Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

regulargonzalez posted:

I got some news for him: If you're 6'10 and weigh 300+ lbs of pure muscle, you're probably not gonna get offered Hamlet.

So what you're saying is if i'm 6'10 and 300+ lbs I should stop working out if I want to play Hamlet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

BubbleGoose posted:

His face is far more menacing too. Can imagine the shot of his expression as he crushed Oberyn's head?

Welllll, it's a tradeoff.

Hafthor is 420 lbs and looks more massive. His downside is his babyface.

Conan is 320 lbs. On the plus side, his face is more scowly and surly, and on top of that he like he could be older than Rory McCann.

But, whatever. We got the scene, and even if it wasn't ideal I think it worked well enough.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Mister Fister posted:

Dear people, if someone is filming you while watching GoT, you're about to experience a rough ride any second now...

Yep. Should be an immediate clue.

As long as we're posting reaction videos, here is the one I posted in the ~SPOILERS~ thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1VY8JTA6HI

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

regulargonzalez posted:

I got some news for him: If you're 6'10 and weigh 300+ lbs of pure muscle, you're probably not gonna get offered Hamlet.

Counter-point:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCVc5TaPpe8

ED: Still laughing that the actor that plays Twyinn was in this.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 3, 2014

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Rape Culture wins

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

McDragon posted:

Also this is a show with giants in it. Maybe Mrs. Clegane hosed a giant.

This is book talk but its also completely irrelevant speculation:

I'm pretty sure the Mountain is meant to have an Andre The Giant style pituitary tumor in the books. He's gargantuan from a young age (bigger than most men by 12), suffers violent mood swings, and has constant blinding headaches. Normally, I think its dumb to give science-y explanation in a setting with magic but the headaches are particularly noticeable in his characterization and Martin likes to maintain a firm line between science and magic.

edit: just read an interview with Conan Stevens where he mentions that he came to the same conclusion

SickZip fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 4, 2014

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Oberyn dying is loving bs and you all know it.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Duggler posted:

Did you mean to put that on twitter?

dionysian
Dec 30, 2012

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax

oswald ownenstein posted:

He's posting that 'innocent question' multiple times in this thread to try and spoil the show for people. I reported him, but that's why I recommended people turn avatars off like the OP says at the top :)

Hint I didn't buy this avatar, and the preview isn't on the GoT youtube page like usual sooo

e: ^^^^^^^^^ :vince:

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

dionysian posted:

I'M A HOMO! I'M GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
That fanfic/theory is just a little less silly than the goon who said that Breaking Bad will end with Walt shooting up his highschool with a machine gun.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

If you're gonna do that you gotta put the good spoilers in the first line.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
After all the tears regarding Ned, Red Wedding, and Oberyn, not spoiling show watchers would probably have more of a payoff (like that insane Youtube rant a bunch of pages ago).

IncendiaC fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 4, 2014

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!

The Duggler posted:

I miss him too, buddy. It's gonna be okay. :sympathy:

BubbleGoose fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 4, 2014

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

That would've been a hell of a spoiler if fyad's subtitle didn't beat you to it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Wait are we sure Oberyn is dead

What if he's just sleeping

"What did I drink last night? I've got a splitting headache!"

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Jerusalem posted:

"What did I drink last night? I've got a splitting headache!"

Leave me alone, I need to gather my thoughts

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

BubbleGoose posted:

I miss him too, buddy. It's gonna be okay. :sympathy:

It's so hard :cry:

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
Episode 9 preview is up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGj-IwRMA7s

From the preview and the recap it looks like this episode is wholly dedicated to the Wall siege.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So I know there seems to be a lot of hate for Dany but man. No one else gives a cold-rear end stare like she does. When she's chewing out Jorah, that is the face of a girl you don't want to gently caress with

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
I thought she was specifically not looking him in the eye because it was hard to do

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Well she wasn't which made it all the more effective, but she's given that kind of stare before in other contexts and it's always awesome and cold as ice

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Why doesn't Dany ride the dragons like Falcor?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Steve Yun posted:

Leave me alone, I need to gather my thoughts

He always was scatterbrained.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Dany's character is super dull but her actress does a great job with what she's given. She's very expressive, and she pulls off lines that would be really easy to deliver in stilted and unnatural ways.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
We already did the lame puns like a million pages back. Even the actor got in on the pun action: https://twitter.com/PedroPascal1/status/473481358556160002

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

fletcher posted:

Why doesn't Dany ride the dragons like Falcor?

Wouldn't they get pissed after a while, rear their heads back and chew her face off? They had a scene where one of them nipped at her and winged it the gently caress out of there, so I'm hoping that's setting something up in the future?
Definitely could increase her facial acting range. We all see how amazingly well done acting can be without a face in Hannibal.

