Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I don't care if they make new models although I would probably ally them in if they did, I just want to be able to find the transfer sheets again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

PantsOptional posted:

I don't care if they make new models although I would probably ally them in if they did, I just want to be able to find the transfer sheets again.

I've never done it but if you can find a good scan of the sheet you can print your own if you buy the right paper.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
I know plenty of players who would play Sisters if they could get them at a decent price and not in pewter. (I'm one of them!) There is a lot of hope that GW saw how well Wood Elves did, and figured out that a lot of players are interested in older ranges but held back by either cost of entry, apathy over old sculpts, or a desire to play with not pewter. Of course, people have been saying that Sisters were getting an update and plastic models for years, and they've only gotten a WD update and that rather uninspired digital codex.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Sadly all the transfers I want would be in white so printing wouldn't be an option. Although, I seem to recall some goon in the last thread trying the fleur-de-lis from here but there was no word on whether or not they worked out. Anyone have any experience with them?

Dump_Stat
Aug 12, 2007

The glue trap works perfectly!

Von Humboldt posted:

I know plenty of players who would play Sisters if they could get them at a decent price and not in pewter. (I'm one of them!) There is a lot of hope that GW saw how well Wood Elves did, and figured out that a lot of players are interested in older ranges but held back by either cost of entry, apathy over old sculpts, or a desire to play with not pewter. Of course, people have been saying that Sisters were getting an update and plastic models for years, and they've only gotten a WD update and that rather uninspired digital codex.

I have dozens and dozens of the metal sisters. There was also a big hope that they'd get redone a few years ago when Dark Eldar exploded in both quality and popularity. I wouldn't put much stock in the Wood Elves theory, if the 14 year old (?) Dark Eldar codex, and their rags to riches success story in 5e didn't change GW's mind.

We'll almost certainly see some kind of an update some day. Whether it be another digital codex or a full blown release. But It'll probably be a very long way down the road. I hope that I'm wrong, but this is GW and they have this weird thing about ignoring them.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

twistedmentat posted:

It really strikes me that there is a lot of Sisters art in the new rulebooks. Are they going to become a real, actual army with a real codex and models?

One of the few armies I'd actually take as allies.

Is it possible that GW is going to do something similar to what they did with the Imperial Guard where they renamed it since they couldn't trademark it? I don't know if Sisters of Battle is unique enough to be trademarked. `

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

UberJumper posted:

Is it possible that GW is going to do something similar to what they did with the Imperial Guard where they renamed it since they couldn't trademark it? I don't know if Sisters of Battle is unique enough to be trademarked. `

They're already the Adepta Sororitas officially, no need to call them anything besides that for copyright purposes.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

It really strikes me that there is a lot of Sisters art in the new rulebooks. Are they going to become a real, actual army with a real codex and models?

One of the few armies I'd actually take as allies.

We can only hope, but that means releasing new plastic models (since GW don't do metal or finecast anymore).
Plastic Sisters would be great, albeit about 8 years overdue. GW could probably even turn a profit by (re)releasing a whole new army of plastics. If the past is anything to go by, I'm sure I wasn't the only GK player who bought at least 6 of the new PA/TA GK kits. Even a few people in my gaming group picked up a box for all the delicious force weapons and PA Justicar psychic hoods.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Strikes me as more likely that the current moulds for Sisters wore out a little while ago and they decided not to make a new set from the masters, and now that warehouse stock is into the margin of error they've been removed from sale, because a final sale on the remaining stock would criminally destroy the actual and perceived value of the finest miniatures the world has ever seen.

They were presumably waiting to see what the sales of the Sisters codex or whatever it was were like before they decided to make hard plastics or shelve the army permanently.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Tadhg posted:

loving hell, this just resonated with me. The loving GREY KNIGHTS codex is two editions old now.

This game used to move a hell of a lot more slowly.

The last time I really paid attention to 40k, tables were dominated by Grey Knights and/or Necrons. It feels like forever ago.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Swagger Dagger posted:

The last time I really paid attention to 40k, tables were dominated by Grey Knights and/or Necrons. It feels like forever ago.

Grey Knights faded from 6th edition, but Necrons were a mainstay thanks to having dirt-cheap flying transports for last turn objective grabs. Necrons are only just starting to phase out (no pun intended) while GKs are making a comeback thanks to easy access to a shitload of warp charges.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

Von Humboldt posted:

not in pewter

I've never understood this. I mean, yeah, there are some notoriously lovely and/or goofy metal sculpts out there that should only see the light of day in a "remember these pieces of poo poo?" post every so often. But there are a ton of great all-metal lines, such as the Vostroyans or the (mostly metal) Woods Elves, that I absolutely love. A nice metal model feels solid when painting and playing, and live a hell of a lot longer.

The new plastic kits are amazing in terms of detail and ease of assembly, yes. But I also always feel like they're lacking something. I always seek out a metal version of a model whenever possible.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Tadhg posted:

I've never understood this. I mean, yeah, there are some notoriously lovely and/or goofy metal sculpts out there that should only see the light of day in a "remember these pieces of poo poo?" post every so often. But there are a ton of great all-metal lines, such as the Vostroyans or the (mostly metal) Woods Elves, that I absolutely love. A nice metal model feels solid when painting and playing, and live a hell of a lot longer.

The new plastic kits are amazing in terms of detail and ease of assembly, yes. But I also always feel like they're lacking something. I always seek out a metal version of a model whenever possible.

$$$

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Also ease of posing. Most of the metal builds are fixed poses so you're stuck with pretty much the same four Sisters over and over again and that gets pretty stale. I like the fact that my plastic Guard and Marines are all each unique.

And yeah, the price is a factor as well. Though the fact that the plastics are nearly as expensive these days mitigates that benefit. Back when I was serious about buying my minis plastic was hugely cheaper than metal. Now it's still a minor discount.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Command Squads w/ Astropaths rolling on Telepathy are crazy good. Yes, I too would like to face a army that every one with in 6 gets Shrouded. Yes, that is what I want.
Oh that and the whole impossible to kill Leman Russ squadrons w/ Invisibility.

I mean think of it this way, for 105 points you can basically have a unit that Gives Orders, Calls down Ordnance, and can turn your tanks invisible. Or the worst. Cast invisibility on a Imperial Knight.

I don't play in tournaments but I plan on goingto Adepticon next year to watch some games, a lot of the new rules "fixed" a little bit broke a lot. So it should be neat to see what becomes dominant.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Tonight Yarrick punched a Carnifex into a black hole.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Fix posted:

Tonight Yarrick punched a Carnifex into a black hole.

God Emperor bless that wonderful man.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

Look at this guy who wants his kids to have juice every week. :rolleyes:

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
Has anyone tried scoring the tactical objective cards at the start of the turn? That way your opponent gets a chance to react once you are in position.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Tuxedo Jack posted:

For those who were following my FLGS Campaign drama a few days ago, I just wanted to check in. We played our first campaign game tonight - and I'm so satisfied... The game was awful - I maintain that the cards are still broken - but I was on the winning side of it.

After convincing the group not to house-rule the scoring drop pods "until we know if they're broken" - I was able to score two objectives with the pod and the unit that came out of it on turn one. (I only had two pods total, the second didn't even come in on turn two). By the end of turn two, we were up 8 to 1. It was satisfying to show that the cards can be a little one-sided with a bad draw. I also had the warlord trait that lets you discard from your first hand if you want, which netted me three cashable cards on turn one and two.

Needless to say, it probably wasn't fun for the other guy, but it did allow me to illustrate my point, that the tabletop didn't matter, because I drew the right cards. We would've had a nice close game if the objective cards hadn't broken it from the onset.

Anyway, I think I have some of the group rethinking the Maelstrom cards now, which is good... And I won the first game of our campaign! (So that's good!)

I was on the opposite side of the discard warlord trait last night (photo batrep here if anyone is interested), and with the mission that has you draw as many cards as you have objective points as well (so my opponent had 3 cards, I only had 1 in hand). I think the objective cards make it more interesting, as well as more random. The psyker phase makes things a little more tactical, with the gambling on more dice to get a success but risking a Perils the more dice you use. It was only our second game of 7th but it was interesting and even though I lost 10-1 I still had some fun. And hey, I got to use a completely new unit! (Bloodletters)

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AgentF posted:

What is there in the way of US wargaming stores that will deliver to Australia?

You can also go through these guys, here!
They deal only in bits but I've found that whole sets worth will turn up at one time, or another.
Also? I think they're based in the UK.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

PierreTheMime posted:

Ugh, keep forgetting about the vehicle exclusion. :/

But but but they all have Crew: Space Marine. What, they removed the "Crew" section one or two editions ago to prevent confusion about spess marine drivers and guardsmen drivers jumping out of their destroyed vehicles? :reject:

It was hilarious when Imperial Guard could take an Escape Hatch. That 150+ point Leman Russ you just destroyed is actually only worth half Victory Points (or none?) if the screaming, on-fire Tank Driver model was still running around on his 25mm base.

Tadhg posted:

Metal minis have a bad name mainly because the blisters end up being something like $18 for two models. That hurts. They're also far more difficult to convert and pose.

What are plastic minis missing? A nickel superglued into the base, that's what. It definitely helps them feel more substantial on the table rather than just a flim flam throwaway unit.

Sorry, $20 for three models: http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Battle-Sisters;jsessionid=7D327D06D924673EC9F2FBF87FA9A336

So.... $60+ for one squad. Ouch. It is only within the past year or two that the plastic kits have been butchered into squads of 5 that cost more overall.

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jun 4, 2014

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Post 9-11 User posted:

But but but they all have Crew: Space Marine. What, they removed the "Crew" section one or two editions ago to prevent confusion about spess marine drivers and guardsmen drivers jumping out of their destroyed vehicles? :reject:

It was hilarious when Imperial Guard could take an Escape Hatch. That 150+ point Leman Russ you just destroyed is actually only worth half Victory Points (or none?) if the screaming, on-fire Tank Driver model was still running around on his 25mm base.

Metal minis have a bad name mainly because the blisters end up being something like $18 for two models. That hurts. They're also far more difficult to convert and pose.

What are plastic minis missing? A nickel superglued into the base, that's what. It definitely helps them feel more substantial on the table rather than just a flim flam throwaway unit.

Sorry, $20 for three models: http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Battle-Sisters;jsessionid=7D327D06D924673EC9F2FBF87FA9A336

So.... $60+ for one squad. Ouch. It is only within the past year or two that the plastic kits have been butchered into squads of 5 that cost more overall.

I like that the plastic minis seem paradoxically more durable. I'm less likely to see paint chip off them at the edges and when I drop them from really short heights, I can expect they won't completely shatter. Also, hauling around a bunch of plastic minis is way easier because of the lower weight. Let me tell you about having a metal Space Marine Dreadnought.

I do use nickels for the bases sometimes though, particularly if the plastic model is in an unstable or lop-sided pose.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
The best marines (of the green variety at least) are getting some sweet stuff.

More dragons and flames than you can shake a stick at.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Mango Polo posted:

The best marines (of the green variety at least) are getting some sweet stuff.

This and the buffs to walkers might make me finally field a Contemptor. Curse you, Forgeworld.

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN

PantsOptional posted:

The fact that a squad of 10 is eighty dollars is what is keeping me from allying them so I would really like plastic Sisters.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Yeah, at least one of those is going to be next month's oath if it's out by then. With that, the upgrade kit, Firedrakes and Vulkan coming out relatively soon, my wallet is going to take a pounding.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

TheChirurgeon posted:

I like that the plastic minis seem paradoxically more durable. I'm less likely to see paint chip off them at the edges and when I drop them from really short heights, I can expect they won't completely shatter. Also, hauling around a bunch of plastic minis is way easier because of the lower weight. Let me tell you about having a metal Space Marine Dreadnought.

I do use nickels for the bases sometimes though, particularly if the plastic model is in an unstable or lop-sided pose.

I was so relieved when I came back to the game and found that more armies than marines were given plastic heavy weapons. $25 bucks for 16 boys and another $15 for four heavies had gotten a bit extreme.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah, I meant to say that plastic minis almost never chip, that is a big plus. Even more fun is just throwing plastic Guardians in the casualty bin Mini Wargaming Style.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Yeah if I never have to glue metal bits to a plastic mini again it'll be too soon.

lol I'm doing it again this evening with this goddamn Crusader I HATE YOU LAND RAIDER CRUSADER WHY DO YOU HAVE TO BE THE ONLY LAND RAIDER WORTH TAKING

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Plastics take paint far better than metals, that combined with the negligible weight, the fact that mould lines can be rectified, the ease of attaching them a base, and the added durability all make me like plastics infinitely more than metals.

When Finecast was announced I was so very happy because I thought metal was dead. It's a testament to how terribly that turned out that even today I keep an eye out on Ebay for a metal Thunderfire cannon instead of buying a FC one.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I kinda prefer plastics over metal. Which is kinda annoying since my favorite IG models, the Kasrkins, are all metal and they're such an annoyance to paint at times with paint with all their sharp edges and such that just seems to make paint fall of by itself.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
I never had any problem with finecast (aside from the ridiculous price hike for a cheaper material). I bought a couple brand new kits, and came across a few on ebay with no issues at all. I'd hate to have made my Venomthropes from metal after all the issues my Zoanthropes have.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I have an all-metal foot horde IG army and a Space Marine army made up of metal models with plastic arms and back packs. I haven't built a modern plastic GW model since August. Come the gently caress at me plastic bros.

That being said gently caress hybrid models. Infantry I can deal with, but vehicles are the absolute worst. I had to matte varnish my Razorback turret so the paint wouldn't rub off when I was just handling the drat thing.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
I miss the ease of conversion but I really love not having to glue arms onto sixty dudes for my Steel legion guys. Plastic is great for kill team where I want each model to be super unique but when it comes to massed infantry, there is a sweet spot around 3rd edition were GW put out some nicely detailed metals.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
As a guard player returning to the game after 4 years, I have to ask- is there any reason that I shouldn't be giving a bolter to every sarge in my army? And just to be clear, can he keep his chainsword despite taking the Bolter (the rules don't clearly specify)?

Also since no guard units can infiltrate anymore and only stormtroopers can deep strike, Valkyries are kind of necessary if you want to take objects before the enemy I assume?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Holy poo poo you guys. Games Workshop sent us a preview Gorka/Morkanaut box to open and show to people.

They haven't done anything like this in years. I'm a little shocked.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Chance II posted:

I miss the ease of conversion but I really love not having to glue arms onto sixty dudes for my Steel legion guys. Plastic is great for kill team where I want each model to be super unique but when it comes to massed infantry, there is a sweet spot around 3rd edition were GW put out some nicely detailed metals.

If I ever started an IG army it would be Steel Legion or Tallarn. I have a small mess of Tallarn but only enough for a By The Authority Of The Emperor set of Inquisition allies under the old rules. Both sets are seriously great and I would never, ever clip, shave flash from, dryfit, assemble, and paint 100 plastic minis. gently caress that forever.

The Cadian models are always cool, too. All of the metal IG models are great because they are noticeably smaller than Space Marines, unlike the plastic Cadians.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Arven posted:

As a guard player returning to the game after 4 years, I have to ask- is there any reason that I shouldn't be giving a bolter to every sarge in my army? And just to be clear, can he keep his chainsword despite taking the Bolter (the rules don't clearly specify)?

Also since no guard units can infiltrate anymore and only stormtroopers can deep strike, Valkyries are kind of necessary if you want to take objects before the enemy I assume?

If the bolter's free and replaces the lasgun, then you should unless you want him to have a laspistol for +1 attack. He can keep his chainsword but chainswords don't do anything unless paired with another close combat weapon.

Objectives are usually placed all over the map, so even without any fliers or deep strikers you will probably be able to walk or drive or even start on top of at least 2 in the first turn. That said, mobility is definitely useful with the "capture x objective" cards.

I can't imagine how good Eldar jetbikes are now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

S.J. posted:

Holy poo poo you guys. Games Workshop sent us a preview Gorka/Morkanaut box to open and show to people.

They haven't done anything like this in years. I'm a little shocked.

Well, out with it...

• Locked thread