Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004
The man so nice they named him twice.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

We'll see what their prices are like. When POS was $20/oz my LCS was selling ASE's for $25. While eBay was selling them for about $27 because of all the fees.

And now that the price has dropped even further, you can buy them from dealers for $23, and $21-23 dollars from other collectors. When silver was 28 bucks, they had an almost 10 dollar premium. Now that the price has dropped the premium is closer to 3 dollars. It just goes to show that it's not hard to flood the market with these things especially with the high mintages of the last few years. I'm all for the lower prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004

Ron Don Volante posted:

The Red/Blue books aren't great value guides, no, but they do have a ton of other useful info. I use my Red Book a lot as a quick reference for relative scarcity and mintages. For values, I rely on eBay sold listings most heavily. The Greysheet can also be useful if you're a serious collector.

Since I buy mostly foreign coins, the greysheet doesn't come up for me a ton, but it seems like every single dealer bases his entire business around the numbers in the greysheet. I've seen dealers pull out the greysheet when they price coins for me. And then dealers are always trying to talk up their wares to me saying that their coins are 'below greysheet'. I just tried to google greysheet and it appears as though the website of the company that produces the sheet is 10 years old and that it's mainly a mailed subscription service. How accurate is this greysheet really? What pricing information are they getting that we don't have with access to auction results, etc., etc.?

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye
the greysheet for coins and greensheet for paper are meant for wholesale prices between dealers and buying from the public, some people follow them to the T, some don't use them at all and many people in the middle use it sparingly along with other guides and online results to ballpark prices, the sheets don't get into the minutia of varieties, certain dealers set the prices in there, so called "market makers" sort of like stock prices

Al Harrington fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 28, 2014

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Man my OCD is getting to me looking at my stack. I have a roll of '63 Franklin's and a roll of '64 Kennedy's. I currently have 17 ASE's. '04-'13 and seven (7) '14's. Since I have a dense group of stackers on Instagram, I just posted looking for a trade.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I got a few halves I thought at first were silver but I think they're just yellowed. drat.

http://m.imgur.com/ANKPCzI

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Mescal posted:

I got a few halves I thought at first were silver but I think they're just yellowed. drat.

http://m.imgur.com/ANKPCzI

Early Kennedy halves were still 40% silver, same as the Franklins. I think they axed the silver content in 1970 so your 71's aren't silver but the others are.

vvv ooh, you're right.

ohnobugs fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 30, 2014

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

AuntBuck posted:

Early Kennedy halves were still 40% silver, same as the Franklins. I think they axed the silver content in 1970 so your 71's aren't silver but the others are.

all Franklins and the 1964 JFK are 90% silver, 65-70 (the 70 is only in mint sets) are 40%

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Cool, so silver-looking ones are part silver indeed. How much is that metal worth?

Edit: just dug another late 60s half out of my coin jar!

Mescal fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 31, 2014

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Check out https://www.coinflation.com to see how much the silver content in your coins is worth.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Check out https://www.coinflation.com to see how much the silver content in your coins is worth.

Less than 20 for the five--not much but not bad for "paying" face.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
Is this thread for US coins only? I inherited a bunch of old coins from my partner's grandfather. Most are US, but some appear to be Canadian, and a few from European countries. Wondering if it's worth my time to make a list/take pictures of everything to post in here.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

people have listed world coins in here previously and some of us were able to help the poster out, take some pics and put 'em up here

Gambit32
Feb 16, 2003

M'sweet, I never gamble... I win. At everything.
If you have time to waste and some money to cycle through, go to the bank and ask for rolls of halves or like $100 in $2 bills. I always come out with silver content, or some red-seal bills. The rest get returned, and I go to another to request it again

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Gambit32 posted:

If you have time to waste and some money to cycle through, go to the bank and ask for rolls of halves or like $100 in $2 bills. I always come out with silver content, or some red-seal bills. The rest get returned, and I go to another to request it again

That's funny, I used to do exactly this when I was 14 or so in the mid 80s. The bank was a couple blocks from the coin shop which was a really convenient way to make some quick cash for the arcade.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I encourage everyone to post pictures in here, even if you just inherited a bunch. I'm always looking to buy too. :D

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things
Realistically speaking, what is the chance of getting any value out of old non-silver quarters? This site for example claims they have value:
http://cointrackers.com/coins/501/1968-washington-quarter/
But it's hard for me to believe they have value outside of people who incorrectly think they have silver.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Won a raffle last night on Instagram for a free Morgan. Gotta love free silver.

