Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
The post-episode dork deluge this week has been awesome. "Hey wait, The Mountain winning is unrealistic!!!!" So is an 8-foot rape monster, dumbfucks. Just roll with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Aristobulus posted:

One thing I am curious about - after Oberyn's death pissed so many people off, if Tyrion does die in the next 2 episodes - how many people will actually stop watching the show for good?

I seriously doubt Tyrion will die, for two reasons: 1) Tyrion is way more relevant to the story as a narrator than he is as anything else. He's the most effective audience surrogate, and provides the best commentary on what's happening. Killing him off silences that voice. 2) Tyrion's death doesn't actually affect anything external to him. He has no power, his family members are the ones killing him, and he has no remaining allies or friends.

Most deaths (especially those of heroic characters) make the story more complex or interesting, not less. Ned was great, but his death instigated Robb's campaign and pushed a civil war. Robb's death ended that war, and created an absolute power vacuum in the North and the Riverlands (one filled by Houses whose reputations are now dogshit.) Now, Oberyn's death is hopefully going to shake Dorne out of its isolationist funk and get them more involved in the story in King's Landing.

Meanwhile, Tyrion could die tomorrow, nothing would change, and he'd be mourned only by Jaime, Pod, and maybe Bronn for 5 minutes. The *only* thing Tyrion's death would accomplish is to excise the most interesting character from the world. It's not that he has "plot armor," because there's nothing he needs to accomplish. It'd just weaken the story for no benefit.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
I'm a couple of pages late, but RE: The Seven being poo poo gods compared to the Lord of Light, isn't Bran's magic mind control thing related to them? I seem to remember something to do with those old trees with faces being linked to both Bran's powers and The Seven, though I could be wrong.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Those are the old gods of the forest, remember them praying to trees in Winterfell and beyond the Wall? It's another religion.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Infinite Monkeys posted:

I'm a couple of pages late, but RE: The Seven being poo poo gods compared to the Lord of Light, isn't Bran's magic mind control thing related to them? I seem to remember something to do with those old trees with faces being linked to both Bran's powers and The Seven, though I could be wrong.

The face-trees are representative of the Old Gods of the north, which are a separate religion and older than The Seven.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Infinite Monkeys posted:

The old gods are the gods of nature and are worshipped in the North. Below it, the Weirwood trees that were carved by early worshippers were all burned by the Andals, who came to Westeros with their worship of the Seven.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Infinite Monkeys posted:

I thought the Northmen had a different religion than the Seven? Or, more, some people in the North still prefer the Old Gods to the Seven.

Weirwood trees with faces, and three-eyed ravens and such that we see in Bran's visions are, I assumed, pagan images.

Edit: Beaten handily.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I cannot reconcile Gwendoline Christine with heavy makeup on.

I had the pleasure of seeing her really old art photos in the past, one with her nude and a giant bunny mask on.

I like to pretend that's Brienne riding around slaying people with a rabbit head on her shoulders, but to each their own.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
Oh ok, well then I guess the Old Gods and the Lord of Light both do stuff, and it's the Seven who are lovely and useless. Still, it seems like the Lord of Light isn't the only god who actually does anything.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I thought the best part of the episode was when Tywin had the band play off Pycelle, like they do at the Oscars when someone's speech goes on too long.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
You have to give it to the Lord of Light, even with the shadow fetus demons, at least he actually exists.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Oh ok, well then I guess the Old Gods and the Lord of Light both do stuff, and it's the Seven who are lovely and useless. Still, it seems like the Lord of Light isn't the only god who actually does anything.

I'm pretty sure the Seven have literally never done anything, ever, and are just completely invented out of whole cloth.

Not sure about the Drowned God but who would make up a religion that hopeless?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Kasonic posted:

You have to give it to the Lord of Light, even with the shadow fetus demons, at least he actually exists.

I dunno, would you rather a god not exist and leave everyone alone, or exist and be a huge rear end in a top hat?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

precision posted:

I'm pretty sure the Seven have literally never done anything, ever, and are just completely invented out of whole cloth.

Not sure about the Drowned God but who would make up a religion that hopeless?

The dickless ironborn

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Umm, the Drowned God accepts you into his watery bosom, and sends you back into the world harder and more badass.

BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Where's the 9th episode preview?

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

BurnBlackJay posted:

Where's the 9th episode preview?

Is it your new title or....

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Speleothing posted:

Umm, the Drowned God accepts you into his watery bosom, and sends you back into the world harder and more badass.

So they claim. Have we even once seen the Ironborn to be as badass as they say? The Boltons are the ones who seem markedly more badass than their peers.

