Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle
If Xylo or any of you other MS guys haven't already heard about this, there's interesting bug that happens when you copy n' paste stuff from WP7 Silverlight app to WP81 universal app.

Write some text in any textfield in 7.x Silverlight app, in this case I used old IMDB app. Select and copy it.

Hop over to new 8.1 universal app, here it's new Calendar app (moonspeak edition), paste selection and watch how random crap gets appended to text.

I can reproduce it with just about any WP7.x/WP81 universal app combo, first ran into when using Drastic Action's forum reader and 7Pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Thanks! On that note, is Nokia not going to continue doing the wireless charging thing? I really like having it in my 920 and I'd hate to lose it on my next upgrade.

Edit: Oh, foolish me. I guess they all still have wireless charging, but only the 920 can do it without a case. That's a shame.

Crumps Brother fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 30, 2014

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp
I kind of wish the Lumia 925 didn't require a case to wirelessly charge

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Gourd of Taste posted:

I kind of wish the Lumia 925 didn't require a case to wirelessly charge

Yep, and I have a feeling the 920/925/1020 are the last batch of phones on AT&T to use QI charging. This means my next upgrade for everyone in my family is going to be tricky since my house has roughly 6 QI chargers including my car mount. If you want wireless charging on the 925/1020, sans the shells which give almost no protection, consider doing this with whatever case you choose:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baSlO-_bqpk

The 930 has built-in QI charging, but you know AT&T will strip it out, plus it loses glance. :mad: On a side note, I had two 920's break and the MS store where I had insurance offered either 1020s or 1520s as replacements since they didn't carry 920s anymore.

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 30, 2014

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

File Manager is out for 8.1 devices:

http://blogs.windows.com/windows_phone/b/windowsphone/archive/2014/05/30/introducing-files-a-file-management-app-for-windows-phone-8-1.aspx

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
WhatsApp is back up. Gives me a message when I install it on WP 8.1 that it's not compatible with my OS, but seems to work fine.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/whatsapp/218a0ebb-1585-4c7e-a9ec-054cf4569a79

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Stubb Dogg posted:

If Xylo or any of you other MS guys haven't already heard about this, there's interesting bug that happens when you copy n' paste stuff from WP7 Silverlight app to WP81 universal app.

Write some text in any textfield in 7.x Silverlight app, in this case I used old IMDB app. Select and copy it.

Hop over to new 8.1 universal app, here it's new Calendar app (moonspeak edition), paste selection and watch how random crap gets appended to text.

I can reproduce it with just about any WP7.x/WP81 universal app combo, first ran into when using Drastic Action's forum reader and 7Pass.

Speaking of bugs, I think I've figured out the source of my (what I think are) wake lock issues. It's from my PSN FoulPlay app. Sometimes when I run it, it'll cause Windows Phone 8.1 to freak out. Again, the power button won't turn the phone on or off, parts of the UI won't render, it basically breaks everything. The thing is, I have no idea what's causing my app to do it. I mean, everything on my side seems okay. I can't debug it when it happens. There are no memory leaks and no CPU spikes. My other apps don't have this issue, it's only FoulPlay from what I can tell.

I've now pulled it from the Windows Phone store. The Windows 8 version is totally fine. This is driving me insane :(.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
I'm having a storage problem on my Lumia 520. There was an update to Asphalt 8. I downloaded the update but didn't have enough free space. So I can canceled the download and uninstalled the game leaving me with about 2gb of free space. I go to re-download the game and it says I don't have enough free space available. I uninstall some other apps and delete temp files. I currently have about 3.5gb of space and the game is 950mb.
Is there something wrong with my phone?

Edit: nevermind. Guess it needed some more space. Deleted a few other things and got it to install.

iLikeMidgets fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 1, 2014

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Something happened to my fiance's old phone and she needs a new phone pronto before a summer field school. She likes her Venue 8 enough, so wants to try out a Windows phone. Budget is like ~$200-$250. Unfortunately I can't wait for a new phone to come out in a month, as it sounds like this is the tail end of a line refresh, but someone recommended a Lumia 820. I know nothing about Windows phones so I am curious if that is a decent recommendation or should I go looking for another one?

edit - forgot to mention it is for StraightTalk (AT&T / GSM)

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Lumia 520. Great phone for the Price if you need it "now".

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Lumia 520/521 is decent, but it feels a bit slow loading apps and webpages and has a terrible camera. It wouldn't hurt to grab one at a Best Buy or Walmart, where you should have at least a 14 day return window, and keep an eye open for deals for a Lumia 925 online for $200 during that time.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

You might not have seen it because I edited my post in that thread 4 hours afterwards, but the 520 and 620 are also options on AT&T. I recommended the 820 because it is a bit nicer (better back camera, front camera, double the RAM, option for wireless charging) than the 520 and your budget can afford it, although I suppose at that point you could do what RVProfootballer said and scour for a deal on the 920/925.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

You might not have seen it because I edited my post in that thread 4 hours afterwards, but the 520 and 620 are also options on AT&T. I recommended the 820 because it is a bit nicer (better back camera, front camera, double the RAM, option for wireless charging) than the 520 and your budget can afford it, although I suppose at that point you could do what RVProfootballer said and scour for a deal on the 920/925.

Honestly I think the 820 is probably the best buy at the moment, unless you really are looking for the higher definition screen. The 820 has a removable battery and has support for a SD card, which means 64 gigs of extra space. Also, it has an AMOLED screen which I hear makes glance use a negligible battery usage. You can also pick them up for around $100.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I saw your recommendation, and I realized I should probably re-ask the question in the actual thread now that she decided on a Windows phone. I didn't mean to make it sound too much like I was asking for second advice!

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
820 also has a front camera for Skype and other stuff, whereas the 520 does not. I think they're just hard to come by since the 520 dominates the low end.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
Sorry bad news WP enthusiasts.

Oh FYI Windows Phone/Windows 8 development has taken a huge hit this month. Pubcenter was the main ad platform used by windows phone developers (created and sponsored by Microsoft). At one point it paid really well (MS was buying almost all the ads), then for years it paid ok (MS was buying a lot of ads, and encouraging others to buy ads) and had fill rates in the 90-75% range (which is normal) then in the last 2 months pub center fill rates have fallen to 10% and the pay rates have dropped to 0. People who were making $1000s per day are now making less than $1. It's a true apocalypse for Windows 8/Windows Phone development.

The hilarious part is NO ONE even cares even to report it.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 2, 2014

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Stick100 posted:

Sorry bad news WP enthusiasts.

Oh FYI Windows Phone/Windows 8 development has taken a huge hit this month. Pubcenter was the main ad platform used by windows phone developers (created and sponsored by Microsoft). At one point it paid really well (MS was buying almost all the ads), then for years it paid ok (MS was buying a lot of ads, and encouraging others to buy ads) and had fill rates in the 90-75% range (which is normal) then in the last 2 months pub center fill rates have fallen to 10% and the pay rates have dropped to 0. People who were making $1000s per day are now making less than $1. It's a true apocalypse for Windows 8/Windows Phone development.

I saw people complaining about that around this time last year, (which corresponds with the start of the down line), sad that it hasn't gotten any better.

What happens in these scenarios, do ads just simply not appear in the box or whatever?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
No big deal. Developers will just start making high quality paid apps that WP users will be happy to buy. Except people in emerging markets where WP actually has any traction are among the least likely to buy apps or even be able to. This article has some interesting stats about credit card use in such markets, just ignore the author trying to spin it as a reason WP could outcompete Android there.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Maneki Neko posted:

I saw people complaining about that around this time last year, (which corresponds with the start of the down line), sad that it hasn't gotten any better.

What happens in these scenarios, do ads just simply not appear in the box or whatever?

Correct in most cases you'll see a blank spot. In some cases they capture the lack of fill and put in a different type of ad or they will put in some hard coded ad.

MS made Pubcenter specifically to help make it easier to get ads into WP and W8. But MS isn't an advertising company so they no longer care.

As it happens just a while ago we got Admob (google) ads working in WP, but the big problem with Admob is that the best paying ads are links to Google Play based and games and apps (which is not useful for the WP platform).

In effect there never was any real revenue in W8/WP ads but MS was propping it up and encouraging others (Nokia/Acer) but it's all been pulled out so there's no ad supported WP/W8 apps anymore.

Unfortunate that was the best source of WP revenue, so there is now no incentive to do a bit of WP dev unless you're using Mono dev or something where you get WP for free.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Nokia simply can't launch a device it appears. During the keynote that also presented the 930, a launch in June was announced, but now Nokia UK says on their Twitter that it's July now. Jesus Christ, it's like they're actively sabotaging themselves.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Wouldn't it be easy for Microsoft to swing the Ad system over to Bing sine they are a Search/Ad part of the company? Being a Microsoft thing alone doesn't make sense of course.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Nyah, Microsoft ditched XNA for no good reason, now Apple's introducing something similar with iOS 8. I wonder how long it'll take for Microsoft to backpedal now.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
In the update released today, WP8.1 no longer requires Cortana/Location to be on in order to enable quiet hours, thank god.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Fuckers cancelled my order.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Combat Pretzel posted:

Nyah, Microsoft ditched XNA for no good reason, now Apple's introducing something similar with iOS 8. I wonder how long it'll take for Microsoft to backpedal now.

...not to mention all the integration features between phone/tablet/desktop that you would have thought MS would have been first in on.

