Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
One of our C-class people just brought one of my coworkers in to his office to show him Google Hangouts and how much better it was than our current solution

Our current, very expensive, motion-tracking, self-zooming, multiple protocol integrated system we are almost done rolling out

I want to be a fly on the wall when they tell our CIO to roll out Google Hangouts for the company

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
We're a nonprofit that did the Lync switch. It was pretty smooth sailing but you lose all the custom smileys and gifs such as awful emoticons from the lotus notes messenger :(

Vvv awful emoticons for goon coworkers was good times even if everything else about it was poo poo.

^^^ That will be us in 6 months to 2 years probably.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

notwithoutmyanus posted:

lotus notes messenger :(

:gonk:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

I thought sametime was pretty good back in the day.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

A ticket came in:

User: <User's name>

Summary: <User's email address>

Work Notes: <User's email address>

All the other fields were blank or at their default. Thanks helpdesk, we'll get right on that.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a ticket came in a month ago:

One of the help desk guys reinstalled a printer for a user and left it at that.

Today we find out that the printer was set it to Auto instead of B&W. So for a month they were printing colour. The accounting head is now threatening to sue us for the cost difference between B&W per page and Colour per page.

CDW
Aug 26, 2004
At our company that would be, roughly, a cent a page. How much was the user printing to have it be a lawsuit?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

notwithoutmyanus posted:

We're a nonprofit that did the Lync switch. It was pretty smooth sailing but you lose all the custom smileys and gifs such as awful emoticons from the lotus notes messenger :(

Vvv awful emoticons for goon coworkers was good times even if everything else about it was poo poo.

^^^ That will be us in 6 months to 2 years probably.

We are migrating from Lync to sametime.

Migrating, devolving, whatever. Our IT here is seriously the worst.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
An e-mail came in...to every engineer in the parent company (probably 4000+ people). The originator was trying to send it to somebody whose surname began with 'All...' and managed to tag "All <company name> Engineers" too.

He realised his mistake and sent out an explanation/apology later, but not before 40+ people around the globe hit reply all all asking why they'd recieved this mail and to be removed from 'the list'. Eventually corporate IT dissolved the whole contact group to turn the echo chamber off. :negative:

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

jammyozzy posted:

An e-mail came in...to every engineer in the parent company (probably 4000+ people). The originator was trying to send it to somebody whose surname began with 'All...' and managed to tag "All <company name> Engineers" too.

He realised his mistake and sent out an explanation/apology later, but not before 40+ people around the globe hit reply all all asking why they'd recieved this mail and to be removed from 'the list'. Eventually corporate IT dissolved the whole contact group to turn the echo chamber off. :negative:
It always amazes me when companies create "All..." groups and don't restrict the Send-To permissions to only other groups or people who would have the need to contact all of the initial group.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Helushune posted:

Oh, I have. Several times even. They told me to fire up a VM and learn about Lync Server because we're a non-profit that doesn't like to spend money. They seem to think that this a reasonable solution to me having a panic attack about this.

I sat through Global Knowledge's boot camps for the two Lync certifications, it was an inordinate amount of information to ingest in general, and not something to take up as a means to effectively deploy Lync. I'm not disparaging your abilities, at least not trying to, it's just not like other phone systems. I work with IP Office daily, as it's our internal system, and Lync 2010 we also have deployed with Enterprise voice. IP Office is much more pleasant to work with.

If you must try learning Lync 2013, Lync Server 2013 Unleashed is a really good book and quickly glosses over the differences, then dives way down into how 2013 works. I'm about to re-take the 70-336 and 70-337 certs, last time I took them I felt like I'd been attacked by an intellectual Cassowary.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It amazes me when people hit reply-all to be removed from a list not realizing they are making the problem worse.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Helushune posted:

Oh, I have. Several times even. They told me to fire up a VM and learn about Lync Server because we're a non-profit that doesn't like to spend money. They seem to think that this a reasonable solution to me having a panic attack about this.

The E3 plan with a lync server, email hosting, and desktop licenses of office is like $5 a month per user for non profits. It comes with all the add ons too like archiving. You can be hands off on the server when Microsoft is hosting it. It's hard to beat that considering what you get for the money.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The talk of PBX made me assume Lync Voice, which is E4 and requires a not insignificant amount of on-site infrastructure. It's definitely not a simple product to deploy.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

If you are deploying lync hybrid to do voice hire a consultant. That is a completely different job to learn. You are right about that Caged

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Caged posted:

The talk of PBX made me assume Lync Voice, which is E4 and requires a not insignificant amount of on-site infrastructure. It's definitely not a simple product to deploy.

