Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

jackofarcades posted:

:psyduck:

Dan McLaughlin
‏@baseballcrank
Smearing military vets in a partisan fight is not a new thing for the people who slandered the Swift Boat Vets.

https://twitter.com/baseballcrank/status/473863603422908417

9:27 AM - 3 Jun 2014: Irony's official time of death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

jackofarcades posted:

:psyduck:

Dan McLaughlin
‏@baseballcrank
Smearing military vets in a partisan fight is not a new thing for the people who slandered the Swift Boat Vets.

https://twitter.com/baseballcrank/status/473863603422908417

Someone just reply to his tweet with these, one by one:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

zeroprime posted:

Someone just reply to his tweet with these, one by one:

Those people are just supporting real patriotic veterans in the fight against the lies of their former traitorous comrade. :colbert:

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
The party of ARE TROOPS are exploring the idea a former POW should be executed. This is beyond the pale.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2014/06/03/bowe-bergdahl-desertion-charges

This is currently one of the top stories on Drudge and he has it in big red ALERT text.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's going to be like a dark comedy if it turns out the dude was safer as a Taliban POW than in the GOP controlled United States for the crime of being somewhat good publicity for Obama.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Fox News already called for impeachment over it.

http://mediamatters.org/video/2014/06/03/foxs-legal-analyst-andrew-napolitano-endorses-c/199556

A little foreplay would be nice now and then guys, jeez.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Lester Shy posted:

The party of ARE TROOPS are exploring the idea a former POW should be executed. This is beyond the pale.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2014/06/03/bowe-bergdahl-desertion-charges

This is currently one of the top stories on Drudge and he has it in big red ALERT text.

Don't read the comments. Or rather do, see where wild speculation can take you!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I really want every Democratic president to get impeached for the next 20 years since it will be hilarious in the history books.

Also seriously getting linked in the Drudge Report is like releasing the flying monkeys to the comments section. The hypocrites that are outraged that six guys died because he wandered off/went AWOL but not at the people that sent thousands to go die for no reason (and at no personal risk) is aggravating as usual.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 3, 2014

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Intel&Sebastian posted:

http://mediamatters.org/video/2014/06/03/foxs-legal-analyst-andrew-napolitano-endorses-c/199556

Feb 26 2013: Fox Legal Analyst Andrew Napolitano Floats Obama Impeachment Over Sequester Spending Cut

Echo...echo...echo

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Flaggy posted:

Don't read the comments. Or rather do, see where wild speculation can take you!

LETS SHOOT THIS MAN WITHOUT ANY LEGITIMATE EVIDENCE SUPPORTING A NEED TO DO SO

-people who will parade around the constitution like it's their holy text

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Calling for impeachment is kind of Napolitano's thing when he isn't already preoccupied lamenting the positive portrayal of Lincoln and the supreme court decision allowing interracial marriage.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
How is the right going to possibly win the messaging war on this one? It takes a whole lot of shenanigans to convince the casual voter that rescuing a POW is somehow bad.

Their glee over the VA scandal might have emboldened them a bit too much, I really don't see this working for them in the end. Although I guess the media could fall for another swift boat style campaign, it's been a few years...

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Sir Tonk posted:

How is the right going to possibly win the messaging war on this one? It takes a whole lot of shenanigans to convince the casual voter that rescuing a POW is somehow bad.

Their glee over the VA scandal might have emboldened them a bit too much, I really don't see this working for them in the end. Although I guess the media could fall for another swift boat style campaign, it's been a few years...

Depending on the metric you use, they already are winning the message war on this one. The fact we got him back isn't being portrayed as bad, but the achievement is being devalued and the means we used to get him back are being portrayed as bad.

And hell, for once Obama actually did something that was sorta technically illegal

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Good Citizen posted:

And hell, for once Obama actually did something that was sorta technically illegal

Maybe.

I mean, I think the transfer has been planned/known for 2 years. And he uses a signing statement, a process that wasn't a problem for the 700 or so issued by Bush, but Obama issues his 30th and, well...

