Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Rime posted:

Several new branches have been in the ground floor of upscale low-rise condos which they funded. The Hastings & Gilmore branch for example.

They don't have the horrific mismanagement of Coast Capital, but their asset exposure to the lower mainland bubble is quite extreme.

Coast Capital has horrific management?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Lexicon posted:

Coast Capital has horrific management?

Well there's this, with the ongoing obscene pay scales fiasco. There was also this thing last year.

:shrug:

Rime fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 3, 2014

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Interesting. I'm technically a member, but I only have about $10 in my account, and I haven't used them properly for years. Might as well close it and be done with them.

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.
Here's my quick situation:
  • $45k/yr salary ($2825.35 take home after insurance deductions, taxes, etc.) + $3600 reportable income from a webdesign side job

• $11,290 student loan @ 5.5%, currently accruing interest for the next 6 months until repayments are due (interest is only applied to principal at the end of the 6 month period)

• $22,780 student loan @ 3%, currently interest free for the next 6 months until repayments are due

• $9,435$ currently earmarked for student loan payments, growing at about $1200-$1700 of savings per month

• $5000 emergency fund + other monies earmarked for car maintenance, medical, travel, moving expenses
I'm about to enrol in my companies ESPP, which allows 10% of my gross to be used for shares purchases, of which the company matches 50%. So I'd be contributing $282.54, plus receiving a match of $141.27, for a total of $423.81 per month. The ESPP allows these shares to be held in a non-registered account, and an RRSP. I can change the % allocation once every quarter.

Since I think I have a long way to go until I'm in the $87,907 level of income, my current plan is to make these contributions into the RRSP so long as I don't dip below $43,953. I currently have ~14k of RRSP contribution room available, so it should definitely be manageable.

Does this make any sense? Once I get my 5.5% loan paid off, I'm going to begin building up my investment portfolio of low-MER ETFs in a TFSA.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Grouco posted:

• $45k/yr salary ($2825.35 take home after insurance deductions, taxes, etc.) + $3600 reportable income from a webdesign side job

• $11,290 student loan @ 5.5%, currently accruing interest for the next 6 months until repayments are due (interest is only applied to principal at the end of the 6 month period)

• $22,780 student loan @ 3%, currently interest free for the next 6 months until repayments are due

• $9,435$ currently earmarked for student loan payments, growing at about $1200-$1700 of savings per month

• $5000 emergency fund + other monies earmarked for car maintenance, medical, travel, moving expenses
I'm about to enrol in my companies ESPP, which allows 10% of my gross to be used for shares purchases, of which the company matches 50%. So I'd be contributing $282.54, plus receiving a match of $141.27, for a total of $423.81 per month. The ESPP allows these shares to be held in a non-registered account, and an RRSP. I can change the % allocation once every quarter.

Since I think I have a long way to go until I'm in the $87,907 level of income, my current plan is to make these contributions into the RRSP so long as I don't dip below $43,953. I currently have ~14k of RRSP contribution room available, so it should definitely be manageable.

Does this make any sense? Once I get my 5.5% loan paid off, I'm going to begin building up my investment portfolio of low-MER ETFs in a TFSA.

There's an argument to be made for putting your stock match from your employer in a taxable account and saving the deduction for when your income is higher. However, given where you are in your bracket it will be some time until you hit the point where that changes materially, so the present value of the tax savings is such that you're likely better off using the contribution room you have now, or at least not materially worse off. You'll get more as you continue earning income and if you get a sense that your career trajectory is pointing you towards the upper brackets you can start switching your contributions to the taxable account.

You could consider moving some of the savings currently earmarked for debt repayment into TFSA contributions, assuming you think you can get better returns investing than you are paying in interest (based on historical rates this should be very doable), but that depends on your risk bias, and the day you clear student loans is a really nice day so ymmv. Heck, you could put the savings in a High-yield TFSA just to boost your effective yield if you don't want that money in a risky pool. You can pull it out to pay the debt and just re contribute as you continue saving in future years.

