Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

quote:

Fixed an error when it was impossible to fix a damaged weapon even though firing from this weapon would lead to shell explosion inside the barrel.

Thank god, this was pretty drat annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
My joystick came today, is there a setup guide somewhere for this fucker or should I just hop in Mumble sometime to get some help?

Edit: Trip report: took out a Peashooter in a simulation test flight using the ingame T16000M profile. Took off without crashing on the first attempt, did some laps around the airfield, tried to land, too fast, aborted, tried again, landed without crashing.

This sim poo poo should be fun.

Target Practice fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 4, 2014

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

MrLonghair posted:

(Will be cleaned up and arranged over time, keyword PlayStation 4)

PS4 Version Information:
- Been on PAL PSN networks since November 29th 2013, began as version 1.36.36.2, eventually received a 1.37 patch that ruined the framerate and on June3/5 US/EU respectively it was brought up to 1.41 and cross-platform play.
- Framerates were improved with 1.41 making flying much better than what 1.37 did to it, riding tanks is often absolutely atrocious (Ash River) but the framerate does not impact input!
- If you can play an actual computer version of War Thunder and framerates matter to you, do that. If you want to sit on the couch with a joypad, you can connect your DualShock 4 wirelessly to PC. If you only have a PS4 well I guess, go on.
- As of June 3, login for PSN players is still disabled on non-PS4 versions of the game.

Control methods:
All control methods are now configurable freely, much like the PC Version, but it seems that the DualShock4 PS4-version exclusive "hold L2 to instructor-guide your plane towards the active target" assistance has been removed? Mouse and keyboard, with how they removed most of the framerate killers and input lag added by the PS4 1.37 patch, is now the best choice for the PS4 version. However it's not that bad to go DualShock 4 or even Vita Remoteplay if you don't care and only want to fly.

PS4 Squads?
None, you can join, talk, friend PC players and join squads!

Cleaned up my first page post on the PS4 version. If your PC is an absolute turd that struggles even at minimum settings but you have a PS4, great, go for it,
you'll be able to play with the PC goons :unsmith:

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Wait, cross-platform is in now?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Dezztroy posted:

Wait, cross-platform is in now?

Yep and it works just fine (NA PSN version of course), don't know what lovely russian weed Gaijin are smoking.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

MrLonghair posted:

Yep and it works just fine (NA PSN version of course), don't know what lovely russian weed Gaijin are smoking.

What's the best place to go console shithead hunting? I would assume AB.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Target Practice posted:

What's the best place to go console shithead hunting? I would assume AB.

AB T1 planes, only new accounts right now, old experienced accounts will be seen starting on the fifth sometime and PS4 users have an asterix in front of their name. They don't mind flying jets like a mutha on the PS4 so prepare to club them, and if the "hold L2 to automatically guide your plane towards the target" feature really was removed, prepare a video recorder.

e: T1 sealclubbing has a ton of *name players and easy kills, nice

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 4, 2014

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Panthers are pretty good, I guess, but it means you have to play with a bunch of guys in Tigers that instantly die then quit the match without even bothering to at least get in a fighter and kill enemy bombers or the rear end in a top hat artillery pieces on Kursk.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
The Tiger is pretty rad but people greatly overestimate it's armor and I'm pretty sure it's turret face is bugged. Just shoot the mantlet anywhere and even 85mm slices through it all the time. Shoot the gun and it's often a kill. I actually have more trouble penetrating the hull than the mantlet, unless I'm shooting that driver's slot.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The Tiger is pretty rad but people greatly overestimate it's armor

Knowing nothing about tanks has given me the advantage of underestimating ALL armor and play in a way where I try to avoid ever getting hit in the first place.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The Tiger is pretty rad but people greatly overestimate it's armor and I'm pretty sure it's turret face is bugged. Just shoot the mantlet anywhere and even 85mm slices through it all the time. Shoot the gun and it's often a kill. I actually have more trouble penetrating the hull than the mantlet, unless I'm shooting that driver's slot.

It's historical, the Tiger had a lovely mantlet. Later versions beefed it up a lot.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Thief posted:

Knowing nothing about tanks has given me the advantage of underestimating ALL armor and play in a way where I try to avoid ever getting hit in the first place.

Much like planes this remains the best strategy.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Thief posted:

Bolow posted:

Much like planes this remains the best strategy.

