Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

The thing is, if you're going to try and prove MvC2 isn't boring at high level, you probably want to go with a different video. Because once Neo drops Cyclops for Capcom it's basically a single player game.

"Single player game" as a term refers to the fact that you kill off a single touch in MvC3 due to extreme damage, x-factor, TACs, and/or lightning loops. In MvC2, unless your opponent is Iron Man with 1 meter off of specific confirms or Cable with 3 off of specific confirms, you will get the opportunity to attempt to escape after your opponent finishes their combo. Even Sentinel-exclusive infinites aren't actually infinite, are incredibly risky due to MvC2 meter mechanics, and usually rely on either random extra damage or a super xx DHC finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Veib posted:

The people who complain whenever ChrisG wins UMvC3 tournaments would surely enjoy watching the decade of MvC2 Justin Wong.

This is how I feel from a spectator standpoint, haha. Fighting MVC2 Justin looks like trying to wring water out of sandstone, though it's also insanely entertaining whenever he actually gets hit/loses outside of a MSP starter. All those recorded Justin vs. Sanford matches are so dang good since he gets pushed to the limit.

Also removing XF or lowering damage would just make Zero and Morrigan better whoop-de-doo~

Low tier heroes who don't have functional teams are boring as gently caress to me in Marvel 3 though, like... Cool you can beat bad players, but that's not really the point? You can definitely build low tier hero teams that have a fighting chance against everyone but Morrigan and Zero and win but if it's just janky garbage that makes you lose then the entertainment factor is only about as lasting as their short, short competitive tournament life.

This is also why folks who run those random non-'top tier' teams can get so far- most people don't really give a flying gently caress about playing to the game's most optimal moronic level (beyond Vergil, who is a staple) so they just pick dudes they like with functional backings like say Doom and Vergil and win how they like to win until they don't! There's plenty of examples of weirdo teams beating slightly-below top tier teams because of the minimal gap that exists without those three really dumb characters.

But yeah, the game is the game. It's pretty bad and fun! It ain't changing and if you don't like it, then don't bother. Me? I still like it alot because I can beat most folks with my janky average teams and feel real good about it~

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

Broken Loose posted:

"Single player game" as a term refers to the fact that you kill off a single touch in MvC3 due to extreme damage, x-factor, TACs, and/or lightning loops. In MvC2, unless your opponent is Iron Man with 1 meter off of specific confirms or Cable with 3 off of specific confirms, you will get the opportunity to attempt to escape after your opponent finishes their combo. Even Sentinel-exclusive infinites aren't actually infinite, are incredibly risky due to MvC2 meter mechanics, and usually rely on either random extra damage or a super xx DHC finish.

Sure, hence the "basically" modifier. Moreover, if lightning loops=killing off a single touch, which in turn is a defining feature of a "single player game" then what about Mag ROM? Not to mention TACs. And Storm's Sentinel "infinite" isn't exactly "incredibly risky", nor is Iron Man's BnB infinite. But your points about lower damage, etc. are well taken.

At any rate, pretending watching Storm fly around is more interesting or exciting than watching (ChrisG's) Morridoom strikes me as pretty disingenuous, but to each his own I guess.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

Sure, hence the "basically" modifier. Moreover, if lightning loops=killing off a single touch, which in turn is a defining feature of a "single player game" then what about Mag ROM? Not to mention TACs. And Storm's Sentinel "infinite" isn't exactly "incredibly risky", nor is Iron Man's BnB infinite. But your points about lower damage, etc. are well taken.

At any rate, pretending watching Storm fly around is more interesting or exciting than watching (ChrisG's) Morridoom strikes me as pretty disingenuous, but to each his own I guess.

ROM isn't a true infinite. What's risky about MvC2 infinites are that (A) meter scaling happens so longer combos give you less meter while the opponent steadily gets more and (B) undizzy will pop the opponent out of the combo if it goes too long. The ROM is usually used as a holding pattern for Magneto players who are in the process of deciding how to reset you. Of course, if you take too long deciding this then the opponent gets more time to think about their reversal while getting more meter for potential mashes (and reversal super xx DHC was pretty gruesome because the super flash ate your opponent's inputs and induced 8f of hitstop).

The only true infinites of MvC2 require tool assistance. Even the Iron Man infinite has to end with Proton Cannon (and possibly a DHC) to kill most characters from 100% health.

MvC2 neutral was pretty wack at times and the top players were so insanely good that it's kind of a joke, I'll definitely admit. It's "better" to watch for the same reason Poongko was fun to watch at Evo 2011-- seeing somebody get opened up repeatedly is inherently more exciting than seeing a single training mode combo because of the chances to escape. If Lightning Attack didn't put you over the top of the screen or Storm couldn't gain meter from normals mashed while floating, people would have very little to complain about re: MvC2, but a lot of folks just stopped caring about the game once the best players were essentially set in stone.

The actual successor to MvC2 on modern systems would be Skullgirls Encore, but that's a whole different post.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
Yipes has argued that it's easier to view Marvel 3 as an anime game.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Excels posted:

If Marvel 3 were a new anime IP it would have been played for 2 months, universally decried as a lovely game, and have a microscopic community left playing it

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

So it would be Street Fighter 3.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

DeathChicken posted:

So it would be Street Fighter 3.

