Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If it prevents them from going postal then it could be argued it was in the best interests of the company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ratbert90 posted:

poo poo pissing me off today: Unwieldy 50+gig git repositories. It should be half that size at LEAST.

I am cleaning it right now, but even with a SSD it's slow.

What kinda stuff are you storing in there?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Bob Morales posted:

What kinda stuff are you storing in there?

Probably binary files and other things that shouldn't be in git.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

evol262 posted:

Probably binary files and other things that shouldn't be in git.

Android Source code.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

BaseballPCHiker posted:

How has your experience with them overall compared to Dell? We are about to switch to Lenovo because our Dell rep is useless and the time it takes to get the correct equipment in seems to be taking longer and longer.
I haven't dealt directly with them enough (not really my area) to offer a comparison. We used Dell before switching to Lenovo though. Getting an engineer in to fix in-warranty kit is usually a 2-day turnaround though, so happy with that.

Oh, and the rep got back to us - they don't have an actual archive, they just advised us to reduce the numbers in the filenames to get older versions (of course, when I tried this, the resulting .exes gave a message saying the system setup was incorrect)

quote:

Also, I've taken a liking to quoting Dennis Nedry during our morning status meetings.

Someone at work was going around saying "ah ah ahh, you didn't say the magic word!" and got about 5 people saying it as well

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You know your day is going well when you spend an hour talking to sales and marketing about what you can do about getting around limitations of the speed of light and whether radio waves really travel at that exact speed.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

baquerd posted:

You know your day is going well when you spend an hour talking to sales and marketing about what you can do about getting around limitations of the speed of light and whether radio waves really travel at that exact speed.

Why did you take the call at all?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

baquerd posted:

I would love to have a call like that.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
There was some snake oil router being sold to investment banks a few years ago. Sales were great until someone pointed out that the speeds they were claiming meant they must have figured out a way to beat the speed of light. Sales dropped off after that, for some reason.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

BaseballPCHiker posted:

How has your experience with them overall compared to Dell? We are about to switch to Lenovo because our Dell rep is useless and the time it takes to get the correct equipment in seems to be taking longer and longer.

If you need fast lead time for equipment, don't buy Lenovo. They always seem to take a month from order to delivery.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

gently caress all of these support departments for various companies. How hard is it to call at 5 when we set up the meeting? Sitting here doing jack poo poo and its after hours too.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I work at a call center, and it pisses me off to no end when a customer calls and they can't have their account info handy. I need that poo poo to provide troubleshooting you dumbass! :argh:

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

On the flip side of this, I was on a web chat with Avaya for 45 loving minutes yesterday, asking if a discontinued part had been replaced or had a new number. That was the entire purpose of my attempting to chat with them, and might I add that even getting the chat window to respond requires you to be logged into their site. The rep spent the entire chat hemming and hawing only to wrap up that they couldn't identify us as a reseller/business partner even with our partner ID and therefore couldn't help with anything. I'm the one who got certified to earn us that reseller certification, now called the APSS-SME, so it's a little extra galling. I only resort to web chat as a last resort, it's the worst possible way [for the customer] to have to interact with a business. Maybe if it wasn't like pulling teeth trying to find part numbers I wouldn't need to resort to chatting.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

ratbert90 posted:

Android Source code.

I always laugh maniacally when I see BMPs popping up in my SVN.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
One of our lieutenants came by to see if the team lead was still here. Nope, but we asked what we could do, and he casually mentioned that one of our tenant units had apparently ripped out a bunch of old switches and managed to hard lock the Air Force Material Command network out. While Corona Top is going on. Despite a 100% pause on all non-critical, break-fix work across the entire AFNET. Looks like there are going to be a few people out of a job tomorrow morning (wonder if they'll have any openings I can apply to).

We also get to play host to a Major General tomorrow morning. I'm pretty sure he just wants to look at the pretty lights on our servers, because I know for a fact he won't be interested in hearing us bitch.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

eithedog posted:

I always laugh maniacally when I see BMPs popping up in my SVN.

I have 75 gigs of files in my SVN repo under a top level documents directory. It is a bunch of archived data files that we had to pay a huge sum to acquire from an older party. My laptop seemed to be the only developer accessible place of the files. When I questioned into if there was a NAS that I could drop these files onto I never got a response. So into source control they went!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

baquerd posted:

I always love discussing physics with whiners.

Oddhair posted:

On the flip side of this, I was on a web chat with Avaya for 45 loving minutes yesterday, asking if a discontinued part had been replaced or had a new number. That was the entire purpose of my attempting to chat with them, and might I add that even getting the chat window to respond requires you to be logged into their site. The rep spent the entire chat hemming and hawing only to wrap up that they couldn't identify us as a reseller/business partner even with our partner ID and therefore couldn't help with anything. I'm the one who got certified to earn us that reseller certification, now called the APSS-SME, so it's a little extra galling. I only resort to web chat as a last resort, it's the worst possible way [for the customer] to have to interact with a business. Maybe if it wasn't like pulling teeth trying to find part numbers I wouldn't need to resort to chatting.

I spent days trying to get an answer from Avaya to the following question: "Can SOME MODEL PHONE connect to a server via ethernet, or does it require a serial connection?"

I ended up getting the answer from somebody here since apparently nobody at that entire company could answer it.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Oddhair posted:

Why hello Avaya BP friend! This is my hell every day. My favorite was asking for a password reset for a command line password (as opposed to web interface), and having the person I was chatting with not knowing what I was talking about, to the point that they were recommending I try telnet instead of ssh to fix a password issue. FYI, most US low tier folks are gone and have been replaced overseas. Most of the tier 3 people are in Canada or overseas. Most of development is overseas.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've had a ticket open with Microsoft for a week about subscribed iCal feeds not displaying in OWA in Office 365. After 6 days of chasing I got a response along the lines of "we refresh the contents of subscribed calendars every four hours, which is much faster than lots of other providers!". Way to not read anything I wrote, shitheel.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

baquerd posted:

An oldie, but still relevant: http://www.ibiblio.org/harris/500milemail.html

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ynglaur posted:

There was some snake oil router being sold to investment banks a few years ago. Sales were great until someone pointed out that the speeds they were claiming meant they must have figured out a way to beat the speed of light. Sales dropped off after that, for some reason.

If they were smart they just rebranded them as audiophile grade routers and made even more money.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Jerry Cotton posted:

If they were smart they just rebranded them as audiophile grade routers and made even more money.

This gives me an idea for every independent software project I ever do in the future.

SuperShootMans: $10
SuperShootMans-A: $1399.99

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

This is one of my favorite stories ever.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sickening posted:

Why did you take the call at all?

I'm in R&D, so this is actually the exact sort of question I'm employed to answer. Sales and marketing wants to run a demo about the virtues of their new product, which allows LTE extension of specific local radio wave based transmissions, and they want to create a dynamic graphic demo of the comparative speeds of the various forms of communication. They did not like that radio waves transmit a couple of orders of magnitude faster than LTE transmissions, even when the LTE transmissions are enhanced with a local co-located server.

I managed to convince them that the real value proposition was range and not speed though the question "what do we need to do to make our LTE faster than [proprietary radio transmission technology]?" was asked a great many times.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Daylen Drazzi posted:

One of our lieutenants came by to see if the team lead was still here. Nope, but we asked what we could do, and he casually mentioned that one of our tenant units had apparently ripped out a bunch of old switches and managed to hard lock the Air Force Material Command network out. While Corona Top is going on. Despite a 100% pause on all non-critical, break-fix work across the entire AFNET. Looks like there are going to be a few people out of a job tomorrow morning (wonder if they'll have any openings I can apply to).

We also get to play host to a Major General tomorrow morning. I'm pretty sure he just wants to look at the pretty lights on our servers, because I know for a fact he won't be interested in hearing us bitch.

Good luck. Mr Meanieface used to work on Tinker so he's telling me war stories about stupid crap they had to fix. My favorite is still cutting an A/C in half because they couldn't get the whole unit into a secured area.

Pissing me off: I won't get to use the managerial time off that I earned for working SEVERAL weekends while on salary. Because my boss wanted me to get my coworkers' approval before taking any time off. So glad I am :yotj: next Wednesday.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

poo poo pissing me off today: Unwieldy 50+gig git repositories. It should be half that size at LEAST.
Incidentally, Visual Studio 2013 does not do any kind of garbage collection on repositories you use with it.

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud
Atlassian really knows how to make friends with the womenfolk.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Interns! Interns are the poo poo that piss me off!

We had a pair of interns that started in the company Monday, of which I was notified of their existence last Thursday (Build computer NAO for them). And of course not everything is polished and clean on their setup... but functional. In the last 2 days I've seen them in the IT office more than anyone else in the last few weeks and constantly nattering about stupid bullshit. Today it's nonstop/

I've been working with the vendor to get a particular engineering application installed onto their computers because -~*Reasons*~- and have been having issues with the licensing. They know I'm working with the vendor, they know that I'm in the process of getting things done. I take lunch because... lunch. They come up to me in the bathroom and ask what my progress is on that... like some kind of high level exec. Maybe I'm overreacting, but gently caress them! Welcome to the backburner!

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 4, 2014

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I think I'm stuck in the middle ground between a big IT department and a small IT department, or perhaps it's better to say I'm in a small IT department that is pretending to be a big IT department!

We recently had a pen test and managements attitude was basically 'close everything on this report no matter what'

Ok there is approx 60 items on here and I don't really know the implications of adding these obscure registry settings/GP settings etc but ok I'll do it without a test environment!

So far the only thing I've broke was when I reboot any server it takes 40 mins but that's just a page file issue... I'm sure there will be more surprises!

It doesn't help that the consultants we've hired are flagging up to management that this is a major concern... Yes it would be if I didn't know the cause of problem but I fixed it in less than 1 hour of discovery... And how often do you reboot a server anyway!?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

We had a pair of interns that started in the company Monday, of which I was notified of their existence last Thursday (Build computer NAO for them). And of course not everything is polished and clean on their setup... but functional. In the last 2 days I've seen them in the IT office more than anyone else in the last few weeks and constantly nattering about stupid bullshit. Today it's nonstop/

I've been working with the vendor to get a particular engineering application installed onto their computers because -~*Reasons*~- and have been having issues with the licensing. They know I'm working with the vendor, they know that I'm in the process of getting things done. I take lunch because... lunch. They come up to me in the bathroom and ask what my progress is on that... like some kind of high level exec. Maybe I'm overreacting, but gently caress them! Welcome to the backburner!

Internships are a learning experience. You should do the needful and let them know when you hand it to them 3 days from now that things get expedited with patience and not bothering people in the bathroom.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Internships are a learning experience. You should do the needful and let them know when you hand it to them 3 days from now that things get expedited with patience and not bothering people in the bathroom.

They've been moved to just above "Inventory the Floppy Disk cassettes" in my to do list.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
If somebody came to ask me an ETA while I was in the bathroom they would have to figure out how many days "Really loud and gross fart" is.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Inspector_666 posted:

If somebody came to ask me an ETA while I was in the bathroom they would have to figure out how many days "Really loud and gross fart" is.

I have had to end a conversation with 'look, I am not going to continue answering your questions as you can see by the locked cubicle door that I am trying to have a poo poo, I'll talk to you when we are both outside the bathroom'.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

angry armadillo posted:

So far the only thing I've broke was when I reboot any server it takes 40 mins but that's just a page file issue... I'm sure there will be more surprises!

From zeroing out the page file before restarting? That sounds pointless to me, since anyone that's copying data out of it offline has pretty serious access to the server anyway, but....

Could you put in a small SSD and move the pagefile to that?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I'm not even upset because I don't understand how this is happening and what I am failing to make clear, but I can not get someone to understand that two environments are completely separate. They're using a password for one environment, in another environment where they don't even have a user account, and they can't understand how this is not working. I have a renewed appreciation for those of you who deal with users as your primary function.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

AlternateAccount posted:

From zeroing out the page file before restarting? That sounds pointless to me, since anyone that's copying data out of it offline has pretty serious access to the server anyway, but....

Could you put in a small SSD and move the pagefile to that?

Exactly. The network is not connected to the internet, the servers are in a locked cabinet, the server room has a special key controlled by fingerprint access and there are guards outside the server room... But we can't accept the risk!

Also, the SSD is a good idea but that would mean a change in design documentation which no one wants to do because we appear to be changing our mind too much in front of the customer and they might interpret that as we don't know what we are doing

But just make it work with no risks!!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

angry armadillo posted:

there are guards outside the server room

Actual human guards? Plural? Armed?! Where do you work!?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

AlternateAccount posted:

Actual human guards? Plural? Armed?! Where do you work!?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Interns are supposed to do non-critical business functions. Let's play a game on how many of these federal laws are probably being broken.

forbes posted:

- The internship, even though it includes actual operation of the facilities of the employer, is similar to training which would be given in an educational environment.

- The internship experience is for the benefit of the intern.

- The intern does not displace regular employees, but works under close supervision of existing staff.

- The employer that provides the training derives no immediate advantage from the activities of the intern; and on occasion its operations may actually be impeded.

- The intern is not necessarily entitled to a job at the conclusion of the internship.

- The employer and the intern understand that the intern is not entitled to wages for the time spent in the internship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
The Simpsons is doing live-action remakes of their old episodes now? That's actually kind of impressive.