Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Julia actually had a fight in this one but she did her thing again.

Only 1/3 in Finals this week, but that's ok because I have :siren: my audition on Friday!!! :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

The price of greatness is responsibility.

zakharov posted:

Only 1/3 in Finals this week, but that's ok because I have :siren: my audition on Friday!!! :siren:

Good luck! Hey, I know you're a j-board geek - curious what your average Coryat scores have been recently and if you've been doing any specific sort of training. I dork out over this stuff pretty hard.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

My coryats run between 20-30k, depending on categories/luck/phase of the moon. I've been practicing giving answers while standing up, speaking loudly and clearly, buzzing with a pen, and picking categories quickly. I haven't really been drilling myself on knowledge since I already know that I can do well on their test - it's all about presentation.

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

zakharov posted:

My coryats run between 20-30k, depending on categories/luck/phase of the moon. I've been practicing giving answers while standing up, speaking loudly and clearly, buzzing with a pen, and picking categories quickly. I haven't really been drilling myself on knowledge since I already know that I can do well on their test - it's all about presentation.

I drink and chain smoke while playing at home. I think if I ever got on the show a Pavlovian nicotine craving triggered by Alex's voice would destroy me three clues in. When you stand up, click a pen, and yell out answers are other people watching you? Seems like a good way to shed stage fright, at the cost of looking like a dweeb.

I'll be praying for you to get the categories "YANKEE BASEBALL POTPOURRI" and "JETS FIRST ROUND DRAFT SELECTIONS".

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

yourafagpleasedie posted:

They really are cherry picking some stupid drat contenders for Julia. The person answers superman today for the Three Doors Down question when it was in the clue and in the song played???

You do know that the contestants for a particular show are chosen completely at random, right? They literally have a stack of index cards with each potential contestant's name on them (two with stars on the back of the cards to signify people who are holdovers from the previous day and therefore need to get on that day so that the contestant pool doesn't back up) face down, shuffle them, and then draw two off the top, who become the next contestants. I watched it in action just 2.5 months ago when Robert, the Contestant Coordinator in charge of verifying contestant data, pulled my name.

poo poo would be illegal collusion if they did anything else and Sullivan Compliance would be all over them for it.

weakness posted:

First off, I've gone from disliking Julia during her first few games to thinking she's one of my favorite players ever (and she makes my pants feel funny). Second - she broke 10K at the first commercial break?! That's utterly insane. I got the feeling she purposely took her foot off the peddle down the stretch to let her competition get out of the red. Either way, I loved Arthur and I hope and expect Julia to mop the floor with him at this point. Her knowledge base seems miles deeper.

edit: GhostStalker, I'm super excited for your appearance but drat I wish you hadn't let the cat out of the bag on this one.
My bad, I was just excited about learning who the head Contestant Coordinator lady was talking about and seeing her in action. Seriously shutting down people like crazy in her games. I believe I've only told one person here how many games she'll win, and that person wasn't you, so I guess there's still some suspense in seeing her final grand total?

zakharov posted:

Good luck!

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 29, 2014

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

weakness posted:

I'll be praying for you to get the categories "YANKEE BASEBALL POTPOURRI" and "JETS FIRST ROUND DRAFT SELECTIONS".

If that second one popped up I'd just start weeping.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you haven't had a chance to listen to the Nerdist episode that Chris Hardwick did with Alex Trebek, you really need to do yourself a favor and listen to it.

"I tell people I was born in a suit."

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 29, 2014

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
Julia's anecdotes are so boring but I love watching her clean up.

crikster
Jul 13, 2012

start today
Julia is getting too big for her britches. She makes too many smug faces into the camera and she looks like she swallowed a canary.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

crikster posted:

Julia is getting too big for her britches. She makes too many smug faces into the camera and she looks like she swallowed a canary.

I don't need to see much more of her until she mops the floor with Arthur at the tournament

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

crikster posted:

She's now tied for the second longest win streak of all time. She should be.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

so did she lose her job because of Jeopardy?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

They should start introducing her as "an aspiring supply chain professional" after that episode.

Buckhead
Aug 12, 2005

___ days until the 2010 trade deadline :(

sportsgenius86 posted:

According to her LinkedIn she was a Senior Consultant at Capgemini up until July '13 (I hope that's not too creepy I just Googled her name). Does it really take that long for tapings to air?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

wa27 posted:

They should start introducing her as "an aspiring supply chain professional" after that episode.

Wasn't the #2 contestant yesterday ALSO in logistics?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

"Lose"? If I won in excess of hundreds of thousands of dollars and was semi-famous at the moment I'd take a big stretch of time off work too.

crikster
Jul 13, 2012

start today
I for one am tired of the ugly plastic necklaces Julia wears.

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

zakharov posted:

I have :siren: my audition on Friday!!! :siren:
I, for one, would like to hear each and every dirty detail about how this audition went.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!
Seconded. But don't get yourself in trouble.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

The auditions aren't special or interesting. You take another test and everyone plays with the buzzers. The only thing interesting/different when I went was that clue crew Kelly was there and she talked to us and answered questions during some downtime.

One lady from my group made it on, I remembered her story. She didn't win.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

I will post the rundown when not stick posting from my phone. A few notable things happened.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Notable things about my audition:

-the equipment malfunctioned and they couldn't project the test questions, so we had Glenn the producer read them to us. I was worried that I'd lose my advantage of being a really fast reader, but I was pretty drat sure about 40-45 of them. I can't reveal what the questions were, but there was one where I could trace my right answer to tooling around on Wikipedia. Overall I thought the test was easier than the online one. Crow Jane was at the audition with me - maybe she'll show up to offer perspective.

