Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

AtillatheBum posted:

Which shells in the belts are the Mineshot? Truth be told I just want be flying my P-47 and Mustang. Despite supposedly similar playstyles I just don't work well with these German planes.

20 and 30mm rounds with "Minengeschoss" in their name. The belts with the most are the Air Targets belt for 20mm, and Universal/Stealth for the 30mm.

While they have a similar overall playstyle - energy fighting/bnz, the way you go about it with German planes is quite different because they don't have the same very high speed control (at least in 109's).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

I love playing Domination maps, all the pubbies speedcapping invariably end up like this

Which is dumb because you can land at near breakup speeds as long as you give it a reasonably shallow approach and don't slam your gear into the ground like an idiot. 1-2 people on a team who know how to land well will almost guarantee a win on a domination map.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The card in the game says the mantlet is the same thickness as the front of the hull.

The Tiger's mantlet is 100mm thick in most areas, goes up to 150mm thick here and there (IIRC). What you have to keep in mind, is that the mantlet is there to protect the opening through which the gun is placed. There is no turret armor behind (most of) the mantlet.

Dezztroy fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jun 4, 2014

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

ghetto wormhole posted:

Which is dumb because you can land at near breakup speeds as long as you give it a reasonably shallow approach and don't slam your gear into the ground like an idiot. 1-2 people on a team who know how to land well will almost guarantee a win on a domination map.

In fairness it does also depend on the plane. I basically refuse to land in any spitfire or cobra due to the likelyhood of breaking the prop/front wheel.

Not that that excuses the average player in this game who thinks that lawndart = landing.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

AtillatheBum posted:

Despite supposedly similar playstyles I just don't work well with these German planes.

Heliosicle posted:

While they have a similar overall playstyle - energy fighting/bnz, the way you go about it with German planes is quite different because they don't have the same very high speed control (at least in 109's).

The German fighter playstyle focuses on strictly killing the poo poo out of other planes.

The USA fighter playstyle is more about endurance with huge ammo loads that can double as an equally good ground attack weapons. Both dogfight at their best at very high altitudes but because of the USA's versatility many inexperienced players will go for the easy ground targets while there is still an enemy threat in the air. Since altitude is essentially your lifebar this almost always ends in disaster.

While USA is a fantastic nation overall, I really wouldn't recommend playing them as your main focus anymore. This is mostly because of the matchmaker overpopulation and general pubbie nature of the players that play them. Just check out the American planes that can be found on other nations:
    :godwinning:/ :canada: CL-13 Sabre - actually better than the :911: one, making it the absolute best plane in the entire game in terms of raw performance. Available through regular F2P gameplay, no need for premium.
    :godwinning: P-47 Hitlerbolt - Instead of rockets/bombs you sometimes get an air start making this the closest you can get to "pay-2-win" in this game.
    :ussr: B-25 Mitchell - All the fun of a B-25 but you get to bomb other players in combined arms.
    :britain: F6F Hellcat - The Hellcat is one of the most OP planes for its rank on USA. The Brit one has a higher BR but is still loving badass because :radcat:
    :britain: Mustang w/cannons - It's a Mustang. With cannons.
    :ussr: PBY Catalina - Gigantic flying boat plane to harass lowbies with.
    :ussr: Kittyhawk - RedTailsBlackJesus.gif goes here.
    :ussr: Aircobras/Kingcobras - From what I've heard, Russia used more of these IRL than USA.
    :japan: F4U Corsair - The least popular plane but really great when flown properly. Fills a really good gap in its era on the Japanese tree as a pure BnZ fighter. It's worth noting that most people flying this are very experienced cyber-aces. Also, naval planes are automatically fun because they have tailhooks to land on carriers.

These are the loving best planes from :911: and I highly recommend investing in them so that you do not have deal with as many random shitlords for teammates. They also have cool paintjobs.

There's really not much reason to play USA beyond Era II unless you really seriously like the 'proper' P-51, F8F Bearcat, F9F Panther (which is the coolest looking plane in the game imo) and B-17/B-24 bombers or you don't want to spend any money on this awesome free game.

But you could throw a few Gold Eagles at one of the premium planes I listed above and level a different nation twice as fast while flying your favorite American plane and not be limited to pure energy fighting/bombing... that is unless your favorite plane is the Twin Mustang, in which case you probably should be flying USA. :patriot:

Thief fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jun 4, 2014

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Nickiepoo posted:

In fairness it does also depend on the plane. I basically refuse to land in any spitfire or cobra due to the likelyhood of breaking the prop/front wheel.

Not that that excuses the average player in this game who thinks that lawndart = landing.

Planes with airbrakes are pretty great for that. When I find myself down to my dive bombers in domination matches I usually just go for a straight dive towards the furthest airfield, coming in too fast for most defenders to do anything about it, and then pull the airbrakes right before the strip to manage a pretty point landing. You'll probably get shot up directly afterwards, but it's usually sufficient to maange to fully capture it, often making the difference.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
Invasion stripes or :frogout:
But I really couldn't be more at odds with your advice. The D Mustang is by far my favorite plane in the game both in looks and flight characteristics; it is just amazing to fly, you can just dive so incredibly well that as long as you have a tiny but of altitude no one can kill you. Six 50 cals while not terribly destructive are still satisfying as hell to shoot and they can get the job done in RB. I also play a lot in squads and am better than most players so the terrible american pubbies don't affect me too much. And yea, literally all but 1 of the planes you listed are premiums, and the one you didn't is at the end of its research tree. I can't say I'm opposed to flying good planes, but paying money for the 'Pay to Win" planes just isn't me. Maybe this makes me just as dumb as the pubbies but I play the game to have all the super cool planes I like and enjoy rather than the ones people deem 'Overpowerd'.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AtillatheBum posted:

Invasion stripes or :frogout:
But I really couldn't be more at odds with your advice. The D Mustang is by far my favorite plane in the game both in looks and flight characteristics; it is just amazing to fly, you can just dive so incredibly well that as long as you have a tiny but of altitude no one can kill you. Six 50 cals while not terribly destructive are still satisfying as hell to shoot and they can get the job done in RB. I also play a lot in squads and am better than most players so the terrible american pubbies don't affect me too much. And yea, literally all but 1 of the planes you listed are premiums, and the one you didn't is at the end of its research tree. I can't say I'm opposed to flying good planes, but paying money for the 'Pay to Win" planes just isn't me. Maybe this makes me just as dumb as the pubbies but I play the game to have all the super cool planes I like and enjoy rather than the ones people deem 'Overpowerd'.

Favorite and best are not mutually exclusive. It also just so happens that premium planes are some of the best planes due to favorable MM.

You might actually be as dumb as pubbies, but most of us are. Lets talk about how I would have won that match If I had the right ammo belt.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

The real reason like roughly 99.9% of the people play USA is because they think they still have the best jets. I'm just trying to help them not waste their time, only their money.

az
Dec 2, 2005

NickBlasta posted:

It's historical, the Tiger had a lovely mantlet. Later versions beefed it up a lot.

The Tiger used in the game is a mid production model with 200mm of mantlet, 100mm at the gunsight. These Tigers were produced from late 42 on.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Pretty sure it's because everybody are way more familiar with american planes from movies and just general history knowledge. B-17s, Mustangs, Corsairs, Thunderbolts, Lightning. It's also pretty great that they all look so vastly different. Jets are a cool extra.

There's dozens of Zeroes, 109s and Spitfires with only superficial changes like loadout and engine performance. They could and do perform vastly different but if they still look the same it's hard to get excited for some. Soviets have a good blend too but they're much less popular to the average joe then USA.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Are the servers down? I have been trying to log in for a bit and I keep getting "Failed to load player profile error" on PC.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yes, they are. They should come back online in about 15 minutes.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Zsinjeh posted:

Pretty sure it's because everybody are way more familiar with american planes from movies and just general history knowledge. B-17s, Mustangs, Corsairs, Thunderbolts, Lightning. It's also pretty great that they all look so vastly different. Jets are a cool extra.

There's dozens of Zeroes, 109s and Spitfires with only superficial changes like loadout and engine performance. They could and do perform vastly different but if they still look the same it's hard to get excited for some. Soviets have a good blend too but they're much less popular to the average joe then USA.

This is probably more accurate but holy poo poo the in-game chat in War Thunder is really something.

Thief fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jun 4, 2014

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Fauxtool posted:

Favorite and best are not mutually exclusive. It also just so happens that premium planes are some of the best planes due to favorable MM.

You might actually be as dumb as pubbies, but most of us are. Lets talk about how I would have won that match If I had the right ammo belt.
I never said they were, the Mustang is both my favorite plane and an incredibly good one. I'm just not interested in spending real money on planes whether or not they are good/bad. I have plenty of fun with the planes I have and its unlikely I'll ever even see a jet at this point since ground forces came out. I just like to get on and blast terrible video game music out of my speakers while I ram my plane into the ground at 900+km/h.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wow, get this: http://warthunder.com/en/news/635/current

The TL;DR of it is that they've seen a spike in SB players for planes, but only in Tank battles, to the detriment of Planes-only SB numbers. So...they're making it so SB planes are ONLY in Combined Arms now. :downs:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

He Said posted:

These are the loving best planes from :911:

You said posted:

But I really couldn't be more at odds with your advice. The D Mustang is by far my favorite plane in the game

You Said posted:

I never said they were, the Mustang is both my favorite plane and an incredibly good one. I'm just not interested in spending real money on planes whether or not they are good/bad. I have plenty of fun with the planes I have and its unlikely I'll ever even see a jet at this point since ground forces came out. I just like to get on and blast terrible video game music out of my speakers while I ram my plane into the ground at 900+km/h.

if you are going to disagree with the post you should be able to explain it. He said these are some of the best and you said no this is my favorite. Thats just going off topic

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jun 4, 2014

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Orange Mage posted:

Wow, get this: http://warthunder.com/en/news/635/current

The TL;DR of it is that they've seen a spike in SB players for planes, but only in Tank battles, to the detriment of Planes-only SB numbers. So...they're making it so SB planes are ONLY in Combined Arms now. :downs:

Its part of the plan they laid out in long ago so im not surprised, but im sure some people wont be happy about it.

Are any of you guys having much luck with playing AAA in SB? I cant help but feel they need to be better. More fire volume or some sort of air bursting flak. Personally I cant hit poo poo with them unless the plane dives on me specifically and then its a life trade.

It also says they are shutting down squad events for SB.
I dont get why they would shut down a service that is getting low traffic but consistently seeing use. Is bandwidth that expensive for them?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jun 4, 2014

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

That's great if they make sure to limit the daily events to things that aren't Germany vs Russia. People are going to start seeing summadat pilot poo poo going down from the silent cyber-aces that are too busy seal-clubbing everyone.

As for the squad events, they were hardly used across all game modes. That system is the first thing I've seen in game that's just failed entirely and it really has no reason to stay. Even if you get a squad together, you have to loving sit there and wait for another squad to organize and just so happen to que for squad events. I'd rather see them implement a perma-Floats! mode or some other gimmick for cartoon fun.

Fauxtool posted:

if you are going to disagree with the post you should be able to explain it. He said these are some of the best and you said no this is my favorite. Thats just going off topic

The funny thing is my post said that you should still fly USA if you really like P-51s and/or don't want to spend money on the game.

Thief fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jun 4, 2014

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Fauxtool posted:

I was saying that I had no interest in purchasing planes with real money, I didn't make that terribly clear but that was what I meant, and how is talking about my favorite plane in War Thunder off topic?

Thief posted:

The funny thing is my post said that you should still fly USA if you really like P-51s and/or don't want to spend money on the game.

To be fair you edited that in while I was replying.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

To be fair the only thing you're missing out on by not spending money on this game are some cool unique foreign/prototype planes. Well that and time because lol XP grinding.

The best thing about War Thunder is that it is not pay-2-win.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Thach's buffalo is P2W bullshit, actually.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Yes such cool and unique planes as "A Zero but an American star on the side, or Bf-109 but an American Star, a P-39 but the star is Red!, and a P-47 but with Swastikas and an overpowered Air Start." Look, I get that there are plenty of others that are actually unique and have their own thing going on but face it, *most* of those planes suck.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

More like the :france: D.520 and :australia: Boomerang/Wirray which own.

But I know that's not your thing so there's also the Assender UFO on :911: that you cannot afford and the BTD-1/XP-50.

And loving lol, the American Zero/Hien and German P-47s are the closest this game will ever get to actually being Pay-2-Win because of reasons that have been explained many times before so I won't bother typing about it.

Thief fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jun 4, 2014

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thief posted:

More like the :france: D.520 and :australia: Boomerang/Wirray.

But I know that's not your thing so there's also the Assender UFO on :911: that you cannot afford and the BTD-1/XP-50.

And loving lol, the American Zero/Hien and German P-47s are the closest this game will ever get to actually being Pay-2-Win because of reasons that have been explained many times before so I won't bother typing about it.

I have all of these planes and it makes me a better person than people without them. I enjoy being good at games, so they are vital to my enjoyment.

I paid money so that I win more.

im not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone, its just how i play

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jun 4, 2014

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Since when have T1 Pz4 and Stug rounds pierced T28 lengths of solid rock.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Thief posted:

More like the :france: D.520 and :australia: Boomerang/Wirray which own.

Key word being most.
I have said repeatedly that I don't care how good or bad the planes are, I'm not interested in paying money for them. Please understand that and stop trying to sell me pixels I don't want, I understand some are plenty good and in fact better than their counterparts. If I didn't know better I'd say you made a commission on any planes that sell.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

That is most of them. There's literally one I didn't mention. You're making GBS threads on the unique planes because they 'suck'. And the non-unique ones because they are reskins when that isn't even the reason why I was suggesting people get them.

I don't care if you don't spend money on this free game or that you only play USA. In fact, I prefer it that way. It's really cool that you only want to fly the P-51, they're great planes. But there's well over 100 different planes in this game and I intend on trying them all out for the sake of variety because this is largely an airplane game and I genuinely don't care if they are good or bad. I don't mind spending what ends up being the price of any other videogame to skip the grind.

