Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

But I want to kill the drakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

KoRMaK posted:

Yea the blacksmith before the darkroot garden has like two or three large embers. I can go divine, raw, and two others. I think that's one of them. So I should go the standard route then, +6?

Should I upgrade a different weapon or how should I move forward on the Garg Halberd.
Andre gets Large Ember (up to +10), Very large Ember (+15), Divine, Large Divine, and Dark Ember. Yes, go the standard route. What other weapons do you have in your slots?
also if you want to kill the drakes try to go around their sides and stuff, along with having good lightning resist.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

KoRMaK posted:

Yea the blacksmith before the darkroot garden has like two or three large embers. I can go divine, raw, and two others. I think that's one of them. So I should go the standard route then, +6?

Should I upgrade a different weapon or how should I move forward on the Garg Halberd.

Garg halberd is a perfectly serviceable weapon, and I prefer its moveset over the standard halberd.
I'd recommend taking it to +10 normal, unless you really want to make a fire weapon which branches at +5.
Divine isn't really good for a main weapon, although you might want one as a backup in one area.

At +10, you have the option of taking it down the lightning path as well, which is a solid option when you find the appropriate blacksmith. The scaling isn't great on it so lightning isn't a bad choice.

For most weapons, at higher levels, its preferable to have them just be +15 normal, to take advantage of scaling and weapon buffs, but a lightning gargoyle halberd will certainly take you through the game.
Its move set isn't great for pvp, but its a pretty good pve weapon and great for tail cutting.

Late/late game or ng+, you might want a weapon with better stat scaling to take to +15, and that'll depend on whether you prefer str or dex type weapons.

Regarding drakes specifically its not usually worth the effort to kill them unless you hate yourself and are farming dragon scales, but if you want them dead, by all means go ahead :)

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Bogart posted:

Wait, you can keep the bloated undead from toxxing you if you use fire? But they shoot fire. You don't hit something with what it hits you with. :(

It's actually magic disguised as fire.

No really. Block it with the dragon shield and the crest shield, see which blocks the most damage.

Those dumb snakemen do the same thing. That lightning? Totally magic.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Tuxedo Ted posted:

This is true of nearly every elemental looking enemy spell/attack in the game, which is pretty funny.
Including Queelag's and the all the Firesage clone demons' aoe attacks.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

animatorZed posted:

This is true of nearly every elemental looking enemy spell/attack in the game, which is pretty funny.
Including Queelag's and the all the Firesage clone demons' aoe attacks.

So the abominations' fire attack is magic as well?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I decided to take on Quelaag solo (I usually summon, because it's a fun boss to co-op on) for the first time, and realized how easy she is if you can bait her into attacking with her sword, and then move quickly into her blind spot. The trick is to make sure she never spews lava, or at least does it very infrequently. And then recognizing her AOE telegraph and booking it.

I then decided that I wanted to leave the infected hollow near the Daughter of Chaos alive, but accidentally killed him when I chose the wrong dialog prompt... sorry fella.

I then decided to take a few attempts at Sen's before calling it a night, and basically waltzed through the whole thing without any problem. That's definitely the best I've felt in this new run so far.

I also never realized that Sen's was transparently built by Gwyn as a testing ground before. There are black knight statues littered all over the place, and the snake shamans throw his lightning spears at you. Plus the chained giants (sort of like Gough) are another Gwyn trademark. That was a cool touch that I picked up on this time through.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

neetengie posted:

Andre gets Large Ember (up to +10), Very large Ember (+15), Divine, Large Divine, and Dark Ember. Yes, go the standard route. What other weapons do you have in your slots?
also if you want to kill the drakes try to go around their sides and stuff, along with having good lightning resist.

I have the drake sword and great axe but nothing much that comes close to breaching 100dmg, it's all longswords and halberds and stuff.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

KoRMaK posted:

I have the drake sword and great axe but nothing much that comes close to breaching 100dmg, it's all longswords and halberds and stuff.
Yeah ride that Garg Halberd to +10, then like someone else said Lightning reinforcing it is fine.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Tuxedo Ted posted:

It's actually magic disguised as fire.

No really. Block it with the dragon shield and the crest shield, see which blocks the most damage.

So the only shield that matters is the one with the best Magic resistance? Nice.

Also, upgrading your weapon 'simply' (that is to say, +6, +7) will never do you wrong, whereas adding Divinity or Fire or Lightning to your weapon could screw you if you don't know what you're doing. I recall messing up my +10 Bastard Sword by making it Lightning because Solaire uses lightning, right? And he's super strong! So I should too! :downs:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You can't really go wrong with lightning or fire on a large sword like that. They're better if you're only investing just enough to use them though since they lack the scaling of other upgrade paths. Now, divine and magic can screw you if you aren't specced properly but that should be obvious.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Bogart posted:

So the only shield that matters is the one with the best Magic resistance? Nice.
Nah, there are still plenty of fire attacks. Magic just tends to be a lot more frequent.

Action Tortoise posted:

So the abominations' fire attack is magic as well?
Ceaseless Discharge? I'm fairly certain his stuff is all fire. Granted, that thing's going to blast through your shield regardless.
While a lot of enemy projectiles are misleading in what actual damage they deal, that doesn't apply to all of them.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Nahxela posted:

Ceaseless Discharge? I'm fairly certain his stuff is all fire. Granted, that thing's going to blast through your shield regardless.
While a lot of enemy projectiles are misleading in what actual damage they deal, that doesn't apply to all of them.

Oh no I meant those manbugs in Blighttown. I thought they were called abominations.

I forgot to try it this time but if you use the Orange Charred Ring does it reduce the lava damage from Quelaag's attacks?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Action Tortoise posted:

Oh no I meant those manbugs in Blighttown. I thought they were called abominations.

I forgot to try it this time but if you use the Orange Charred Ring does it reduce the lava damage from Quelaag's attacks?

You can't have the Orange Charred Ring before Quelaag without cheating, since it removes it from your inventory on NG+, so it probably isn't coded to do anything :v:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

All I can think about is gathering souls and donking hallows on the head from a distance.

I beat the Stray Demon or whatever it is when you go back to the Undead Asylum naked. I learned a lot from that one fight. The main one being that armor isn't necessary if you learn the right way to keep moving and when to keep moving. I now don't even use lock-on for big bosses and instead I like bend my hand (this is on a 360 controller) so that my pointer finger is on the running button and my thumb can stay on the camera joystick and I run around to their blind spots. Locking on prevents this kind of mobility and makes you roll when you actually meant to sprint left.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm really hoping this gets popular on the next Steam sale. Most co-op attempts end in failure (either summoning or being summoned). It'd be nice if connectivity gets better when they ditch GFWL as well.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

I'm really hoping this gets popular on the next Steam sale. Most co-op attempts end in failure (either summoning or being summoned). It'd be nice if connectivity gets better when they ditch GFWL as well.
I've not once had a co-op experience. I have the white soapstone, and when I am un-hallowed I see red and white ones laying around but no one has ever invaded (except for kirk). Am I missing out on something?

e: Just read the wikia articles. I think I'm going to start leaving white soapstones. If I die, do I lose my ability to be summoned by others? As in, I only get as many co-op lives as I have humanity to burn?

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 3, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

KoRMaK posted:

I've not once had a co-op experience. I have the white soapstone, and when I am un-hallowed I see red and white ones laying around but no one has ever invaded (except for kirk). Am I missing out on something?

e: Just read the wikia articles. I think I'm going to start leaving white soapstones. If I die, do I lose my ability to be summoned by others? As in, I only get as many co-op lives as I have humanity to burn?

You can be summoned if you're hollow or you died as a phantom.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

You can be summoned if you're hollow or you died as a phantom.
Fuckin' sweet. Why haven't I been putting down white soapstone then? Is there anything to lose? I guess the same goes for invading. If I invade with like only 100 souls what am I risking?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Action Tortoise posted:

because I'm a lazy piece of poo poo I have a mule file on my ps3, and I think it does reduce her lava damage. I'll check for sure when I get home.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

KoRMaK posted:

Fuckin' sweet. Why haven't I been putting down white soapstone then? Is there anything to lose? I guess the same goes for invading. If I invade with like only 100 souls what am I risking?

You're not risking anything even if you invade with a million souls, unless you do it from a weird place and manage to die walking back to the bloodstain. It's very easy and safe to just invade over and over again as long as you have targets.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

KoRMaK posted:

If your white soapstone is down, then you can't see other people's white soapstone marks yourself. You can either be able to summon people (if your mark's not down) or be able to be summoned yourself (if your mark is down), but not both at the same time.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Flumpus posted:

Man, I read this at first and thought you meant first time ever seeing them, which I'm sure someone has done, but it would make me really sad and feel very inferior to actually encounter that person (queue someone in this thread being one of those people).

Does second try count? Mind you, I kinda cheesed with a zwiehander so I dunno.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Vil posted:

If your white soapstone is down, then you can't see other people's white soapstone marks yourself. You can either be able to summon people (if your mark's not down) or be able to be summoned yourself (if your mark is down), but not both at the same time.
How do I clear all the white soapstone I've put down then? Does it just happen on game load or after a certain amount of time or am I expected to go around and find every last summon spot I put down?

So, invading someone else's game doesn't cost any humanity? I feel like I've only seen white/red soapstone when I was unhallowed. If I do that and die, then I've lost the humanity right? If I do die, how do I recover my souls, can I do it by myself or do I have to go back to that players game?

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

Does second try count? Mind you, I kinda cheesed with a zwiehander so I dunno.

Heh, sure, I'll feel inferior to anyone that beat it on their second try too, but only because it took me a ridiculous number of tries the first time.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
You can only have one sign down at any given time. If you want to remove your white sign, put down a fresh one and the last one vanishes. Then cancel the new one.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

KoRMaK posted:

So, invading someone else's game doesn't cost any humanity? I feel like I've only seen white/red soapstone when I was unhallowed. If I do that and die, then I've lost the humanity right? If I do die, how do I recover my souls, can I do it by myself or do I have to go back to that players game?

Dying as a phantom, whether white or red, doesn't make you hollow. You respawn in your world at the last bonfire you rested at, and your bloodstain appears where you used the multiplayer item, but you remain human.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was under the mistaken impression that you had to be human to provide Co-Op until the last 3rd of my previous playthrough. It wasn't until I was watching an LP that I realized you could provide assistance while hollowed.

I think that the systems are all super well designed, but I wish Co-Op was a little better. Like, being able to leave my sign anywhere and not have it disappear when I left that boundary would make it much better. I hate having to stand around in an area waiting to be summoned without being able to do other stuff at the same time.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Suitaru posted:

Dying as a phantom, whether white or red, doesn't make you hollow. You respawn in your world at the last bonfire you rested at, and your bloodstain appears where you used the multiplayer item, but you remain human.

If you die as a white phantom, you don't even leave your stuff in a bloodstain.

KoRMaK posted:

How do I clear all the white soapstone I've put down then? Does it just happen on game load or after a certain amount of time or am I expected to go around and find every last summon spot I put down?

As already noted, putting it down in place B removes it from place A, and then you can click it in place B to remove it from there too.

On top of that, it's automatically removed if you leave the area where you placed the sign. For example, if you place your sign in the Undead Parish, then if you leave the Parish (e.g. take the elevator down to Firelink, head over toward Andre's church) then the sign automatically disappears and you get a message telling you about that. I remember using a mod a while back which removed that restriction and didn't tie you to the area (so long as you didn't go through a loading screen), but it stopped working after some update or other.

Finally, it's automatically removed if you die in your own world. Or, of course, if you get successfully summoned. :v:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
You totally can though. Just put it down near a bonfire and run around until you get summoned or if you move on, put it down in the new area.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

You totally can though. Just put it down near a bonfire and run around until you get summoned or if you move on, put it down in the new area.
Totally can what?

So how do we as goons get hooked up via co-op? This is all I'm going to be doing the next couple days I think.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Vil posted:

On top of that, it's automatically removed if you leave the area where you placed the sign. For example, if you place your sign in the Undead Parish, then if you leave the Parish (e.g. take the elevator down to Firelink, head over toward Andre's church) then the sign automatically disappears and you get a message telling you about that. I remember using a mod a while back which removed that restriction and didn't tie you to the area (so long as you didn't go through a loading screen), but it stopped working after some update or other.

Oops.

I swear, i'll update the tool when they finally patch the game to get rid of GfWL.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Vil posted:

If you die as a white phantom, you don't even leave your stuff in a bloodstain.

Even after over a year of obsessive play I still learn new poo poo about Dark Souls. Shows you how much I invaded and how little I did co-op :v:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dying in coop as a phantom has never lost you anything in any of the three games, it is completely safe. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by being summoned as a white phantom/sunbro.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Is there anyway we can coordinate entering each others games? Ill be on in the next hour or so.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Use the DSC fix and add people to your GWFL friends list.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I'm loving Dark Souls so far, but I seem to drop to really slow framerates sometimes, typically outside or when I kindle a bonfire. I'm using DSFix to run at 1920x1080, but AA and AO are both off.

I'm guessing that Dark Souls is more CPU intensive, but I'm running an i5 4970 that should be able to handle it. GPU is GTX 760. Does anyone have any tricks to get there framerate consistently at the 30fps cap?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

Use the DSC fix and add people to your GWFL friends list.
I should do this and the DSFix to get rid of my loving cursor.

GFWL name is KoRMaK1

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

Caddrel posted:

I'm loving Dark Souls so far, but I seem to drop to really slow framerates sometimes, typically outside or when I kindle a bonfire. I'm using DSFix to run at 1920x1080, but AA and AO are both off.

I'm guessing that Dark Souls is more CPU intensive, but I'm running an i5 4970 that should be able to handle it. GPU is GTX 760. Does anyone have any tricks to get there framerate consistently at the 30fps cap?

If you have not already, unlock the fps in dsfix but cap it at 30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

First time player here. I'm in the depths, which sure looks like it's this game's sewer level. I came across a giant rat, presumably the end boss of the level, but I fell down a hole and now I'm in a deep area with poison frogs. How big is this area drag, because I'm getting seriously sick of these tunnels? Also, are there more than 2 exits (as in, the entrance you enter, and the (assumed) exit)?

• Locked thread