Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
:lol: Smart Approach to Marijuana #1: "Keep on keepin' on!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Kevin Sabet's presence in an article evokes an instant laugh from me at this point. The guy was politely reamed in a Congressional hearing while peddling exactly this line and it doesn't seem to have slowed him down any.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Pryor on Fire posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/01/us/after-5-months-of-sales-colorado-sees-the-downside-of-a-legal-high.html

quote:

In March, the state logged what appeared to be its first death directly tied to legal recreational marijuana when a 19-year-old African exchange student, Levy Thamba Pongi, plunged to his death in Denver. He and three other students had driven from their college in Wyoming to sample Colorado’s newly legal wares. Mr. Pongi ate marijuana-infused cookies, began acting wildly and leapt from a hotel balcony, officials said; the medical examiner’s office said marijuana intoxication had made a “significant” contribution to the accident.

I'd bet that the :airquote:medical examiner:airquote: is some dumb anti weed crusader. Even if this were true it's still worth it to legalize weed, the harm created by weed prohibition is way worse than some dumb kids life. :rolleyes:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Don't be callous. A kid just died. Probably very, very far away from his family and home country.

There should be a parallel drive for public awareness and information about marijuana though, but I think the federal stance yet stifles that lane of discourse in public ground. People have noted wild inconsistencies with edibles though, that's a well known fact and really should be publicized more, if at least to get some regulation efforts rolling on that area. The people that make edibles aren't nearly as stringent in their methods as they should be.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Don't be callous. A kid just died. Probably very, very far away from his family and home country.

Pffft they have weed and tall buildings in Africa, he was just a dumbass. The story here is that anti-drug crusaders are trotting out reefer madness bullshit as always.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I'm not at all surprised that dumb poo poo is happening in the wake of legalization, seeing as it opens the door to all sorts of situations where some newbie gets way too high and freaks out in some unpredictable and potentially dangerous way. With that in mind, I'm all for putting out PSAs, pamphlets in dispensiaries and whatnot to provide some helpful information to tourists, newcomers, and otherwise inexperienced consumers regarding safe and responsible enjoyment of the reefer.

I would also be for a unified labeling standard for indicating the potency of marijuana products, as well as some indication on what constitutes a single dose and how many a given package contains, similar to the Units of Alcohol thing they have in the UK.

Sometimes it's easy to forget that weed isn't a universally benign drug, and that there are risks involved, we're talking about a mind-altering substance after all, and there are plenty of people out there who have trouble with its effects and sometimes can't cope with an overwhelming experience.

snorch fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jun 2, 2014

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

snorch posted:

With that in mind, I'm all for putting out PSAs, pamphlets in dispensiaries and whatnot to provide some helpful information to tourists, newcomers, and otherwise inexperienced consumers regarding safe and responsible enjoyment of the reefer.

Edibles especially. No need to go nuts, but with the way THC can be concentrated in those, it seems more than reasonable to require companies to provide THC content and source strain (and this should be enforced on some level to force consistency from edible producers).

A note or insert would be a good idea too. Something along the lines of explaining that this product can have intense/or uncomfortable psychological effects for some users, but there is no physical danger.

e: This is putting the cart before the horse in most states though. Any sort of criminal enforcement for marijuana causes far more harm than the occasional freakout or DUI, and yet more criminal enforcement is exactly what most of the critics in the article would move towards.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jun 2, 2014

Beaters
Jun 28, 2004

SOWING SEEDS
OF MISERY SINCE 1937
FRYING LIKE A FRITO
IN THE SKILLET
OF HADES
SINCE 1975

There is a prime example of crappy reporting. The kid who fell off the balcony and the murderer have been discussed to death elsewhere, but the worst case interpretations of the events are seized upon by those with a prohibitionist agenda.

Those with any sense get that the Mormon murderer was probably trying to fabricate a defense in advance of the crime. There are also questions about the toxicology reports and so forth.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

snorch posted:

I'm not at all surprised that dumb poo poo is happening in the wake of legalization, seeing as it opens the door to all sorts of situations where some newbie gets way too high and freaks out in some unpredictable and potentially dangerous way. With that in mind, I'm all for putting out PSAs, pamphlets in dispensiaries and whatnot to provide some helpful information to tourists, newcomers, and otherwise inexperienced consumers regarding safe and responsible enjoyment of the reefer.