Thief fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jun 4, 2014

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
What's the secret to killing T-34s with the MG151/15? Putting APCR rounds into the engine deck at a near 90 degree angle didn't do poo poo.

e: Oh, turns out the game decided to load the air targets belt instead of the armored targets, despite it being set to armored. :gaijin:

Dezztroy fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 4, 2014

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Other than getting lucky and setting the engine on fire you aren't gonna be able to do anything to them.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Thief posted:

That is most of them. There's literally one I didn't mention. You're making GBS threads on the unique planes because they 'suck'. And the non-unique ones because they are reskins.

I don't care if you don't spend money on this free game or that you only play USA. In fact, I prefer it that way. It's really cool that you only want to fly the P-51, they're great planes. But there's well over 100 different planes in this game and I intend on trying them all out for the sake of variety because I genuinely don't care if they are good or bad and I don't mind spending what ends up being the price of any other videogame to skip the grind.

You are happy that you found a fun way to play the game, I am happy to play the game in my way, perhaps we should just both be happy that the other can play the game in a way that makes them happy. Lets be happy. :downs:

And just so its clear, I don't play just Americans, this whole stupid conversation started because I wanted to better understand how to use the new German planes that I had dipped my toe into, and I'm also well into Tier 3 for British planes as they were my first faction. You are 100% correct that diversity is good and fun, just playing my P-51 would get boring fast.

AtillatheBum fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jun 4, 2014

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Are He-112s any good? They're so pretty and their historical limited production draws my aviation nerd interest. Based on some brief googling it seems like they are bad in a dive but turn fairly well.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Anthrovore posted:

Are He-112s any good? They're so pretty and their historical limited production draws my aviation nerd interest. Based on some brief googling it seems like they are bad in a dive but turn fairly well.

The ones with cannons are fine, I guess. I don't much care for them because of how incredibly slow they are, both in terms of climb and outright speed. They turn nicely though, and build energy in a dive just well enough while retaining control at low speed just well enough that they can keep bouncing on a number of other very low tier planes. If you get tiered against Hurricanes or biplanes, you'll be fine. A Buffalo that isn't a fool will wreck you.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Fauxtool posted:

Are any of you guys having much luck with playing AAA in SB? I cant help but feel they need to be better. More fire volume or some sort of air bursting flak. Personally I cant hit poo poo with them unless the plane dives on me specifically and then its a life trade.

AAA would be better if it had a proper AAA sight rather than the same sight everything else uses. The current one is just not real useful for determining range and speed.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I have fallen in love with my Panther. Not only does it kill stuff dead, but I just had a match where I popped 3 pubbie tanks that didn't realize that I was on the ridge beside them, before getting shot in the rear end by a T-34 that flanked around. I turned around but not before he killed my gun, so I did the only logical thing, I rammed him broadside and slammed him into a tree where he was pinned while an allied Stug shot him to death. My decal of a pegasus mounting a bear with a Russian flag on it is now very relevant.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
t4 matches early in the morning are pretty empty, but you can get bullshit games like this.
Soloed almost the whole AI team then went and killed the artillery while the remaining KT was on the other side of the map with no way to catch me.
I wish you could kill AI non-tank ground units by running them over and crushing them
0 player kills

Truly a point and click game

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 4, 2014

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

Anthrovore posted:

The matchups you get are full of really early stuff and even biplanes, so having a 20mm really wrecks poo poo. I love the last one with cannons and machineguns. Sure they're kinda slow and they wobble like a motherfucker if you mouseturn at all, but for the firepower you get and the alright diving it's totally worth it.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Jesus the T-34-85D-5 is a boring, slow loving tank. The whole 'russian lack of gun depression' seriously begins to gently caress you at this level. Yeah it kills poo poo fine but it feels like driving a heavy tank except you don't have the armor of a heavy tank and now it takes you a few extra seconds to pop in and out of cover and in RB that's more than enough to gently caress you thanks to the wonder-spotting.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
It's not any slower than other T-34s though. It also has excellent turret armor, so going hull-down can make you very hard to kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fart Car '97 posted:

Jesus the T-34-85D-5 is a boring, slow loving tank. The whole 'russian lack of gun depression' seriously begins to gently caress you at this level. Yeah it kills poo poo fine but it feels like driving a heavy tank except you don't have the armor of a heavy tank and now it takes you a few extra seconds to pop in and out of cover and in RB that's more than enough to gently caress you thanks to the wonder-spotting.

Am I imagining that the next t-34-85 seems to accelerate quicker? Or is the only real change that it get ACPR?
stat card says 1s faster reload is the main difference.

• Locked thread