipe back to the main display.

The third window is actually a button to turn on motion controls to use the game pad like a wiimote in a plastic wheel.

It's useful if you want to lose every race! :thumbsup:

• Locked thread