Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Speaking about :australia: $15,000 LEGO heist in Melbourne. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

SynthOrange posted:

Is there an article to go with this?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-03/thieves-steal-15000-dollars-in-lego-from-victorian-toy-store/5495608

They also went with this image for the article:

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

SynthOrange posted:

It was awkward reading that article this morning because I am cleaning out my Lego collection and listed, like, a dozen City and Collector sets on gumtree last night :-/

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

cyberia posted:

It was awkward reading that article this morning because I am cleaning out my Lego collection and listed, like, a dozen City and Collector sets on gumtree last night :-/

Edit the listing to say 'Not Stolen'. That'll do it.

Built Ecto-1 last night over 3 eps of Game of Thrones. It's such a nice build, and the finished product looks fantastic. Lots of really clever bits and pieces, you're putting them together and wondering what this is.. Oh! It's that bit of the roof rack!

Something I noticed on this and the Delorean is the high number of small pieces, lots of 1x1s and whatnot all over, which do a lot of the heavy lifting in making it resemble the actual car. It means that in places it can feel a bit fragile in places (or possibly my bear paws just aren't as delicate sometimes) where something is basically held on by a single stud.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

I loved the Ecto-1 build so much I went back and bought a second one at the Bellevue Lego store. Goddamn Lego out did themselves with this set.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I always laugh at these LEGO heists. Sure it's expensive, but drat, risk jail time for LEGO?

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
The latest Lego Ideas review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrWK3UIvXYs

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I hope they stick with the all women theme. I already sent my sister (neuroscientist) the female science fig from a couple collectible series ago, but she could always use another, and a close relative is getting her PhD in paleontology right now.

I wish it was coming with a little rat maze prop (most of what my sister does in the lab), but it seems unlikely.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

djfooboo posted:

I always laugh at these LEGO heists. Sure it's expensive, but drat, risk jail time for LEGO?

Ignoring the additional effort to get rid of the lego, grabbing 10k$ is about the same take as robbing a bank.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Kind of sad the Japanese buildings set didn't make it. Probably would have helped if their examples weren't gigantic buildings with a million pieces though.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
So out of the new sets under review, which do you all think will make it? I think the BBT and apple store sets are the least likely and the BTTF train might be too big but the others all seem relatively reasonable.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Gabriel Pope posted:

Kind of sad the Japanese buildings set didn't make it. Probably would have helped if their examples weren't gigantic buildings with a million pieces though.
I think it kind of got stuck out by violating the new guidelines that say you can't suggest themes. "One Project = One LEGO Set." Yes, the guidelines didn't exist when the project made the cut, but clearly they reflect what LEGO wants from this system.

http://blog.lego.cuusoo.com/2013/12/12/updates-guidelines-house-rules-terms-service/

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I think the Bird one is a shoe-in to win this one, both for lack of copyright and broad range of potential sets.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)
Love the new Arctic theme so much, especially the icebreaker and the cargo plane. Something about that shade of orange. Shame about that drat one-piece cockpit on the plane and skycrane, but I think it's the least-poo poo one-piece cockpit they've had in a while.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I can't help but feel the female scientist set was a holdover for such an occurrence (as happened) where none of the period's subjects were deemed suitable. Out of the 4 this time and the holdover, the holdover won, almost like it was set up to do so.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Cloks posted:

So out of the new sets under review, which do you all think will make it? I think the BBT and apple store sets are the least likely and the BTTF train might be too big but the others all seem relatively reasonable.

It's going to be Doctor Who. The license basically made double the votes of anything else, it's easy to make a signature set from as the TARDIS is iconic and they only recently announced that whatever rights conflict existed before has been cleared up. Why publicly announce that they are now accepting Doctor Who ideas if there wasn't a desire to make one?

If Doctor Who doesn't win I can see it being because there's already a set on the way independent of Ideas.

My dream would be one set and a line of minifigs to cover every Doctor and some villains.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

PriorMarcus posted:

It's going to be Doctor Who. The license basically made double the votes of anything else, it's easy to make a signature set from as the TARDIS is iconic and they only recently announced that whatever rights conflict existed before has been cleared up. Why publicly announce that they are now accepting Doctor Who ideas if there wasn't a desire to make one?

If Doctor Who doesn't win I can see it being because there's already a set on the way independent of Ideas.

My dream would be one set and a line of minifigs to cover every Doctor and some villains.

But why put all the doctors in one set when they can make you buy 12 (or 13, if you are pedantic) different sets?

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
He didn't say to put all the Doctors in one set he said a line of minifigures to cover every doctor and some villians, similar to The Simpsons minifigures I guess.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

tactical_grace posted:

Love the new Arctic theme so much, especially the icebreaker and the cargo plane. Something about that shade of orange. Shame about that drat one-piece cockpit on the plane and skycrane, but I think it's the least-poo poo one-piece cockpit they've had in a while.

I love the new husky mold :allears:

PriorMarcus posted:

It's going to be Doctor Who.

If they do Doctor Who I will eat my hat. I don't want another draw for the jorts crowd.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Am I a bad person if I think the Birds set is boring? It doesn't even look that great.

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005

tactical_grace posted:

I hear you. I have a friend who is looking forward to these sets to hit Target so he can use all his gift cards.

This is the same friend who will not forgive me for pointing out that the Arctic Supply Plane looks very similar to the Sea Duck from TaleSpin.:monocle: I must have one!

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Dr Who is an obvious choice because there's a strong overlap between both adult and child fans of LEGO.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I built Spaceship^3 today. It's a great model with a lot of features, much like the police dropship (I've heard the construction mech has a deficit of them which is why I haven't bought it), but probably the best thing about it is the build. I spend a lot of time building fiddly models with greebling and whatnot, so to feel like I did a lot of cool stuff every step was a good feeling. Love the kitty astromech slot, the unexpected interior part with awesome power core thing, and the front cockpit is great. It's quite easy to fit the figs in there (compared to trying to stand up robo swat in the back of the dropship, ugh). Also bag 1, which is the two mini ships and the Octan fighter, could be it's own $13-20 set.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Am I a bad person if I think the Birds set is boring? It doesn't even look that great.

It's a creator set without multiple builds.I wouldn't buy it.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Neurion posted:

If they do Doctor Who I will eat my hat. I don't want another draw for the jorts crowd.

But isn't that what the Ideas range has become? They've already done Minecraft, BTTF and Ghostbusters. Why wouldn't they keep cranking out once-off pop culture sets? They're guaranteed to sell a reasonable number of these sets and it keeps the neckbeards happy while children have all the normal Lego lines to collect.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don't think it has that "playability" that they're after.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Ahhhh, that female scientist set is getting released? Yay! :3: That BTTF train is loving amazing too. I will be so disappointed if we get one of the Doctor Who or Sherlock sets instead of that.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

tactical_grace posted:

Yeah, I love me some treads. I'm definitely gonna get 60033 but that cargo plane is slick too. And the ice breaker has new (?) curved window piece.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Ahhhh, that female scientist set is getting released? Yay! :3: That BTTF train is loving amazing too. I will be so disappointed if we get one of the Doctor Who or Sherlock sets instead of that.

I just don't see the Back to the Future set even being seriously considered. It would by far the biggest project to come from Ideas and if Lego were really all that bothered about releasing more sets under that license they would do any way, like with Minecraft, that has become a line all of it's own - they are even make a mini-fig scale series of sets for release this Christmas.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

PriorMarcus posted:

I just don't see the Back to the Future set even being seriously considered. It would by far the biggest project to come from Ideas and if Lego were really all that bothered about releasing more sets under that license they would do any way, like with Minecraft, that has become a line all of it's own - they are even make a mini-fig scale series of sets for release this Christmas.

Yeah, I'm 99% sure the train will never be. Partly due to size, partly because I don't see them making multiple kits out of one franchise (Minecraft excepted). It's a shame though.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

This would look great next to my VW camper van :fap: also UK number plate represent

E: Holy poo poo it's real

Waldorf Sixpence fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jun 4, 2014

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I like that the "cheese wedges" are cheese wedges.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

This would look great next to my VW camper van :fap: also UK number plate represent

Hopefully the scale is the same. It looks close, but you can never really tell until they're side by side.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Those ice skates are well used.

xzzy posted:

Hopefully the scale is the same. It looks close, but you can never really tell until they're side by side.

I don't know, judging by the size of that bottle it's a larger scale.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

MaliciousOnion posted:

Those ice skates are well used.

I don't know, judging by the size of that bottle it's a larger scale.

That bottle is fantastic.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

tactical_grace posted:

I'm all over that skycrane, a cooler helicopter has never existed. Plus at least the cockpit is usable for cargo planes and helicopters in general.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
The Mini's white roof is 12 studs from edge to edge, same width as the VW camper van. Definitely going to buy it as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh that's fantastic. British Racing Green, too! :britain: