Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I like this UI update. Using the Gamepad's firmware to provide menu options while the console's still booting is pretty clever!

It's weird how they made it robust enough to handle a little mini-app like that, but didn't tap into it until now. Sort of like building NFC into the thing and then never using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You're gonna be inundated with NFC junk at E3, don't worry.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
i like the quick start.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Just checked a Gamepad Alert while the console was not only off, but completely unplugged from the wall.

It was just the "This is how Gamepad Alerts work!" thing that the console probably pushed to it immediately after the update installed, but it's still neat that the console doesn't even have to be in standby for you to read them.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
The Mario Party games haven't been any good for at least a decade. They should either do it right or just stop making the things.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

PantsBandit posted:

The Mario Party games haven't been any good for at least a decade. They should either do it right or just stop making the things.

Everything up to and including 7 is fine, if perhaps not setting the world on fire. Even 9 is very competent at what it's doing, but missing the core gameplay elements that made the previous games so fun.

I think many people just remember playing the N64 games back in the day and -- for some reason, perhaps because of less free time with friends -- then assume that the games got worse on the Gamecube, when that really was not the case. In fact, 5, of all games, has the most dicking-over-near-the-end potential of all of them thanks to its ridiculous Last Five Turn events.

e: Holy poo poo, Mario Party 5 is 11 years old. Wow.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 3, 2014

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Everything up to and including 7 is fine, if perhaps not setting the world on fire. Even 9 is very competent at what it's doing, but missing the core gameplay elements that made the previous games so fun.

I think many people just remember playing the N64 games back in the day and -- for some reason, perhaps because of less free time with friends -- then assume that the games got worse on the Gamecube, when that really was not the case.

The Gamecube ones were ok I guess but had no excuse for being worse than 2, which I still maintain had the most fun minigames and boards. Every Mario Party on the Wii was trash though imo and had way too many minigames where you had to jack off with the wiimote.

Also, Mario Party 5 came out in 2003 so my decade comment stands

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

4 of us played Mario Party 4 on the GameCube, and one night decided to just get blazed and play it on the longest possible mode. I've never seen 4 people pray for death so much that night, it just felt like it would never end.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

irlZaphod posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure MKWii was basically a good seller through most of the Wii's life (did someone here post saying that they bought a MKWii bundle last year?)

That was me! It was the most bizarre find ever and just unbelievably cheap (they even threw in a free game with it, because I looked like I needed convincing?), but it helped me to finally convince my husband we should get a wii (he's a big Playstation fan).

...and, in turn, it eventually helped me to convince him we should get a Wii U Mario Kart bundle since he had such a blast with Mario Kart Wii.

As a side note, I ended up keeping my wii (I was asking if I should trade it in when I mentioned picking up the bundle late in the game), because GameStop ended up only offering me $30 for it, and that was with the Wii Remote and nunchuck. I figured it would cost more than $30 to replace the Wii Remote/Nunchuck, so it was worth it to keep the system.

I'm late to the "which game should I download?" conversation, but Pikmin 3 every time. I really enjoy the casual game play, cute characters, and beautiful landscapes in Pikmin games, but I'm unwilling to pay $60 for it. It's a game you won't play regularly enough to justify paying full price for it, but it is a game worth owning.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Niemat posted:

I'm late to the "which game should I download?" conversation, but Pikmin 3 every time. I really enjoy the casual game play, cute characters, and beautiful landscapes in Pikmin games, but I'm unwilling to pay $60 for it. It's a game you won't play regularly enough to justify paying full price for it, but it is a game worth owning.

Everyone I recommend it too expresses concern over the time limit, like it's lingering PTSD from the first game. Thhe time limit and juice collection never once made me feel pressured in Pikmin 3. The whole game is a blissful experience.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

citizenlowell posted:

The whole game is a blissful experience.

I absolutely cannot stop playing mission mode.

Like, I'll put down Pikmin 3 for some period of time, then pick it up, then spend two solid hours on mission mode.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 3, 2014

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Niemat posted:

As a side note, I ended up keeping my wii (I was asking if I should trade it in when I mentioned picking up the bundle late in the game), because GameStop ended up only offering me $30 for it, and that was with the Wii Remote and nunchuck. I figured it would cost more than $30 to replace the Wii Remote/Nunchuck, so it was worth it to keep the system.
I was kinda late on that whole conversation due to being away at the weekend, but I would have suggested maybe hanging on to it in case you wanted to do a system transfer. They maybe would have let you do it in Gamestop, but if you have any Virtual Console titles or anything on the old Wii, you can transfer them to the Wii U. They still need to be played in Wii mode, mind, but if they're available on the Wii U eShop too, you can get a discount on them if they've been transferred.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

citizenlowell posted:

Everyone I recommend it too expresses concern over the time limit, like it's lingering PTSD from the first game. Thhe time limit and juice collection never once made me feel pressured in Pikmin 3. The whole game is a blissful experience.
The time limit is so hilariously irrelevant this time around.

I was nervous it would be a little tight time limit wise like the original was, but there is 99 days total at the most available to you if you so need that much, and as long as you are the smallest part competent, you'll be comfortably enough in days ahead of game over for almost the entirety of the game.

It's like there is a time limit, but in the barest sense. In that you can't play forever, but you'll have to actively trying to run out of time to run out of time.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Is transferring my games from my Wii to the Wii U still extremely long and annoying?

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

BexGu posted:

Is transferring my games from my Wii to the Wii U still extremely long and annoying?

It's long but not annoying. You get to watch Pikmin load up your data in to a rocket and blast off in to Wii U land. It's pretty incredible.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Darke GBF posted:

W101 is definitely one to demo, or pick up on the cheap (it regularly goes on sale under $20). It's got some interesting ideas and is worth playing, but it definitely has some problems. Annoying camera is somewhat frequent, and the campy sentai writing (which I thought I'd like) turned out to be goofy in a not-so-great way. I only started it two days ago, but my impression so far is that its the weakest of Platinum's offerings to date.

Wonder Blue is so hit or miss. His stupid line about tasting his blade is funny, but he also uses the word "noobcakes" and talks like a surfer who browses internet memes in his spare time.

You should check the game's thread, there's advice on how to deal with the camera if you're having issues. Wonder Blue is a wonderful nerd.

The quick start is pretty amazing, gives me faith that the system can be updated to do cool stuff.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

citizenlowell posted:

My issue with time isn't so much the limit in the game--it's my personal limits. To clarify what I meant earlier: it's just not a game I'd sit down and play straight through. I have no idea why (because I've certainly logged enough hours on Animal Crossing to probably have a degree), but I just play Pikmin in spurts. Maybe I'm just not far enough in 3 to have gotten to a point where I feel like I can't stop playing, and maybe 3 will be a bit wider of a world than the first two in the series (and I highly recommend the earlier two if you haven't played them and like 3). If it sounds like I'm down on the title, I'm definitely not--I love Pikmin! Again, I just play it in spurts.

irlZaphod posted:

I was kinda late on that whole conversation due to being away at the weekend, but I would have suggested maybe hanging on to it in case you wanted to do a system transfer. They maybe would have let you do it in Gamestop, but if you have any Virtual Console titles or anything on the old Wii, you can transfer them to the Wii U. They still need to be played in Wii mode, mind, but if they're available on the Wii U eShop too, you can get a discount on them if they've been transferred.

No worries! I actually wiped my system before I brought it into GameStop, and the most tragic part was losing all my Mario Kart wii save information. I transferred what I could for save files to an SD beforehand, and I didn't have any virtual console titles to worry about (I download all of those on my 3DS for portability). That being said, that's good to know for the future should I decide to try and offload the wii again!

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
4 is the worst Mario Party because of the stupid mushroom gimmicks to get anywhere.

5 is the best Mario Party, especially if you play Wario Party, AKA turning off all the minigame explanations and ruling it so that you MUST throw a capsule on an empty space if you can, and if you can't you're not allowed to use it.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Arthe Xavier posted:

Silly question, but is the Wii U getting a Mario Party -game? Better yet, is there a good party-game ( excluding NintendoLand ) that could be played with a group of drunk friends?

http://fantendo.wikia.com/wiki/Mario_Party_10

"Mario Party 10 is an upcoming Mario Party game for the Wii U, and the sequel to Mario Party 9. As in previous installments, Mario Party 10 will feature new minigames, new boards, and new characters. "

I am waiting for this game so much I can't even describe it. We get drunk and play Mario Party 8 all the time. To answer your next question the GF hates console controllers with a passion but can handle a wiimote.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

LethalGeek posted:

"Mario Party 10 is an upcoming Mario Party game for the Wii U, and the sequel to Mario Party 9. As in previous installments, Mario Party 10 will feature new minigames, new boards, and new characters. "

I am waiting for this game so much I can't even describe it. We get drunk and play Mario Party 8 all the time. To answer your next question the GF hates console controllers with a passion but can handle a wiimote.

