Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Ratzap posted:

I was just sitting down to breakfast before heading into work when there was a familiar scream from the back door direction. Someone was coming through the RFID tag reading catflap with a 'guest'. A short clatter of the inside flap and Buffy trotted into the kitchen and under a chair giving off her 'this one is mine' growl. I shut the door to the rest of the house as I really didn't feel like a game of chase the bunny before work.
I needn't have bothered as she was in a business mood - she bit down killing it within a couple of minutes, accepted her praise and demanded her breakfast. I'm glad she's still so active at 15 and even happier to have her not eat them. It's probably only the first of many though, every year around now the fresh young rabbits come into my garden where Buffy greets them. Their parents learned to stay out of the garden despite the tempting greenery and thus stay alive.

I can't help but notice the little garnish on it. What a classy cat :v:

That being said, try and keep kitty inside so she doesn't exterminate all wildlife and bring fleas and tapeworm into the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
So I recently found a starving stray cat huddled on my doorstep and took him in because goddamn did he ever need it. Got him his shots, microchipped, neutered, etc. He's healthy, has no diseases, and is finally getting back up to a regular weight.

The little guy loves people, is friendly, doesn't bite or scratch, and apart from walking around the house meowing constantly, would be the perfect buddy.

Except he attacks our other cats 100% of the time he sees them.

He doesn't hiss, or guard resources, or even freak out. Half the time his tail doesn't even fluff up. He'll just go about his business like everything is cool with totally normal body language. But as soon as he notices one of our cats aren't looking directly at him, he will stop what he's doing and beeline for them, and will keep attacking even if they run away. It's not a simple matter of taking a swipe or a mild tussle, he continues to pursue until we pull him off and doesn't care if we squirt him with water, make a loud noise, or come charging at him half the time.

We've done our best to interrupt any sustained staredowns or other initiating behavior but the only thing that has stopped him from attacking them is keeping him in a closed room. They'll bat at each other under a closed door from time to time but he doesn't particularly care about this activity which makes his in-person response even more frustrating.

We've been giving them food in places where they can see each other, exchanging smells, etc. but it hasn't seemed to make any headway yet. They don't seem to give the slightest poo poo about each others' smells, in fact.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated, because I'm not sure what else to do with this guy and I don't know anyone in Lansing so there's not a lot of hope for me adopting him out as of yet.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I Love You! posted:

So I recently found a starving stray cat huddled on my doorstep and took him in because goddamn did he ever need it. Got him his shots, microchipped, neutered, etc. He's healthy, has no diseases, and is finally getting back up to a regular weight.

The little guy loves people, is friendly, doesn't bite or scratch, and apart from walking around the house meowing constantly, would be the perfect buddy.

Except he attacks our other cats 100% of the time he sees them.

He doesn't hiss, or guard resources, or even freak out. Half the time his tail doesn't even fluff up. He'll just go about his business like everything is cool with totally normal body language. But as soon as he notices one of our cats aren't looking directly at him, he will stop what he's doing and beeline for them, and will keep attacking even if they run away. It's not a simple matter of taking a swipe or a mild tussle, he continues to pursue until we pull him off and doesn't care if we squirt him with water, make a loud noise, or come charging at him half the time.

We've done our best to interrupt any sustained staredowns or other initiating behavior but the only thing that has stopped him from attacking them is keeping him in a closed room. They'll bat at each other under a closed door from time to time but he doesn't particularly care about this activity which makes his in-person response even more frustrating.

We've been giving them food in places where they can see each other, exchanging smells, etc. but it hasn't seemed to make any headway yet. They don't seem to give the slightest poo poo about each others' smells, in fact.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated, because I'm not sure what else to do with this guy and I don't know anyone in Lansing so there's not a lot of hope for me adopting him out as of yet.

An important piece of information here is whether they're actual fights, with claws out and intent to harm, or just playing.

If it's real fighting, you've got a serious problem, one I can't help with much. If it's overly aggressive play (and your other cats don't like it), it's easier to deal with - get him interacting with you instead of the other cats. Get him lots of toys, Da Bird, laser pointers, whatever, and run him till he drops. Get a harness on him and keep him on a leash when near the other cats, so you can limit his approach.

Find him a place in the house that can be just his, so he can feel safe when he's there to reduce the territoriality. It may be something as "simple" as him being somewhat socially inept and not knowing how to interact with other cats appropriately. Time may be the best medicine, for him to figure out the other cats aren't threats and how to behave himself.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Ema Nymton posted:

I can't help but notice the little garnish on it. What a classy cat :v:

That being said, try and keep kitty inside so she doesn't exterminate all wildlife and bring fleas and tapeworm into the house.

Heh, extermination of anything chewing my veggie plot is her job. She's a soldier in the good fight. Her chip is registered to 'Buffy the Rodentslayer' since she showed her calling from an early age and the occasional spot on takes care of any passengers. Thankfully my cats have left the birds largely unmolested and concentrated on rabbits (Britain has a vast rabbit population, rapidly increasing again after the last mixy wave).

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Deteriorata posted:

An important piece of information here is whether they're actual fights, with claws out and intent to harm, or just playing.

If it's real fighting, you've got a serious problem, one I can't help with much. If it's overly aggressive play (and your other cats don't like it), it's easier to deal with - get him interacting with you instead of the other cats. Get him lots of toys, Da Bird, laser pointers, whatever, and run him till he drops. Get a harness on him and keep him on a leash when near the other cats, so you can limit his approach.

Find him a place in the house that can be just his, so he can feel safe when he's there to reduce the territoriality. It may be something as "simple" as him being somewhat socially inept and not knowing how to interact with other cats appropriately. Time may be the best medicine, for him to figure out the other cats aren't threats and how to behave himself.

They are actual fights. Granted, he's still at the edge of kittenhood and maybe when he first goes after the other cats he's just super interested until they start hissing or trying to run, but it immediately turns into fur flying scratching yowling battlecats, and he pursues runners until pulled away.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
I'll be acquiring my first-ever kitten in a few weeks, and I'm trying to figure out whether to get one or two. I've read up on the general pros and cons, but here are my personal ones:

PROS:
- My house is kind of large (a double-storey with only three people living here), so I'm worried it might get lonely.
- I currently go to university, and my other family members have school/work during the day, so another one of the loneliness.

CONS:
- I have two small dogs but they pretty much just live outside, meaning they can't exactly interact while nobody's home.
- Expenses.

Any opinions/advice?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

bubblelubble posted:

I'll be acquiring my first-ever kitten in a few weeks, and I'm trying to figure out whether to get one or two. I've read up on the general pros and cons, but here are my personal ones:

PROS:
- My house is kind of large (a double-storey with only three people living here), so I'm worried it might get lonely.
- I currently go to university, and my other family members have school/work during the day, so another one of the loneliness.

CONS:
- I have two small dogs but they pretty much just live outside, meaning they can't exactly interact while nobody's home.
- Expenses.

Any opinions/advice?
General first cat advice:
  • Start off with a smaller room and keep your cat isolated in there for at least a day, then leave it open a crack so it can explore your house on your own. Part of this is helping your cat acclimate to all the new smells and noises, the other part is to make sure they know where and how to use the litter box. Make sure there's a place for your cat to hide in in there(like a chair or box with a sheet over it) and don't gently caress with them too much if they're hiding in there.
  • If you don't want your cat going into certain rooms, you will need to remember to close those rooms off all the time and make sure the cat's not in there.
  • Similarly, be very careful about opening windows without screens, and those with screens will need to be sturdy enough for a hanging cat.
  • Figure out if your cat's a runner and be careful when opening doors to the outside, particularly when coming home(because you can't see the cat then)
  • Learn to close the toilet lid.
  • Handle your cat a lot, pick him up a bunch(one hand under chest, other hand for back of cat) and hold him a bit and make a signal before letting him go; this will help a lot later for clipping nails, vet visits, and general cat wrangling.
  • On cat wrangling, learn how to scruff your cat; it's pretty useful for calming them down a bit and if their nips start turning into bites
  • Cats often like to knock poo poo off tables and shelves, so move your valuables to safer locations and such accordingly
  • Scoop the box every day. Every. loving. Day. Make it into your daily coming home ritual or whatever. I'd also suggest unscented litter unless you really like that smell, particularly on your cat.
  • Make sure you have a few surfaces for your cat to scratch. If you get a cat tree, I'd also get a few cardboard scratchers you can put elsewhere around the house. Don't just get a cat tree and think "he'll come here whenever he wants to scratch!"
  • Wouldn't be too worried about your cat being lonely, another cat would be cool though, particularly if you get shelter buddies or siblings
  • Cats aren't really that expensive to keep. Just don't go too crazy on accessories and toys and stuff because your cat will probably ignore a lot of them anyway.
  • Don't freak out