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

e: I misread the previous reply and am dumb

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Good Citizen posted:

Depending on the metric you use, they already are winning the message war on this one. The fact we got him back isn't being portrayed as bad, but the achievement is being devalued and the means we used to get him back are being portrayed as bad.

It is being portrayed as a bad thing all across the RW.

I don't know what success metric could include the self-proclaimed military aligned party, that has branded NEVER LEAVE A MAN BEHIND and BENGHAZI into their collective foreheads, doing a very public 180 and wondering aloud whether or not we should've left an American POW in the hands of the Taliban over hearsay. And tying themselves to a literal PR operation to smear a P.O.W. before he hit the ground. Whether or not they're correct in their assessment of Bergdahl, they tipped their hand. The nightly news is going to be showing Obama bringing home a soldier and the GOP grousing about it in an easily recognizable fit of Obama Derangement Syndrome.

Obama didn't spike the OBL ball, he wasn't about to do it here, and I really doubt they're dreading yet another clownshow house hearing into why they decided to save an American soldiers life.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/oliver-north-yes-oliver-north-accuses-obama-financing-terrorist-organization-bergdahl-releas
I am sorry, I cant do it, I hate the right wing in this country, I honest to god hate them. I use hyperbole as much as the next goon, But i honestly hate the GOP and the right wing right now.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Anti-vaxxers are morons, for sure, and need to be humiliated whenever possible, but it does no one any favors when people like Jon Stewart promote this false equivalence bullshit. Stuff like this will be used by right-wing and centrist douchebags as a counter to liberal attacks against conservatives on things like evolution and climate change.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
What's shocking to me is that there's already enough mud in the water with "we don't negotiate with terrorists" and "Obama broke the law by not giving Congress enough notice." I mean, I don't find those particularly compelling arguments, but if you work those angles you can say "Yes we're glad he's home, but it was done the wrong way." You don't have to have to take the completely bizarre position that he was a traitor and deserved to be left with the Taliban, especially when so many on the right are on record calling for his release.

I guess they learned from bin Laden that you can't just cry about Obama taking too much credit; everything he does has to be bad in every way possible.

Crosspost from the US Politics thread:

Lester Shy posted:

GOP lawmakers are quickly trying to whitewash their previous statements on Bergdahl. Two from today:

Republican Congressman Deletes Statement Calling Bergdahl "A National Hero"

Joni Ernst deletes tweet from the day of Bergdahl's release

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

So Seattle raised their min. wage to a whopping $15/hr. I totally support jacking up the min. wage and all, but I do pray that a raise this high won't end up being detrimental.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Mr Interweb posted:

Anti-vaxxers are morons, for sure, and need to be humiliated whenever possible, but it does no one any favors when people like Jon Stewart promote this false equivalence bullshit. Stuff like this will be used by right-wing and centrist douchebags as a counter to liberal attacks against conservatives on things like evolution and climate change.
Yeah, that's the entire purpose, it's the one bit of anti-science nuttery that has any purchase on the left, so truth-is-in-the-middle types love to trot it out as if it's the equivalent of conservative climate skepticism or creationism or abstinence-only sex education. It's not just that antivaxx is found evenly distributed across the political spectrum, it's that it's largely confined to the fringes of both parties, whereas climate change denial and abstinence-only advocates make up the core of the national GOP platform.

911 Truthers do make a pretty good match for Birth Certificate Truthers, though.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Mr Interweb posted:

So Seattle raised their min. wage to a whopping $15/hr. I totally support jacking up the min. wage and all, but I do pray that a raise this high won't end up being detrimental.

Both morally and politically: if a business can't pay its employees living wage, is their closure or departure really detrimental?

