Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Serious Frolicking posted:

The show says that the chinese are bad guys, so obviously that is true. Interpreting a work of fiction further than repeating the lines verbatim just means you are trying too hard.

Truly we are the tryhards. Also for a moment I thought you were being serious there. Poe's law makes things difficult.

Edward IV posted:

Are they (at least the non-Japanese viewers) even aware of the thinly veiled nationalism and anti-Chinese rhetoric? Not that it matters because either answer would just piss me off and lower my faith in humanity in general.

Well at least in Korea this show is pretty much shunned and only the foolishly drunk and mad write reviews about each episode where you see their sanity slipping more and more through each review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SorcerousHam
Apr 8, 2011
The most amusing aspect about this trainwreck is that even if the original writings are useless schlock, at least the internal monologues of Gary Stu help explain his actions. The fact that the anime doesn't have basically any of them means he's just a giant walking rear end in a top hat with no motivations, whereas the novels at least have him as a giant walking rear end in a top hat with explained motivations.

For example, a viewer of the anime can only see a creepy brother/sister incest story. At least the novels have Gary Stu acknowledging in his own head that his sister is loving weird and hoping that if he ignores it she'll eventually stop. (I mean, he's loving weird, but he's at least got magically induced Autism as an excuse. She's just following a long and distinguished bloodline of psychopaths.)

There really is nothing redeemable about the anime adaptation except that it's occassionally pretty to look at. There's very little redeemable about the novels either, but at least they attempt to give people motivations and reasons for their actions, even if they're stupid or stereotypical Japanese nationalist cliches.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Mainu Kamfo the anime

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

WickedHate posted:

The bad guys are the government of a largely homogeneous nation, what are you expecting? There actually are Japanese villains too anyway, because so far in the show that's all there's been, plus Tatsuya and Miyuki's family.

A reminder that all the japanese villains thus far were hypnotised by the chinese agent.

Guess who read more mahouka today (its me).

First up the president wears a dress that shows her shoulders and comes to above her knees. Naturally this is a moral outrage and against the puritan dress code.

quote:

Among this group, Mayumi's appearance was very conspicuous.
As a matter of fact, she was "extremely conspicuous".
Both her arms and shoulders were revealed in her summer dress.
The length was also above her knees.
Her bare legs were matched with a pair of high heeled sandals.
Her skin was lightly browned, probably because she applied an anti-UV and infrared protection layer. Taking this into account, she technically wasn't revealing anything, but this skin coloring only served to help people think that she had been sunbathing.
Tatsuya is naturally unfazed.

quote:

Currently, the Ten Master Clans consisted of "Ichijou", "Futatsugi", "Mitsuya", "Yotsuba", "Itsuwa", "Mutsudzuka", "Saegusa", "Yatsushiro", "Kudou", and "Juumonji", which just happened to number from one to ten chronologically. However, this was the first time this had occurred since the Ten Master Clans had been formed, and there have been situations where one or two numbers were either duplicated or missing altogether.
What a fortunate and easy to remember coincidence.

Onii-sama sits on a seperate bus

quote:

This young lady did not make a fuss like Kanon, which only served to increase her friends' trepidation.
"............."
"......Uh, Miyuki, would you like some tea......?"
"Honoka, thank you. However, I'm sorry, but I'm not thirsty right now. I'm not like Onii-sama, who was ordered out into the hot sun to stand watch."
Her voice was both calm and gentle.
Just like the chill that someone would feel upon gazing at the fine layer of frost that covered the landscape.
"Ah, uh, you're right."
Honoka quickly agreed as someone on the other side of the aisle sharply nudged her flank.
(Why are you reminding her of her brother!)
(It's not like I meant to do that!)
Honoka and Shizuku weren't telepathic but were still able to communicate with their eyes because maybe they both wanted to "do something" for the silently fuming Miyuki?
".......Seriously, since we know who was going to be late, there was no reason for him to wait outside the bus...... Why is Onii-sama always doing so much......"
Miyuki finally started to mutter aloud, which only increased the terrifying tension around her.
Honoka wanted to flee.
At the very least, she wanted to switch places with Shizuku.
But if she switched seats at this juncture, she would surely incur Miyuki's wrath.
Scratch that, Miyuki wouldn't actually do anything to her friends, but the dangerous feeling surrounding her was enough to cause people to let one's imagination run wild (speaking of which, the 1st Year female student sitting next to Shizuku was huddled in a ball and keeping her eyes glued outside).
"......And he's sitting in a tiny storage vehicle crowded with equipment...... At least during the trip, I had hoped Onii-sama could get some proper rest......"
Shizuku glanced at the terrified Honoka and sighed.
Shizuku believed that Miyuki omitted the three words "next to me" (in other words, Shizuku mentally adjusted this to be "Onii-sama could get some proper rest next to me"), but she said something completely different.
"Still, Miyuki, this is where I think your older brother is amazing."
Shizuku took the opportunity of starting a conversation to switch seats with Honoka.
Honoka clasped both her palms together in thanks, but Shizuku couldn't see this with her back to her and Miyuki didn't notice this either.
Miyuki was wholly unaware that someone else had caught her muttering to herself, so she was unable to immediately react.
Shizuku seized the opening to keep speaking, completely shattering her normally stoic image.
"Even if he waited on the bus, I don't think anyone would actually complain about it, but your brother dutifully fulfilled his mission to 'verify all contestants had boarded'. It's true that this seems like an unimportant chore, but he didn't take this boring task lightly and was able to maintain his composure even though something unexpected happened, which isn't easy at all. Miyuki's brother is really amazing."
It was thanks to Shizuku's personality that she was able to say such a mushy comment aloud. Honoka was more the type to think those thoughts in the privacy of her mind.
"......You're right, Onii-sama is the nicest person in the oddest areas."
Finally, Miyuki was able to contain her embarrassment and the icy pressure around them faded as well.
Hiding behind Shizuku, Honoka made a victory sign with her hand.
Yes, this is a relatable and endearing character trait.

Hattori and Kirihaya get to talking. Naturally the conversation soon comes to the living legend

quote:

"That brother of hers...... I'm guessing he’s offed someone before."
"Offed?"
Hattori's incredulous voice carried a note of shock.
"Yes, he's killed someone before, and not just one or two people."
"......You don't actually mean homicide, do you? You're referring to actual combat experience?"
"He does give people that feeling...... You know that my dad was in the marines right?"
"Yeah, I remember he had been deployed to Tsushima Island several times?"
This felt like an abrupt change in topic, but Hattori didn't dwell on this point and continued with Kirihara's conversation.
"Dad was only a corporal, but on the other hand, because he was a low-ranking officer, he was deployed to the front lines where he got to know a lot of soldiers who spent their days in the trenches. Occasionally, some of Dad's old war buddies would come over to my house, and they give off a completely different vibe from normal people. Regardless of whether it's kenjutsu or shooting, no matter how much we train in combat tactics and martial techniques, the sheer killing intent given off by soldiers who have killed in the heat of combat differs from athletes that haven't. Do you know the details behind the incident in April?"
Another change in topic.
"Why did you bring this up...... I heard that was caused by anti-magic terrorists. I only know that the terrorist cell was cleared out by Juumonji."
Hattori was displeased with the abrupt change in direction but kept a lid on his annoyance. Instinctively, he felt this was all connected.
"Is that so...... Then I can't go into too much detail...... Although since it's you, I think I can take it to this level. I was present at the suppression of the terrorists, as well as the Shiba siblings."
"......Really?"
"I can understand why you would ask that, but that's the truth. There, I think I saw Shiba — the older Shiba's natural instinct."
"Natural instinct?"
Compared to Kirihara's current words, his voice also carried a tinge of trepidation, which caused Hattori to immediately fire back a question.
"Yes, natural instinct, or at least a part of it. It was terrifying. He had the same quality the soldiers on the front line had but his killing intent was several times more intense, like a thick coating of killing intent covering him like a great coat. He was dangerous enough to cause a shiver to run down my spine, enough to make me wonder what a guy like that’s doing in high school."
Kirihara's mouth may have said this, but his expression seemed very agitated.
"......There should be no way to hide his age."
Hattori was feigning naivety. This slightly off-tangent impression was a better gauge of his astonishment than the expression on his face.
"This only goes to show that age doesn't equate to experiences."
:smuggo:

quote:

"The vehicle's trajectory was too unnatural and the investigation yielded the expected results. There were remnants of magic left on the vehicle."
Tatsuya modulated his volume to avoid eavesdroppers and Miyuki emulated her older brother's soft tones.
"But I didn't see anything......"
While the literal meaning of those words were a denial, Miyuki never doubted her brother for a moment.
She had a front row seat to the "accident" from the start.
And until the last moment, she never felt a trace of the other side using magic.
Her brother was different. Miyuki could only see the "present", but all of the "past" were within her brother's purview.
Miyuki knew that if her brother had determined "there were remnants", then that was the truth of the matter.
Tatsuya could never possibly be wrong.

Then everyone goes to a party to prepare for the magic school olympics

quote:

Since this was a high school event after all, no alcoholic beverages were served.

quote:

Even if they hired hourly interns, they wouldn't easily hire high school students.
Other than that, there's an age restriction as well. Even with a banquet where alcoholic beverages are forbidden, they wouldn't relax the restrictions either. Actually, most of the servants and waitresses circulating the area looked to be in their twenties.

quote:

Kanon joined Tatsuya's group with a glass (without alcohol of course) held in one hand.
There was no alcohol at the party. No alcohol was being served at the banquet. He came up with a glass in hand (no alcohol tho).

Also things get weird

quote:

The dress code for the banquet was each school's uniforms, so they didn't have to worry on that account. That being said, the borrowed suit didn't fit him very well, which raised his resistance towards attending.
"Should we have purchased a new one......?"
His fidgeting had been noticed after all.
Miyuki furrowed her brows in concern as she watched Tatsuya.
"It's nothing, don't worry about it. Sorry for making you worry."
This sequence thoroughly shamed Tatsuya, as it was getting difficult to tell who the older sibling was. In addition, this was an official event with mandatory attendance, so one shouldn't complain that they were uncomfortable or displeased.
"No, Onii-sama, please don't say that."
She probably noticed the minute adjustments to Tatsuya's expression and realized that he had wiped out his depressed mood.
Miyuki smiled happily.
"OK, those siblings over there can stop flirting."
The slightly teasing words caused Tatsuya to glance aside — strictly speaking, he had to glance downwards — to see Mayumi stifling her smile as she watched them.
"I can't believe you said flirting...... What's this?"
On the Internet, Tatsuya had read that some young women have been afflicted with a malady that causes them to see all interactions between different genders as romantic interactions. Truth be told, Tatsuya had several people around him suffering from the same illness, so he really didn't want to broach that subject.
However, Mayumi seemed to be up to her old tricks and only wanted to needle him a little.
Tatsuya had long since accustomed himself to not receiving a straight answer, but still used his eyes to prompt Mayumi to respond.
But Mayumi's gaze wasn't resting on Tatsuya, rather on someone beside him.
At the sight of her trying not to burst out into laughter, Tatsuya followed her line of sight and......
"Miyuki...... Why are you so embarrassed all of a sudden?"
His sister ducked her head in shame.
"Everyone, let's go."
Mayumi retracted her teasing attitude and urged everyone onward, her mood excellent for some unknown reason.
On some level, Tatsuya was irritated that he had turned into a device for mood improvement, but upon seeing Mayumi's retreating figure move away with lighthearted footsteps, he suddenly thought "Ah, forget it".
This is dumb.

quote:

Miyuki esteemed Tatsuya more than anyone else (not only did Miyuki respect Tatsuya more than anyone else, she also rated him higher than anyone else).
She knew her brother wasn't perfect — but still believed that her brother was, on some level, superhuman.
Miyuki also knew that her brother possessed many glaring flaws.
One of these flaws was that he was unable to believe other people's good will towards him.
This can be partially blamed on his dullness, in that he was unable to comprehend goodwill directed towards him.
More importantly, Tatsuya honestly questioned why people would think positively of him.
On some level, this was inevitable.
Because his own parents neglected to pour this emotion called "love" into him, and even personally stripped "love" from his mind.
Miyuki knew it would take a miracle for her brother to return her feelings.
Even so, seeing an adorable classmate (even in Miyuki's eyes, Erika was an undeniable beauty) display an almost affectionate — Miyuki believed this might be "love" — towards him, Tatsuya still watched her go, behind that unyielding mask of logic, causing Miyuki's heart to ache more than be at ease.
Miyuki believed that her brother didn't even notice the gaze she was directing towards him.
Or maybe he noticed that she was watching him.
But Tatsuya definitely wasn't able to comprehend what feelings Miyuki was holding inside — once she thought of this, Miyuki despaired.
And grew more furious.

—This way, she must scold him sternly in order to calm down.

—Her brother's overly dim personality would definitely be a stumbling stone on his path to developing meaningful social relations.

—Yes, this was for her brother, a scolding born of love.

Beneath the beatific smile normally seen on statues, Miyuki made this decision.
......There was no way she could have remained ignorant of the looks she drew from her surroundings, but maybe no one could understand the real her.
The book spells it out pretty clearly, this isn't just respect, she is unironically in love with onii-sama. Also I like how Tatsuya's only "flaw" is not realising how perfect he is.

The girls then all go to an artificial hot spring in the hotel and one of the girls starts squeezing another girl's titys and then all the girls fall in love with Miyuki's goddess-like body but they don't touch her cause they're scared she'll freeze the water. It's all very droll.

quote:

Eimi's eyes were glued in that direction — Honoka's bosom.
"How surprising, Honoka cuts a great figure!"
Eimi gradually advanced.
P.much a few paragraphs worth of that. Also they're all wearing special bath robes because of future prudishness

quote:

Female bathing robes were literally "mini-coats that reached mid-thigh without any pants". Though maybe describing them as "bathing robes the length of mini-skirts without the belt" sounded sexier? The lack of a belt certainly made it easier to relax in the onsen, but provided even less sense of security than a swimsuit.
Good for them I guess.

quote:

"If that's the case, what type of guy does Miyuki like? Is it truly like your brother's type?"
The one who reacted to Subaru's words was not Miyuki, but Honoka instead. Her body tensed momentarily, which was only detected by Shizuku who was sitting beside her.
Miyuki displayed an incredibly calm attitude and an almost wordless expression as she answered Subaru.
"I have no idea where you think this is going...... But Onii-sama and I are siblings by blood, so I've never seen Onii-sama as a romantic partner. Also, I don't believe there's anyone else in the entire world that could be the same as Onii-sama."
Hearing Miyuki's reply, Subaru and Eimi were distinctly disappointed (Subaru's expression looked a little forced).
Afterwards, no one else questioned Miyuki and Tatsuya's relationship.
Yet, within the bath, two girls did not fully accept Miyuki's answer.
In Miyuki's tone, Honoka and Shizuku read something entirely different from the words "I've never seen Onii-sama as a romantic partner
You're fooling nobody love.

quote:

Tatsuya opted not to head directly back to his room and strolled around the perimeter of the hotel, where he detected an oddly nervous presence.
This presence told him that someone was holding his breath while surveying the premises.
Initially, Tatsuya thought this was a thief, but quickly rejected this line of thinking.
A presence that desired to hide itself but was unable to, reeked of bloodthirsty impulses.
Tatsuya spread out his senses and directly linked to the information dimension — the colossal information body that contained the data for the myriad objects around him.
(Three people in total, located near...... The railings near the hotel camouflaged to look like foliage.)
Each of them carried handguns and small explosives.
Yeah Tatsuya can basically sense evil intent and guns because of course he can.

So he helps stop them and then the magic olympics start. Tatsuya isn't competing but he judges all the competitor's spells and offers suggestions for improvement. Also he's told by his army mates that he can never compete because his magic is too strong + a national secret. All of his friends who are girls win. That night Miyuki goes to Tatsuya's room.

quote:

"If that's the case, it still qualifies as pioneering new magic, right? I don't think Onii-sama's inventions are pointless."
"Probably reserved for entertainment purposes...... Anyways, this isn't particularly important, so there's no rush to finish. You are, of course, 'first priority'."
"Oh dear...... Really, Onii-sama, you actually said that I'm 'more important'......"
(Wha?)
Seeing his sister clasp her face in both hands and lower her head, Tatsuya plainly felt something odd had occurred.
Apparently, his earlier words had gone in a completely mystifying direction.
(She got the literal meaning right, but somewhere a fatal language error must have occurred......)
This confusion could not be dispelled immediately, but Tatsuya still snapped out of it faster than Miyuki.
"......Let's head out."
"Yes, Onii-sama...... And...... Miyuki is the same as Onii-sama."
"Meaning......?"
"Miyuki also sees Onii-sama as the most important person."
"............"
Looks like his sister was still out of it — he hoped.
Right now, Tatsuya clung onto that belief.
And that happens.

They then get to the next day and the president is playing magic pingpong tennis against someone and is dressed in a tennis skirt because the author has a leg fetish.

And that's as far as I got.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Srice posted:

The first arc, which lasted 7 episodes, culminated in fighting a villain who could do nothing against the protagonist. He's immune to all his magic and the "good guys" beat up him and dismember him and he can't do a single thing about it. It's like watching a professional boxer seriously fighting a child. Roughly 2.5ish hours, all for that.

It's p funny to me that this power fantasy spent a lot of time building up to what came across to me as one heck of a bullying incident since heck, they appeared to take some glee in lopping that dude's arm off.

It seriously is hilarious how the sister goes to pieces afterward. "Oh, Tatsuya, I was so worried!" *Runs crying into his arms* She was right there when he made the leader of Blanche look like a tool and showed how worthless all his mooks were. Also when Tatsuya literally describes the kenjutsu-champion dude who busted in and literally dismembered a beaten and helpless man as "gallant." :lol:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So gallant I can hardly believe it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contest_to_kill_100_people_using_a_sword

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Namtab posted:

A reminder that all the japanese villains thus far were hypnotised by the chinese agent.

Only the students were, aside from the kendo captain. Blanche wasn't, and the hypnotiser himself was Japanese.

That is completely unrelated other then the use of a sword.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

WickedHate posted:

That is completely unrelated other then the use of a sword.

Oh really?

Wartime accounts posted:

Other soldiers and historians have noted the unlikelihood of the lieutenants' alleged heroics, which entailed killing enemy after enemy in fierce hand-to-hand combat.[4] Noda himself, on returning to his hometown, admitted during a speech,

quote:

Actually, I didn't kill more than four or five people in hand-to hand combat... We'd face an enemy trench that we'd captured, and when we called out, 'Ni, Lai-Lai!' (You, come on!), the Chinese soldiers were so stupid, they'd rush toward us all at once. Then we'd line them up and cut them down, from one end of the line to the other. I was praised for having killed a hundred people, but actually, almost all of them were killed in this way. The two of us did have a contest, but afterward, I was often asked whether it was a big deal, and I said it was no big deal...[7]

Sure, dismembering the limb of a helpless and defeated guy is completely different from goading a bunch of defeated Chinese soldiers who have no means of escape into charging you while you cut them down with your sword. Who needs POWs or the Geneva convention?

:allears:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Edward IV posted:

Oh really?

Sure, dismembering the limb of a helpless and defeated guy is completely different from goading a bunch of defeated Chinese soldiers who have no means of escape into charging you while you cut them down with your sword. Who needs POWs or the Geneva convention?

:allears:
[/quote]

To me, that reads like they charged all at once in order to surrender. Otherwise, why would they obediently line up? Though to be fair to the literal war criminals, they probably didn't lose their temper and try to murder girls they liked with a sword back in japan.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

To me, that reads like they charged all at once in order to surrender. Otherwise, why would they obediently line up?

Oh. :geno:

Oh... :stare:

OHHHH!!!! :stonk:

:negative:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm all for pointing out how dumb WickedHate is but when you start comparing anime events to real life war crimes unironically it may be time to step back a little.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Namtab posted:

I'm all for pointing out how dumb WickedHate is but when you start comparing anime events to real life war crimes unironically it may be time to step back a little.

What do you mean, the author must have modeled that scene after the contest because he hates foreigners and Shirō Ishii is his hero. Swords were used in both cases, how much more obvious can it get? Reign in the nationalism there Mahouka!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

WickedHate posted:

What do you mean, the author must have modeled that scene after the contest because he hates foreigners and Shirō Ishii is his hero. Swords were used in both cases, how much more obvious can it get? Reign in the nationalism there Mahouka!

You're not exactly in a position to make fun of other people in this thread. You never did address the "it's hosed up for Japan to write fiction with China as an evil antagonist given the history between the two countries" point. A Chinese American poster even said "yeah, it's really insensitive/disrespectful." How exactly is it different from the "German protagonists fighting Jewish antagonists" comparison I made? Like I mentioned, the existence of (in the analogy) German Jew sympathizers doesn't exactly make things better.

If this show introduces some large faction of not-evil/stupid Chinese people, then I might reconsider (somewhat*). But as is it's seriously loving ridiculous.

*Even then it would just go from "holy poo poo this is awful" nationalism/racism to "bad American right-wing fiction where there are some good (insert enemy ethnicity) people."

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

:lobcorp:
Can someone please remind me why the distinction between Course 1 and Course 2 students is made at all? Unless I've missed something, Course 2 students are basically screwed over by the school for no real reason whatsoever, besides the fact that the government is apparently :downs: and keeps sending their students off to be killing machines rather than getting them to be teachers to make more killing machines.

I mean, the show says that it's based on the innate magical potential of the students ot something but that's also bullshit bevause all of the course 2 students we see are just as badass as the course 1 students we've seen.

Or is it just a contrived plot device in place to provide cheap drama/elitist rhetoric?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ytlaya posted:

You're not exactly in a position to make fun of other people in this thread. You never did address the "it's hosed up for Japan to write fiction with China as an evil antagonist given the history between the two countries" point. A Chinese American poster even said "yeah, it's really insensitive/disrespectful." How exactly is it different from the "German protagonists fighting Jewish antagonists" comparison I made?

Because it's a terrible analogy and a terrible comparison. There are real life tensions between China and Japan. As another poster pointed out, among countries that could threaten Japan, China is clearly the most fit for the role.

VinnyDonuts posted:

Can someone please remind me why the distinction between Course 1 and Course 2 students is made at all?

Course 1 students got better entry test scores, so they are prioritized and given the limited teachers. The point of it is that this is bad and fairly evaluates no one.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

VinnyDonuts posted:

Can someone please remind me why the distinction between Course 1 and Course 2 students is made at all? Unless I've missed something, Course 2 students are basically screwed over by the school for no real reason whatsoever, besides the fact that the government is apparently :downs: and keeps sending their students off to be killing machines rather than getting them to be teachers to make more killing machines.

I mean, the show says that it's based on the innate magical potential of the students ot something but that's also bullshit bevause all of the course 2 students we see are just as badass as the course 1 students we've seen.

Or is it just a contrived plot device in place to provide cheap drama/elitist rhetoric?

Not only is it a contrived plot device, but it also allows our self insert protagonist to go to high school without that pesky part where he actually has to go to class! The only way it works is if you think outside the work, or in other words about what the target audience likely thinks about high school.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
I'm just surprised there aren't any incredibly racist caricatures of Koreans in this show/these books yet.

Or are they there, and just kind of lumped in with Kratmanesque-China?

The Sandman fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 4, 2014

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

The Sandman posted:

I'm just surprised there aren't any incredibly racist caricatures of Koreans in this show/these books yet.

Or are they there, and just kind of lumped in with Kratmanesque-China?

I'm pretty sure that most of asia is lumped into one country, yes.

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

WickedHate posted:

Course 1 students got better entry test scores, so they are prioritized and given the limited teachers. The point of it is that this is bad and fairly evaluates no one.

So the students who struggle are left in the lurch, while the already-successful students receive an actual loving education when they're the ones who might actually be able to self-teach themseves?

Never mind the fact that the lack of teachers is entirely the government's fault, since the school is government-controlled and they could just make people be teachers (since they've shown no compunction whatsoever towards determining people's careers for them)?

Wow. Truly Glorious Nippon is the greatest of all empires.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

VinnyDonuts posted:

So the students who struggle are left in the lurch, while the already-successful students receive an actual loving education when they're the ones who might actually be able to self-teach themseves?

Never mind the fact that the lack of teachers is entirely the government's fault, since the school is government-controlled and they could just make people be teachers (since they've shown no compunction whatsoever towards determining people's careers for them)?