I would also be for a unified labeling standard for indicating the potency of marijuana products, as well as some indication on what constitutes a single dose and how many a given package contains, similar to the Units of Alcohol thing they have in the UK.

Sometimes it's easy to forget that weed isn't a universally benign drug, and that there are risks involved, we're talking about a mind-altering substance after all, and there are plenty of people out there who have trouble with its effects and sometimes can't cope with an overwhelming experience.

Look at all this 1930s-level bullshit. Read some history and stop repeating it before you hold forth about what laws need to be passed.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Millions of people smoke marijuana and have been for quite some time. Where are the weed horror stories to match the alcohol, crack, meth, acid, shroom, heroin, and cocaine stories? There should be thousands if not tens of thousands of these stories every year, going back decades. Where are they? What percentage of users is "plenty", "a lot", "many", or "some"? The anti-marijuana crowd has basically not even tried to make much of a case beyond using scary language and a handful of incidents.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

ToastyPotato posted:

Millions of people smoke marijuana and have been for quite some time. Where are the weed horror stories to match the alcohol, crack, meth, acid, shroom, heroin, and cocaine stories? There should be thousands if not tens of thousands of these stories every year, going back decades. Where are they? What percentage of users is "plenty", "a lot", "many", or "some"? The anti-marijuana crowd has basically not even tried to make much of a case beyond using scary language and a handful of incidents.

Fear is all they've ever really had the whole time, but the rational arguments are now winning. One argument I've been using for years now is that prohibition has been such a failure at preventing people from obtaining marijuana, we're already experiencing the worst effects of marijuana consumption in addition to all of the problems associated with black-markets. If there were violence or serious health problems associated with marijuana use there would be strong evidence given the millions of people who routinely use it. If there was strong evidence, wouldn't anti-legalization supporters be using that instead of a few isolated incidents? The ironic thing about the arguments made from fear is that most of them can be addressed and resolved by legalization itself. Afraid that potent strains and edibles will make people go insane? With a regulated legal market you can test the strength of products, accurately label products for strength and recommended use and limit the availability of stronger products.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
No guys. The new weed cookies are stronger than any illegal drug. They're the crack of weed, crack of weed, crack of weed.

Crack of weed :supaburn::horse:

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

You could smoke shatter with a literal crack pipe. On a related note: Why are there so many dumb motherfuckers making BHO in their basements, garages or apartments? We've had 3 BHO explosions in the area in the last 2 weeks. Save yourself a month-long stint at the burn unit and do that poo poo outdoors.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The funnier thing about marijuana is that people make medical claims about the potential for devastating psychological effects, but the fact that millions of people use it every year probably makes it one of the more well tested drugs out there. :v:

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

quote:

In February, for example, in the Denver suburb of Aurora, a 17-year-old planning to rob an out-of-state marijuana buyer instead accidentally shot and killed his girlfriend, law enforcement officials said.

“Why break into a house to steal a TV or a computer that you have to fence when you can steal mounds of cash or marijuana, which is like liquid?” said George Brauchler, the district attorney who oversees Aurora. “That’s the kind of stuff we’re starting to become more aware of.”

How is this in ANY possible way a side product of legal pot? Are you telling me that someone who was willing to rob another at gunpoint would have trouble with moving the product on the market under the old system? Or is the issue that the new rules have made targets more conspicuous, in which case what was to stop him from simply staking out a medical dispensary and picking out targets that way?

I usually hold the NY Times in pretty high esteem but this article is really bad.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

Icept posted:

How is this in ANY possible way a side product of legal pot? Are you telling me that someone who was willing to rob another at gunpoint would have trouble with moving the product on the market under the old system? Or is the issue that the new rules have made targets more conspicuous, in which case what was to stop him from simply staking out a medical dispensary and picking out targets that way?

I usually hold the NY Times in pretty high esteem but this article is really bad.

Because now it's inept white suburban kids doing this instead of inner city gang kids, I guess? Expect the fear to be kept on life support for years.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Spoondick posted:

You could smoke shatter with a literal crack pipe. On a related note: Why are there so many dumb motherfuckers making BHO in their basements, garages or apartments? We've had 3 BHO explosions in the area in the last 2 weeks. Save yourself a month-long stint at the burn unit and do that poo poo outdoors.