Waiters make >$9/hr (pre-tip) in both WA and OR, the state's already an outlier and the city is a place people move for non-job reasons anyway. If any American city can handle a minimum living wage, it's Seattle.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Mr Interweb posted:

We are in a post-facts society. The next Google super company could come out of Seattle but minus the gentrifying housing issues and the only think you will hear will be about how now people have to pay $300 for a burger and that every worker has been replaced by robots.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Mr Interweb posted:

I said it in the Seattle meet thread but frankly with my life, the economy, and the profit/wage gap over the last 10 years+, I don't have an ear for even a legitimate complaint against the wage hike. No one wondered whether it'd be detrimental to completely uncouple wages from profits and basically give the entire country a pay cut year after year for more than a decade. They just said hey this is good for us, guess you can deal with it. Yeah I'm worried about the effects and job market in the short term, but the fact is those worries and effects wouldn't exist if we were getting paid a fair wage in the first place. It's a pain associated with a curing a festered wound, not an elective surgery.

So yeah a 15 dollar minimum wage is good for me, guess they can loving deal with it. Lucky for them they have a hundred different ways of dealing with it and I would venture a guess that not many of them include "starving" or "living in your umbrella companies basement".

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think a lot of people (both Dems and GOP) are terrified that the $15 minimum wage won't result in zombies feasting on overpriced fastfood as the city burns and are going to do their best to try and either talk down the benefits or actively sabotage businesses. If in the short term businesses do leave than look out for LOTS of news on that subject in pretty much every media outlet.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Radish posted:

I think a lot of people (both Dems and GOP) are terrified that the $15 minimum wage won't result in zombies feasting on overpriced fastfood as the city burns and are going to do their best to try and either talk down the benefits or actively sabotage businesses. If in the short term businesses do leave than look out for LOTS of news on that subject in pretty much every media outlet.

Luckily we have a whip smart point woman now for opposition to this. And frankly as a tea partying bootstraps conservative I'm happy to see businesses that rely on welfare to survive ran out of town.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
http://thinkprogress.org/world/2014/06/03/3444491/allen-west-bergdahl-white-house-mosque/
apparently Allen "ronin" west thinks that speaking Arabic causes binding rituals.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 4, 2014

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

pengun101 posted:

http://thinkprogress.org/world/2014/06/03/3444491/allen-west-bergdahl-white-house-mosque/
apparently Allen "ronin" west thinks that speaking Arabic causes binding rituals.

Allen West has more faith in the power of Islam than most muslims themselves. May blessings be upon him. Allahu Snackbar.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Sarah Palin bitching about Bergdahl is so disgusting and really gets to the heart of how she really views the armed forces.

They're all doing it today, even "left wing media outlets" like CNN. I'm not sure what their point is. I guess if the guy cracked and ran out into the desert and deserted his post, he wasn't worth being rescued? Is that right? I guess he should just be left to rot? Or shot in the street?

But then again, like someone else posted, 4 years ago Palin was all "where's Obama and why won't he rescue this brave man?" It really is, at this stage, Obama does a thing, here's why it sucks and is bad. They criticize him for all the wrong reasons. They think the left is enamored with him but every hard liberal I know is luke-warm at best and wish he were MORE liberal.

Then they say the left did the same thing to Bush even though Congress gave him every thing he wanted except for privatizing Social Security (thank God).

The gently caress is going on here? Their quotes are RIGHT THERE FOR EVERYONE TO READ and half the country worships at the altar of their hypocrisy.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Luckily we have a whip smart point woman now for opposition to this. And frankly as a tea partying bootstraps conservative I'm happy to see businesses that rely on welfare to survive ran out of town.

This, I never understood how places like :foxnews: were happy to poo poo on food stamps but, completely ignored corporate welfare which without seeing any numbers I'd be willing to gamble my next meal that spending on it far outstrips SNAP spending.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

pengun101 posted:

Either West is gearing up for a Presidential run or a talk show bid, because he's been flailing desperately over these last few weeks to raise his visibility.

I hope he never stops
:allears:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

He's probably trying to stay in the spotlight to make sure people remember to buy his book.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Azuth0667 posted:

This, I never understood how places like :foxnews: were happy to poo poo on food stamps but, completely ignored corporate welfare which without seeing any numbers I'd be willing to gamble my next meal that spending on it far outstrips SNAP spending.

