Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Man, that was one uncomfortable appearance by Todd Barry on Ron and Fez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

AndrewP posted:

Man, that was one uncomfortable appearance by Todd Barry on Ron and Fez.

Details?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Stokes posted:

Details?

Todd Barry was on to promote his Crowd Work special. They decide to take a left turn and play a clip of Glenn Beck talking about how his father was raped multiple times, which really wasn't funny of course, and Todd Barry was just confused and clearly not into it joking around about it. Actually I thought Barry had left because Ron, Chris and Fez were talking for about 10 minutes afterward (though they finally asked him a question).

Ron asked him if he could hang out after the break and he declined.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Those are two subjects that if you say the wrong thing can be really bad.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Glenn Beck has a father? I thought he was sort of...spawned out of a vat of bile and pus.

ChristianDB
Jun 29, 2008

AndrewP posted:

Todd Barry was on to promote his Crowd Work special. They decide to take a left turn and play a clip of Glenn Beck talking about how his father was raped multiple times, which really wasn't funny of course, and Todd Barry was just confused and clearly not into it joking around about it. Actually I thought Barry had left because Ron, Chris and Fez were talking for about 10 minutes afterward (though they finally asked him a question).

:drat:

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

AndrewP posted:

Yeah, i'm listening to this now and it's not even remotely funny despite Ron's attempts to rip on it.

Presume he only did it because Glenn is an evil conservative type and Ron still wants it to be the hip-and-groovy seventies and this is an embarrassing, feeble attempt to stick it to the man.

Fair fucks to Todd Barry for basically leaving in disgust.

spudsbuckley fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 2, 2014

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
The best part of the Todd Barry segment is that it somehow devolved back into this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc_avhLQoeM

Goddamn Fez is radio gold. This live read is right up there with Stand Alone Fruit and Cookie, Cookie.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

spudsbuckley posted:

Yeah, i'm listening to this now and it's not even remotely funny despite Ron's attempts to rip on it.

Presume he only did it because Glenn is an evil conservative type and Ron still wants it to be the hip-and-groovy seventies and this is an embarrassing, feeble attempt to stick it to the man.

Fair fucks to Todd Barry for basically leaving in disgust.

I imagine Ron may have seen Glenn Beck as fair game since his show was making fun of rape victims a few days before he told the story of his dad being raped as a "some of my best friends are black" style excuse to justify his previous actions.

Also gently caress Glenn Beck.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

To be fair, Todd was being a pretty awful guest up until that point. I don't blame Ron for trying to shake things up, even though it was a pretty weird choice of clip to riff on.

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006
A guy named Todd going on Ron and Fez to promote a show where he doesn't prepare any material and winds up getting uncomfortable and leaving is the most fitting thing that's ever happened.

Goose42
Dec 30, 2002

ozza posted:

To be fair, Todd was being a pretty awful guest up until that point. I don't blame Ron for trying to shake things up, even though it was a pretty weird choice of clip to riff on.

Todd has a history of being a pretty bad interview. Ever see him with Seinfeld on Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee?

Almost think they did it to him because they knew he wasn't going to come with much.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

My kids were watching that Chipmunk movie this morning and I remembered another odd guest was David Cross. I remember even way back on Howard Stern he's very odd in studio, but the littlest thing he'll go off on and get very defensive. I recall he got very standoffish with Ron because Ron suggested he was complaining about the cold air in the studio. I always enjoy seeing David Cross on TV/movies etc but always end up dissapointed when I hear him on the radio ... must not translate, or he's just a fiesty guy.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Goose42 posted:

Todd has a history of being a pretty bad interview. Ever see him with Seinfeld on Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee?

Almost think they did it to him because they knew he wasn't going to come with much.

By "did that to him" you mean ambush him with seemingly interminable rape accounts and expect him to find it funny?

It wasn't a good thing to do a segment on to begin with and I'm glad an outsider was there to emphasize that fact.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Today's show was a massive train wreck until Whoo kid and T.I. showed up and it went overtime.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Visidan posted:

Today's show was a massive train wreck until Whoo kid and T.I. showed up and it went overtime.

How so? didn't catch it.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Mic, headphone and phone trouble for the first 3 hours. Opie threw the wireless mouse at a window every time a call dropped until it broke, the replacement was a non-usb ball mouse from 90's that they needed to find an adapter for. They got everything fixed just in time for a Lady Di call.

Whoo kid showed up a few minutes before the show ended with T.I. and they went 50 minutes overtime, it was funny as hell.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell

Visidan posted:

Yeah that last hour with Who Kid and T.I. was fantastic. Although I liked the Lady Di call before that too.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Just heard the Todd Barry thing. Gotta say the thing seemed fine until he played that clip, that was a loving weird clip to play.

EDIT: Actually it seems like the part where Todd tapped out was when Ron started grilling Fez on wether all gay people are pedophiles. He hung in there quite a bit actually.

Caesarian Sectarian fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 3, 2014

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.

therealjon_ posted:

Just heard the Todd Barry thing. Gotta say the thing seemed fine until he played that clip, that was a loving weird clip to play.

EDIT: Actually it seems like the part where Todd tapped out was when Ron started grilling Fez on wether all gay people are pedophiles. He hung in there quite a bit actually.

I disagree, Ron was pulling teeth with Todd Barry before he decided to try a different approach to pull him in to the show by playing some audio from the daily audio pile that Hicks and Shelby finds.

Todd was stand off'ish already at the beginning of the interview and refused to do anything other than to plug his special. Just listen to the first few minutes of both comedian interviews on Monday to hear the difference.

If he doesn't want to associate with people who talk about rape in a comedic manner then he needs to immediately cut all ties with Louie CK.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Droopy Goines posted:

I disagree, Ron was pulling teeth with Todd Barry before he decided to try a different approach to pull him in to the show by playing some audio from the daily audio pile that Hicks and Shelby finds.

Todd was stand off'ish already at the beginning of the interview and refused to do anything other than to plug his special. Just listen to the first few minutes of both comedian interviews on Monday to hear the difference.

If he doesn't want to associate with people who talk about rape in a comedic manner then he needs to immediately cut all ties with Louie CK.

Barry just seems like the phone it in type as it is, so he isn't going to go out of his way to sound engaging on the radio. Literally it's the segment from the tv show Louie that they mentioned about his day to day as a late 40s single comedian.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Droopy Goines posted:

I don't neccessarily think he was stand off'ish he kinda rolled along with things, obviously not like Eddie Pepitone who came in chatting it right off the bat and had a good time and a fun conversation. I do agree though it started to feel like Ron was pulling teeth towards the end ... maybe that was his plan.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
My friends and I booked Todd Barry once, and after the show, we were shooting the poo poo at a bar, and he mentioned that he started stand-up in Northern Florida, and I asked if he knew Ron Bennington. He said, yah, why, do you know him? And I had to admit that I only knew him from the radio, and he said he'd like to catch up with Ron one day.

I had assumed they were old friends, but maybe not.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Ron getting worked up about Chrissie Hynde today was pretty much everything i dislike about him.

Sure Ron, she looks exactly the same as she did back in 1978 and is still even vaguely relevant to anyone other than you because everything was brilliant in the 70's and we all want to go back in time to then.

Seriously, Chrissie loving Hynde from the loving lovely Pretenders and he treats her like royalty? Jesus Christ dude, get a grip.

Paul Kersey
Oct 28, 2004

Having listened to the Todd Barry interview, I find it bizarre that he went completely silent. Somebody like Big Jay or Dan Soder would have rolled with it and spun gold out of that segment. As mentioned earlier, he was already phoning it in before Ron went to the Glenn Beck clip.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

spudsbuckley posted:

Ron getting worked up about Chrissie Hynde today was pretty much everything i dislike about him.

Sure Ron, she looks exactly the same as she did back in 1978 and is still even vaguely relevant to anyone other than you because everything was brilliant in the 70's and we all want to go back in time to then.

Seriously, Chrissie loving Hynde from the loving lovely Pretenders and he treats her like royalty? Jesus Christ dude, get a grip.