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005

Kalenn Istarion posted:

There's an argument to be made for putting your stock match from your employer in a taxable account and saving the deduction for when your income is higher. However, given where you are in your bracket it will be some time until you hit the point where that changes materially, so the present value of the tax savings is such that you're likely better off using the contribution room you have now, or at least not materially worse off. You'll get more as you continue earning income and if you get a sense that your career trajectory is pointing you towards the upper brackets you can start switching your contributions to the taxable account.

You could consider moving some of the savings currently earmarked for debt repayment into TFSA contributions, assuming you think you can get better returns investing than you are paying in interest (based on historical rates this should be very doable), but that depends on your risk bias, and the day you clear student loans is a really nice day so ymmv. Heck, you could put the savings in a High-yield TFSA just to boost your effective yield if you don't want that money in a risky pool. You can pull it out to pay the debt and just re contribute as you continue saving in future years.

Thanks for this. Yea, that's what I was thinking re: "at least not materially worse off" by going into the RRSP.

My 3% loan is in a grace period for 6 months with no accruing interest, while the 5.5% is also in a 6 month grace period, yet accruing interest that will be added to the principal.

Once I get the 5.5% loan paid off I'll re-evaluate my risk tolerance, and likely begin building my portfolio in a TFSA. There's just a big mental pay-off for me with the student loans, and I'm so close to having the 5.5%er paid off. I'm also moving my 5k emergency fund to a Peoples Trust 3% TFSA, while keeping my other savings and chequing account with Tangerine. I'll be using Questrade for ETFs.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Grouco posted:

Always take free money - but I always suggest that people not hold shares in their own employer longer than short-term (ask people from RIM or Nortel why). In the past, when I've been in this situation - I always sold the shares and re-invested in a stock index as soon as the plan permitted me to do so.

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005

Lexicon posted:

Always take free money - but I always suggest that people not hold shares in their own employer longer than short-term (ask people from RIM or Nortel why). In the past, when I've been in this situation - I always sold the shares and re-invested in a stock index as soon as the plan permitted me to do so.

Thanks. There's a 1yr holding period on the shares purchased with the 50% company contribution. I certainly don't want to be under-diversified. I believe the general outlook is stable, and the industry is certainly growing, though from my position I get to see a lot of potential operational problems, which likely taints my view in a somewhat negative light. I think the company has a unique position in the market, which will be increasingly desirable. It is a micro-cap, and on the TSX, so there isn't much investment research from what I can tell, though what I have seen has listed it buy/hold. It's a 4.3 on Morningstar atm.

The associated fees through the ESPP management company are kinda lovely, but hey, it's still "free money."

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Grouco posted:

Thanks. There's a 1yr holding period on the shares purchased with the 50% company contribution. I certainly don't want to be under-diversified. I believe the general outlook is stable, and the industry is certainly growing, though from my position I get to see a lot of potential operational problems, which likely taints my view in a somewhat negative light. I think the company has a unique position in the market, which will be increasingly desirable. It is a micro-cap, and on the TSX, so there isn't much investment research from what I can tell, though what I have seen has listed it buy/hold. It's a 4.3 on Morningstar atm.

The associated fees through the ESPP management company are kinda lovely, but hey, it's still "free money."

Even with fees it's still income you wouldn't otherwise have. Fees out of pocket on an ESOP / ESPP are dumb though.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Grouco posted:

My philosophy is that the company outlook is basically irrelevant. When you work somewhere, you already have a tremendous amount of downside risk tied to their failure, and likely a decent amount of upside potential tied to their success. Owning their shares simply magnifies this exposure - particularly the former.

I had to reason my dad out of this one. He had $1XX,XXX worth of his company shares he had acquired over the years. He wasn't keen to sell them until I asked him "If you didn't have those shares, and I gave you $1XX,XXX in cash right now, would you immediately spend the whole thing on shares in this single company (that you work for!)?".