Get good at it and you might just become the best ground forces player here, Thief.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

Thief posted:

Some kind of general knowledge is useful, but literally all I've had to tell my friends who don't know poo poo about a tank is "See front? Shoot any of the bits, like a hatch/view slit/MG port, see side or rear? Shoot that instead." I think that will get you through any tank situation.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
The armor on tanks allows them to survive hits, it's not made with the intention of standing in the open and just 'tanking' hits like some MMORPG character. While there are instances of that happening, it's a bad idea (both in real life and ingame), even the best armor will not save you from getting your optics destroyed, your tracks thrown or your turret stuck (the first Tiger 'kill' in Afrika was disabled that way).

So yes, not getting hit is the best idea. While there is not as much important stuff on the WT tanks that can get destroyed as on real tanks, there is still more than enough that can break and ruin your day. Be happy if your armor saves your from that one suprise shot that you didn't expect but never rely on it as your first line of defense.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

The best and worst feelings:

1. Get an absolutely gorgeous shot on an Il-2 during an Ash River match while driving a Pz.IV G.
2. Game crashes upon leaving the match, replay is lost.

:negative:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Feindfeuer posted:

So yes, not getting hit is the best idea.

Yeah. But when a Pe-2 immobilizes your Panther in the open, it's pretty great to be able to just keep all the T-34-85s 1200 meters out, plinking about on your hull with no effect while you cripple or kill anyone who dares try to get closer.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Thief posted:

Best strat. Enemy shells are hot lava

NickBlasta posted:

It's historical, the Tiger had a lovely mantlet. Later versions beefed it up a lot.

The card in the game says the mantlet is the same thickness as the front of the hull. As someone that's torched a lot of Tigers, this seems to be a bald faced lie. Maybe it's that, and it's intentional, but I swear the area close to the gun itself is bugged. It feels like they will die every time if you hit them squarely around the main gun. It's almost like there's an armor deadzone behind the gun itself and a direct hit on the breach area will gently caress them. They're really vulnerable to gun damage, so there might be something to that.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Haha that ridge area on the west side of Karelia that you can access from the not-poo poo spawns is the best. You can see down into the entire western valley and you don't appear on the minimap, and there's lots of depressions allowing you to pop out, fire down, and fall back behind cover. A++ go there every time.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Karelia is the best map!

Rorac posted:

Get good at it and you might just become the best ground forces player here, Thief.

NickBlasta posted:

Some kind of general knowledge is useful, but literally all I've had to tell my friends who don't know poo poo about a tank is "See front? Shoot any of the bits, like a hatch/view slit/MG port, see side or rear? Shoot that instead." I think that will get you through any tank situation.

Can the average player consistently hit those areas from afar? It seems like the guns aren't laser accurate enough to bank on this. With planes it isn't so much of an issue because you're often firing like at least 4 different guns at the same time into a convergence zone so it's a lot easier to pepper a very specific area of your target.

If I'm close enough to be sure I can hit it, I generally just try to hit them from the side because looking down a barrel is sketchy business.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
If you can consistently hit specific areas on any plane except a heavy bomber flying in a straight line then you must be some sort of godlike savant. Even then I'm usually too busy trying not to get my engines blown out by defensive guns to do anything more specific than aim for a certain wing. Aiming for weak spots on a tank is WAY easier.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Thief posted:

Can the average player consistently hit those areas from afar? It seems like the guns aren't laser accurate enough to bank on this. With planes it isn't so much of an issue because you're often firing like at least 4 different guns at the same time into a convergence zone so it's a lot easier to pepper a very specific area of your target.

If I'm close enough to be sure I can hit it, I generally just try to hit them from the side because looking down a barrel is sketchy business.

Yes? Easily I imagine, their target isn't even usually moving. If you discount Kursk (I don't think most averages are playing SB? could be wrong) the greatest engagement range you're likely to see is maybe 200m, you barely have to compensate for drop.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Console seal-clubbing trip report: holy poo poo.

I have only seen one plane to plane kill from a guy with a * name tonight. And I'm not sure if there's also a bunch of other new people or what but me going 12:0 in a match is not normal. Like 3 standard deviations from the mean.

Ninja edit: Seriously, get your rear end in an I-16 and go nuts

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Thief posted:

Compared to World of Tanks, these guns are match grade sniper rifles of the highest caliber. Unless you're shooting at some serious distance, you can absolutely plunk down shells right where you want them without trying too hard. Once you have a feel for a given gun, you'll be able to make dicey snap shots and all kinds of poo poo that makes you feel boss as hell. Even idiots are hitting me in the gun all the time, but this may be them aiming at the center of their target.

At higher tiers ( 3+ ) shot placement becomes a lot more important, so you might as well start practicing. Panthers don't give a gently caress about 85mms from the front unless you hit them just so.

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

And now you read this in a seally Svedisch accent Jå?
So, is it just me that feels like planes have been rendered mostly irrelevant in the context of combined arms? Feels to me like the time I spend in my plane could always be better spent on the ground since that's where the battle is won or lost. I'm having the darnedest time making a difference while flying since even if I take a Stuka and drop 1 ton of happiness on the head of two enemy T-34s that are bullying our poor Panzer IIIs they'll just respawn and be back in the fight long before I can return to base and get a new bomb. And if I spawn as a fighter then my targets are suddenly reduced to enemy planes which are just as unable to make any real difference to the ground due to said respawns.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Planes can be game changers when a team is capping or defending a point. Otherwise, they're basically there to assist the tanks and are only as good as the tanks that are spotting for them when really it should be them spotting for the tanks instead of staring at a minimap blip. Unless they're some kind of cyber-ace, bombing and dive bombing player controlled things is pretty hard.

Once bombers realize they can bomb the mini-bases instead of tanks and really dent the enemy's ticket bar then we'll be seeing a lot more from them. But even then there's going to be assholes like me that only play combined arms to harass other airplanes.

It's basically two separate rounds being played at the same time, except the planes can switch their focus to the ground if the tanks are losing badly. The overlap is great but it will always be a balancing nightmare because for some reason in this game you don't see players doing the same kind of improvised teamwork that you'd see in something like Team Fortress 2 but the game is still built around it so when players actually do figure it out they completely steamroll the enemy team and people think its unfair. Having proper voice chat would really help and I don't know how a game developer can look at something like Arma2 and not want to copy how they handled communicating over the mic.

Thief fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jun 4, 2014

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
In a combined arms setting its probably for the best for air to be a secondary thing, as air right now can be fantastic support for ground forces. If air was super relevant in a mixed forces scenario everyone would just flock to planes then.

Its kinda a problem with any wargame that involves air/ground at the same time.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
How do you fight the Yaks and Laggs in the low tier 109s, the E-3 and F-1 specifically? I'm roughly half upgraded and it seems like they can climb about on par with me and match me in turns and vertical maneuvers, even when I use flaps. It doesn't seem like I can out dive them either. What makes it worse is that they seem to have enough ammo to blast indiscriminately with their big guns while I have to husband every cannon round I can until I'm sure of a shot. This is RB.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The single 20mm ShVak of LaGGs and most Yaks only have 120 rounds, which is just under 10 seconds of continuous fire at most. A decent amount, but not exactly so much to "Blast indiscriminately". Meanwhile your 20mm MG FFs have 60 rounds per gun, about enough ammo for just under 7 seconds of continuous fire. Not really all that different! Except the E-3 gets two MG FFs, while the F-1 has a nose mounted MG FF/M, which has everyone's favorite Mineshot. Honestly I'd take the armament of a 109 any day. Well, except maybe an E-1, but I do love chewing things up with small caliber machine guns.

In overall performance a 109 Emil and especially Fredrich should outclass most any LaGG. LaGGs have underpowered engines and lose energy badly in turns(or at the least, like to nose down in them). Can't really remember who is the better turner, but the 109 will hold energy in turns better. Yaks are another story, however.

One suggestion is to avoid fighting them below 3-4km altitude if at all possible. Russian fighters have lousy high altitude performance, while German fighters have great high altitude performance. Of course, in War Thunder, this is easier said than done.

[edit] Basically, yeah, what Thief says. You do outclimb them, and will outclimb them faster higher up. Be patient and Get High :350:.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jun 4, 2014

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Basically when flying any 109 you always want to have a significant altitude advantage otherwise you should be flying in the safest direction possible while climbing to reach that point.

The low ammo loads of the Russian fighters will be more than enough to shoot you down if you insist on dogfighting them at the altitudes that CARBs tend to play out in instead of taking them up high or attacking from above with an energy level that makes them unable to do anything but defend themselves.

Thief fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jun 4, 2014

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
So, I heard pubbies say that the SU-152 is bad. It must have been trolling, because that thing is an absolute murder machine. Sure, you can't drive around like in a clowncar, but just look at the gun.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Basically, yeah, what Thief says. You do outclimb them, and will outclimb them faster higher up. Be patient and Get High :350:.

Be careful though because the types of Yaks and 109s that face each other are so comparable that even the slightest energy disadvantage will allow them to climb up your rear end and you'll have to burn all your altitude to try and shake them or pray a wingman comes to peel them off.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The card in the game says the mantlet is the same thickness as the front of the hull.
Just throwing it out there: that's the maximum armor thickness and doesn't mean the whole thing is equally thick. I have no idea for the Tiger, but maybe it was weaker near the gun to facilitate whatever (clearance for part of the gun mounting or something).

Thief posted:

Can the average player consistently hit those areas from afar? It seems like the guns aren't laser accurate enough to bank on this.
Depends on what you deem "from afar" and with what vehicle. It's not unreasonable with most guns to aim for weakspots (often relying on seeing what you hit with previous shots to hone in) out to 200~300m. Beginning at ~500m though (depending on gun accuracy and maximum zoom of the optics [how many pixels their tank is]) it increasingly becomes much more just going for hits (and maybe correcting aim if you hit something that tells you to raise/lower).

Thief posted:

It's basically two separate rounds being played at the same time, except the planes can switch their focus to the ground if the tanks are losing badly. The overlap is great but it will always be a balancing nightmare because for some reason in this game you don't see players doing the same kind of improvised teamwork that you'd see in something like Team Fortress 2 but the game is still built around it so when players actually do figure it out they completely steamroll the enemy team and people think its unfair. Having proper voice chat would really help and I don't know how a game developer can look at something like Arma2 and not want to copy how they handled communicating over the mic.
You occasionally see improvised teamwork, but I'll agree it's much more rare.

I am frightened by the possibility of a F2P (yeah, I know TF2 is these days), international, and adminless (no one to remove XxJoexMommasxAssxX playing obnoxious music, no kickvote [maybe a mutevote?], muting could be a hassle... especially in SB planes) microphone comms. It's plainly an advantage (unless they don't speak English and/or you don't speak Russian), but at what cost. At what cost sir!?

JaucheCharly posted:

So, I heard pubbies say that the SU-152 is bad. It must have been trolling
Far more likely: the pubbie is bad and was extra bad with the SU-152.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
Which shells in the belts are the Mineshot? Truth be told I just want be flying my P-47 and Mustang. Despite supposedly similar playstyles I just don't work well with these German planes.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

bUm posted:

I am frightened by the possibility of a F2P (yeah, I know TF2 is these days), international, and adminless (no one to remove XxJoexMommasxAssxX playing obnoxious music, no kickvote [maybe a mutevote?], muting could be a hassle... especially in SB planes) microphone comms. It's plainly an advantage (unless they don't speak English and/or you don't speak Russian), but at what cost. At what cost sir!?

Don't spoil why I really want voice chat! It would become the whole reason to play the game. We would learn Russian/Portuguese so much faster...

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JaucheCharly posted:

So, I heard pubbies say that the SU-152 is bad. It must have been trolling, because that thing is an absolute murder machine. Sure, you can't drive around like in a clowncar, but just look at the gun.

it is excellent, but no where near as good as the su-85 MM considered.
I really enjoy how fast the gun settles after a stop compared to the kv-2 which wobbles all over the place.

I wish "time to aim" was a measurable stat on the stat cards.

I do so much better in that german medium with the 50mm compared to the f2 just because of how well it can snapshot from behind cover.

Does anyone have a KT they would be willing to let me shoot with a 152mm? I want to know if its still as fun at t5

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jun 4, 2014

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

There's a Jagdtiger on the test drive course you can test against.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I haven't played the game in about 6 months, any big changes I should be aware of? So far I 've seen the tanks (obviously), research instead of just money to buy new planes, less tiers for them and paying small amount of lions to repair a plane.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Pretty much. You can take a tank AND a plane into a tank battle because they're all combined arms now. Planes still have their own separate joint. Overall the game is much better and more balanced since you left. Teamwork and communication forever OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
I love playing Domination maps, all the pubbies speedcapping invariably end up like this

• Locked thread