Hope it more like the older Mario Party and less like the last Wii game and recent 3DS game.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
That game's going to have no online, guaranteed.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Does Dr. Luigi have a decent amount of people playing online or is it already dead?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

LethalGeek posted:

I don't think this page is real. Wii Party U is basically Mario Party. I chose it for my free Club Nintendo game and it's surprisingly fun.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah that's a website where they basically write fanfiction of their dream Nintendo games

Tirux
Apr 28, 2010

The wolf is at your door.
Is it normal that Club Nintendo didn't ask me for Mario Kart 8 survey? I already did for my free game that I got, but MK8 hasn't appear yet.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Tirux posted:

Is it normal that Club Nintendo didn't ask me for Mario Kart 8 survey? I already did for my free game that I got, but MK8 hasn't appear yet.
Did you register a physical copy of Mario Kart 8? I think the post-play survey takes longer to show up in that case vs. digital games.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I was kind of wondering about registering my physical copy as well... Club Nintendo recognized my Wii U was part of the Mario Kart bundle, apparently, so I got my free game code, but I didn't see any Club Nintendo codes in the Mario Kart case, and they haven't given me a survey for it. I want those 70 coins, dammit!

Tirux
Apr 28, 2010

The wolf is at your door.
Yeah physical copy, registered on May 30.

I think the other physical games that I bought before did let me access the survey right away, I guess Club Nintendo servers are still dealing with heavy traffic?

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Niemat posted:

I was kind of wondering about registering my physical copy as well... Club Nintendo recognized my Wii U was part of the Mario Kart bundle, apparently, so I got my free game code, but I didn't see any Club Nintendo codes in the Mario Kart case, and they haven't given me a survey for it. I want those 70 coins, dammit!

I have 2000 coins and nothing to use them on. It makes me mad to even see them.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Was just going to ask if/when a new mario party will be out. Hopefully something is announced this year. They have any past partys' s on the eshop for download?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Kewpuh posted:

I have 2000 coins and nothing to use them on. It makes me mad to even see them.

I remember when I had that many coins. So many Game & Watch trinkets purchased. I'm spending them on VC games now but worry about missing out on another Game & Watch thing.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Was just going to ask if/when a new mario party will be out. Hopefully something is announced this year. They have any past partys' s on the eshop for download?

Just 2. But you have to play it through Wii Mode.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Everyone should read Fantendo at least once to see just how gloriously autistic it is.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Holy poo poo I'm playing some Wii Sports Club Tennis online right now since I figured a lot of people have new consoles and therefore 24 hours of free game time to blow.

I was right. I just played the funniest round of tennis ever against a new player, who was obviously just shaking the remote around. I demolished them every point except for one, where they somehow managed a fast serve, then a killer fast hit back that threw me off-balance, which they slammed to the complete other side of the court from my dudes. :stare:

I was laughing so loving hard I almost flubbed the next few points.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mr.Trifecta posted:

You can still pick up Fortune Street for relatively cheap. Granted it's a Mario and Dragonquest cross over, there's also Dokapon Kingdom. Both are worlds better than whatever Wii Mario Parties came out.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

BexGu posted:

Yeah it's long but once it starts, you can just leave it on overnight or while you're at work or whatever. You don't need to press any buttons or anything if you don't wanna watch the Pikmin movie so it's never actually been annoying

Mercury Crusader posted:

I remember when I had that many coins. So many Game & Watch trinkets purchased. I'm spending them on VC games now but worry about missing out on another Game & Watch thing.

Maybe the gold nunchuk will come back some day :shobon:

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I ordered a Wii U Pro controller from Amazon before they sold out and it should be here tomorrow. I was tired of using a Wii remote + classic controller as an alternative to the gamepad. I have a couple of questions. Does it work with the new GBA games that came out, specifically Mario RPG. Also, are there any games that you guys feel benefit from using the pro controller over the gamepad? How is mario Kart with it?

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Kaplan Taint Reaper posted:

You can still pick up Fortune Street for relatively cheap. Granted it's a Mario and Dragonquest cross over, there's also Dokapon Kingdom. Both are worlds better than whatever Wii Mario Parties came out.

Own dokapon and agree it is the king of screw over games on the wii. Fortune street have not touch. Is it on the store?

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Lemming posted:

That game's going to have no online, guaranteed.

A competition of who can spin an analog stick fastest over the internet doesn't sound that satisfying. Maybe if they used the gamepad camera so you could look at how miserable everyone else was it'd be a little more enjoyable, but most of the time you would probably be looking at a close up of someone's booty hole or a ten year old shouting loving CHEATER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

gay skull posted:

Maybe the gold nunchuk will come back some day :shobon:

Yeah, I could use a second one maybe. I think that was my last physical Club Nintendo order thing.

whaley posted:

A competition of who can spin an analog stick fastest over the internet doesn't sound that satisfying. Maybe if they used the gamepad camera so you could look at how miserable everyone else was it'd be a little more enjoyable, but most of the time you would probably be looking at a close up of someone's booty hole or a ten year old shouting loving CHEATER

I honestly can't imagine Mario Party working online that well without players just dropping whenever they fall a bit behind. It doesn't help that the average Mario Party session lasts much longer than a game of Mario Kart or any given FPS multiplayer match.

• Locked thread