He started the paperwork to sell them the next day.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Bro, Max your espp the gently caress out. If the price sucks on buy day, just sell the bitch.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
For those opening Waterhouse accounts: it would be wise to hide your trading password somewhere secure. So that you can't, say, log in at 2am and buy many hundred dollars worth of penny stock in mining companies. :v:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Ok, I'll bite. What happened?

fakedit: at least it wasn't buttcoins!

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I have my company's share purchase plan going to a non-registered account and dump it ASAP to put into my general savings. I would never in a million years be investing hundreds of dollars a month in one rinky dink company. Amazing how many of my coworkers have said "Well my company stock has done better than the rest of my savings so why would I dump it?!"

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Rime posted:

For those opening Waterhouse accounts: it would be wise to hide your trading password somewhere secure. So that you can't, say, log in at 2am and buy many hundred dollars worth of penny stock in mining companies. :v:

Haha

I did something similar earlier this week, but was too ashamed to mention it here. Bought a pennystock on a complete whim on Monday after several drinks, however, I'm up 40%
sure to be followed by a drop of 80% :v:

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch
Regarding investing in the company you work with, I tend to avoid my company's ESOP for the same "too much risk" reason, but it's worth mentioning that for privately held companies, the shares generally qualify for the Lifetime Capital Gains Exemption, which is $800k in 2014. The tax breaks are substantial and make the risk a little more palatable.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

slidebite posted:

Haha

I did something similar earlier this week, but was too ashamed to mention it here. Bought a pennystock on a complete whim on Monday after several drinks, however, I'm up 40%
sure to be followed by a drop of 80% :v:

Yeah mine haven't really moved much in either direction, but they were purchased as long-term bets on the rare earths market taking off in the Americas anyways. Seems like a decent bet following the Tesla announcement last week.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Rime posted:

Yeah mine haven't really moved much in either direction, but they were purchased as long-term bets on the rare earths market taking off in the Americas anyways. Seems like a decent bet following the Tesla announcement last week.

The rare earths market will remain poo poo until forever as China has hilarious multiples of the amounts available elsewhere and is the only country that even produces meaningful amounts. Look at page 10 of this: http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/natsec/R41347.pdf

Remember how everyone thought moly was going to be a thing? And then the real producers of it turned on like one mine that swamped all the other new production. Moly has returned to the lovely byproduct metal it had always been.

If I was you I'd unwind those trades post haste... But that's just me.

Kalenn Istarion fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 6, 2014

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Quote is not edit gently caress

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
The US push to develop strategic reserves in the face of China's monopoly was actually what prompted me to buy in, since both companies have passed approval and are in the construction stages right now in conjunction with third party processing firms. I'm betting on a strategic acquisition by a Chinese shell company, such as what happened to Altair Nanotech in 2011.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Rime posted:

The US push to develop strategic reserves in the face of China's monopoly was actually what prompted me to buy in, since both companies have passed approval and are in the construction stages right now in conjunction with third party processing firms. I'm betting on a strategic acquisition by a Chinese shell company, such as what happened to Altair Nanotech in 2011.

Which two did you buy? If the reserves are in the US there will now be significant problems selling them to Chinese buyers. Need to also look at whether the land is on us federal land or private, and whether there are any military bases nearby. More likely that they're bought by an end user, if they can produce profitably.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
REE & WLC. Watching the pump & dump scam that is "Mining in British Columbia" for a decade has made me pretty wary of ensuring the company is "serious", vs. the kind of chucklefucks that buy the Caroline Mines every two years with a lazy business plan and then vanish when they've funneled the raised capital into offshore accounts.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Rime posted:

REE & WLC. Watching the pump & dump scam that is "Mining in British Columbia" for a decade has made me pretty wary of ensuring the company is "serious", vs. the kind of chucklefucks that buy the Caroline Mines every two years with a lazy business plan and then vanish when they've funneled the raised capital into offshore accounts.

