Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

Has anyone other than the above poster ^ had long bouts of bleeding on Implanon?

I did. It started out slow like long 10-day periods, then became more frequent, and finally never stopped. It was only spotting so I could just use a panty liner, but it got really annoying. I got it taken out after 2 years because I couldn't deal with it any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

I've had a paragard IUD since March 2012, but I still get really awful cramps every month -- to the point where I'm considering getting it taken out. I've brought up the pain issue to my obgyn before in case it suggested something being off, but he said it's normal.

However, I'm really wary to go on hormonal birth control -- I've taken yaz before, which was horrible and had really stupid effects on me (touch aversion was the weirdest one), and I have health anxiety that makes me focus on dumb things like possible clots, even though I probably will not get clots. So, I'm hesitant to get anything that's hormonal for birth control, basically.

What I'm asking is this: My cramps haven't gotten any better since I've gotten this thing put in. Is there anything I can do to make it better? Should I just toughen up and deal with it every month (it really hurts :( and sometimes they're mid-cycle)? Should I get it removed and just use barrier methods? Should I press the issue to my obgyn, since the pain hasn't gotten better?

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
What do you take? Can you take ibuprofen? That helps neutralize the hormones that cause cramping. I get pretty awful cramps with my Mirena (mid cycle ones as well, though they aren't as bad), too, but ibu usually always either knocks them out or makes them deal-able. I don't get a real period, but I get a "period time" type thing, so I try to head it off at the pass with some ibu before I know it's due.

edit: I'm not trying to pressure you into keeping it, just curious as to what you've tried for the cramps. If you feel you'd be better with it out, get it out.

Geolicious fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 3, 2014

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Geolicious posted:

What do you take? Can you take ibuprofen? That helps neutralize the hormones that cause cramping. I get pretty awful cramps with my Mirena (mid cycle ones as well, though they aren't as bad), too, but ibu usually always either knocks them out or makes them deal-able. I don't get a real period, but I get a "period time" type thing, so I try to head it off at the pass with some ibu before I know it's due.

edit: I'm not trying to pressure you into keeping it, just curious as to what you've tried for the cramps. If you feel you'd be better with it out, get it out.

I take ibuprofen or aleve, but I have family who have stomach issues now because of excessive NSAID use, and I don't want to be the next one on that train :( I usually take 2 ibuprofen when I need it or 2 aleve, and it generally gets the pain down to a manageable level, but not totally gone. I used to take vit E daily, which helped, but I've gotten out of the habit. I might try that again, but I wasn't sure if it was just placebo or false attribution or something. Then again if it helps, does it matter? :)

I definitely want to keep this thing -- I'm in school and my spouse and I aren't sure if we even want kids, and this is the easiest method of no-kid-having.

Weirdest part of iud cramping: I get cramping in my right thigh -- I never got this before! Scared the crap of me the first time I got it (hello clot fear), but it turns out it's pretty normal.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
The cramps go into my thighs, too. It's awful.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Gnossiennes posted:

I take ibuprofen or aleve, but I have family who have stomach issues now because of excessive NSAID use, and I don't want to be the next one on that train :( I usually take 2 ibuprofen when I need it or 2 aleve, and it generally gets the pain down to a manageable level, but not totally gone. I used to take vit E daily, which helped, but I've gotten out of the habit. I might try that again, but I wasn't sure if it was just placebo or false attribution or something. Then again if it helps, does it matter? :)

I definitely want to keep this thing -- I'm in school and my spouse and I aren't sure if we even want kids, and this is the easiest method of no-kid-having.

Weirdest part of iud cramping: I get cramping in my right thigh -- I never got this before! Scared the crap of me the first time I got it (hello clot fear), but it turns out it's pretty normal.

Chances are taking a few ibuprofen a few days out of the month will not give you long term stomach issues. That's usually something that comes from taking lotsof NSAIDs all day everyday for a long time.

Have you tried heat at all? Ibuprofen helps me out, but when it gets really bad I use a heat pad and that usually knocks the cramps out nicely (or at worst will make them milder). If I'm busy and can't just sit on the couch all day, I use the Thermacare heat patches that you can just stick in your underwear.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Kimmalah posted:

Chances are taking a few ibuprofen a few days out of the month will not give you long term stomach issues. That's usually something that comes from taking lotsof NSAIDs all day everyday for a long time.