Truth. A single fully-featured Lync 2010 Standard (with Enterprise Voice) environment is:

4 Lync Servers
1 SQL Server
1 SIP Router
1 Session Border Controller

Without Enterprise Voice:

3 Lync Servers
1 SQL Server

It's pretty drat massive.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Truth. A single fully-featured Lync 2010 Standard (with Enterprise Voice) environment is:

4 Lync Servers
1 SQL Server
1 SIP Router
1 Session Border Controller

Without Enterprise Voice:

3 Lync Servers
1 SQL Server

It's pretty drat massive.

3 Lync Servers
1 SQL Server
4 months of your time
8 bottles of mid-range scotch
3 prescriptions for progressively stronger anti-depressants

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

nitrogen posted:

Sametime isnt entirely horrific. Its easy enough to use, doesnt require much configuration by the user, and is simple to fix 99% of the time. Perfect for non-computer people in a call center, maybe not ideal for wherever you are.

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer
I just noticed today that the switches on our main subnet looked like this

and this probably explains how flakey the phones on the PoE switch were being.

Now it looks like this

and all the devices seem happy

I really wish we weren't stuck with a single network closet for a building with 150+ devices on it. Also that I wasn't stuck with a bunch of non-stacking 24-port switches. The only switch in our whole architecture that stacks properly is the PoE switch, and it only stacks with others of the sameish model, over HDMI (???)

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

lampey posted:

If you are deploying lync hybrid to do voice hire a consultant. That is a completely different job to learn. You are right about that Caged

We would be doing hybrid. I tinkered with the Lync Server 2013 installer and it wanted to touch a whole bunch of things in AD. Normally that wouldn't be a problem but our domain is something that's been "upgraded" since Windows 2000 Server and needs to be burned to the ground and rebuilt since so much of it is configured incorrectly. To give you an idea, the domain still has a primary domain controller hierarchy and we're purely a mix of 2008 R2 and Server 2012 R2 machines.

Oddhair posted:

I sat through Global Knowledge's boot camps for the two Lync certifications, it was an inordinate amount of information to ingest in general, and not something to take up as a means to effectively deploy Lync. I'm not disparaging your abilities, at least not trying to, it's just not like other phone systems. I work with IP Office daily, as it's our internal system, and Lync 2010 we also have deployed with Enterprise voice. IP Office is much more pleasant to work with.

If you must try learning Lync 2013, Lync Server 2013 Unleashed is a really good book and quickly glosses over the differences, then dives way down into how 2013 works. I'm about to re-take the 70-336 and 70-337 certs, last time I took them I felt like I'd been attacked by an intellectual Cassowary.

Thanks for the book recommendation, I'll take a look. Even if they do end up hiring someone else to do the initial set up, I will still be required to support it. Oh look, there's even a Kindle version! There's still a few more design and research meetings so hopefully I can persuade them to use something that I'm a little more comfortable with... Who am I kidding, I should just buy that book right now.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

tehloki posted:

it only stacks with others of the sameish model, over HDMI (???)

Aaargh, Netgear!

Really, 150 devices doesn't seem like enough to warrant more than one wiring closet - that's only ~20U of switches, patch panels, cable management etc. Sometimes the layout of a building will dictate where you have to put wiring closets due to distance limitations or the ability to only run one cable between an old and new part of it, but I don't think you'd gain much from spreading the switches out.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

nitrogen posted:

You're still using Outlook though, right?

TBH I'd rather an Outlook/Sametime environment, because Sametime is awesome. We're slowly moving from Communicator to Lync, even though Lync is a massicely buggy piece of poo poo (on our network at least).

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Sickening posted:

I thought sametime was pretty good back in the day.

Sametime is the only part of IBM's entire extended notes ecosystem thing that isn't garbage. Actually, I it works pretty well and I've never had an issue with it either when supporting it or when using it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Helushune posted:

We would be doing hybrid. I tinkered with the Lync Server 2013 installer and it wanted to touch a whole bunch of things in AD. Normally that wouldn't be a problem but our domain is something that's been "upgraded" since Windows 2000 Server and needs to be burned to the ground and rebuilt since so much of it is configured incorrectly. To give you an idea, the domain still has a primary domain controller hierarchy and we're purely a mix of 2008 R2 and Server 2012 R2 machines.