I recall that earlier in the thread someone mentioned that it was this way because of "international standards", which means that it's not Japan's fault and those foreigners are stupid and etc etc gently caress the poor give me money etc etc.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

VinnyDonuts posted:

It's not presented as a good thing.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Namtab posted:

Yeah, I doubt the author specifically had that moment in mind. It's just funny to me how quick and inconsequential the actual moments of battle we've seen are. The heroes always have an overwhelming advantage, the enemy is always rendered totally ineffectual (and they go out of their way to make the Japanese leader of Blanche a total wuss in contrast to our cool and methodical hero). I'm surprised this is as popular as it is when it's such a blatant power fantasy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

WickedHate posted:

Because it's a terrible analogy and a terrible comparison. There are real life tensions between China and Japan. As another poster pointed out, among countries that could threaten Japan, China is clearly the most fit for the role.

And like I said, no one who isn't either incredibly stupid or very ignorant honestly believes that China is going to take any military action against Japan at any point in the foreseeable future. Politicians in bother countries talk big to try and garner support from voters, but there isn't any real tension between the two countries that might result in military action. It's sort of like Russia/China and the US in that regard. And a large part of the tension between the countries is because of Japanese politicians who are terrible and either refuse to apologize for or flat out deny Japanese war crimes.

So, as I said, even at the very best it's comparable to American fiction where America is the protagonist and Russia/China/whatever is the antagonist (which is also always right-wing and terrible), but in reality it's far worse than this due to the history between the two countries. It's like if America killed millions of Russians ~70 years ago and someone wrote a book where America was fighting against the evil Russians.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

You're not exactly in a position to make fun of other people in this thread. You never did address the "it's hosed up for Japan to write fiction with China as an evil antagonist given the history between the two countries" point. A Chinese American poster even said "yeah, it's really insensitive/disrespectful." How exactly is it different from the "German protagonists fighting Jewish antagonists" comparison I made? Like I mentioned, the existence of (in the analogy) German Jew sympathizers doesn't exactly make things better.

If this show introduces some large faction of not-evil/stupid Chinese people, then I might reconsider (somewhat*). But as is it's seriously loving ridiculous.

*Even then it would just go from "holy poo poo this is awful" nationalism/racism to "bad American right-wing fiction where there are some good (insert enemy ethnicity) people."

It doesn't seem to matter who tells him what really. I'm a Korean dude who just said this is hosed up and it doesn't seem to matter. It's us that is overreacting and looking too deep into it

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Harime Nui posted:

Yeah, I doubt the author specifically had that moment in mind. It's just funny to me how quick and inconsequential the actual moments of battle we've seen are. The heroes always have an overwhelming advantage, the enemy is always rendered totally ineffectual (and they go out of their way to make the Japanese leader of Blanche a total wuss in contrast to our cool and methodical hero). I'm surprised this is as popular as it is when it's such a blatant power fantasy.

Oh, I'm sure it wasn't intentional. I just thought it was funny how they glorified attacking a helpless man with a sword.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

WickedHate posted:

Yes it is a terrible comparison - but only because Germany doesn't deny the Holocaust and has taken steps to make sure it's never forgotten.

On the other hand this really doesn't help portray Mahouka in a better light.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Oh, I'm sure it wasn't intentional. I just thought it was funny how they glorified attacking a helpless man with a sword.

If you look at it, basically

-Kenjutsu club leader proves he's emotionally unstable by attacking a woman because she had diluted the "purity" of her kendo techniques
-He asks to join the raid on the terrorists because he's personally angry
-He breaks into the terrorist lair after they've been disabled and their leader is lying helpless on the ground, and cuts off the man's arm.

Not only is he lauded for this, the woman he attacked starts dating him because he visited her in the hospital. I guess trying to hit someone in the face with a magic sword is a good way to show your devotion!

Add to that that the student council and other students were acting outside the law when they raided the terrorists, but nah the police won't treat the investigation as compromised let alone actually punish anyone for this. They were good citizens doing their duty!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You know? I'm starting to think that SAO wasn't “that bad”. Is this what it feels like when you realize that you're “slightly old for this poo poo”?

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

WickedHate posted:

It's not presented as a good thing.