I don't understand why you dislike Rob because he likes things you don't? There's plenty of stuff he hypes up I have zero interest in but it doesn't make me like him any less.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
In order to be a radio host it's required that all music, art and movies end when you are 25.

My Nigga Totoro
Nov 14, 2007

by Lowtax

NarkyBark posted:

In order to be a radio host it's required that all music, art and movies end when you are 25.

what's that your phone cut out

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I think I like the shows where all of Opie's stuff quits working. It's funny to hear him smash poo poo and scream at Don Wicklin knowing that nothing ever gets fixed, no new studio is coming, and nothing will ever change. I think I like it for the same reason Jimmy likes it.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I actually enjoyed the weeks/months where they would start by bitching about the mics not working. I forgot if it was on terrestrial radio as well, but I certainly looked forward to it. Because it was less entitlement and more "What the gently caress is going on with this business/building?!"

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I remember those. Some of them were right at the beginning of their time at XM.

Speaking of XM, my free car trial is expiring this month. I'm willing to spend the 160 for two radios but not 1 for a year. Has anyone pulled that off?

Peter North
Apr 23, 2003

Visidan posted:

Mic, headphone and phone trouble for the first 3 hours. Opie threw the wireless mouse at a window every time a call dropped until it broke, the replacement was a non-usb ball mouse from 90's that they needed to find an adapter for. They got everything fixed just in time for a Lady Di call.

Whoo kid showed up a few minutes before the show ended with T.I. and they went 50 minutes overtime, it was funny as hell.

Reminds me of that observation Jim sometimes makes about how Ant and rappers both like guns, mansions, pools, fast cars, white girls, money.... maybe we're not so different after all, you and I... :3:

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no

Neodoomium posted:

Speaking of XM, my free car trial is expiring this month. I'm willing to spend the 160 for two radios but not 1 for a year. Has anyone pulled that off?

SXM customer service reps are more or less pushovers. They'll pretty much do anything to keep the subscriber numbers up. Just call and say you're thinking about canceling because it's too much money. Be chill with the rep and you'll most likely get a reduced rate or a few months free.*

*Not at all a guarantee, but I've had pretty good luck getting deals from SXM in the past.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

bigman.50grand posted:

SXM customer service reps are more or less pushovers. They'll pretty much do anything to keep the subscriber numbers up. Just call and say you're thinking about canceling because it's too much money. Be chill with the rep and you'll most likely get a reduced rate or a few months free.*

*Not at all a guarantee, but I've had pretty good luck getting deals from SXM in the past.

They pretty much keep you on a half rate basis if you call and threaten to cancel every time. I think it ends up being 35 for 5 months or something close to that each time.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Thanks. My plan was to tell them straight up: "I like your service, but I don't like it enough for 150 a year. If I can turn two radios on for that, sure. If not, I'll just cancel outright." Sounds like that's the way to go.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Visidan posted:

Overtime was great but I just can't get into Lady Di. She's had some funny moments but calls like today are killing her for me. She just rambled for half an hour and they didn't even get in good jokes at her expense. I wish they'd figure out quicker in a phone call that she has nothing to bring for that day and cut her short.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

The problem with Lady Di is you never know when you're going to strike gold, so the guys sometimes keep the conversation going far longer than necessary without anything funny happening. On the other hand, it's thanks to those conversations that we do get stuff like the heroin confession and the time the guys went silent and left her to her own devices (and Bill arguments). That squirrel attack while she was chugging on a Natty Ice was ridiculously hilarious.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Highly recommend the Jason Nash interview. He's a huge fan of the show and wanted to dive way into Ron and Fez' relationship, which Fez did not take well.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Yeah that was great, love the final few minutes and his pepper voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mousetrench
Apr 3, 2008

We need to paint inspirational murals in urban areas.
They got one here of a hotdog stabbin Ghandi while he's sittin on the toilet cryin.
It says "may ur dreams soar forever...."
Any Stern listeners know what the deal with this Hanzi guy is who called up O&A about 9/11? Is he doing a bit or is he legit crazy?

@ 24:50 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un8V-BmKOM8

• Locked thread