I tried to set up Lync Server 2013 the other day to upgrade us from Office Communicator 2007 R2 and got stuck on step one of the AD upgrade wizard because our domain functional level was still at Sever 2000. :( :( :(

Since then we've got it up to 2003 but all other attempts to upgrade to 2008 have failed and it looks like we may just have to recreate it all from scratch! Weeeeee!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
A job offer came in... an in-law wants me to apply at his work, they do converged infrastructure vm stuff. I'm currently lead systems engineer at a hospital (read: the only IT guy for 500 lovely users) and he thinks I would be good either as their sole on site IT guy instead, or as a "sales engineer" who basically sells IT decision-makers at big enterprises on the technical side of things. I've never done phone sales but I sell my boss on things all day so it's not much of a stretch and I could wing it.

Is all this a good idea? Maybe I could start working there and charge my current job double my wage for consulting when they need me.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Never hurts to apply and see what they have to say.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

If your in-law will be working with you in any way that might be a horrible idea.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

If your in-law will be working with you in any way that might be a horrible idea.

Oh I have nothing to do with the guy, no real history at all. I'll make a point not to embarrass him or anything but it's no biggie. Plus I'm IT and I think he's legal department.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I know of a database that is really bad. If two users try to submit an evaluation at the same time the database rejects one of them and accepts the other. The employee who made the database left the company and is now working as contractor for the company at like triple the pay. All the stories I hear about this database sound horrible.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

SlayVus posted:

I know of a database that is really bad. If two users try to submit an evaluation at the same time the database rejects one of them and accepts the other. The employee who made the database left the company and is now working as contractor for the company at like triple the pay. All the stories I hear about this database sound horrible.

Is it an access database?

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Zero VGS posted:

A job offer came in... an in-law wants me to apply at his work, they do converged infrastructure vm stuff. I'm currently lead systems engineer at a hospital (read: the only IT guy for 500 lovely users) and he thinks I would be good either as their sole on site IT guy instead, or as a "sales engineer" who basically sells IT decision-makers at big enterprises on the technical side of things. I've never done phone sales but I sell my boss on things all day so it's not much of a stretch and I could wing it.

Is all this a good idea? Maybe I could start working there and charge my current job double my wage for consulting when they need me.

How keen are you on selling and making commission? It's a very demanding job and can get stressful if you don't hit your targets.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
My god, Interns.

Two engineering interns started in my facility and I've seen them more in two days than I've seen anyone else in the month that I've been here. They've deleted files from production, they want special snowflake software, and are complaining non-stop about everything technically related. Only three little letters separate Printers from Interns

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

My god, Interns.

Two engineering interns started in my facility and I've seen them more in two days than I've seen anyone else in the month that I've been here. They've deleted files from production, they want special snowflake software, and are complaining non-stop about everything technically related. Only three little letters separate Printers from Interns

Interns are of course, more fuckable than printers.

As they're interns, do they even need to make changes that affect production?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Westie posted:

Interns are of course, more fuckable than printers.

As they're interns, do they even need to make changes that affect production?
In the US I don't even think their people, and can't sue over sexual harrasment. So, iterns really are fuckable.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

KoRMaK posted:

and can't sue over sexual harrasment.

really? :stare:

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
I just stumbled across a couple of pics from my desk side support days...

ZetsurinPower fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 4, 2014

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Don't be getting any ideas now!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ZetsurinPower posted:

I just stumbled across a couple of pics from my desk side support days...

I heard this really funny joke one time...

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
How can you create a hostile work environment for someone who isn't technically employed there?

When I was an intern they had me splice a cable into an active (low voltage, thankfully) wire just to see what would happen, because I needed the job for my degree and therefore couldn't quit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kurieg posted:

How can you create a hostile work environment for someone who isn't technically employed there?

When I was an intern they had me splice a cable into an active (low voltage, thankfully) wire just to see what would happen, because I needed the job for my degree and therefore couldn't quit.

Did they have you lick 9v batteries in your off time? Jesus you're lucky it was low voltage.

• Locked thread