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!
Maybe the Ironborn just suck on land. We have yet to see what they can do in the water.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Well the whole point of raiding and reaving is that you don't fight fair. Though I don't know how you literally base an entire society on plunder, what the hell did they do when the kingdom was at peace? gently caress with Essos nonstop? Is there a legacy of Ironborn corporate takeovers?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Well the whole point of raiding and reaving is that you don't fight fair. Though I don't know how you literally base an entire society on plunder, what the hell did they do when the kingdom was at peace? gently caress with Essos nonstop? Is there a legacy of Ironborn corporate takeovers?

Sounds like they were Stark's bitch.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

BubbleGoose posted:

Maybe the Ironborn just suck on land. We have yet to see what they can do in the water.

According to the Histories and Lore sections on the DVD and Blurays it's get hosed up by The Mannis.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Well, they do call them 'The Old Ways.' I'd imagine Aegon and the Targaryens put a stop to that poo poo real fast.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

They seem like Wildlings except worse at fighting, and try to dress up to play nobility except they look about as wealthy as the peasants in King's Landing.

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.
Here's another reaction video. A whole bar of people watching Game of Thrones. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vob2_MSpXQc

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Those of you saying that Ironborn look like they play at royalty have it pretty accurately. They have the biggest chips on their shoulders out of any group in the seven kingdoms.

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt

Aristobulus posted:

I still don't understand people LIKING Ramsey or anything, or being like "it was so moving watching him be praised by his father", though.

I "like" Ramsay in that I like it when he's on screen because his actor's terrific. I also really like the scene where he's legitimized as a Bolton in front of Winterfell because there's this sort of perverse feeling that you should be watching a scene with Jon Snow finally getting accepted by Ned or something, which you would be if this show was some generic mainstream "good guys win" fantasy series. But no I guess I don't really "like" Ramsay, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Theon cut his dong off.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Old Conan Stevens interview. drat he would have been a good mountain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgId6rpXyyg

He mentions in the interview, though, that he did NOT want to come to america and just get typecast as some brute unless it was a seriously major role.

I wonder if he just didn't want to come back to the The Mountain - the biggest brute of all?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

oswald ownenstein posted:

He mentions in the interview, though, that he did NOT want to come to america and just get typecast as some brute unless it was a seriously major role.

I wonder if he just didn't want to come back to the The Mountain - the biggest brute of all?

I got some news for him: If you're 6'10 and weigh 300+ lbs of pure muscle, you're probably not gonna get offered Hamlet.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Paradox Personified posted:

Is it your new title or....

He's posting that 'innocent question' multiple times in this thread to try and spoil the show for people. I reported him, but that's why I recommended people turn avatars off like the OP says at the top :)

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

Cybershell posted:

I "like" Ramsay in that I like it when he's on screen because his actor's terrific. I also really like the scene where he's legitimized as a Bolton in front of Winterfell because there's this sort of perverse feeling that you should be watching a scene with Jon Snow finally getting accepted by Ned or something, which you would be if this show was some generic mainstream "good guys win" fantasy series.

Look Barry. Everything the light touches is our kingdom.

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!

Tequila25 posted:

Here's another reaction video. A whole bar of people watching Game of Thrones. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vob2_MSpXQc

Dammit, why can't I find a bar that plays GoT every Sunday?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Kasonic posted:

Speleothing posted:

Given. Baelon Greyjoy still lives despite the Lord of Light's Leeches of Doom, I maintain Drowned God supremacy over all other gods and their feeble magics. :colbert:

I made the mistake of googling (never google) a cool-sounding character name someone mentioned who's yet to appear only to immediately be confronted with The Mother of All Headfucks. So, um, poo poo's gonna get bugfuck crazy next year then? Lovely.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Tequila25 posted:

Dear people, if someone is filming you while watching GoT, you're about to experience a rough ride any second now...

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Sentinel Red posted:

Given. Baelon Greyjoy still lives despite the Lord of Light's Leeches of Doom, I maintain Drowned God supremacy over all other gods and their feeble magics. :colbert:

I made the mistake of googling (never google) a cool-sounding character name someone mentioned who's yet to appear only to immediately be confronted with The Mother of All Headfucks. So, um, poo poo's gonna get bugfuck crazy next year then? Lovely.

Yeah, never google. If anyone has general questions, I think I do a pretty decent job of providing info without being spoilery, anyone is welcome to PM me.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

oswald ownenstein posted:

See, this is why I like the new Mountain. The new mountain has a much stockier build which makes him more intimidating.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Sentinel Red posted:

What was the order of the leeches again? Robb, Balon, and Joffrey, I guess. Yeah, the Drowned God primarily repels leech magic. Also, never dies?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
A MUCH better ending to the viper/mountain fight:

http://gfycat.com/PowerlessHoarseAmericancrow

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

Mister Fister posted:

See, this is why I like the new Mountain. The new mountain has a much stockier build which makes him more intimidating.

His face is far more menacing too. Can imagine the shot of his expression as he crushed Oberyn's head?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mide
Jun 2, 2009
Right.. Where the hell do I find a bar that plays game of thrones every Sunday? Take my money.

• Locked thread