Have you tried heat at all? Ibuprofen helps me out, but when it gets really bad I use a heat pad and that usually knocks the cramps out nicely (or at worst will make them milder). If I'm busy and can't just sit on the couch all day, I use the Thermacare heat patches that you can just stick in your underwear.

I usually end up taking nsaids 4-6 times a week for various stuff. One of my family members has taken high doseage ibu for years and has issues stemming from it, the other usually took about the same amount I do. She has ulcerative colitis, though, so I'm guessing issues stem from nsaids affecting that, rather than causing it.

I've used heat before, but they don't do all that much for me. Plus I live in the deep south, and extra heat this time of year is pretty unbearable v:shobon:v It's alright in the winter though.

Generally I just expect that they'll be about 5-6 days every month where the cramps suck, and a day where I won't get a whole lot accomplished.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
I'm currently having my first period with Mirena and it's been suspiciously great. I would call it 'spotting' rather than bleeding, and no cramps at all. What.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I got my first period with Mirena about 2 weeks after insertion. It was normal, 5 days, and a little crampier than my pill periods. And so far, it's was the last period I've had. So, worth it.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
My girlfriend feels like her birth control is affecting her sex drive, so we're switching to condoms. Where is the best place to get a deal on a bigger pack of condoms?

This looked alright: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000FCGDHW?cache=0f85fcba49875d0ed62e168dee2674b8&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&qid=1402024449&sr=8-7#ref=mp_s_a_1_7

Any other suggestions?

Edit: I also found these, but that price seems ridiculous for 100. Does anyone have experience with these lifestyle condoms?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0097...ref=mp_s_a_1_11

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 6, 2014

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Super Dude posted:

My girlfriend feels like her birth control is affecting her sex drive, so we're switching to condoms. Where is the best place to get a deal on a bigger pack of condoms?

This looked alright: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000FCGDHW?cache=0f85fcba49875d0ed62e168dee2674b8&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&qid=1402024449&sr=8-7#ref=mp_s_a_1_7

Any other suggestions?

If you haven't regularly used condoms for a while you should buy a couple from several different brands to try before buying in bulk.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Condomdepot.com if you know what you like and want to buy in bulk. I think they have samplers too. They also always have a coupon, so google first.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Anne Whateley posted:

Condomdepot.com if you know what you like and want to buy in bulk. I think they have samplers too. They also always have a coupon, so google first.

They have a 32 pack sampler for $30 and a 100 pack sampler for $30. I guess I'll go with the 100 pack...

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
That sounds like "handfuls of whatever we have extras of"; they don't guarantee what's in it. Get one where they spell it out and there's just a couple of each, like the World's Best tin or Japan tin. Samplers page, current coupon is 12SAVE

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Ladies! I need a bit of advice.

I got the Implanon inserted last Thursday, May 29th (at about 2pm). I was told to use a backup method for 7 days.

However, we got a little frisky last night and had sex at about 11:30 pm. Technically I abstained for 7 days and 8 hours or so. Was I covered by then, or do I need to call up Planned Parenthood for a morning-after pill? :ohdear:

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

I was told to use a backup method for 7 days.

... Technically I abstained for 7 days and 8 hours or so.

Pretty sure you're fine. Seven days is a safety buffer just to be 100% sure the hormones have kicked in and are doing their thing. You waited over the seven days! It's grand.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Anne Whateley posted:

That sounds like "handfuls of whatever we have extras of"; they don't guarantee what's in it. Get one where they spell it out and there's just a couple of each, like the World's Best tin or Japan tin. Samplers page, current coupon is 12SAVE

The reviews seem to point out that there is a nice variety. They guarantee that there are condoms in it, which is what I was looking for.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

floofyscorp posted:

Pretty sure you're fine. Seven days is a safety buffer just to be 100% sure the hormones have kicked in and are doing their thing. You waited over the seven days! It's grand.

Thanks. I ended up calling them and they said the same thing. It's a relief. Just wondered if I was cutting it a little bit too close. :sweatdrop:

Here's to 3 years of no babies!

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

Thanks. I ended up calling them and they said the same thing. It's a relief. Just wondered if I was cutting it a little bit too close. :sweatdrop:

Here's to 3 years of no babies!

Hell yeah, enjoy it! I happened to realise last night that I'd just passed the first anniversary of getting my Nexplanon. Best decision I've ever made regarding my ladyparts.

T. J. Eckleburg
Apr 10, 2007
sorry about the clock.

I forgot to refill my Nuvaring prescription and it looks like I am not going to get it in time. :( I have been on Nuvaring for a while, took it out last Sunday around 10pm after wearing it for three weeks, had my period like normal, etc.

Assuming I get my Nuvaring tomorrow morning and put it in, how long until I am "in the clear"?

The package insert doesn't seem to cover this possibility...

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

T. J. Eckleburg posted:

I forgot to refill my Nuvaring prescription and it looks like I am not going to get it in time. :( I have been on Nuvaring for a while, took it out last Sunday around 10pm after wearing it for three weeks, had my period like normal, etc.

Assuming I get my Nuvaring tomorrow morning and put it in, how long until I am "in the clear"?

The package insert doesn't seem to cover this possibility...

I know when I was on the pill, the insert basically said you were OK if you missed a day, but after that could be problems. But I think that was mid-cycle rather than at the end of the off week.

The usual rule of thumb I hear is 7 days of hormonal BC and you're "in the clear," so you could always just put it in and use back-up protection for a week to be sure. You could also try asking the pharmacist when you pick up the prescription or calling the doctor who prescribed it to see what they think, although they tend to err more on the conservative side when it comes to this sort of thing.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012

Super Dude posted:

Edit: I also found these, but that price seems ridiculous for 100. Does anyone have experience with these lifestyle condoms?

My bf and I had to use lifestyles since hes larger and getting the condoms I had on him was literally impossible without trying to dig my nails in and that's just asking for holes and a sore man. I can't use magnums since I have a latex allergy. Lifestyles is (was?) the only brand to make a plus size non-latex condom. They worked fine, never broke, no problems with it slipping off, kept the our fluids separate, pretty much everything you'd want in a condom. I have an iud now and it's the best decision ever so I don't remember the last time I used a condom.

My bf brought up the other day that occasionally he can feel the mirena poking him. Is that normal? I've had it since October so the strings should have softened and I'm not hurting or anything so I don't think its loose.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

CeramicPig posted:

My bf brought up the other day that occasionally he can feel the mirena poking him. Is that normal? I've had it since October so the strings should have softened and I'm not hurting or anything so I don't think its loose.

My wife has had her Mirena since about this time last year, depending on where she is in her cycle and positions I still occasionally get poked by the strings. Not enough of a bother to justify an office visit to have them trimmed - plus I'm afraid it would just make matters worse. In our case its no worse than some light dragging of teeth across the head during a blowjob, but I kind of like that so YMMV.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

CeramicPig posted:

Does he mean the strings or the Mirena itself? Feeling the strings is normal, obviously being poked by the actual IUD is not. If it's a real problem you can try getting them trimmed, although sometimes that just ends up making the strings "pokier."

biggest platypus
Mar 10, 2014

CeramicPig posted:

I just asked my bf about this (I've had my mirena for ~3 years and remember he used to comment on the strings poking). He said it took a year or two, but gradually it lessened and he hasn't felt them for awhile now. Seems like it takes quite awhile to soften all the way - I'd give it time if your bf can stand it and if everything still seems to be in place.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
He wasn't complaining at all, I just asked if he still got poked. I don't know how it feels to him though. He said it doesn't hurt and he can plow through it just fine (which I believe since he hadn't brought it up til I asked) but I was just curious if others had that too. Its not hurting anyone so I'm not worrying about it. So long as nothing comes crawling out of me I will continue to love this mirena as though it were the child it's preventing me from having.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

CeramicPig posted:

I will continue to love this mirena as though it were the child it's preventing me from having.

This made me day. And sums up my feelings.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
***Gross stuff ahead!! Boys, turn back now!!!***

So I've got a Nexplanon in me and am on a lovely 24/7/365 bleeding schedule. I just got an email that it's time to schedule my annual exam and pap smear - well, obviously it's polite to wait until your period is over to have it but what if your period never stops? Can you get an exam/pap smear while bleeding? I can't find anything specific on Google other than to "reschedule to when your period is over" - what's worse, it says the period makes it harder for the pathologist to determine if there are abnormal cells and the results often come back inconclusive. What do you guys think I should do? My best guess is to wear a tampon there and then remove it right before I undress so that it has soaked up as much as possible so that there isn't too much gunk "in the way" of the cell collecting tool thingy.

The Baroness
Oct 1, 2004
Glasses, evil and HAWT

drat Bananas posted:

So I've got a Nexplanon in me and am on a lovely 24/7/365 bleeding schedule. I just got an email that it's time to schedule my annual exam and pap smear - well, obviously it's polite to wait until your period is over to have it but what if your period never stops? Can you get an exam/pap smear while bleeding? I can't find anything specific on Google other than to "reschedule to when your period is over" - what's worse, it says the period makes it harder for the pathologist to determine if there are abnormal cells and the results often come back inconclusive. What do you guys think I should do? My best guess is to wear a tampon there and then remove it right before I undress so that it has soaked up as much as possible so that there isn't too much gunk "in the way" of the cell collecting tool thingy.

I went in to get a pap on the first day of an unexpected period. My doctor had no issues poking around, but warned that with the blood the lab may not have enough clean stuff to test and if so I would have to come back in after it ended. I would call your gyne and ask them what they recommend.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

drat Bananas posted:

drat Bananas posted:

Maybe call your doctor/clinic to explain the situation? I've never had a pap on my period, but I have had a colposcopy while bleeding. Bit of a different situation there though, since they swab your cervix with iodine or vinegar at the beginning.

Ugh, just had a flashback to the doubling down of cramps and bleeding after the two times I had biopsies during my period. Not. Fun.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I've had a pap on a light day of my period - very beginning or very end, I can't remember. There was no problem. Pap's always make me bleed anyway so it wasn't a thing. Doc didn't care.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

It probably just depends on how heavy it is. I've unexpectedly started my period before appointments and they didn't have a problem with it as long as it was just a little spotting/light bleeding. I would just call ahead and explain the situation, see what the doctor thinks.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
You're not supposed to wear a tampon before a Pap smear because it can return abnormal results. If it's light spotting, I would make the appointment and just explain to the doctor before she dives in. If it's heavy, call the office and ask what they recommend. They'll probably pass your question along to the doctor, but it won't be weird that you asked.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Good to know re: tampon! Thanks you guys, I'll try to call up there tomorrow and see what they recommend.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
This is kind-of serious. I'm 26.

I am having issues with my birth control messing with my sex drive, and I need help finding a different pill to take instead of Reclipsen. I feel like I am flat lining. I rarely masturbate, so I know it's not an issue with my partner

I used to take Desogen, and Apri, Apri giving me a noticeable drop.

Any suggestions? I am terrified of other forms of birth control, and stick with condoms and the pill.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

It sounds like all of those are combined pills. Maybe you could try progesterone-only pills instead? They might have a different effect on your libido.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003
Making baby jesus cry since 1984.

Bina posted:

This is kind-of serious. I'm 26.

I am having issues with my birth control messing with my sex drive, and I need help finding a different pill to take instead of Reclipsen. I feel like I am flat lining. I rarely masturbate, so I know it's not an issue with my partner

I used to take Desogen, and Apri, Apri giving me a noticeable drop.

Any suggestions? I am terrified of other forms of birth control, and stick with condoms and the pill.

What terrifies you about other methods of birth control?

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
I'm a bit complacent with pills and condoms. I get worked up thinking about the dangers of the other kinds.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

Bina posted:

I'm a bit complacent with pills and condoms. I get worked up thinking about the dangers of the other kinds.

What dangers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
Edit: nope. Not gonna be misinterpreted, it was meant to be a joke.

CeramicPig fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 14, 2014

• Locked thread