:foxnews: is a right wing shill and the right wing is bought and paid for.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Good Citizen posted:

Either West is gearing up for a Presidential run or a talk show bid, because he's been flailing desperately over these last few weeks to raise his visibility.

I hope he never stops
:allears:

Oh god, can you imagine Allen West vs. Ben Carson vs. Herman "The Cain Train" Cain? :allears:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

pengun101 posted:

I will never get over how much his head looks like a soup can.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

Oh god, can you imagine Allen West vs. Ben Carson vs. Herman "The Cain Train" Cain? :allears:

Probably something like this:

2016 posted:

How can you say our policies are racist? We've got three negros running! Three!

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

BiggerBoat posted:

They're all doing it today, even "left wing media outlets" like CNN. I'm not sure what their point is. I guess if the guy cracked and ran out into the desert and deserted his post, he wasn't worth being rescued? Is that right? I guess he should just be left to rot? Or shot in the street?

But then again, like someone else posted, 4 years ago Palin was all "where's Obama and why won't he rescue this brave man?" It really is, at this stage, Obama does a thing, here's why it sucks and is bad. They criticize him for all the wrong reasons. They think the left is enamored with him but every hard liberal I know is luke-warm at best and wish he were MORE liberal.

Then they say the left did the same thing to Bush even though Congress gave him every thing he wanted except for privatizing Social Security (thank God).

The gently caress is going on here? Their quotes are RIGHT THERE FOR EVERYONE TO READ and half the country worships at the altar of their hypocrisy.
This really started to irritate the poo poo out of me this morning. Especially since this forum informed me that the 5 guys we traded are really just low/mid-level politicians that we took prisoner at the beginning of the invasion, and that we were about to release them anyway.

I now have the tiniest appreciation for how easy it is to just mindlessly use patriotism as an attack, I'd love to see the reaction to someone yelling "So we should have just left him with the Taliban? You don't supports the troops, you must hate America!":911:

It's mindless, it ignores all the nuance in the situation, it attacks the person rather than the issue, and it's a textbook attack the right uses, but goddamn would it be fun watching them scramble in response.:allears:

E: I really want the right to just go full-on impeachment over this since there's actually a tiny grain of truth they can charge Obama with (not letting congress know 30 days in advance) and the base really really wants to impeach Obama for being black Benghazi something, anything.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 4, 2014

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Wales Grey posted:

2016 posted:
How can you say our policies are racist? We've got three negros running! Three!

2016 Republican national convention theme colors will be: Red/White/Bleaugh.

Bleaugh is black, with some plausible deniability that it's actually just really really dark blue.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
The other side of the crazy conspiracy coin is that if this guy deserted and flipped sides then isn't our getting him into custody kind of a good thing? The logic bites the right wing in the rear end on this either way.

A) He's a soldier who made a mistake, and so did not deserve to be left behind. 5 mid-level prisoners who've been rung dry for information for the past 5 years, isolated from their entire support network, and who were about to be released soon anyway were totally a valid trade.

B) He's a deserter and traitor. He could do real damage by abusing his position as a soldier somehow in order to hurt Americans or soldiers. Therefore, the US military should have wanted him in custody. 5 mid-level prisoners who've been rung dry for information for the past 5 years, isolated from their entire support network, and who were about to be released soon anyway were totally a valid trade.

In either extreme case the trade was a good one, and executive privilege and president being Commander in Chief validate Obama's actions. In a more moderate case where they just try to spread FUD about Bergdahl, it just leads to the conclusion that they feel it's totally okay to leave soldiers behind if there's an ideological disagreement.

So I know this is kind of a false trichotomy, but it breaks into the GOP not valuing the lives of soldiers, wanting to politicize individual soldiers, or being weak on national defense.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
You guys don't get it. The dude is a deserter who hates America and probably deserves to die. The prisoners they exchanged for him were Osama Bin Laden's right hand men. OBAMA! :argh: