Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SlipUp posted:

anybody else notice the part where Jaime admits somebody tried to molest him as a child then laughs? nobody acknowledged it at all and the scene went on as if nothing happened. :stare:

Where he says "Maester Whatever? He tried to touch me!"? I noticed, but Jaime didn't seem too bothered by it.

I mean, given what the show has shown us, that's pretty tame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Blazing Ownager posted:

Are you about to pitch another bank loan for Stannis? That's pretty much The Onion Knight's entire argument.

The thought of Stannis being king with Melisandre still in the picture is really depressing. Unless it means his daughter inherits the throne because that would be pretty sweet.

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!
What do folks see in Stannis? He's the most humorless, uncharismatic, dour individual, not mention his running mate is a pyrophilic, religious fanatic. I anticipate the day when Melissandre finally turns on him.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

BubbleGoose posted:

What do folks see in Stannis? He's the most humorless, uncharismatic, dour individual, not mention his running mate is a pyrophilic, religious fanatic. I anticipate the day when Melissandre finally turns on him.

He's the only actual legit King

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

BubbleGoose posted:

He's Just which is worth +10 opinion. He's also the only person who actually seems to give a poo poo about doing his drat job, seeing as he listened to Castle Black's call for help when nobody else was.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

BubbleGoose posted:

He seems to actually believe in institutions and servicing responsibilities as opposed to just using them to achieve personal goals like wealth, power and an unlimited supply of hookers to mutilate.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

BubbleGoose posted:

My opinion of characters is based on the quality of the scenes they're in: Barristan is probably cool but he's boring in my brain because all the dany scenes are boring, similarly Stannis is probably awful but since Melisandre's scenes are rad that makes him rad by association.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The sacrificial burnings are a problem.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Dangersim posted:

The point is he wants her, this isn't hard

But you know what is? :pervert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

BubbleGoose posted:

He's uncompromising and pragmatic, which gives him a certain odd appeal. I admit I get a lot of humor out of his stony-faced and resentful accommodations to his religion, but I also think he might be one of the few people who could actually make changes for the overall betterment of society if he was King.... if every single corrupt or greedy bastard in the Kingdom didn't assassinate him before he had a chance to enact his policies. Not to mention Melisandre being probably even more dangerous if she continued to hold a high position, which I imagine she would as he'd probably make her high priestess of the new mandatory religion of Westeros.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Lycus posted:

The sacrificial burnings are a problem.

A problem, or an opportunity? :supaburn:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Alan Smithee posted:

Davos maybe. Sure as hell not Stannis

Davos believes in Stannis, that should be good enough for you :colbert:

Alberto Basalm
Nov 14, 2005

BubbleGoose posted:

He's a loving pimp with an aesthetic that I really like and I think his Lord of Light powers are really cool, also he has the legitimate claim (in my eyes) and I really like his actor

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

So can we assume that Stan still plans to take his new army up to the wall to reinforce the Night's Watch because I'd pay to see that

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
Was The Mountain re-knighted at some point after Ned stripped him of all titles etc. by law? (Rewatching first season)

Alberto Basalm
Nov 14, 2005

ironlung posted:

So can we assume that Stan still plans to take his new army up to the wall to reinforce the Night's Watch because I'd pay to see that

I keep expecting that to happen since that's what was implied in last season's finale. Also, this is a technical? lore spoiler because it was only really referenced in the HBO extras "The History of Westeros" (I'm not a book reader) Stannis' entire island has only one resource: dragonglass, which is what Sam killed the White Walker with. So it would make sense for Stannis to go north with a badass army of zombie killers.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Vehementi posted:

Was The Mountain re-knighted at some point after Ned stripped him of all titles etc. by law? (Rewatching first season)

I imagine that was done when Tywin (or Tyrion, I forget who) canceled the bounty on his head.

Curtis of Nigeria
Jan 9, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

He's uncompromising and pragmatic, which gives him a certain odd appeal. I admit I get a lot of humor out of his stony-faced and resentful accommodations to his religion, but I also think he might be one of the few people who could actually make changes for the overall betterment of society if he was King.... if every single corrupt or greedy bastard in the Kingdom didn't assassinate him before he had a chance to enact his policies. Not to mention Melisandre being probably even more dangerous if she continued to hold a high position, which I imagine she would as he'd probably make her high priestess of the new mandatory religion of Westeros.

Not to mention he had to be dragged away from the Battle of Blackwater, despite being heavily outnumbered, and oh yeah, defeated. He displayed a steel-resolve that was downright kingly.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

pfizerman posted:

That's dumb, on both counts. For one, don't trust anything Littlefinger says. His motivations are incredibly well hidden, to both show watchers and book readers. The only thing you can trust is that he wants undermine and destroy entrenched power. Chaos reigns. Second, Sansa's entire evolution has been from naive girl who worships the idea of royalty and nobility, to having the wool ripped from her eyes by a cynical burn victim, a gay knight, a monstrous queen, and a lunatic adolescent psychopath. To think she's still a "laa dee daa knights and fairies" idiot is to be completely blind to the most changed character over the course of the show.

Sansa fan club 4 lyfe

Not sure i agree with you, but i definitely like you.

You Stannis fools better recognize that might makes right and the Tyrells will win out over all opponents

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I kinda wanted Jorah to take Dany to task for being a hypocritical, vain blowhard who is not half as wise and just as she thinks, but Jorah's really not the character who's going to do that.

Sending Jorah away really seals it: Dany, who surrounds herself with people who have betrayed their liege lords for one justification or another, cannot reconcile with her most faithful and proven servant. She's become just as prideful as any of the characters we constantly see being brought low by their pride. Worse yet, she pretends at being virtuous. She's now surrounded by yes-men. Unlike the other storylines, it's more subtle and incredibllly drawn out, but there you have it.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

mclast posted:

You Stannis fools better recognize that might makes right and the Tyrells will win out over all opponents

lol hey buddy guess what happens to a field of flowers when you build a bonfire in it? :flame:

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I kinda wanted Jorah to take Dany to task for being a hypocritical, vain blowhard who is not half as wise and just as she thinks, but Jorah's really not the character who's going to do that.

Sending Jorah away really seals it: Dany, who surrounds herself with people who have betrayed their liege lords for one justification or another, cannot reconcile with her most faithful and proven servant. She's become just as prideful as any of the characters we constantly see being brought low by their pride. Worse yet, she pretends at being virtuous. She's now surrounded by yes-men. Unlike the other storylines, it's more subtle and incredibllly drawn out, but there you have it.

Barristan actually fought against Dany's family in Robert's Rebellion despite being sworn to defend the king, but hey let's let him on. Jorah tells Varys mostly useless bullshit and has a change of heart, then stymies an assassination attempt that he instigated. gently caress him, he's a traitor.

Dany's a pretty big moron.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jun 4, 2014

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
If Milesandre can be distracted for five minutes Stannis will be seduced and neutralized :smugbert:

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

lol hey buddy guess what happens to a field of flowers when you build a bonfire in it? :flame:

Barristan actually fought against Dany's family in Robert's Rebellion despite being sworn to defend the king, but hey let's let him on. Jorah tells Varys mostly useless bullshit and has a change of heart, then stymies an assassination attempt that he instigated. gently caress him, he's a traitor.

I thought barristan fought against robert? wasn't there a scene with him and ned stark talking about their mutual respect or something like that even though they were previously enemies? I can't believe I'm imagining all this.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

mike- posted:

I thought barristan fought against robert? wasn't there a scene with him and ned stark talking about their mutual respect or something like that even though they were previously enemies? I can't believe I'm imagining all this.

Yes. He fought against Robert and was given a royal pardon by Robert because he's an honorable badass and at the time was the best fighter in Westeros. The person you quoted is wrong.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

mike- posted:

poo poo, you're right. I was thinking of Stannis because he was going to stay loyal to the crown before Robert wore him down into helping him.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

I was kidding, but thinking it over, The Lannisters are realpolitik assholes but I like even them more than Stannis because he's feigning faith if it will get him power, and putting his feigned faith over his family.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
Stannis had a shot at being a decent king, but he sold out. You know he knows that burning those people was wrong. Westeros has allowed 3 religions to coexist for centuries (possibly millennia). But he did it for power, and sold any semblance of being a just king out the window. He can't win without Melisandre, and the price he paid was his honor (and his family's lives). That's why Davos challenges all those decisions: that honor is why he loves Stannis.

ironlung posted:

Yes. He fought against Robert and was given a royal pardon by Robert because he's an honorable badass and at the time was the best fighter in Westeros. The person you quoted is wrong.

the fact that he defended the Mad King should tell you all you need to know about listening to his advice. What will he do if dany goes that route? Nothing. gently caress Selmy, badass or not. Jaime Lannister had more honor, and Jaime Lannister tried to kill a kid.

Alberto Basalm posted:

I keep expecting that to happen since that's what was implied in last season's finale. Also, this is a technical? lore spoiler because it was only really referenced in the HBO extras "The History of Westeros" (I'm not a book reader) Stannis' entire island has only one resource: dragonglass, which is what Sam killed the White Walker with. So it would make sense for Stannis to go north with a badass army of zombie killers.

Does Stannis know that dragonglass can be used that way? Because otherwise, I can't imagine he'd bring a bunch with him

monster on a stick posted:

Except he kidnapped Ned's sister, which started this whole mess.

See, the reason I think it was kidnap was that Ned went with it. If she went willingly, and told the Starks, they might have handled it differently. Though I guess Ned went to war for the murders, not the "kidnap". I do hope Dany tries to be hit up the Starks for help, and they go, "uh, your dad killed our uncle and grandfather, gently caress off with your claim."

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jun 4, 2014

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

mclast posted:

I was kidding, but thinking it over, The Lannisters are realpolitik assholes but I like even them more than Stannis because he's feigning faith if it will get him power, and putting his feigned faith over his family.

I'm not sure he's feigning it anymore. He puts faith in what he sees, and he seems to honestly believe that the Lord of Light did great things for him. Granted, he delegates most of the mystic mumbo jumbo to Melisandre, but he also knows jack poo poo about it and probably doesn't see any need to since he's got her to do it for him.

He's also a lot more conflicted over family matters than Tywin. They both use family as tools in their own ways, but only one of them is willing to kill their disfigured child in order to serve their purposes.

At least, I loving hope so. :(

Bobo the Red posted:

Does Stannis know that dragonglass can be used that way? Because otherwise, I can't imagine he'd bring a bunch with him

I bet he's going to send Davos up to check out how poo poo's going at the Wall at some point, then Sam will have connected the dots for them because reading and thinking is really all he's good for.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 4, 2014

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

but only one of them is willing to kill their disfigured child in order to serve their purposes.

At least, I loving hope so. :(

The Lannisters are reliably untrustworthy. If Stannis sacrifices his daughter or Davos [and he's sacrificed his marriage already, yes?] it'll be drat near unforgivable. And if I'm remembering right, I'll take Davos' continued life as a sign of Stannis' lack of faith.

mclast fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 4, 2014

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

I bet he's going to send Davos up to check out how poo poo's going at the Wall at some point, then Sam will have connected the dots for them because reading and thinking is really all he's good for.

I was actually assuming they were all on their way up there right now (we last saw them preparing for a journey, and the Wall needs some serious help)

mclast posted:

The Lannisters are reliably untrustworthy.

See, that's the thing, are they? The incest thing is a deception, yes, but there's literally no out from that: any acknowledgment means Cersei, Jaime, Tommen and Mycella are dead. They absolutely must act like Tommen is the one that belongs on that throne, and in that frame, they're fairly reliable.

Cersei had nothing to do with the death of Jon Arryn. She hosed over Ned because she absolutely had to (and as someone explained earlier, from her perspective, Ned came to King's Landing and started going after her family), and the deception was actually all on Littlefinger. Robb was straight up their enemy, and, on Tywin's part, no deception was involved; Tywin was given an opportunity to solve a problem, and he took it. Tywin and Tyrion both tried to form alliances when acting as Hand, and as far as we know, kept (and will keep) to those. Tywin did betray the Mad King, as did Jaime, but so did Stannis, Renly, and the former Warden of the North, all men claimed to be far more honorable.

The only one who is untrustworthy is Cersei, mostly because she's kinda loving nuts, and turns on people she really doesn't need to. She's also the reason why all of the deception about the king is necessary.

I don't think the Lannisters are untrustworthy. What they are is loving ruthless. They will pay you back, so you better hope what they owe you is gold or good will.

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 4, 2014

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

same

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

mclast posted:

The Lannisters are reliably untrustworthy. If Stannis sacrifices his daughter or Davos [and he's sacrificed his marriage already, yes?] it'll be drat near unforgivable. And if I'm remembering right, I'll take Davos' continued life as a sign of Stannis' lack of faith.

Stannis's wife is into open relationships.

Yeah I wouldn't call Stannis a True Believer or anything, but he puts enough stock into the religion to make sacrifices he's clearly not comfortable with. I imagine he'll either reach his breaking point soon, or tumble into irredeemable territory.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Stannis's wife is into open relationships.

Is Stannis?

I imagine he'll either reach his breaking point soon, or tumble into irredeemable territory.

Agreed Davos is only going to do the right thing under Stannis' nose so many times before Stannis has to make a choice.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

She just wanted to finally get rid of the friendzoned neckbeard.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

BubbleGoose posted:

He's a sort of brooding middle-aged guy who keeps accomplishing incredible things only to see them taken away from him for one reason or another but rarely if ever as a consequence of his own actions. He marries the right person but can't bear a son. He wins difficult battles in the Rebellion and gets a dank lovely castle. He brings the noise at Blackwater only to lose through simultaneously Tyrell betrayal, Robb falling back, and Tyrion finding the Red Keep's WMD stockpile. So he's a bitter guy. He even falls for Mel only to learn she only ever wanted his Royal Fluids. So he's struck a deal with God to save the world and purge a lot of heretics if it means getting what he wants.

Alternatively, Stannis is basically Stalin. Meticulous, detail-oriented, acting in service of an ideology that is evidently Correct, and utterly ruthless and merciless in the pursuit of victory because he knows the consequences of a loss are too horrific to contemplate. He even likes the color red.

Finally the rest of Westerosi society is apparently so hosed up what's wrong with a pyromaniac, fundamentalist religion to clear out some of the deadwood?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Away all Goats posted:

Davos believes in Stannis, that should be good enough for you :colbert:

Also anyone else in this show would have drowned a deformed daughter, not let her live and actually care for her.

Stannis is awesome.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

precision posted:

Have you seen how Roose looks at that kid? He knows. He KNOWS.

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

I thought Stannis was a chode until Blackwater. You can't not-respect a dude who leads a siege from the front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

He's a sort of brooding middle-aged guy who keeps accomplishing incredible things only to see them taken away from him for one reason or another but rarely if ever as a consequence of his own actions. He marries the right person but can't bear a son. He wins difficult battles in the Rebellion and gets a dank lovely castle. He brings the noise at Blackwater only to lose through simultaneously Tyrell betrayal, Robb falling back, and Tyrion finding the Red Keep's WMD stockpile. So he's a bitter guy. He even falls for Mel only to learn she only ever wanted his Royal Fluids. So he's struck a deal with God to save the world and purge a lot of heretics if it means getting what he wants.

Alternatively, Stannis is basically Stalin. Meticulous, detail-oriented, acting in service of an ideology that is evidently Correct, and utterly ruthless and merciless in the pursuit of victory because he knows the consequences of a loss are too horrific to contemplate. He even likes the color red.

Finally the rest of Westerosi society is apparently so hosed up what's wrong with a pyromaniac, fundamentalist religion to clear out some of the deadwood?

The Tyrells didn't betray him. They were with Renly, and Stannis assassinated him (and Loras was the only one who actually cared enough about Renly to connect those incredibly obvious dots). The Tyrells took their ball and went home, where the phone just happened to be ringing.

Also, if he needed Robb, it hardly counts as bringing the noise.

That's the kinda funny thing, badass or not, Stannis, Renly, or Robb wouldn't have stood a loving chance against the Lannisters 1 on 1.

precision posted:

Also anyone else in this show would have drowned a deformed daughter, not let her live and actually care for her.

Stannis is awesome.

She looks like she has a skin disease. She could have gotten it recently. Westeros is hosed but there are probably tons of people not drowning their kids at the first sign of illness.

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jun 4, 2014

• Locked thread