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004

twodot posted:

Realistically speaking, what is the chance of getting any value out of old non-silver quarters? This site for example claims they have value:
http://cointrackers.com/coins/501/1968-washington-quarter/
But it's hard for me to believe they have value outside of people who incorrectly think they have silver.

Realistically, you could get a small amount of money for mint state examples. 1968 mint sets, with uncirculated examples of the 5 circulating coins at the time are worth less than 10 bucks with the half dollar accounting for a large portion of the value. So the value is really maxed out at around, I don't know, probably 2 bucks for a typical uncirculated quarter. Of course, if you have an absolutely perfect 1968 quarter, then there could be some more value. Anything less than mint condition is best thrown in the change jar and spent.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
If I want a poor condition 1968 quarter I'll just hit up the change machine at the car wash.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

It looks like price of Morgans on eBay has gone up a couple bucks over the past year. I bought a couple last year for around $25 and now all the undamaged avg circ sell for like $27. Still cheaper to hit up my LCS.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Jimmy James posted:

Realistically, you could get a small amount of money for mint state examples. 1968 mint sets, with uncirculated examples of the 5 circulating coins at the time are worth less than 10 bucks with the half dollar accounting for a large portion of the value. So the value is really maxed out at around, I don't know, probably 2 bucks for a typical uncirculated quarter. Of course, if you have an absolutely perfect 1968 quarter, then there could be some more value. Anything less than mint condition is best thrown in the change jar and spent.

There are also a few errors/varieties that are worth a bit more, like the Wisconsin extra leaf. Those aren't worth much outside of mint state either, though.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Got my free Morgan in the mail yesterday. A little worn, but free is free.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
I went through a few small boxes of coins, but they were not the collection I thought they were. All the really old (18- and 1700s) coins I recall seeing were not here. In an case, most of this collection were wheat pennies all bagged and marked. There were a few quarters and one or two half dollars. I made this little album of the ones I found most interesting.

http://imgur.com/a/PXPd2

The oldest penny in this collection - 1919
1943 Steel penny
Penny blank - no year marked on the bag
1881 Indian head penny, pretty poor condition, you can barely see the design on it
Oldest quarter in this collection - 1941
1943 Steel penny - another one

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
If you enjoy tokens, you'll love my 4 part series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rTZTQuSuOs

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

E/N time in the coin thread, of all places...

So in one of my last posts here, I mentioned that my mom was dying of the fuckin' cancer. Well, mom died May 15th. I went up to NY a couple weeks ago to help my sister clean out mom's house. Going through her bookcase I found out, to my surprise, that she'd been collecting the state quarters in a binder. No idea mom had an interest in that, go mom. :cheers:

She was only missing the 2008 Oklahoma. I've been checking every single quarter that comes across my hands since, but no joy.

Figure other numisgoons are like me and compulsively check the dates on their coins before handing them to the guy at 7-11 or throwing them in their piggy bank. If one of y'all has or finds an Oklahoma in good shape, I will gladly pay you shipping + $1. It doesn't have to be super pretty, I just want mom's binder complete.

Y'all have been super helpful in this thread with my questions, so I thought I'd check here first. I'd rather pay someone itt $1 for a quarter than Random Person On eBay. :)

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 13, 2014

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

JacquelineDempsey posted:

She was only missing the 2008 Oklahoma. I've been checking every single quarter that comes across my hands since, but no joy.