I'm sure that keeps it from being a massive plothole.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Harime Nui posted:

If you look at it, basically

-Kenjutsu club leader proves he's emotionally unstable by attacking a woman because she had diluted the "purity" of her kendo techniques
-He asks to join the raid on the terrorists because he's personally angry
-He breaks into the terrorist lair after they've been disabled and their leader is lying helpless on the ground, and cuts off the man's arm.

Not only is he lauded for this, the woman he attacked starts dating him because he visited her in the hospital. I guess trying to hit someone in the face with a magic sword is a good way to show your devotion!

Add to that that the student council and other students were acting outside the law when they raided the terrorists, but nah the police won't treat the investigation as compromised let alone actually punish anyone for this. They were good citizens doing their duty!

Vigilante justice is cool, and good, if the people who are having brutal vigilante justice enacted on them have political viewpoints in opposition to my own.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Srice posted:

Vigilante justice is cool, and good, if the people who are having brutal vigilante justice enacted on them have political viewpoints in opposition to my own.

Or, you know, are terrorists that attacked a school with automatic weapons and RPGs.

No, their crime was totally having different political opinions.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Heck considering how they were able to easily magic away any possible damage from all those weapons they might as well have been attacking the school with squirt guns.

Actually, I guess if they fired squirt guns they could do more damage if that magic-technobabbly stuff happens to not be waterproof!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Mages can still be shot and blown up. You're really reaching to say the terrorists did nothing wrong.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
What's funny is if you have the ability to use magic, apparently you're automatically locked into either a military or infrastructure/technology career. Going to magic school is not optional. The student council raids the terrorist base by piling into a loving car and driving off. Shouldn't the magic schools be guarded, you know, so people can't run away/defect/doing exactly what the student council did? I find it hard to believe there aren't at least a few kids ready to run for the hills at the first chance.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Been reading through this thread. Thanks WicketHate, for being a very entertaining terrible poster.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

WickedHate posted:

Or, you know, are terrorists that attacked a school with automatic weapons and RPGs.

No, their crime was totally having different political opinions.

I'm going to sort of half-agree here. In the context of this show, the terrorist attack was more of a military action than a criminal one, and this school is basically just a military training camp. Even though it's a little weird, I don't think it's quite the same as them trying to inappropriately take vigilante justice. And it's not like vigilante justice is a foreign theme in action-packed fiction.

Him cutting off the guy's arm after he was defeated was pretty much unequivocally hosed up though. The same goes for a lot of the other injuries inflicted, given that the enemies didn't really have the power to oppose them in any way.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

WickedHate posted:

Mages can still be shot and blown up. You're really reaching to say the terrorists did nothing wrong.

What I'm saying is that those terrorists were not threatening by any stretch of the imagination. I cannot conceive of them being able to harm the students in any possible way. There was absolutely no tension at play at any time during this arc because literally anybody can wave their hand to immediately disable every terrorist in the vicinity. The students are all supermen and the terrorists were as weak and helpless as newborn kittens.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
To be fair Srice, in the background you see a few of the nameless extra students get whacked with batons. See, it's only the cool elite (and rich) students who can effortlessly blow through a squad of gunmen, the rest of the suckers get to flounder for a few years in a horrible school system before going on to magically spot-weld gun parts or whatever the gently caress they're going to do. But it's a necessary sacrifice to keep Japan competitive with the continentals! :japan:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Kirihara is definitely a weird character and I find his "Her sword was impure so I tried to kill her, now I chop off limbs as expressions of love to her" stuff as weird as anyone else. On the other hand, the victim of said limb chopping deserved it, but it's still weird.

Harime Nui posted:

To be fair Srice, in the background you see a few of the nameless extra students get whacked with batons. See, it's only the cool elite (and rich) students who can effortlessly blow through a squad of gunmen, the rest of the suckers get to flounder for a few years in a horrible school system before going on to magically spot-weld gun parts or whatever the gently caress they're going to do. But it's a necessary sacrifice to keep Japan competitive with the continentals! :japan:

Leo, Erika, and Mizuki aren't rich or elite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nameless shmucks getting minor injuries? Dang, I gotta do a few calculations and...

Well, that moves them just a tiny bit closer to being as credible a threat as Team Rocket.

• Locked thread