Marvel 3 is bad, but it's not that bad.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

imagine if you could pick the same character three times like in Marvel 2, we'd be seeing nothing but 3 Zeros vs 3 Dooms and it would probably be hilarious

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Excels posted:

People have been saying this since vanilla came out.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Excels posted:

imagine if you could pick the same character three times like in Marvel 2, we'd be seeing nothing but 3 Zeros vs 3 Dooms and it would probably be hilarious

You can't actually do that outside of silly games

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
If it was an anime game no one would play it except some very dedicated japanese dudes that people would sometimes watch on youtube and be like haha man this game is so loving busted, what is it called?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

dangerdoom volvo posted:

If it was an anime game no one would play it except some very dedicated japanese dudes that people would sometimes watch on youtube and be like haha man this game is so loving busted, what is it called?

That was word for word the reaction my Tekkenfriend had when I played Persona 4 Arena with him at a party, and he discovered there was an auto-combo that ended in a super for every character.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

dangerdoom volvo posted:

"Marvel 3 is HnK for kids" - Nerdjosh (on his stream), 2014

related:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2AobhTzl00

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 28, 2014

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Sengoku Basara X is a cool game full of cool characters with cool combos that are fun to do that's not at all fun to actually play in any sort of even remotely serious manner, because it's so loving dumb and busted. It's like a bad HnK.

(Hideyoshi SPD loops for life)

e: I spent way too much time with SBX and other random anime games like Fate/unlimited codes and the first Arcana Heart because they all came out at the weird time when me and the people I played fighting games with had gotten bored of Accent Core after playing since XX, and before we all got new consoles to play stuff like SF4.

Veib fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 28, 2014

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Broken Loose posted:

"Marvel 3 is HnK for kids" - Nerdjosh (on his stream), 2014

related:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2AobhTzl00

Doctor Doom's spiritual ancestor, that crazy dude on the left.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

dangerdoom volvo posted:

This is basically what Japan already does with Marvel games, they're considered to pretty lovely over there.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Beef Waifu posted:

This is basically what Japan already does with Marvel games, they're considered to pretty lovely over there.

Doesn't Japan essentially have the same problem with Marvel as Americans did with Tatsunoko where nobody gave a poo poo about the Not-Capcom half of the cast?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Japan loves rocket raccoon, and team nemo exists and uses doctor strange. I have no idea how the average japanese player thinks but it doesn't seem that way in the small sample I have.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

I think many Marvel fans are honestly still dealing with the fact that Rocket Raccoon is not only a playable fighting game character, but also the star of a big budget Hollywood movie.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TaurusOxford posted:

Doesn't Japan essentially have the same problem with Marvel as Americans did with Tatsunoko where nobody gave a poo poo about the Not-Capcom half of the cast?

That's part of it, but Japan in general has never cared for Marvel games, they've been considered kusoge as far back as Children of the Atom due to how silly some of the mechanics are and the generally broken nature of the games. TvC is also considered to be one along with Sengoku Basara X and Fist of the North Star. The people in Japan who play them don't actually enjoy them because they think they're good fighting games, they just find them fun. Our attitude towards FotNS and SBX is generally the same.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Broken Loose posted:

The actual successor to MvC2 on modern systems would be Skullgirls Encore, but that's a whole different post.

SGE is a great game that desperately needs more characters (beyond the handfull currently in development) and would get them too if god didnt hate mike z :smith:

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Race Realists posted:

SGE is a great game that desperately needs more characters (beyond the handfull currently in development) and would get them too if god didnt hate mike z :smith:

as pretty as hand drawn 1200 frame sprites are they add a ton to development costs and time and there's a reason no one does that kind of thing anymore

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I'm not saying more wouldn't be nice or anything, but I'm pretty happy with the current cast considering how incredibly different they all are from each other. Even the clone isn't actually a clone. It's kinda like VF in that sense, therefore Skullgirls owns.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Race Realists posted:

I think it's easier to swallow 15 16 characters than 8 in a team-based game, especially since the characters are quite balanced against each other.

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 28, 2014

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Get all this Skullgirls love out of this thread youse bums!

Marvel love/hate relationships only!

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Marvel rules, except when it doesn't.

Then it sucks.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

Fereydun posted:

Get all this Skullgirls love out of this thread youse bums!

Marvel love/hate relationships only!

You can't stop my love for the Big Band. He is the best Skullgirl.

The marvel hype is kinda dead for me, to be honest. Wasn't a sudden thing, just kinda petered out.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

h-hey guys, i heard playstation all-stars got a patch!

ha... ha ha... remember that game??

the dream is dead.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Ybrik posted:

Marvel rules, except when it doesn't.

Then it sucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2C2-4FCnWE&t=161s

The suckiest, best game.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Veib posted:

The people who complain whenever ChrisG wins UMvC3 tournaments would surely enjoy watching the decade of MvC2 Justin Wong.

What really chaps me about Chris G is how whiny and babyish he is. I'm pretty indifferent about Justin, but I think I'd much rather watch Justin Wong win every tournament than see Chris G bitch and moan about poo poo.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Coca Koala posted:

What really chaps me about Chris G is how whiny and babyish he is. I'm pretty indifferent about Justin, but I think I'd much rather watch Justin Wong win every tournament than see Chris G bitch and moan about poo poo.

ChrisG is also an ugly neckbeard.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Excels posted:

ChrisG is also an ugly neckbeard.

And Justin is an Adonis?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Chaotic Flame posted:

And Justin is an Adonis?

yes

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Deadpool's raw tag/tag quote for himself is "ME!"

Holy poo poo this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6u6MPZqOUA

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
I made a vid + tutorial if you want to actually have fun in this game for once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swPuSwVWHak

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

This doesn't work on PS3, looks funny though

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Excels posted:

This doesn't work on PS3, looks funny though

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

What have you wrought?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYArg9AwA9Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

oh my god