I don't think Metal is analogous to XNA though, it's basically DX12 for only the iOS. I can see MS bringing DX12 to wphone or RT which will eventually be wphone eventually, but at this point this basically cements iOS as the gaming mobile OS of choice for the time being.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Stick100 posted:

Not even Thurrott?! He's a journalist, you'd think he'd be right on this!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Uh, I have no idea what you are reading that makes Metal out to be similar to XNA. Besides, the logic for why Microsoft ditched XNA is not hard to see; they made some nice strides unifying the API they offered to developers across the platforms, offering (nearly) full DirectX on WP, so the rather limited XNA was of lessening usefulness. For the developers that thrived on the simplicity of XNA it was increasingly obvious that Unity (and some other competitors) were a far more robust option, and for those that just wanted to prod at DX from .NET SharpDX is a fine solution.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

this basically cements iOS as the gaming mobile OS of choice for the time being.

As opposed to before, right? :v:

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

loquacius posted:

As opposed to before, right? :v:

True...hence the usage of the word "cements", albeit admittedly it was pretty much embedded in 10ft of re-barred concrete before this regardless. As developers (notably Carmack) have said, mobile graphic API's are in a horrendous state with regards to hidden & obvious performance penalties, so this combined with Apple's standardized hardware just makes it even more attractive. Maybe we'll see an A7 Apple TV with gamepad support...but that's for the iOS thread.

Back to Wphone 8.1: Internet Sharing - am I missing something obvious, or does 8.1 not automatically disengage it after no devices connect to it for a while? In 8.0 it would automatically disable after a set period if nothing connected, but with 8.1 I can't find the option - I've had my battery drained after 8 hours several times now because I forgot to shut off internet sharing after browsing on my iPad out in the world, precisely because I never had to do that with 8.0.

Jonah Hex
May 22, 2014

Jewmanji posted:

In the update released today, WP8.1 no longer requires Cortana/Location to be on in order to enable quiet hours, thank god.

I guess there were enough people like me who don't want to give Microsoft tons of data about our personal habits and locations just to mute the phone after midnight.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Jonah Hex posted:

I guess there were enough people like me who don't want to give Microsoft tons of data about our personal habits and locations just to mute the phone after midnight.

Is it naive of me to think MS probably isn't using Cortana's data to datamine? I mean, if it was Google, yeah, because that's how they make money, but MS's business model isn't based around targeted ads.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
My 1020 was dropped and the top part of the screen has a crack now. Since this is my second cracked 1020 I think it's time to finally invest in a case (something I could never even fathom doing with my 900). Anyone have any recommendations, I'd like something as minimalist as possible that may prevent it from getting another busted screen if dropped from 3 feet in the air.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

I don't think Metal is analogous to XNA though, it's basically DX12 for only the iOS. I can see MS bringing DX12 to wphone or RT which will eventually be wphone eventually, but at this point this basically cements iOS as the gaming mobile OS of choice for the time being.
I was talking about SpriteKit.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

For the developers that thrived on the simplicity of XNA it was increasingly obvious that Unity (and some other competitors) were a far more robust option, and for those that just wanted to prod at DX from .NET SharpDX is a fine solution.
Maybe I have the wrong idea about Unity, but it sounds like a rather heavy handed approach for simpler games, where DirectX is too complicated. (I'm the opinion that you shouldn't always throw a kitchen sink at a problem, just because you have plenty of memory and CPU.)

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 3, 2014

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Combat Pretzel posted:

I was talking about SpriteKit.

Well, at least there is Monogame now, which takes XNA and puts it on more platforms. Maybe Microsoft could throw their weight behind it, seeing all they are doing with Xamarin/Mono now.
I mean, I know they would be getting behind a platform they themselves threw out, but... eh, I don't know. :shrug:

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

drat solitaire collection drained my battery 40% in an hour. Watch out for that one.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Yeah, it is a very neat solitaire implementation, but it entirely consistently murders your battery, so I have had to give it up.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That game locks up half the time on my 625. I mean the 625 isn't an amazing phone or anything but c'mon..

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Jonah Hex posted:

Uhh I think it's just because everyone outside of America with their phone set to a different region couldn't access Cortana and therefore couldn't access Quiet Hours.

But you're probably right since MS seems completely unaware of anything going on outside of the US.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

Shrimpy posted:

My 1020 was dropped and the top part of the screen has a crack now. Since this is my second cracked 1020 I think it's time to finally invest in a case (something I could never even fathom doing with my 900). Anyone have any recommendations, I'd like something as minimalist as possible that may prevent it from getting another busted screen if dropped from 3 feet in the air.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GYJX760?psc=1

My wife has it in pink/white and loves it. I was impressed with it enough to get one for my 920.

If you have prime, search nokia 1020 case, select PRIME ONLY, and the same case is there for $9.95 with the Prime shipping bennies as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
I think pivot's are slightly broken in the new build. If you use the horizontal view in a WinRT app, switch back to portrait and then go back, you will get this.