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

I Love You! posted:

They are actual fights. Granted, he's still at the edge of kittenhood and maybe when he first goes after the other cats he's just super interested until they start hissing or trying to run, but it immediately turns into fur flying scratching yowling battlecats, and he pursues runners until pulled away.

I'm in a similar situation at the moment. I have the aggressive cat in his own room and he's been there for a week currently. I'm also reading a book about multicat households and trying to see what options I have. Medication is always on the table but I know that also doesn't solve the underlying behavior problems. Feliway hasn't done anything, either he doesn't react to it or six diffusers isn't enough to make a difference and those things are expensive as is. From what I've read so far I need to start playing with the cat that is the main target of aggression to try and build his confidence and make him feel more secure. And I need to start slowly reintroducing the aggressive cat into the house, but with a harness and leash and as soon as he causes a problem he goes back into isolation. It's going to take a lot to get them playing in the same room together, slow introductions and lots of treats. It will probably take months based on the level of aggression that has sprung up, but I want to give reintroduction an honest try before meds. I will keep updates on the situation, hopefully with some work I can get them to at least exist in the same house without being worried someone is going to get hurt.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Serious question. What's the maximum it is reasonable to pay to save a young cat's life. I already committed to the operation but I honestly don't know if I made the right call. He's 10-12 months old and even if he survives the operation he will probably be eating through a straw for a while. The vet seems optimistic but to be honest I'm new to this stuff. I've never put down a cat before and I feel like I probably pussed out.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit
So I'm getting a new kitten at some point very soon and wanted some goon advice.
I already have a two year old cat called Austin and he is extremely gentle and curious around other animals and has never been agressive. I'm just worried that because he has had me to himself could he get jealous/nasty? If it's a kitten will he not be threatened?
EDIT; Inside cat by the way and does the sex matter also? Would be nice to have a girl.

MisterGBH fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jun 4, 2014

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Talorat posted:

Serious question. What's the maximum it is reasonable to pay to save a young cat's life. I already committed to the operation but I honestly don't know if I made the right call. He's 10-12 months old and even if he survives the operation he will probably be eating through a straw for a while. The vet seems optimistic but to be honest I'm new to this stuff. I've never put down a cat before and I feel like I probably pussed out.

That is a completely individual (or sometimes with significant other/other pet owner) question. This is a general checklist to go through, imo, when deciding things like this.

1: Is it within your budget? If you are going to not be eating for a week or two, you probably shouldn't (because things might go wrong and you need more money). If you've got the money to spare, then you move onto...
2: Does this animal mean a lot to you? Will you resent the animal for having "spent so much money on it"? If you won't, move onto...
3: Will the animal be able to have a good/great quality of long life after recovery? Will the trials of treatment and recovery be too much or will they be things that can be dealt with humanely? If that is all good, then move onto...
4: How will treatment and recovery affect you? Will you need to do treatments several times a day but you have to be at work for 12 hours and there is no one to help you? Will you need to bring the animal to the hospital multiple times a week for several weeks? Will all the logistics work out? If things are good here, move onto...
5: Sit and think. Should I do this? If you have questions, ask your vet, ask other people.

People spend money on their pets. Sometimes it is not a lot, sometimes it is vast.

Some may feel that $500 in total medical cost for an animal is the limit, and there are some that will spend $20,000. There are some who cannot be the chauffer for their pet for multiple times a week because their job won't let them and they need to work, and there are some that will quit their job, move to a new city, and spend a year dealing only with their animal. There are some people who don't want to put their animals through major treatments. There are people who say "It is just a <x> and it has had a good run."

Though sometimes I may not completely agree, especially with the "just a <x>" crowd, I still respect their decision. