Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Weebs is now able to get his back legs under him and scoot around on his front knees and can sometimes stand and take a few steps before wiping out. Its not huge but its progress and that's all I need right now. He had a bit of a setback yesterday because he got stuck in a really sunny spot and was struggling for a while before I found him and got super overheated (107.5!) but I got his temp down and made sure he was hydrated and he seems to be back on track today.

Poor Weebles, you get better right this minute mister! We want videos of you wobbling all over the farm for years to come, you hear me?

quote:

A freakishly massive columbia ewe. She towered over those young hamps in the background and had a huge butt.

That sheep's rear end is massive. I want to pet it really badly. If I find some "come look at the sheep/goats/whatever!" shows in my area, would they let me pet their sheep? Assuming the sheep was cool with it obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Keep up the good work Weebles!

Also I can't decide what is more striking, how big that sheep is or how clean that sheep is. I take it sheep and the like that get taken to those shows get a big scrubbing. :3:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Women's Rights? posted:

Poor Weebles, you get better right this minute mister! We want videos of you wobbling all over the farm for years to come, you hear me?

That sheep's rear end is massive. I want to pet it really badly. If I find some "come look at the sheep/goats/whatever!" shows in my area, would they let me pet their sheep? Assuming the sheep was cool with it obviously.

I think a lot of people at fairs are happy to talk about their sheep and let you pat them. If you find a county fair or something its usually kids showing their sheep and they're usually happy that someone has recognized all the hard work they put into it and want to know more. Fiber festivals often have livestock to pat too and are very encouraging of people touching their products if you want to get your hands into some raw fleeces or whatever.

McDragon posted:

Keep up the good work Weebles!

Also I can't decide what is more striking, how big that sheep is or how clean that sheep is. I take it sheep and the like that get taken to those shows get a big scrubbing. :3:

Yeah show sheep, especially the commercial meat breeds are slick shorn (shaved really close) and washed before shows and then have to wear that klan rally outfit to keep themselves clean until they're done. You don't want shaggy, filthy sheep in your show. Pretty much all the sheep there were spotless (except the spotty romney who was very clean but spotty none the less).

Not my picture but here is a columbia next to some people so you can see how big they get. I think thats a yearling ram.

Here's a yearling ewe.

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?
How's the Weebs doing?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I finished up Weebles' meds on Thursday and he's gone downhill fast since then. He still can't stand at all and yesterday it looked like he had a seizure. As hard as it is to give up on him we're going to have him put down on Monday. It's just not fair to him to drag it out any longer. I think there is just something seriously wrong with his brain from when he was born and no amount of work is going to fix it for him.

This weekend he's parked with his mom in the lushest area on the farm, enjoying the sunshine and the breeze and munching on clover.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

I finished up Weebles' meds on Thursday and he's gone downhill fast since then. He still can't stand at all and yesterday it looked like he had a seizure. As hard as it is to give up on him we're going to have him put down on Monday. It's just not fair to him to drag it out any longer. I think there is just something seriously wrong with his brain from when he was born and no amount of work is going to fix it for him.

This weekend he's parked with his mom in the lushest area on the farm, enjoying the sunshine and the breeze and munching on clover.

:(

Thanks for entertaining us for a few weeks, Weebles. We're gonna miss you. :sympathy:

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

You were too wobbly for this world, Weebles :smith:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Oh poor baby. Sorry he didn't work out. :(

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
So sorry :sympathy:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Sad to see you go Weebles. :(

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I'm sorry, Jellyfish. I hope the rest of your flock brings you lots of joy to help you through these tough times. :(

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.
You enjoy that clover, Little Man. :smith:

Wilhemina
Jun 21, 2011

How is Jewel doing through all this? :(

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'm sorry, Jellyfish. Stock farming is not for wimps.

Josie
Apr 26, 2007

With tales of brave Ulysses; how his naked ears were tortured; By the sirens sweetly singing.

I hope Weebles enjoys his weekend in the sun.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
You'll always wobble in my hearts Weebs.

You're doing the best thing for him IJ, thanks for looking out for the lil guy from start to finish

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
There's a quote from King of The Hill that accurately describes how I'm feeling about this; "I'm so depressed I can't even blink"

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Oh, no, poor little guy. :(

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Im sorry Jellyfish, you did your best :(

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop
I'm really sorry to hear about Weebles. It's been a pretty bad week for news. :(

Are there any more babies expected, or has the wave passed?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Aw. Sorry to hear about Weebles. You did right by him, and that's all anyone can ask.

Some more photos of Melody and River:

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
Good night, sweet Weebles, and may a choir of angels sing thee to thy rest. :saddowns:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Wilhemina posted:

How is Jewel doing through all this? :(

Jewel has been pretty stressed out about all of this. If I penned her up with Weebs she would stress about not being with her friends and if I sent her out with her friends she would stress about not being with her baby. It was a rough situation for all of us and as awful as it is things will be better now that things are definitive. She'll call for him today and break my heart but by tomorrow or the next day she will have moved on. He was about the right age to be weaned anyway and she has Clem to keep her company.

I'm treating the sadness with a double dose of baby goat snuggles and wish all of you could experience that happiness too. There's really nothing better than tiny goats using you like a jungle gym to lift the spirits.

Pucklynn posted:

I'm really sorry to hear about Weebles. It's been a pretty bad week for news. :(

Are there any more babies expected, or has the wave passed?

Electra is still holding out on me but waddling around like a land whale. I've said every day for the last two weeks that she looks like she could go at any time but I think it really has to be this week. Of course I have lost the date I took Heath out of their pen in the winter so I don't know for sure. I told her she needs to have a black doe now to complete the set but she never listens to me.

Now for a bit of happiness have some babies. We won't forget Weebles but there's not much time to sit around being a sadsack on a farm.

Sleepy baby goats.

Pan is such a big handsome guy.

"What are you doing there?"

"Hmmm suspicious"

Miss Taffeta heard me sneaking around.

Truffle being a big chunk like her daddy.

Considering eating a grass

Olive turns two months old today.

This guy has three people who want him to be their ram now. They're going to have to fight it out.

Taffy thinks it should always be bottle time. Who can resist a little pink goat?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Jewel has been pretty stressed out about all of this. If I penned her up with Weebs she would stress about not being with her friends and if I sent her out with her friends she would stress about not being with her baby. It was a rough situation for all of us and as awful as it is things will be better now that things are definitive. She'll call for him today and break my heart but by tomorrow or the next day she will have moved on. He was about the right age to be weaned anyway and she has Clem to keep her company.

Poor Jewel :(

It must be hard for both of you and her, but you both did your best for him!

quote:

This guy has three people who want him to be their ram now. They're going to have to fight it out.

I was so confused by his tail/back leg optical illusion in this picture!

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Sorry to hear about Weebles. :(

How many radio stations can this cutie pick up? Seriously those ears are huge and I feel the need to grab them and go "woo".

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

You should charge more for the handy "boop here" spots covering his nose and ears

Mar 25, 2004

You definitely took the best care of him possible and have him the best chance possible. Thanks for sharing through it, and I really hope he enjoyed the day in the lush vegetation and snacking on clover with mom. I just read the last part of this thread at a bar ordering a beer and was unsuccessfully trying to hold back a few tears. I'm a big baby when it comes to animals though.

On a different note, I just groomed Lady, my lethal white Aussie, and it's amazing how similar her floof looks to that of those show sheep. Painfully adorable!

God speed, weebs.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Poor Weebs. At least all the other babies are doing good. :3:

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

Is anything that stands still long enough fair game for baby goat launching?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Tasty_Crayon posted:

Is anything that stands still long enough fair game for baby goat launching?

Yes, they went ricocheting off some sheep this morning much to the sheeps' surprise. If you sit for any amount of time you will suddenly be covered in small goats, pawing at your back and sucking on your hair. Its super cute until you need to do something that does not involve goat help.

I forgot to mention that if you are local and sad that you did not get any goat cuddles during shearing day the farm will be open for visitors this Saturday 11-4. This isn't a big thing like shearing day but you can bring some lunch and get attacked by tiny hoofed creatures if you want.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I think we're finally done with goats for a while. I went out after getting the new buns settled in and heard bizarre goat noises. Well, different bizarre goat noises than usual. I arrived just in time to see babby 1 be born (in the grossest area of the barn of course) and scooted them somewhere cleaner before babby 2 showed up. Both are girls! They both look like fading reds like Taffy but one is much lighter than the other.

I went out to congratulate Heath on 4 doelings out of 3 does and found him in the fence like an idiot.

And now for new buns.

The big giant REW buck. He's a year old and really mellow.

He's got a sweet hairdo.

I swear there is a bun under there somewhere.

6 month old chestnut doe.

3 month old blue doe. She's super sweet and curious.

3 month old REW doe. She's a little more shy.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Some men celebrate fatherhood with a cigar, or alcohol, Heath celebrates by getting stuck in a fence also those new babies are adorable(even if they're still covered in viscera), also forgot you had rabbits, they're so fluffy:3:(you sure they aren't part tribble?)

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

I think I'm more charmed by spotty mama goat nose then by tiny goo covered babies in this photo, sorry babies

Since Heath did pretty good (after he figured out what ladies are for) does he get a fresh crack at the ladies next time it's babby goat season?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

drrockso20 posted:

Some men celebrate fatherhood with a cigar, or alcohol, Heath celebrates by getting stuck in a fence also those new babies are adorable(even if they're still covered in viscera), also forgot you had rabbits, they're so fluffy:3:(you sure they aren't part tribble?)

You didn't forget, we just got them today! They're going to be my mom's project (keeping the dog from eating them is my project).

Women's Rights? posted:

I think I'm more charmed by spotty mama goat nose then by tiny goo covered babies in this photo, sorry babies

Since Heath did pretty good (after he figured out what ladies are for) does he get a fresh crack at the ladies next time it's babby goat season?

He's going to have a few ladies of his own, yes. He'll be bred to Pearl and Opal because they all should carry white markings and I want to see if I can get some spotty babies. Maybe Electra again too? Rex will probably have Ginger and Angela and Dido if she isn't bred already for September kids. I still need to do all my breeding plans as breeding season is only 5 months away!

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

How is Dumbaby 2: Dumb Harder?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Tasty_Crayon posted:

How is Dumbaby 2: Dumb Harder?

Taffy is growing like a weed and is constantly underfoot. If you bend over or sit down to do anything you suddenly have a small pink goat on you. The other day she sprung off this wooden spool in the pasture directly into my nose and it made an uncomfortable "scrunk" noise and I cursed quite a lot. She also helped me finish tidying the shearing job on my big rams by leaping up, standing on my shoulder and trying to suck on my face the whole time.

She is amazingly cute though and I sit out and let both of the baby goats use me as a jungle gym for a while every day and its pretty fantastic. I'll try to get some pictures of all of them tomorrow.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Do they grow out of the jump all over everyone phase or do you have to actively prevent them from doing that once they get older?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

They usually grow out of it, although it's hard to say if it's inevitable or if it's the action of the older goats getting sick of their poo poo and going after them for it. As far as we go, there's usually a period where we have to teach the kids that jumping on people is rude, but how active we have to be depends on the kid.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Aww, those bunnies are nice. :3:

Also I love Heath's dumb face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I'll have some more (better) pictures up later but this pretty much sums up trying to photograph little miss Taffeta. She's such a spaz.

• Locked thread