Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Valve is doing the same thing Logitech are wrt button labelling:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Amazing how XInput compatible controllers all end up looking like an Xbox 360 controller.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I learned the SNES and Sony button setups, I don't have enough room in my brain for a third.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Besides the Steam and Logitech controllers, that same A-B-X-Y layout was used on the Dreamcast (10.6 million sold), Xbox (24 million sold), Xbox 360 (80 million sold), Xbox One...

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I learned the SNES and Sony button setups, I don't have enough room in my brain for a third.

1) Multiplats generally use the same button positions regardless of how they're enumerated.

2) 360-style buttons are pretty much the PC standard (since the 360 controller was the first good Windows gaming controller in over a decade and everyone wanted to be like it) so if you want to play controller games on PC then your options are limited.

3) Modern neuroscience says technically you do have room in your brain for a third. Which is good, because there's actual decent Xinput abstraction layers for the PS3 and PS4 controllers now (but you'll have to be able to either think of or figure out empirically how the PlayStation face buttons map to the Xbox prompts.)

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

And you also have the color coding to help you. I'm not even sure I'd remember the letters on the X360 button layout instinctively but I do remember the colors, and fortunately, most controller-friendly PC games do use them in their button prompts these days.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000
By the way, does anyone know, do those trackpads on the steam controller click?

Legend of Voltron
Jul 8, 2003

From days of long ago...

PrBacterio posted:

I know one of the early prototypes had clicky trackpads. I don't know if the current iteration still has them though.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

The_Franz posted:

Isn't the Nvidia Shield basically an Android device that can stream games? It seems like Valve would just need an Android app to make it work.

EDIT: Yeah, an x64 powered Shield type-device that can actually play 'real' games isn't really feasible.

I know I'm replying to an old post but the nVidia Shield can stream games from Steam now, acting as a Steam OS streaming client. So not only can you stream games supported by nVidia's app, you can stream anything Steam allows to be streamed. Steam will also allow you to steam non-Steam games added to your Library to the Shield as well. Doing that is how Shield users are able to stream high-end emulator apps to the Shield such as PPSSPP with demanding games and Dolphin running Gamecube and Wii games.

The streaming works great, with great picture quality, sound and no lag on your local network. nVidia's GRID game streaming service and onLive also work pretty well, though I'm way outside the defined service area for grid, so there is some noticeable input lag with that service.

I'd be surprised if nVidia isn't working on a cheap Steam game streaming set top box. I'm setting up my Shield to become this by buying the Nyko Shield Dock and a BT controller. I just drop the shield on the dock, which is connected to my main TV and put it in console mode (built-in screen off, video output at 1080p).

e: Here's a hands-on video of streaming games from Steam to the Shield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KnBYa5gj-k

e2: Edit for holy crap make sense.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 5, 2014

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

PrBacterio posted:

They do. Only normal feeling thing about the pads.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Just for my understanding, how do I stream from Steam (PC) to a SteamOS one? Do I need to get invited to some beta, or enable the beta client?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Furism posted:

Just for my understanding, how do I stream from Steam (PC) to a SteamOS one? Do I need to get invited to some beta, or enable the beta client?
Enable the beta client on both sides iirc: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3629-RIAV-1617&l=english

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

I did that and it took me a day or two before I got the update. Might have been a bug though

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Steam Streaming is out of beta and there's no movement in this thread!

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-setup-steam-in-home-streaming-and-fix-its-quirks-1579996803

I'm going to be looking for a good low-cost HTPC soon, either finding a discounted/refurbed x51 or build a NUC. Seems an x51 might be overkill if I'm primarily wanting to do streaming.

Is there anyone in this thread who has been using the streaming in beta and have any advice on the best low-cost HTPC that will still take full advantage of this feature? We're just wrapping up a home remodel and I've got the whole house wired for Cat6 so I'm ready to go as far as speed.

Advice?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

MMD3 posted:

Is there anyone in this thread who has been using the streaming in beta and have any advice on the best low-cost HTPC that will still take full advantage of this feature? We're just wrapping up a home remodel and I've got the whole house wired for Cat6 so I'm ready to go as far as speed.

Advice?

I'm using a 3 years old Asus S1-AT5NM10E (Dual Core 1.8 Ghz Atom, 4 GB of RAM, onboard nVidia graphic card) and SteamOS runs like poo poo. The audio card is not properly detected (you have to manually change files in command line; not a problem if you're used to advanced Linux operations, more problematic if you want plug and play), and the overall UI is just laggy. Strangely enough if I run Steam Big Picture mode on Ubuntu on the same hardware the experience is smoother.

I don't think they're bothering to tweak the OS too much for older hardware yet, which is fine (you have to start somewhere, and modern architecture is a good point to start) but I'm personally disappointed at the very low performance on older hardware. I'm not even talking game performance, just OS performance.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Steam Machines Update

(The update is that you're not getting a Steam Machine in 2014)

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Rastor posted:

Steam Machines Update

Valve time enters the hardware realm. Wasn't unexpected

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Rastor posted:

Steam Machines Update

welp, hopefully this means that it'll give the hardware vendors time to bring the costs down a bit and offer more budget friendly steam machines.

$1000+ for essentially a living room console system when I already have a desktop PC with a $300 video card in it is a hard pill to swallow. I can't imagine other customers for a steam machine would be all that dissimilar... it'd be one thing if it was the only gaming system I purchased and I wanted to do all of my steam gaming from my couch but really I'll still be doing most of my gaming WASD style at a desk.

I just want a box that will let me play all of the great indie games I pick up on humble bundles w/ a controller from my couch and beyond that just give it good enough hardware to do a solid job at Steam Streaming so I can leverage the processing power in the tower that sits under my desk.

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 28, 2014

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

For lack of a better place to put this, can anyone describe how well the In-house streaming is working for them? I'm waiting on the parts to build myself a new gaming desktop, and I'd be interested in knowing how well I'd be able to use my old alienware laptop to stream games - it's running a GTX 480m for graphics, I don't know if the streaming is going to be bound by much else.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Spiritus Nox posted:

For lack of a better place to put this, can anyone describe how well the In-house streaming is working for them? I'm waiting on the parts to build myself a new gaming desktop, and I'd be interested in knowing how well I'd be able to use my old alienware laptop to stream games - it's running a GTX 480m for graphics, I don't know if the streaming is going to be bound by much else.

I think your network set up will be the biggest issue

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Spiritus Nox posted:

Use an Ethernet cable and don't use Wifi. Wifi is packet-lossy and has got poo poo actual bandwidth.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Furism posted:

Use an Ethernet cable and don't use Wifi. Wifi is packet-lossy and has got poo poo actual bandwidth.

Hmm. Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of in house streaming? Unless you've got a really long Ethernet cable?

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Spiritus Nox posted:

Hmm. Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of in house streaming? Unless you've got a really long Ethernet cable?

Invest in a really good router then

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Spiritus Nox posted:

Installing CAT5 cable in the walls and putting a switch in a closet somewhere is a fantastic investment but more expensive of course. Not to mention that you have to own the home.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I've seen AT&T just drill holes in the walls and run CAT-5 glued to the grouting in-between bricks along the outside of the house. Installing CAT-5 doesn't represent a fire hazard, get a drill and go hawg wild :clint:

The house I rent has a pier and beam foundation, there are two wifi routers (front and back of the house) bridged by a gig-e link over Cat6 that runs under the house, plus four gig-e connections over Cat 5e to the office, bedrooms and living room. I have about $120 invested but it works really well.

In college we ran Cat 5 through the ventilation ducts of our lovely off-campus apartment, we just kept it away from the HVAC unit (don't try this unless you've measured the air temp while running the heater for 120+ minutes) and found that the duct temps never got above the spec for the sheathing.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Spiritus Nox posted:

The purpose of in house streaming, for me at least, is that you get to play high quality games from a high quality PC on a sub-par one. Like play on your laptop from your desktop or something like that.

Note that Wifi is just inherently not well suited for streaming (of any kind). You don't notice it when you browse Internet because the web is not "real time" (if your Wifi looses a packet with payload, it'll be retransmitted - the image you're loading will take 0.1 second longer to load, you won't notice). However Streaming is a real time thing - you need the packet NOW, if it has to be retransmitted it's too late (the frame of the video you're trying to display is already gone) - and because of the low fidelity (comparatively to Ethernet cables) Wifi is not really good for that kind of things.

What I'm trying to say is that this is not really a Steam limitation, it's a Physical Layer (radio vs wired) limitation that network people have been aware of for more than a decade. A good router could help, but if you're a crowded area where various Wifi signals use the same channels and overlap, you just won't be able to reach the required bandwidth required.

Reality
Sep 26, 2010
I've been using an Airport Express with my tower cabled into it streaming to my Macbook Air and it's worked great so far. I've only been playing EYE, which is not exactly modern, but I haven't noticed any input lag.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Furism posted:

The purpose of in house streaming, for me at least, is that you get to play high quality games from a high quality PC on a sub-par one. Like play on your laptop from your desktop or something like that.

Note that Wifi is just inherently not well suited for streaming (of any kind). You don't notice it when you browse Internet because the web is not "real time" (if your Wifi looses a packet with payload, it'll be retransmitted - the image you're loading will take 0.1 second longer to load, you won't notice). However Streaming is a real time thing - you need the packet NOW, if it has to be retransmitted it's too late (the frame of the video you're trying to display is already gone) - and because of the low fidelity (comparatively to Ethernet cables) Wifi is not really good for that kind of things.

What I'm trying to say is that this is not really a Steam limitation, it's a Physical Layer (radio vs wired) limitation that network people have been aware of for more than a decade. A good router could help, but if you're a crowded area where various Wifi signals use the same channels and overlap, you just won't be able to reach the required bandwidth required.

Yeah, for me the compelling reason for streaming is I get to play games off of my desktop PC with a $300 video card upstairs on a much less expensive HTPC that will sit downstairs in my tv room. I'll likely play controller supported games on my TV and WASD games in my office.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Has anyone tried streaming via power line ethernet? Not as fast as running Cat5 through your walls but better than WiFi and pretty easy and cheap to setup.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Goetta posted:

Has anyone tried streaming via power line ethernet? Not as fast as running Cat5 through your walls but better than WiFi and pretty easy and cheap to setup.

That's only from the top of my head but PLC doesn't have much of a bandwidth - around 40 Mbps on the same circuit, and more like 20 Mbps if you go through the fuse box. YMMV depending on the quality of the wiring, too. Definitively better than Wifi though, if you have a rather modern installation, but still much more susceptible to white noise because electric wire is not shielded (unlike Ethernet cable).

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Goetta posted:

I have not done this myself but only because after researching the possibility I learned that doing it this way is often unreliable. It is not uncommon to experience even worse issues than people with a sub par Wifi setup experience. In the end, what I did was buy the best home router that I could find off Newegg and Wifi streaming has been glorious ever since. I would still prefer running CAT5 or CAT6 cables though. It is on my list of things to do before the end of this year.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Xavier434 posted:

I have not done this myself but only because after researching the possibility I learned that doing it this way is often unreliable. It is not uncommon to experience even worse issues than people with a sub par Wifi setup experience. In the end, what I did was buy the best home router that I could find off Newegg and Wifi streaming has been glorious ever since. I would still prefer running CAT5 or CAT6 cables though. It is on my list of things to do before the end of this year.

I tried a powerline network once and it was horrible. I ended up selling it to someone else for about half what I paid for it. You'd be better off with good wifi, maybe with an AC1900 or AC1200 router + adapter. Alternatively, if you have phone lines in that vicinity and you don't use actual phone service you can rewire your phone outlets as network jacks. At a minimum you can disconnect service from your house (or the punchdown block in your apartment) and then rewire two of the ports as network jacks and use it as a single point to point connection and put a hub/switch on either side. If your punchdown block is inside (like most apartments) you can actually put a switch by the punchdown block and rewire all the phone outlets to network jacks and have a fully functioning network. You'll need RJ45 jacks, an RJ45 crimper and RJ45 wall-plates at a minimum. I was able to do this over CAT3 (phone cable) in an apartment once with a 100Mbps network with no issues.

You might be able to pull of 1Gbps over that setup as well, but it depends on how bad the wiring is, how much electrical interference is nearby, etc... Due to most of those lines in apartments being short, the low rating of the cable generally doesn't matter. You only need two pairs (four wires) for 100Mbps, you need 4 pairs for gigabit. If you want/need more info, PM me.

If you own the house and the phone wiring isn't already CAT5 or better (it's probably not), you can fairly easily replace the wiring on the existing phone jacks by taking apart the wall jack, taping a new CAT6 cable to the end of the old (cutting off extra wires) then pull it through your house to the punchdown block. You'll need a punchdown tool to wire it back to the block (if you're wanting to just do a single point to point ethernet run) or you can just wire up a jack on the end by the punchdown block and hook it up to a switch there if it's possible in that location.

Ok... Done sperging stuff that probably no-one wanted to read.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Don't try to do any of this. 10Mbps is pretty reasonable on phone wire, 100 is unlikely, forget about a gig. This guy is talking crazy and anecdotally. Powerline technology can be anywhere from good to bad, it depends on your situation.

edit: i misread a bit, he's talking about ganging phone wires. still... ugh, just pull new wire if you're going to do all that.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My friend made me an "ethernet cable" in high school (late 90s, this was high technology at the time). After about a year it started having horrendous packet drop, finally replaced it with a store bought model. Years later I was examining it and it was cheap phone cable. Friends don't let friends run TCP-IP over CAT 3.

Turns out, all the shielding, twisted pair, etc that they do has a purpose. Phone cable is trash, and these days a 100' ethernet patch cable is $13 (with free shipping!)... just run your own cable and be done with it. If you're careful you can snake it under the carpet as well. Just be careful when routing it through main walkways, stepping on the cable repeatedly will cause it to fail after a year or two.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Jago posted:

Don't try to do any of this. 10Mbps is pretty reasonable on phone wire, 100 is unlikely, forget about a gig. This guy is talking crazy and anecdotally. Powerline technology can be anywhere from good to bad, it depends on your situation.

edit: i misread a bit, he's talking about ganging phone wires. still... ugh, just pull new wire if you're going to do all that.

Well like I mentioned, using the existing CAT3 wire was an option for APARTMENTS, where you can't just go pulling your own wires, or shouldn't anyway. It's a decent option in that situation. If you own your own house, you should just run new cable and/or rewire existing wall jacks as I mentioned.

100Mbps over CAT3 is perfectly doable for short distances (definitely any distance you'd have to worry about in an apartment), a quick google search will confirm that.

He can give powerline networking a shot, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Hadlock posted:

My friend made me an "ethernet cable" in high school (late 90s, this was high technology at the time). After about a year it started having horrendous packet drop, finally replaced it with a store bought model. Years later I was examining it and it was cheap phone cable. Friends don't let friends run TCP-IP over CAT 3.

Turns out, all the shielding, twisted pair, etc that they do has a purpose. Phone cable is trash, and these days a 100' ethernet patch cable is $13 (with free shipping!)... just run your own cable and be done with it. If you're careful you can snake it under the carpet as well. Just be careful when routing it through main walkways, stepping on the cable repeatedly will cause it to fail after a year or two.

There's a difference between "cheap phone cable" and CAT3, even assuming it was CAT3 he could've done a crappy job putting on the connectors. If the wires weren't twisted in pairs, it wasn't CAT3, it was just a standard phone to wall type cable he rewired. CAT3 is unshielded twisted pair. Twisting the pairs adds some electrical noise protection. Shielding the cable (such as with CAT5/6) adds more protection.

The options I mentioned assumed he didn't want to just run cable directly there, under carpet, etc... Doing that is generally a PITA to do well and is usually visible at least part of the run.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 3, 2014

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Goetta posted:

Yeah, it's not going to be good enough for this. I have the Powerlink 500Mb/s units. Steaming locally to the machine over Cat6 gigabit was predictably gravy, but shifting the box into the living room results in timeouts.

Ethernet over Power saturates pretty easily and the 500Mb is a theoretical upper limit on a clean powerline, so YMMV. It's still a shitload better than Wifi (I backbone APs with Ethernet over Power until I make friends with an electrician who will cat5 me).

Edits:

Furism posted:

That's only from the top of my head but PLC doesn't have much of a bandwidth - around 40 Mbps on the same circuit, and more like 20 Mbps if you go through the fuse box. YMMV depending on the quality of the wiring, too.

It 'feels' a lot better than the speeds that you're quoting there. if people are genuinely interested, I'll get off my arse and run some bandwidth tests. This is currently going through the house consumer unit/breaker box/local equivalent, which is usually where you lose most signal.

Xavier434 posted:

It is not uncommon to experience even worse issues than people with a sub par Wifi setup experience.

It's a fuckton better than my wifi, but then I have steel framing, which can reduce EM radically. Wood framing and brick houses will have different characteristics as well. I'm also working towards cat5 as well.

RandomBlue posted:

You might be able to pull of 1Gbps over that setup as well, but it depends on how bad the wiring is, how much electrical interference is nearby, etc...

Not a loving chance off UTP. They started that after the move away from thicknet and the interference drops wired performance, so you end up with 1/2 Mb/s - I learned this lesson back in 1996 when an electrican ran a cable _across_ a welder feed and we'd suffer 100% packet loss for short periods of time. Shielding matters as well as the length of the run.

Funny story: There's a lot of Cat6 sitting around in warehouses because Cat5 is adequate for gigabit under 90% of circumstances, and you can avoid the expense of repulling the wires by throwing in repeaters or $40 switches.

Hav fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 3, 2014

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Does anyone know what the general requirements are for the in-home streaming sever/client PCs? My main gaming PC is a Core i3-4330 3.5GHz, 8GB of RAM, with a Radeon 7850 2GB OC Edition and I've decided its to be my dedicated in-home streaming server as well. I currently stream games from it to two client PCs: a Thinkpad T430 with a dual-core i5 and 8GB RAM, and a MacBook Air with a dual-core i7 and 8GB of RAM.

My main PC is able to serve games up at 55-60FPS but only if I set the client PCs in-home streaming resolution to 720p and bandwidth to automatic. If I bump up the resolution setting to 1080p/desktop resolution, I generally hover around 30FPS. What would my main gaming PC need to upgrade in order to reliably stream games to clients at 1080p with constant 60FPS... a better CPU or GPU? And on the client side, could I build a living room Steam Machine around like the most current Intel Atom (bay trail?) and have it be able to stream games just as good as my ThinkPad and MacBook Air? It'd be a dedicated streaming only client; no installs on it whatsoever.

Already asked in the SH/SC thread twice and haven't gotten any responses. Hoping someone here can give advice.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

teagone posted:

Does anyone know what the general requirements are for the in-home streaming sever/client PCs? My main gaming PC is a Core i3-4330 3.5GHz, 8GB of RAM, with a Radeon 7850 2GB OC Edition and I've decided its to be my dedicated in-home streaming server as well. I currently stream games from it to two client PCs: a Thinkpad T430 with a dual-core i5 and 8GB RAM, and a MacBook Air with a dual-core i7 and 8GB of RAM.

My main PC is able to serve games up at 55-60FPS but only if I set the client PCs in-home streaming resolution to 720p and bandwidth to automatic. If I bump up the resolution setting to 1080p/desktop resolution, I generally hover around 30FPS. What would my main gaming PC need to upgrade in order to reliably stream games to clients at 1080p with constant 60FPS... a better CPU or GPU? And on the client side, could I build a living room Steam Machine around like the most current Intel Atom (bay trail?) and have it be able to stream games just as good as my ThinkPad and MacBook Air? It'd be a dedicated streaming only client; no installs on it whatsoever.

Already asked in the SH/SC thread twice and haven't gotten any responses. Hoping someone here can give advice.

Once again it's more to do with network setup then anything else. Are you doing this over Wi-Fi? What router are you using?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

DarthBlingBling posted:

Once again it's more to do with network setup then anything else. Are you doing this over Wi-Fi? What router are you using?

ThinkPad is connected via gigabit ethernet. MacBook Air is on 300 Mbit/s 5GHz Wifi. Router is a TP-Link N600 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704144) running Gargoyle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

teagone posted:

ThinkPad is connected via gigabit ethernet. MacBook Air is on 300 Mbit/s 5GHz Wifi. Router is a TP-Link N600 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704144) running Gargoyle.

I guarantee your "300 Mbps" Wifi doesn't actually deliver 300 Mbps. These values are given in perfect scenarios (which mean perfect conditions etc).

I also have performance issue even on Wired network, with a dual core Atom @ 1.8 Ghz and 4 GB of RAM client for the streaming (the streamer is a monster with Xeon processors, 8 GB of RAM, a very good Nvidia card on Windows 8.1). I'm running the client on Ubuntu 14 and I think that's the reason for the performance issues. I will test on Windows 7 soon because I suspect the drivers are not as good on Linux as on Windows (even the restricted Nvidia drivers). I had to drop the resolution from 1080p to 720p just to play The Walking Dead because the client PC was lagging too much and I was getting audio de-sync.

Also, strangely enough, the streaming would sometimes crash if the client profile was set to 'fast' instead of 'balanced'.

• Locked thread