Ta-da!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

:3: Thanks to the goons who offered me their quarters via PMs! I'll be sure to post the completed binder once that Oklahoma space is filled in. I was very close to mom, so it's been hard going thru all her stuff, divvying it up with my sister, etc. And knowing mom, it probably bugged her that she was just one quarter shy before getting too sick to do anything. This has been so kind of y'all, it's like the goon equivalent of bringing over a casserole to the mourning family. Sincere thanks. (And as goon the has posted upthread, I will eventually give you something nice in return!)

On a cheerier note, check out this swank 1924 .5 silver Peruvian Sol my dad gave me on that last trip to NY:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Here's my current stack.

1 roll of ASE's
1 roll of '63 Franklin halves
1 roll of '64 Kennedy halves
3 Morgan dollars, 1 Peace dollar
4 Zombucks

Trying to decide what to stack next. Either a roll of Morgans since I already have a few, a tube of 1oz JM bars since they are badass and serial numbered or start a tube of 1/10oz AGE's since I wanna transition to stacking gold eventually.

Gambit32
Feb 16, 2003

M'sweet, I never gamble... I win. At everything.
Folks may want to tap base on this for some free materials:

http://www.monacorarecoins.com/freebook/

I think its only good for today, 6/17

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

We were going through my grandpa's stuff and I found something interesting - an 1859 Bank of North Canada bank token penny. It's still pretty shiny and only lightly worn, it's probably been in a jar for a hundred years. Sorry, I don't have a picture of it at the moment but I'll try to get one if it's worth anything. I think it's only worth a few dollars but I want to make sure.

We also found a 1911 George V penny but it's pretty gross.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jun 18, 2014

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Got this as change from a soda machine today. Not that rare, but still cool. That's what, 25% nickel 75% copper?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Yup. They minted 203,283,000 in Philly, 53,432,000 in Denver and 43,445,000 in San Francisco.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I found an old (small-portrait, I mean) ten with a cool serial number. It's I think A11195951A, and it was printed in 95. It feels like a bill that's been sitting in a drawer for 15 years, like the old-style bills usually are.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
Whenever I swing by my local grocery store I like to eyeball the Coinstar to see if anything was left in the return slot. Have come across a few silver dimes and such.
Yesterday, noticed that there was a small pile of change there so I checked it out. Nice little mound of Canadian small change with a few bigger coins. Included was 2 Loonies, a Canadian $2 dollar coin, and a 1985 Philipino Pisa.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Yup. They minted 203,283,000 in Philly, 53,432,000 in Denver and 43,445,000 in San Francisco.

Where the hell do they all go? Does the government end up destroying most of it when it gets too worn?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Not quite "old" but I have a big bag of completely unsorted foreign coins from maybe a couple dozen different places across Europe, Asia, and South America. I have no idea what to do with it except maybe sell it on ebay. Is there such a thing as a magic international coinstar?

Is there a standard bulk rate for random money? (This is mostly pocket change from international travellers, so it's not particularly biased towards smaller denominations)

ejpj2000
Sep 10, 2011
These guys will take some foreign coins, but you'd have to ship them to England.
http://www.leftovercurrency.com/exchangeable-currencies.php

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004

ShadowHawk posted:

Not quite "old" but I have a big bag of completely unsorted foreign coins from maybe a couple dozen different places across Europe, Asia, and South America. I have no idea what to do with it except maybe sell it on ebay. Is there such a thing as a magic international coinstar?

Is there a standard bulk rate for random money? (This is mostly pocket change from international travellers, so it's not particularly biased towards smaller denominations)

People will often pay between 3-12 dollars per lb for miscellaneous circulated 20th century world coins. The value is low enough that most of your profits will be eaten up by shipping on eBay. You can see past auctions to see how the stuff is selling.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

ShadowHawk posted:

Define "big"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

the posted:

Define "big"
4 pounds or so

• Locked thread