Wwwwoooooould I?

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing

Why would you do this?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Kasonic posted:

Why would you do this?

I'd be pretty surprised if even half of that is true. Maybe some spoilers mixed with some fakes? In any case some parts sound pretty contrived and ridiculous.

(Not a book reader, I have no idea if I'm right)

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!
Emilia Clarke comes off too stiff for my taste. I know what she was going for in that scene, but, for me, she just doesn't sell that Targaryan 'Burn them all!' blood she's supposed to have. She teeters on being poised/regal and wooden/passive, and sometimes it's hard for me to see her as descended from dragon riding conquerers. I feel there are moments in her story where she could have suggested a hint of her brother's and father's crazy, but Clarke doesn't commit to it.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

BubbleGoose posted:

Emilia Clarke comes off too stiff for my taste. I know what she was going for in that scene, but, for me, she just doesn't sell that Targaryan 'Burn them all!' blood she's supposed to have. She teeters on being poised/regal and wooden/passive, and sometimes it's hard for me to see her as descended from dragon riding conquerers. I feel there are moments in her story where she could have suggested a hint of her brother's and father's crazy, but Clarke doesn't commit to it.

I think that if she wasn't written like a flawless queen who just swats away every threat to her more of that rage would come out.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Caught up on the latest episode and that fight was intense. I was praying the show would just play it straight and oh wow the good guy kicked rear end and took names, but alas :( I felt myself really suddenly invested in the show in a way I've not felt before with TV. In that eye gouging moment I was fuming mad. Someone just come up and put an axe in the back of the mountains skull quick!

On the downside though, I do find GoT has a way of killing off some of its momentum by abruptly ending characters and their arcs. Especially after Rob's death things seemed to ground down to a snails pace for a while and it felt like we had lost the 'A' story thread. Kinda felt the same when Joffrey died.

Oberyn was a mover and a shaker, livening things up a bit. Many of the remaining plots/arcs hold far less interest to me, especially Daenerys and Rickon. Although atleast we got a good look at the hottest girl in the show (Daenerys assistant).

Also can someone remind me what happened to Stark the youngest? Do I remember right that he got separated from the group when John fought the wildlings and got arrow'd?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

AgentJotun posted:

Also can someone remind me what happened to Stark the youngest? Do I remember right that he got separated from the group when John fought the wildlings and got arrow'd?

He didn't get separated - he and Osha left to go somewhere when Bran refused to back down from going beyond the wall.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

He wandered into a forest of walnut trees and was never seen again.

edit:

"THMASH THMASH THMASH"

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Last Hearth, I believe they said. Bran thought the rest of their journey was too dangerous for the walnut-slayer.

Mide
Jun 2, 2009
This show has become too simple now. You know exactly what will happen to anyone. Jon will die in the next episode, then the hound for the final episode, and I'm sure Daavos will die somewhere between now and then also. Am I missing anyone? Oh yah, Shireen is going to be killed by her mother and stuck into a pickle jar.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Mide posted:

This show has become too simple now. You know exactly what will happen to anyone. Jon will die in the next episode, then the hound for the final episode, and I'm sure Daavos will die somewhere between now and then also. Am I missing anyone? Oh yah, Shireen is going to be killed by her mother and stuck into a pickle jar.

Stannis walks into her room full of pickled babies and walks by them like it's nothing he hasn't seen before but one jar is quite a bit bigger than the other 3 and after a few seconds he suddenly stops and you hear a record scratch. He looks at the giant jar, then looks at the camera and gives a Jim Halpert look and then it freeze frames and then Sanford and Son music starts playing to the credits

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I think that if she wasn't written like a flawless queen who just swats away every threat to her more of that rage would come out.

I don't think the writing makes her out to be flawless at all, because she has certainly made mistakes. Her mistakes arise largely from her ignorance and arrogance that should have made themselves apparent the moment she emerged unscathed from that fire with three newborn dragons. There are definite moments of conflict for Dany, but Clarke's interpretation of her is as a young girl with her heart in the right place, not as disposed princess who truly believes that it is her divine right to rule. Who knows, maybe that will come later, and maybe this show has made me a bit cynical, because I can't picture a power player--and Targaryan on top of that--being so high minded and pure of thought as Dany attempts to be, without there being some darker, less conscious psychological motivation at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoFarGone
Nov 2, 2011
Living well is the best revenge.
Surprised no one has considered that maybe Sansa really does know what Littlefinger wants. And that's okay with Sansa because it dovetails nicely with what she's wanted all her life. Really looking forward to seeing how that arc is going to play out.

Also I'm kind of all Team Ramsey right now and hating myself for it. Getting us to root for the baddies is GoT at its best.

• Locked thread