Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Dezztroy posted:

It's not any slower than other T-34s though. It also has excellent turret armor, so going hull-down can make you very hard to kill.

Its max speed is on par with most T-34s, but it's 8000lbs heavier than the -34-57 and has only 50 horsepower more, which means in practical terms it's a lot slower. It also seems to shift gears a whole lot slower.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

Am I imagining that the next t-34-85 seems to accelerate quicker? Or is the only real change that it get ACPR?
stat card says 1s faster reload is the main difference.

The second T-34-85 gets APCR, reloads faster and has a faster turret rotation. It's a pretty minor upgrade in all.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fart Car '97 posted:

It's not any slower on paper, but its acceleration is poo poo compared to the -34-57, and it takes forever to shift gears comparatively as well.

Well you can look forward to the t-44 at least. I wasnt very excited at using the same gun over and over but after test driving it I noticed it can turn like a mofo. It turns very well at high speed and and can do a stationary circle in 8s. That doesnt sound great but compare it to t-34 before with a 17s time and its really quick. Make sure you are holding forward to turn faster.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 4, 2014

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Basically the T-34-57 was everything I expected a medium tank to be and going from it to the -85 feels like going from the best T3 tank to the worst.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fart Car '97 posted:

Basically the T-34-57 was everything I expected a medium tank to be and going from it to the -85 feels like going from the best T3 tank to the worst.

yeah everything after has penetrated less, reloaded slower and moved worse while panthers stay as hard to kill since your gun doesnt really get better

The is-2 is a game changer for Russia since it penetrates everything it sees frontally with ease.
If you somehow get super uptiered it can pen the turret ring of the jadgtiger too.
By then you are used to paper thin but faster than german heavies so its not so bad

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 4, 2014

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Fart Car '97 posted:

You'll have a better time in SB, thanks to no name tags. Even though Minimap spotting is a thing. But a better time doesn't mean: "lord of the ring". Which is what the T-34 57 is.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tank Boy Ken posted:

You'll have a better time in SB, thanks to no name tags. Even though Minimap spotting is a thing. But a better time doesn't mean: "lord of the ring". Which is what the T-34 57 is.

I dont get the reference. please explain it to me :downs:

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
T-34-85 is perfectly fine, it's just that T-34-57 is outright unfair.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

How is the 34-57 unfair? The Pz3M, PzIV F2/G, and StugF/Jagdpanzer are more than a match for it :confused:

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
I wouldn't call it unfair, it's just really, really good.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fart Car '97 posted:

How is the 34-57 unfair? The Pz3M/IV F2/G are more than a match for it :confused:

They can both kill each other, but only the 57 has the mobility and ability to snap shot so well. The guns are comparable in that they both shoot pretty flat, but the 57 does damage above what its shell size would indicate

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The -57 is more mobile, the German tanks get more reliable one-shot-kills all around (and generally better TDs). Seems like all is right at BR 3.7 to me.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 4, 2014

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Fart Car '97 posted:

How is the 34-57 unfair? The Pz3M, PzIV F2/G, and StugF/Jagdpanzer are more than a match for it :confused:

I wouldn't call it unfair but it's probably the best tank in that BR range by a long shot. It's got a gun that can murder anything it sees, is fantastically mobile, and is at least comparable in durability to its peers.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Fauxtool posted:

They can both kill each other, but only the 57 has the mobility and ability to snap shot so well. The guns are comparable in that they both shoot pretty flat, but the 57 does damage above what its shell size would indicate

And then you get to a tier where you have Panthers, Tigers against T-34/85s which are basically worse than them in every respect.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Here's a short lesson on how important shot placement is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB4NAwszHSo

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
T-34-85s can easily kill Tigers and Panthers by shooting their turret. Tigers and Panthers can easily kill T-34-85s by shooting their hull, the turret will regularly bounce 75mm L/70 rounds. The T-34 also has a higher RoF.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Fart Car '97 posted:

Here's a short lesson on how important shot placement is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB4NAwszHSo

I'm uncertain, are you being serious because he shot you in a poo poo place and you were able to react and wreck him? Or are you being sarcastic because you believe this is a point and click cartoon game and you just pointed and clicked and he blew up?

E: clarity

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

It is a Serious Vidtm. He shot me in a stupid place, and I turned and snap-shotted him right through the driver's gunner's (whoever's) slit. Make those shots count :eng101:

He had me dead to rights and instead died like a chump :c00l:

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 4, 2014

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
Also paint your tank bright yellow because its hard to aim when looking into the sun.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fart Car '97 posted:

It is a Serious Vidtm. He shot me in a stupid place, and I turned and snap-shotted him right through the driver's gunner's (whoever's) slit. Make those shots count :eng101:

that video is about shot placement being important. The enemy would have killed you if he aimed better

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

a quote is not an edit

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Okay cool. Sometimes it is hard to tell in this thread.

e: although admittedly, given that it wasn't posted by Thief or bUm I should have known better.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

FYI shooting in the slit can sometimes lead to unwanted complications.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Man if your tanks aren't all painted fuckoff bright/neon colors you can just :getout:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

I think that's why he missed. The tactical glare induced seizure is a valid defensive upgrade.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
dude that guy died irl of a seizure, not cool

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fart Car '97 posted:

Are we defining SNAP SHOT as an AIMED SHOT here? :)

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Fart Car '97 posted:

If only I could be so grossly incandescent.

Now I want a skin that has hatches drawn about six inches to the left and the outline of the others obscured by bright colors.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I'm going to paint false slits on the thickest parts of my armor.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

X-ray tank skin with skeletons for crew.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Stanley Pain posted:

My aim so good there's no difference :c00l:

Thief posted:

X-ray tank skin with skeletons for crew.

Only if the skeletons are glow in the dark green

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 4, 2014

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Thief posted:

FYI shooting in the slit can sometimes lead to unwanted complications.

You see Jimmy, when two tanks love each other very much, the daddy tank fires an APHE round into the mommy tank's driver slit. If they are lucky, some magic happens and the mommy tank gives birth to an explosion.

This is the magic of war.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Is there a trick to flying at low-altitude in RB? It seems like no matter what plane I'm in, the controls surfaces stop working as soon as I try and do a pass on a ground target. I've crashed while pointing up and away from the ground doing a good 400kmh because the plane just kept going straight.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
How low are you? What are you flying? How much time are you giving yourself to pull up?

A video might help.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Ground effect fucks with your control surfaces. True story.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stanley Pain posted:

Personally I wouldnt call that a snap shot. The tank was stationary while the turret was aiming. To me a snap shot is something where you peek over a hill or from behind a rock and shoot while the barrel is still bobbing. His crosshair was rock solid when he shot.

Both the t-34 and the f2 spend a similar time bobbing before the aim settles, but the oscillations on the f2 are way bigger.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
As it turns out, the "skins" for ground forces are basically just an image dropped on the model. Have a T-34 painted up like it was captured by the Luftwaffe:

e: make sure you rename the .tga or the folder WT creates, I just accidentally killed it trying to get a new blank square.

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 4, 2014

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

Dezztroy posted:

T-34-85s can easily kill Tigers and Panthers by shooting their turret. Tigers and Panthers can easily kill T-34-85s by shooting their hull, the turret will regularly bounce 75mm L/70 rounds. The T-34 also has a higher RoF.

the latter is far easier to do than the former. German tanks also have more than 0 gun depression which makes it far easier to bring the gun to bear in most encounters. Tigers suffer everywhere except kursk but otherwise era 3 is a blowout in favour of the germans solely on the back of the panther. It has a very very easy time scoring first shot kills against t34-85s and IS-1s while being frontally immune at mid distance and out.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wales Grey posted:

As it turns out, the "skins" for ground forces are basically just an image dropped on the model. Have a T-34 painted up like it was captured by the Luftwaffe:

Why did they paint it that way? I know the germans were stricter than some nations about marking the nationality of their equipment correctly, but what is neon yellow for?

I seem contrarian and extra argumentative today because I havent slept in 24 hours BTW, just ignore me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Another 'make your shots count' moment just now: I spawned and found myself camped by a tiger and a Panther. I shot the tiger through the machine gun port while I was immune, the second shot in the same spot finished him off. Then I turned and broke the Panther's barrel with one round and then wrecked his transmission with one to the lower glacis. He killed himself after that to spare himself the shame.

All in all I took 4 rounds at point blank from a Panther( which had me flanked) and a Tiger and only had one track go red. Literally all they had to do was put a single round mid-hull and it would have been over.

I have no idea how bad you have to be at this game to lose like that lol

• Locked thread