Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will you be voting for?
A Liberal
A Progressive Conservative
A New Democrat
A Comedy Option
View Results

• Locked thread
MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Solis posted:

Is there no question Tim didn't have a down-home folksy anecdote about?

Man he's really going all out on the Gipper's play book, huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
He's learning.

It's the Rob Ford principle, there's no shortage of people who will vote for a "down to earth" good ol' boy, especially when he's promising to save them money. No matter how little his plan has in common with reality, it just makes "gut" sense, and that's good enough.

A folksy, plain talkin' man will way out populist Horwath any day.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Well no one I know even watched, or even knew the debate was on, so I could hardly imagine this changes anything

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Funkdreamer posted:

Who cares? The article was basically accurate.

And applying a likely-voter model isn't "unskewing". That's idiotic. EKOS is going to shift to a likely-voter model for their next poll.

Karl Rove may sometimes write an article that is "basically accurate" but you shouldn't pay attention because he's simply going to slant things in his party's favour. Same here. Taking something basically correct and then spinning it to make your party look good isn't journalism. It's lovely punditry.

Yes, PCs are doing better among likely voters. But the writer of the article picked a poll that had the conservatives getting 41% among likely voters, which is the highest number I've seen. All the polls show the PCs having an edge, but not nearly that big of an edge. More like 36-33 than 41-29.

Here are ThreeHundredEight's projections immediately following that poll: http://politics.theglobeandmail.com/2014/05/30/latest-vote-projection/

And here they are today, just a couple of days later: http://www.threehundredeight.com/

Whether threehundredeight know what they're doing or not, you can see that the newest evidence has caused them to revise their projections back to roughly where they were before that poll. Was it an outlier? I don't know - I'm not an expert, but people who look at polls professionally seem to think it was. Either way I'm sure as hell not going to take some PC crony's word for it. I'd rather read an article like this where they talk about some of the issues around polling without spinning it into some moronic "Wynne is TOAST! ha-HA!" cheerleading bullshit.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Jimbozig posted:

Whether threehundredeight know what they're doing or not
Yeah you could have stopped right here. Threehundredeight as far as I know is just one guy, who demonstrably does not know/never has known what he is doing, he's got a lot more in common with Dean Chambers the guy who coined unskewing than some PC hack who happens to pick the poll he likes for obvious reasons, although to be fair to Dean Chambers I think he did admit he was wrong once.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

So Hudak is taking a play out of Grover Norquist's book now, loving :laffo:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-votes-2014/ontario-election-tim-hudak-would-force-cabinet-to-sign-oath-to-ontario-1.2663402

quote:

Hudak says all cabinet members would have to sign an "oath to Ontario" guaranteeing they will respect taxpayer dollars, reduce red tape and never raise taxes.

(In fairness it does say "without seeking explicit approval of the voters of Ontario" -- as if anyone will ever vote to raise taxes on themselves).

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

colonel_korn posted:

So Hudak is taking a play out of Grover Norquist's book now, loving :laffo:

(In fairness it does say "without seeking explicit approval of the voters of Ontario" -- as if anyone will ever vote to raise taxes on themselves).

I want to see someone get the explicit approval of the voters of Ontario to disrespect taxpayer dollars. Maybe a Rhino party candidate can run on a Fritter and Waste platform.

Also, this will be pure gold when the deficit spikes due to the massive increase in unemployment under an OPC government and they're left with the option to raise taxes or go bankrupt.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I was unable to watch the debate, but I hear that it was basically Hudak and Horwath mostly-ineffectually attacking Wynne the entire time. Is that more or less accurate?

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Hudak won the debate, easily. Obviously he's wasn't going to convince me or most of the people in this thread to vote for him but he catered to his base quite well without any of the normal Hudak slips that end up alienating his soft supporters.

Wynne spent half the debate apologizing and didn't get much of anything done the rest of her time.

Horwath had a strong first half, scored a few zingers on Hudak and definitely stuck the knife into Wynne. Awful close.

Ipsos did a flash poll, the top line numbers are probably garbage but the way the numbers moved from who people thought was going to win to who people thought did win really does tell the tale of the debate.

Who won the debate?

Hudak -36%
Wynne -27%
Horwath -26%

Who do you think will win the debate?

Hudak -24%
Wynne -32%
Horwath -17%

FowlTheOwl
Nov 5, 2008

O thou precious owl,
The wise Minervas only fowl
From what I heard on the radio, it seemed like Wynne got a bad start out the gate, then continued to get stomped by the other two. I didn't really expect much different, that is what Hudak and Horwath have been doing most of the campaign and Wynne doesn't seem to have a counter for that.

I thought it was interesting that Hudak was trying to distance himself from the job cuts and was talking about supporting EA positions. So is he going to scrap the bulk of his job cuts or are they from somewhere else?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

FowlTheOwl posted:

From what I heard on the radio, it seemed like Wynne got a bad start out the gate, then continued to get stomped by the other two. I didn't really expect much different, that is what Hudak and Horwath have been doing most of the campaign and Wynne doesn't seem to have a counter for that.

I thought it was interesting that Hudak was trying to distance himself from the job cuts and was talking about supporting EA positions. So is he going to scrap the bulk of his job cuts or are they from somewhere else?

third option: he's lying

dataisplural
Oct 27, 2013

a stream of poo and urine
fourth option: my daughter, miller,

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Kathleen Wynne posted:

“All Ontarians have a right to expect ethical behaviour from your leaders,” Wynne said. “There was public money that was wasted in those decisions and that shouldn’t have happened. And in the process, the public good was sacrificed in partisan interests.

I can't believe she admitted that. I don't think the debate itself will change much but I'm amazed that Hudak actually put on a decent performance.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Ikantski posted:

I can't believe she admitted that. I don't think the debate itself will change much but I'm amazed that Hudak actually put on a decent performance.

Yeah, she should have just told a story about how her grand pappy lost the family gas plant during the great recession, like an honest politician.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

JoelJoel posted:

Yeah, she should have just told a story about how her grand pappy lost the family gas plant during the great recession, like an honest politician.

Yeah, he's always cringe worthy but he dialed it down a bit and managed to look better than the other two clowns. NDP and Liberals are busy talking about how much they won the debate while Hudak pushed the attack and put up a compilation of Wynne apologizing for scandals.

They obviously had this ready to go as soon as the debate was over but it looks a little delusional when most media is reporting that Hudak won by a large margin.

I shared the NDPs to make sure it wasn't broken. The social media people should probably just take that down.

dataisplural
Oct 27, 2013

Ikantski posted:

I shared the NDPs to make sure it wasn't broken. The social media people should probably just take that down.

aw dang, it's up to like 250 now. sharen's got the right idea though

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

quote:

In Vaughan this morning, Kathleen Wynne said that if Tim Hudak’s Progressive Conservatives win a plurality of seats in a minority legislature, she’ll let them govern rather than try to team up with Andrea Horwath’s New Democrats to hold on to government.
http://politics.theglobeandmail.com/2014/06/04/kathleen-wynne-shoots-down-liberal-ndp-coalition/

dataisplural
Oct 27, 2013

Hudak is going to win the election

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

With the Liberal's track record of election promises, this means you can safely bet your house there'll be a coalition. There's no advantage to committing to a coalition now and there's no repercussion if she has to make the tough decision to do everything in her power to protect the children.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ikantski posted:

With the Liberal's track record of election promises, this means you can safely bet your house there'll be a coalition. There's no advantage to committing to a coalition now and there's no repercussion if she has to make the tough decision to do everything in her power to protect the children.

It's not even this. She can easily give him a chance to govern by letting the PCs form a government and put forward a budget, and when Hudak proposes the Million Jobs Plan if neither she nor Horwath is willing to support it then what alternative is there but another party taking over, hold another election?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

vyelkin posted:

It's not even this. She can easily give him a chance to govern by letting the PCs form a government and put forward a budget, and when Hudak proposes the Million Jobs Plan if neither she nor Horwath is willing to support it then what alternative is there but another party taking over, hold another election?

I guess the difference would be letting the PCs burn the province to the ground for a year vs having a Liberal/NDP coalition democratically govern for 4?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I want a Liberal minority that leads to a NDP-PC coalition. Only way to ensure the job creators get what they need to job all the jobs.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
our benevolent job creators will never stand for such a clearly inefficient, red tape filled bureaucratic coalition

unless we appease them with our sacrificial tax dollars showered down from the heavens

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Wynne can just say she means she'll let Hudak try to form government first, but she is making one of the hardest political manoeuvres that much more difficult. I don't get what advantage she gains from the statement, voters being afraid of a Liberal-NDP coalition doesn't make any sense her entire governing record was under a de facto coalition.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

DynamicSloth posted:

Wynne can just say she means she'll let Hudak try to form government first, but she is making one of the hardest political manoeuvres that much more difficult. I don't get what advantage she gains from the statement, voters being afraid of a Liberal-NDP coalition doesn't make any sense her entire governing record was under a de facto coalition.

There's a difference to be drawn between a minority government that can appeal to either of the other parties for help in passing legislation depending on what is in that legislation, and a formal coalition with an agreement involving joint decision-making. A Liberal-NDP coalition would give the NDP a lot more power than an NDP-supported Liberal minority, with cabinet positions and more input on the details of laws.

Since the election was first called, it seemed that a slim PC minority leading to a Liberal-NDP coalition was basically the only way Horwath could come out ahead from this election. A Liberal or PC majority would be worse for her, while another Liberal minority would just be continuing the status quo. It seems to me that the whole point of having this election is that Horwath wants the PCs to do well, but not too well. Unless she actually thought she could win (how??).

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
So there have been two polls since the debate:

threehundredeight.com posted:

Two polls were conducted just after the debate was over: one by Ipsos Reid for CTV and CP24, surveying 1,765 Ontarians online who watched the debate, and the other by Forum Research for the Toronto Star, surveying via IVR 307 Ontarians who watched the debate. They came up with broadly similar results.

On who won the debate, Ipsos gave it to Hudak with 36%, followed by Wynne at 27% and Horwath at 26%. Forum also gave it to Hudak with 33% to 28% for Wynne and 20% for Horwath. Considering the margins of error those are virtually identical.

Forum asked people how they intended to vote before the debate and if that changed after the debate. They found gains for both the PCs (four points) and the Liberals (three points), with drops by the NDP (three points) and the Greens (four points). If the debate made the race more of a two-horse contest, this makes sense.

Ipsos asked whether the debate improved or worsened the opinion they held for the leaders. It was a mixed bag for Hudak, with 40% saying it improved their opinion of him and 34% saying it worsened it. It was a worse night for Wynne, with only 24% improving their opinion and 43% worsening it. By this measure, Horwath had the best performance with 54% saying it improved their opinion of her and just 15% saying it worsened it. However, only 13% of respondents said the debate changed their mind when it came to who they would vote for.

Who was the most likable? Forum's respondents said it was Horwath by a whisker, at 33% to 29% for Wynne and 28% for Hudak. Ipsos gave it to Horwath by a much larger margin, with 43% to 26% for Wynne and 25% for Hudak. Who made the best points and had the best ideas and policies? Both Ipsos and Forum gave that to Hudak.

But Forum asked one question that was quite interesting, in terms of whether respondents believed the leaders. Was Wynne's promise of an Ontario retirement plan believable? 43% said yes, 49% said no. What about Horwath's promise to lower auto insurance rates? 41% thought it was believable, 50% thought it wasn't. And Hudak's Million Jobs Plan? Just 27% thought it was believable, against 69% who thought it was not. As Hudak spent much of the night talking about his plan, that could be problematic.

On the other hand, when Ipsos asked respondents who was best on various issues, Hudak topped the list on the economy, taxes, debt/deficit reduction, and accountability. Horwath was favoured on health care, the environment, and social services. Wynne placed in the middle of the pack on most of these issues, perhaps understandably for a nominally centrist party. But it does suggest that the Liberals are lacking an issue that works for them.

Based on all of these debate numbers, what can we take from it? It does seem that Hudak did do himself well, and stands to benefit from his performance. Horwath did not impose herself very forcefully (only 22% told Ipsos she sounded and acted like a premier, compared to 37% for both Hudak and Wynne), but she was likable. And Wynne did alright with a middling performance. For the incumbent, that may be enough. But we will see in the coming days if Hudak has indeed improved how the electorate sees him and his party.

This basically matches my own impressions when I was watching the debate. Wynne underperformed, tended to rattle off lists of figures and seemed unsure of how to deal with the record of the McGuinty years. I thought Horwath did alright, maybe better than these numbers would suggest, but she spent all her time attacking Wynne so she really didn't come off as Premier material. She came off as an opposition leader, not someone pushing their own vision.

Hudak had the best performance, though I admit I had trouble fully judging that because I'm so far removed from the kind of person Hudak apepals to. Still, he did a good job of pushing a narrative rather than rattling off a laundry list of policies like Wynne or spending too much time relentlessly attacking, like Horwath. Hudak may be a snake oil salesman and he may have been a little robotic at times but he got out his message. Then again, as those polls show, people still don't buy his Million Dollar Jobs plan.

I really wonder if this will have any impact on the race. I doubt many people tuned in and it doesn't seem like there were any knock out blows. If anything I think Wynne may inadvertently benefit insofar as a handful of progressive swing voters may be so terrified of Hudak now that they're going to vote strategically. That might even be part of the reason Wynne has promised she won't enter a coalition with the NDP.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Jimbozig posted:

There's a difference to be drawn between a minority government that can appeal to either of the other parties for help in passing legislation depending on what is in that legislation, and a formal coalition with an agreement involving joint decision-making. A Liberal-NDP coalition would give the NDP a lot more power than an NDP-supported Liberal minority, with cabinet positions and more input on the details of laws.

Since the election was first called, it seemed that a slim PC minority leading to a Liberal-NDP coalition was basically the only way Horwath could come out ahead from this election. A Liberal or PC majority would be worse for her, while another Liberal minority would just be continuing the status quo. It seems to me that the whole point of having this election is that Horwath wants the PCs to do well, but not too well. Unless she actually thought she could win (how??).
A formal coalition would never be the stronger party's first choice, the only way that would happen is if the smaller party wield's enough leverage to make it a necessity, in Ontario in practice that makes it a virtual impossibility since the Liberals know there is no way the NDP could prop up a Hudak government. It does become a slight possibility if they are the second and third place parties only because such a risky maneuver is only really worth the subsequent heat if you can guarantee a working government for a couple of years.

Of course there's a lot of room for negotiations between the Liberals and the NDP in what they might be able to negotiate that falls short of positions in Cabinet.

I think your psychoanalysis of Horwath is more than a bit off, of course she thinks she can win somehow, she's at 20% in the polls she'd only need to move 15% of the province to win, it's not like she's the Green Party. Her problem I think is she's concentrating on growth outside of Toronto, particularly in the South West where she's from. It's been a rewarding strategy for the past couple of years, the party has increased the size of it's caucus considerably, but of course no left-wing party is going to be able to govern Ontario without Toronto.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I guess you're right, but I still don't get how anyone who is that high up in politics thinks that they're going to get a 15% bump while promising so little.

Yeah we'll govern pretty much the same as the Liberals but with a bit less corruption and a bit more tax breaks for car owners.

Like, okay, that doesn't sound AWFUL. Less corruption would sure be nice. But it's not going to generate a huge NDP wave either - they were 15% behind after people already knew about the gas plants. Whatever bump the gas plants gave them was already worked into the polls and they needed to grab 15% on top of that. I'm just wondering where she thought that 15% was going to come from.

Hudak at least knows that if you want to change people's entrenched opinions you have to promise big. He's promising the moon, and if he was credible he'd be a shoo-in. The fact that his plan is obvious BS is why he hasn't succeeded in gaining as much ground as I think he hoped to gain.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Hudak also has the biggest war chest and his operation is anything like (or being directly assisted by) the Federal Conservatives he'll have the most sophisticated voter database, but even he is going to have a very hard time moving enough Ontarians from their entrenched positions to form a majority. Vis-a-vis big promises he also has one huge advantage in that he has nothing to lose, if he doesn't deliver a government to the PC's he is 100% out on his rear end. The Ontario NDP was out in the wilderness so long that if Horwath keeps incremental growth going her leadership is probably secure.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
On a phone, otherwise I'd link but seriously gently caress the Sun. Their editorial cartoon today is rage inducing.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

On a phone, otherwise I'd link but seriously gently caress the Sun. Their editorial cartoon today is rage inducing.

Jesus Christ. Who the gently caress thought this was a good idea?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

vyelkin posted:

I don't know, but I'm sure the comments will be very interesting.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

They're actually pretty much exactly what you would hope for.

Thomase
Mar 18, 2009
:smug: look at those whiny liberals - Donato :smug:

dataisplural
Oct 27, 2013

Tim Hudak Beats Woman

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I would love it if that dumb cartoon tanked Hudak's approval in the GTA. That's not going to happen, though. Well, unless Hudak decides to come out and defend it for some inexplicable reason.

On the other hand, who even knows where the Sun's editorial cartoons are buried. They might be squeezed into the mushy middle, between the hilarious pun headlines (or paid advertisement front page) and the Sunshine Girl in the back.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Doesn't look like that it will be too hidden:

https://mobile.twitter.com/sladurantaye/status/474609299029635072

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
So Hudak finally made it clear he wouldn't fund Phase 2 of Ottawa's LRT plan. The part that would actually link, say, the airport to the system. Or the eastern suburb of Orleans.

He probably just lost a hell of a lot of votes around here for that.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

vyelkin posted:

Guys, don't worry, that's not Wynne. It's just sanctioning violence against any one bespectacled who would vote for her. See? Not offensive at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
If Wynne complains about that cartoon being anti-women or pro-domestic violence I am going to go fire her media relations team personally.

• Locked thread