Mining promotion is a great business for the promoters :v:

And anyone who can get in on the initial privates. They actually have a lot of supporters because they create significant wealth for that subset of investors.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Holy gently caress, VTI is north of $100 USD. I last bought some at $93 and was a bit nervous about that.

This is a pretty good lesson about sticking to one's allocation and not trying to time the market. Obviously it's going to correct at some point, but we don't know when.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
I'm up about 10% in the last six months, entirely in diversified equity indexes.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Picked up some VDY and BB. VDY probably will hold for a long time but BB probably a year to two years. Their CEO seems to have his head on straight, and they're projecting to actually start being profitable in the next year. I also have high hopes for their entrance into M2M\IOT.

Was also thinking of picking up COS for the long term since they have high dividends and I don't see oilsands shrinking.

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 10, 2014

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Anyone got VWO?

I've totally got a first world problem. All my poo poo is spread out over multiple accounts in multiple countries and I can't keep track of it all, even with mint. Should I just repatriate it all to my Canadian investment guy?

I still have to fill out that T1135 or whatever it is.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Cultural Imperial posted:

Anyone got VWO?

I've totally got a first world problem. All my poo poo is spread out over multiple accounts in multiple countries and I can't keep track of it all, even with mint. Should I just repatriate it all to my Canadian investment guy?

I still have to fill out that T1135 or whatever it is.

Just leave them spread out and then you have an excuse when you 'forget' to include them on your tax return :v:

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Currently only investing in the TSX at the moment, can someone explain to me what the benefits on investing on American exchanges are?

I understand you get access to some companies that aren't listed on the TSX, but if I read correctly, IRS will tax 15% of the dividends of foreign investors which is a negative.

Also if the company is listed on both American and Canadian exchanges, benefits of investing on either or?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

lol internet. posted:

Currently only investing in the TSX at the moment, can someone explain to me what the benefits on investing on American exchanges are?

I understand you get access to some companies that aren't listed on the TSX, but if I read correctly, IRS will tax 15% of the dividends of foreign investors which is a negative.

Also if the company is listed on both American and Canadian exchanges, benefits of investing on either or?

This seems like an odd question - maybe I'm not understanding you? Canada has a small, poorly diversified economy. If you only invest on the TSX, you are, generally speaking, only able to buy exposure to that. Add in American and overseas stocks, and you get to invest in the whole world's productivity and ingenuity, not just ours.

Not very many stocks are listed on both exchanges - RBC is one such example that is though. It would be stupid for a Canadian to buy the American version (except in limited circumstances like using it as a vector for Norbert's Gambit), as the domestic version's dividends are taxed favourably.

Otherwise, don't worry too much about the 15% held by the IRS - it turns into a foreign tax credit here.

edit: one other reason to buy American listed things is if you like having some currency diversification. For the US portion of my portfolio I hold VTI - a US listed index-fund.

Lexicon fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jun 13, 2014

dogpower
Dec 28, 2008

Lexicon posted:

This seems like an odd question - maybe I'm not understanding you? Canada has a small, poorly diversified economy. If you only invest on the TSX, you are, generally speaking, only able to buy exposure to that. Add in American and overseas stocks, and you get to invest in the whole world's productivity and ingenuity, not just ours.

Not very many stocks are listed on both exchanges - RBC is one such example that is though. It would be stupid for a Canadian to buy the American version (except in limited circumstances like using it as a vector for Norbert's Gambit), as the domestic version's dividends are taxed favourably.

Otherwise, don't worry too much about the 15% held by the IRS - it turns into a foreign tax credit here.

edit: one other reason to buy American listed things is if you like having some currency diversification. For the US portion of my portfolio I hold VTI - a US listed index-fund.

Do they tax U.S stocks in your RRSP though?

I'm interested in buying some U.S blue chip stocks. I'm thinking Wells Fargo for my RRSP at the moment. I read if you are going to buy US stocks with dividends, its best to put in your RRSP

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

dogpower posted:

Do they tax U.S stocks in your RRSP though?

I'm interested in buying some U.S blue chip stocks. I'm thinking Wells Fargo for my RRSP at the moment. I read if you are going to buy US stocks with dividends, its best to put in your RRSP

True, RRSPs are exempt from that tax. At least in a non-registered, you can claim that tax back. All else being equal, a TFSA is the worst choice of all three for US stocks as there's no way to recovery that tax.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
This post explains what to hold in what account for tax reasons, though it's geared towards holding ETFs. I would think that holding US ETFs that hold US stocks directly has the same tax treatment as if you held the US stocks directly.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

spoof posted:

This post explains what to hold in what account for tax reasons, though it's geared towards holding ETFs. I would think that holding US ETFs that hold US stocks directly has the same tax treatment as if you held the US stocks directly.

I don't worry about this because the small amount of witholding tax I lose in my TFSA on my US/international equities is vastly overshadowed by tax-free capital gains and the fact that I don't want any exposure to the bloated plague corpse known as the Canadian economy.

If you really care about this, just stick to equities that just don't pay dividends, like Berkshire Hathaway or Google or whatever.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Franks Happy Place posted:

I don't worry about this because the small amount of witholding tax I lose in my TFSA on my US/international equities is vastly overshadowed by tax-free capital gains

This is a smart way to think about this. I didn't emphasize all else being equal enough above.

dogpower
Dec 28, 2008

Franks Happy Place posted:

I don't worry about this because the small amount of witholding tax I lose in my TFSA on my US/international equities is vastly overshadowed by tax-free capital gains and the fact that I don't want any exposure to the bloated plague corpse known as the Canadian economy.

If you really care about this, just stick to equities that just don't pay dividends, like Berkshire Hathaway or Google or whatever.

I suppose it works out even better if you have U.S growth stocks.

For blue chip companies though, I wonder if the lost in dividends over a long time frame outweigh the tax free capital gains.

Also people need to keep track that they don't over contribute on their TFSA. There was a coding error by the bank so CRA thought I over contributed and didn't tell me for 11 months so I would have potentially gotten a huge penalty if that wasn't sorted out.

If I want to switch over to Vanguard index funds, do I have to sell all my TD series e funds then buy up Vanguard?

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

dogpower posted:

For blue chip companies though, I wonder if the lost in dividends over a long time frame outweigh the tax free capital gains.

You don't lose all of the dividends, just 15% of them.

I'm not advocating one way or another, just stating the facts. My personal TFSA spread is TDB906 (TD Euro Index), TDB952 (TD US Index), and TDB911 (TD International Index). There's probably quite a bit of dividend-paying stock in that sausage, but taking a small hit in the dividends they pay out is offset by convenience, not needing to pay transaction fees (this alone probably offsets a good chunk of the lost taxes), and diversification.

Franks Happy Place fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 14, 2014

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.
Unless you are able to fully max out your TFSA and still have some invested in a margin account on the side, worrying about the 15% withholding on US dividend stocks is ridiculous.

Paying 15% in your TFSA is still better than paying your marginal rate in a non-registered account.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Kal Torak posted:

Unless you are able to fully max out your TFSA and still have some invested in a margin account on the side, worrying about the 15% withholding on US dividend stocks is ridiculous.

Paying 15% in your TFSA is still better than paying your marginal rate in a non-registered account.

Yeah, if you assume $5000 worth of TFSA value sitting 100% in dividend-paying equities, which were yielding 2-3% returns annually, you're talking about like $20 a year in taxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
This seems to be the spot for general Canadian finance questions, and I have one about EI.

The maximum insurable earnings is $48,000 of which you can get 55%. Service Canada also says this means the maximum weekly benefit is $510 (48k/52*55%). But the maximum amount of weeks you can collect EI depends on the unemployment rate in your area. So say that means I can collect 40 weeks maximum in my area. Does the weekly cap of $510 apply, or is it 48k/40*55% = $660?

edit: I guess the former makes more sense, but Service Canada's website is a bit unclear

mik fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 17, 2014