Because you can buy that stuff at the corner store, how dangerous can it be? If it's safe enough to fill lighters it must be safe enough to buy a case of cans and vent them into your oven hood.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.
http://time.com/2814282/marijuana-sleep-deprivation/

Study links teenage marijuana usage with long-term sleep deprivation.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

AYC posted:

http://time.com/2814282/marijuana-sleep-deprivation/

Study links teenage marijuana usage with long-term sleep deprivation.

...and then there's this:

quote:

The research team notes that the study was not designed to determined causality, so they cannot determine the exact relationship between marijuana use and sleep disturbance.

Predictable.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.
I don't think it's unreasonable for high schoolers to refrain from excessive marijuana use, for the same reason they should refrain from excessive alcohol use.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Doesn't caffeine also prevent sleep, in a much more provable way, and is also something young people abuse intentionally to achieve exactly that effect?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

AYC posted:

I don't think it's unreasonable for high schoolers to refrain from excessive marijuana use, for the same reason they should refrain from excessive alcohol use.

I don't think it's unreasonable to stop worrying about it. Completely. Because unlike alcohol nobody is dying from it.

Nobody cares how reasonable you are.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

SedanChair posted:

I don't think it's unreasonable to stop worrying about it. Completely. Because unlike alcohol nobody is dying from it.

Nobody cares how reasonable you are.

I too am mad enough about the drug war that I refuse to even acknowledge or consider potential negative side effects of drug legalization, whether they would warrant a policy shift or not.

Seriously, why would you post in d&d to shout at other people sharing information when you have no desire to talk about it or consider it? You contribute nothing and encourage others to do the same. AYC isn't some anti-drug crusader preaching the immorality of drug use, he is just sharing information relevant to the topic at hand.

EDIT: It seems all your posts here are similarly, uhh, cogent: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3511253&userid=37552

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 3, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Because it's a boneheaded approach. If you're wringing your hands about negative effects of cannabis and drawing comparisons to alcohol, the killer alcohol of all things, you haven't earned a place in the discourse.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Jeffrey posted:

I too am mad enough about the drug war that I refuse to even acknowledge or consider potential negative side effects of drug legalization, whether they would warrant a policy shift or not.

Seriously, why would you post in d&d to shout at other people sharing information when you have no desire to talk about it or consider it? You contribute nothing and encourage others to do the same. AYC isn't some anti-drug crusader preaching the immorality of drug use, he is just sharing information relevant to the topic at hand.

EDIT: It seems all your posts here are similarly, uhh, cogent: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3511253&userid=37552

I don't see what he posted as information but instead as propaganda masquerading as information. I don't doubt that both it and even the "Oh noes, ebil mary-hu-wanna makes the poor widdle children jump out of windows!" article were posted in good faith, but that's no reason to treat them as creditable.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
A few months ago there was a lot of talk about potential shortages of legal weed in Colorado, did that ever end up happening?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Jeffrey posted:

The position, in general, is illegitimate, unless anyone making the point that marijuana is dangerous is also in favor or banning alcohol and maybe even tobacco. It's silly to come into a discussion like this (where weed is being compared to other drugs to make a point) and be concerned about weed when you aren't expressing concern for other drugs that are provably more dangerous and also completely legal.

If the people who are concerned about weed dangers are being honest and are also concerned about alcohol and tobacco, then they sure aren't framing their opinions that way in most discussion I've seen. It's like posting articles trying to get people to not take airplanes because plane crashes happen, while completely ignoring that cars exist and are statistically a way more dangerous way to travel.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Jeffrey posted:

I too am mad enough about womens' lack of voting rights that I refuse to even acknowledge or consider potential negative side effects of allowing women to lawfully vote.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Xandu posted:

A few months ago there was a lot of talk about potential shortages of legal weed in Colorado, did that ever end up happening?

There was a shortage of cheap weed, because everything had to be either grown starting on January 1, or had to be weed previously grown for medical uses and then transferred over.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
http://www.aasmnet.org/articles.aspx?id=4779

quote:

Results show that any history of cannabis use was associated with an increased likelihood of reporting difficulty falling asleep, struggling to maintain sleep, experiencing non-restorative sleep, and feeling daytime sleepiness. The strongest association was found in adults who started marijuana use before age 15; they were about twice as likely to have severe problems falling asleep (odds ratio = 2.28), experiencing non-restorative sleep (OR = 2.25) and feeling overly sleepy during the day (OR = 1.99). Results were adjusted for potential confounders including age, sex, race/ethnicity and education.

“Current and past marijuana users are more likely to experience sleep problems,” said lead author Jilesh Chheda, research assistant at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, working with Dr. Michael Grandner, the senior author on the study. “The most surprising finding was that there was a strong relationship with age of first use, no matter how often people were currently using marijuana. People who started using early were more likely to have sleep problems as an adult.”
No dose-response curve, No longitudinal causation = Nobody should care about this lovely fishing expedition. Especially if their list of confounders didn't include anxiety and depression, which would be enormous, causative drivers of both age of first use and also sleep disturbances.

In other news, results show that any history of melatonin, benadryl, or ambien use is also correlated with an increased likelihood of problems falling asleep. loving statistics, how do they work :pseudo:

EDIT: http://www.journalsleep.org/Resources/Documents/2014AbstractSupplement.pdf

It's 0817 in this list. Note how study 0816, above it, is a much better study in every respect; it adjusts for anxiety, depression, and drinking, it uses actual sleep measurements and documented marijuana usage instead of fishing for spurious correlations in epidemiologic data, and isn't going to get a whiff of coverage in TIME or anywhere else because it found no difference in sleep health except for current, daily users, which doesn't fit the MARIJUANA NOT EVEN ONCE narrative. Amazing what you can do when you don't design with your head up your rear end.

Elotana fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 4, 2014

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Jeffrey posted:

Indeed. I am a full supporter of marijuana legalization and regulation. "Regulation" means that people need to be educated about the facts related to its usage, including potential harm in extreme amounts of use. I'm a regular pot smoker myself (hell, look at my custom title!); doesn't mean I daybake or that I think it's completely harmless.

Don't get me wrong: the potential harms of legalizing marijuana are far outweighed by the continued, objective harm of keeping it illegal. But if we are going to legalize it, as we rightly should, we need to do so in a smart and responsible manner, and that includes airing all of the facts in a public discussion. Which is what the forum is for.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

http://www.policymic.com/articles/90419/5-months-since-legalizing-marijuana-here-s-what-colorado-looks-like

Here, something for SedanChair's circlejerk. :zoid:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
All of this "regulation" horseshit claptrap is superfluous. They've spent the better part of 100 years searching desperately with the entire resources of the federal government for any evidence that cannabis is harmful. They've found exactly nothing. It should be as legal as Cheetos.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

SedanChair posted:

All of this "regulation" horseshit claptrap is superfluous. They've spent the better part of 100 years searching desperately with the entire resources of the federal government for any evidence that cannabis is harmful. They've found exactly nothing. It should be as legal as Cheetos.

You are literally the caricature that legalization opponents try to portray all of us as. You're not helping.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

AYC posted:

You are literally the caricature that legalization opponents try to portray all of us as. You're not helping.

The purpose of posts on the something awful forums is not to "help". He's right, get over it.

"You are literally the caricature that abolitionists try to portray us all as. You're not helping."

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

AYC posted:

No the caricature would be if I held the same position for heroin and amphetamines. Cannabis is not harmful and the only arguments for its regulation are political and tactical ones like you are making.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
Having written a few meeting abstracts, I would suggest not relying on them for anything important ever.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

SedanChair posted:

No the caricature would be if I held the same position for heroin and amphetamines. Cannabis is not harmful and the only arguments for its regulation are political and tactical ones like you are making.

I'm as big a hippie stoner as the next guy, but the idea that sales of cannabis should be completely unrelated is misguided at best. I understand the feeling behind it, but no, high schoolers probably shouldn't smoke pot. Aside from whatever harm it does our doesn't do at that age, it's completely harmful to the movement towards legalization because it's unconscionable to the general public and gives people solid arguments when they say that legalization will just get a bunch of kids on pot.

I am aware that the country is primarily composed of adults, and that it's impractical to set all the rules for "the children." The country is also in the real world.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I don't particularly care if it's legal for them to smoke it, but I don't think they should be able to straight up buy it. Let it be like alcohol in most states, where if underage kids want to use it they need parental permission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Inspector Hound posted:

gives people solid arguments when they say that legalization will just get a bunch of kids on pot.

It's not a solid argument though. Prohibition is not an effective way to curb usage. Beyond that, kids can already buy pot. Making it legal only makes it harder to buy pot, not easier.

• Locked thread