-I was in the last group to be called to play, but they told us not to read into that. I did well - they didn't have to tell me to speak up or anything. One of our fellow contestants was the official historian for the US Army, so they was pretty cool. I got asked about the same story as last time, about when I got lost on a family vacation.

Now I just have to wait around for 18 months...

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

zakharov posted:

Notable things about my audition:

-the equipment malfunctioned and they couldn't project the test questions, so we had Glenn the producer read them to us. I was worried that I'd lose my advantage of being a really fast reader, but I was pretty drat sure about 40-45 of them. I can't reveal what the questions were, but there was one where I could trace my right answer to tooling around on Wikipedia. Overall I thought the test was easier than the online one. Crow Jane was at the audition with me - maybe she'll show up to offer perspective.

-I was in the last group to be called to play, but they told us not to read into that. I did well - they didn't have to tell me to speak up or anything. One of our fellow contestants was the official historian for the US Army, so they was pretty cool. I got asked about the same story as last time, about when I got lost on a family vacation.

Now I just have to wait around for 18 months...

Seriously, good luck. Hope to see you posting here in a number of months saying that you got the call as well.

Also, they tape 5 episodes of Jeopardy a day on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Since Julia started her win streak on a Monday and has won a total of 20 games through 4 weeks, they needed 4 days of taping to get all those episodes in the can. So she's only missed 2 days each through 2 weeks, or 3 weeks at most if her first taping was on Wednesday instead of Tuesday.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Double post, but Julia lost on schedule. Head contestant coordinator said 20 game champion, and that was 20 games. Knew it was coming, but was still an awesome ride. Over $420k, what a haul. Not bad for 4 days work.

She'll be back for the Tournament of Champions, whenever that airs. Can't wait to see how well she stacks up against Chu.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 3, 2014

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

I literally cannot wait for Julia vs Arthur. What a contrast of styles. I know they can't rig the games but maybe they can rig the tournament draw...

What a run. What a great season for superchamps.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Sad to see Julia lose, though I'm glad that it didn't come down to one question. When I saw the FJ category, I thought she would surely get it right (or at least if she missed it, the other guy would too). I was worried she was going to lose because of that bad double jeopardy answer that she probably should have guessed correctly.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
I'm glad to see her finally lose. I guess after the commercial-friendly streak they gave her, they felt no need to carry her further. Good riddance to smug rubbish.

I was getting seriously chafed by her every quirk and habit.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

LeJackal posted:

I'm glad to see her finally lose. I guess after the commercial-friendly streak they gave her, they felt no need to carry her further. Good riddance to smug rubbish.

I was getting seriously chafed by her every quirk and habit.

zakharov posted:

Please go read something, anything, about the quiz show scandals and all the precautions game shows take to avoid anything resembling funny business.

You don't have to like her, but try and have some idea of what you're talking about.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
I have no loving idea how someone could see her as smug. That's laughable. I'm sad to see her lose.

Also, you're a total idiot if you think Jeopardy is in any way fixed.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Dr Zaius posted:

I have no loving idea how someone could see her as smug. That's laughable. I'm sad to see her lose.

Also, you're a total idiot if you think Jeopardy is in any way fixed.

Man, is that a Jason Blake avatar?? I am blanking on the mulatto.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit

mennoknight posted:

Man, is that a Jason Blake avatar?? I am blanking on the mulatto.

It's so old I don't even remember. I think he was Leafs prospect Anthony Stewart?

Edit: nope, maybe Robbie Earl. I don't actually know anymore. He had bad acne scarring, I remember that!

Dr Zaius fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 3, 2014

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

GhostStalker posted:

Double post, but Julia lost on schedule. Head contestant coordinator said 20 game champion, and that was 20 games. Knew it was coming, but was still an awesome ride. Over $420k, what a haul. Not bad for 4 days work.

She'll be back for the Tournament of Champions, whenever that airs. Can't wait to see how well she stacks up against Chu.

She seems way better on the buzzer than him.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

GhostStalker posted:

Seriously, good luck. Hope to see you posting here in a number of months saying that you got the call as well.

Also, they tape 5 episodes of Jeopardy a day on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Since Julia started her win streak on a Monday and has won a total of 20 games through 4 weeks, they needed 4 days of taping to get all those episodes in the can. So she's only missed 2 days each through 2 weeks, or 3 weeks at most if her first taping was on Wednesday instead of Tuesday.

Considering she lost on game 1 of the week, which was her 21st game, I bet she did start on Wednesday. Chu said he got worn down in the same way, that playing 10 games in only 2 days is exhausting.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Pro (Canadian) football player on today!

Edit: well that was a disappointing performance. And I can't believe he missed a college nickname FJ question.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 3, 2014

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

His charming brogue is making me miss Julia less.

:laffo: at Geek Girl club being the most interesting fact about your life.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

They gave the "business strategist" an entire category about marketing THE FIX IS IN oh wait he didn't win.

If get on the show and see an entire category about a single Shakespeare play, I'm just going to start sobbing.

Visiting the Statue earlier today maaaaaay have helped me get Final.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Double-posting/bumping to bitch about that impossible FJ.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

zakharov posted:

Double-posting/bumping to bitch about that impossible FJ.
I was pretty close, I guessed driver's license.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I thought it was pretty damned easy, but then I'm an airplane nerd and I know who Curtiss was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Michael Pineda just couldn't stay healthy...

Colonial Air Force posted:

I thought it was pretty damned easy, but then I'm an airplane nerd and I know who Curtiss was.

Yeah, I'm a WW2 nerd, so I knew Curtiss made airplanes and it was a pretty easy extrapolation from there.