Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
shouldn't it be like, london or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Mido posted:

where does this opinion come from? this place owns

Nintendo Kid posted:

Portland needs non white people badly. I legit got uncomfortable when I visited Portland and there were only white people around 99 percent of the time

it comes from this. portland is like the blandest town. it has absolutely no personality. it is exactly what you would expect when a town is all boring white yuppies

like I picked on Detroit earlier but the city has a shitload of personality despite all of its problems. Portland has nothing

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mido posted:

i guess fischmech is calling NYC the capital of the world? is that the setup/joke?

Both the un hq and the most important business city and markets on earth. It's the capital of Capital and seat of world government.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Proteus4994 posted:

it comes from this. portland is like the blandest town. it has absolutely no personality. it is exactly what you would expect when a town is all boring white yuppies

like I picked on Detroit earlier but the city has a shitload of personality despite all of its problems. Portland has nothing

this is fair and i will concede it is whiteyville and it definitely suffers for it, i'd hesitate to say it has no personality though. i'm definitely not gonna live here forever that's for sure, just riding this startup out until it implodes

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Proteus4994 posted:

Detroit at least knows how to party yeah.

anthonypants posted:

shouldn't it be like, london or something

London is a bit past it's prime for that. It loves to pretend, but no one's fooled.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

my choices were dallas or portland, SF made me really uncomfortable in terms of the culture of the job market i'd be participating in (worthless tech bullshit, oceans of php devs and "entrepreneurial spirit" or lovely meat grindy game jobs), despite growing up in the area (sonoma/marin/napa, also bland whiteyville, probably the worst). gonna miss the north bay underground rave scene though :smith:

i'll live in a "real" city someday, i really liked the feel of chicago when i visited

edit*
if my job path in life ever leads me to find myself walking around a convention with a hadoop hat and a mongodb shirt you have full permission to execute me on sight

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.
if you think you like any city in the north, go in winter and stay two weeks. if you still like it, move there

i haven't been to chicago but i had a job interview a couple of hours away in feb and it was loving brutal

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

a lot of places are nice when you visit but loving horrible to live

los angeles, amazing place to visit, horrible place to live
san francisco, same thing
nyc, same thing
dc, same thing

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mido posted:

my choices were dallas or portland, SF made me really uncomfortable in terms of the culture of the job market i'd be participating in (worthless tech bullshit, oceans of php devs and "entrepreneurial spirit" or lovely meat grindy game jobs), despite growing up in the area (sonoma/marin/napa, also bland whiteyville, probably the worst). gonna miss the north bay underground rave scene though :smith:

i'll live in a "real" city someday, i reall liked the feel of chicago when i visited

edit*
if my job path in life ever leads me to find myself walking around a convention with a hadoop hat and a mongodb shirt you have full permission to execute me on sight

Well yeah there's a lot of places that Portland is a step up from in major ways. It's just not the sort of city to idolize or hold up as truly great, even Seattle is better on the whole.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

Well yeah there's a lot of places that Portland is a step up from in major ways. It's just not the sort of city to idolize or hold up as truly great, even Seattle is better on the whole.

woah woah woah

gently caress seattle

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

sorry dude, been to both, Seattle is way better

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mido posted:

woah woah woah

gently caress seattle

They're doing some great stuff socially, like the $15/hr minimum wage

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
lotta fishmechin lol

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Proteus4994 posted:

sorry dude, been to both, Seattle is way better

of all the cities to be "Great to visit, horrible to live in" seattle was high on my list, actually it was horrible to visit as well

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Mido posted:

of all the cities to be "Great to visit, horrible to live in" seattle was high on my list, actually it was horrible to visit as well

to each their own, I had an amazing time in Seattle and the only thing I remember about Portland was a tea house

tbf it was a really good tea house though

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
i'm moving to fresno soon

weep for me

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Proteus4994 posted:

to each their own, I had an amazing time in Seattle and the only thing I remember about Portland was a tea house

tbf it was a really good tea house though

come to portland i will show you ~the ropes~, beers on me

stoutfish posted:

weep for me

:rip:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

it's been a while since I have seen a good fishmechin! :toot:

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

im not afraid of fischmech, all i've done is assert things based on my living experience and i can say for sure portland is not without culture and it doesn't sound like anyone commenting here has spent more than a weekend here on some bullshit conference, walkign around with a laptop bag and taking the redline to the convention center, maybe wandering out and finding hot lips pizza

edit: all cities are lovely you live you die you get taxed

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

stoutfish posted:

weep for me

Rip

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

Both the un hq and the most important business city and markets on earth. It's the capital of Capital and seat of world government.

v continental

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

stoutfish posted:

weep for me

:smith:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Proteus4994 posted:

like I picked on Detroit earlier but the city has a shitload of personality despite all of its problems.

this is my favorite

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

graph posted:

it's a loving backwards hellhole, even worse than san diego. you couldn't pay me to live there

good luck to those that do! lol

If you want a vision of nova, imagine someone making 6 digits driving a pickup that cost close to 70k with confederate flags and a trucker cap and 3 kids in the back

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
so why hasn't the thread been renamed yet

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
post the most worthless cities and greatest fishmechin you got

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
hey assholes levar burton continues to own http://thinkprogress.org/culture/20...-would-love-to/

quote:

So number one, Reading Rainbow was not cancelled because it was not effective. Reading Rainbow was the most used television resource in our nation’s classroom. In 2009, it was [cancelled] due to No Child Left Behind. That government policy made a choice between teaching the rudiments of reading and fostering a love of reading. So the idea that I am trying to somehow revive a failed endeavor is bullshit. That’s right. I said it. Bullshit.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mido posted:

i guess fischmech is calling NYC the capital of the world? is that the setup/joke?

it basically is

or did you think it was a coincidence that the u.n. is hq'ed here

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
City of London is the financial capitol of the world

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

what the gently caress does any of this have to do with kickstarter. gently caress all of you.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Werthog 95 posted:

what the gently caress does any of this have to do with kickstarter. gently caress all of you.

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
absolutely definitely glad i read through 3 pages of bsd/fishmechin about the minutiae of american local government in shithole states i will never visit

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

My family is from Bound Brook, it's pretty hosed up over there.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

so you're one of those WAH PROPERTY TAXES weirdos ok.

The big Newspaper Comment Meme here right now is "Abolish property taxes, you never actually own your home because you have to rent it from the government!" Boy do they get mad when you suggest that they have to have "skin in the game" in their community and they get even angrier if you suggest that if they can't afford the property taxes they can't afford the house and they should live within their means.

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

Werthog 95 posted:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Werthog 95 posted:

lets talk about this then https://medium.com/the-nib/the-case-against-sharing-9ea5ba3d216d

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

a good read, i always enjoy things that point out how self deluded those in the bay area are

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

this comes across like a ricky gervais skit that he threw away for being too on the nose

e: i mean some of the quotes, not the article itself

DaTroof fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 4, 2014

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Vicas posted:

a good read, i always enjoy things that point out how self deluded those in the bay area are

i enjoyed the part about the social ramifications and a return to old bad stereotypes/racism/discrimination. i had not considered that prior to reading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

graph posted:

i enjoyed the part about the social ramifications and a return to old bad stereotypes/racism/discrimination. i had not considered that prior to reading

yeah, same, but it still makes all the sense in the world. that quote about white women doing the best at airbnb is so obvious in hindsight and plays into tons of gender and racial stereotypes, it shoulda been so obvious

• Locked thread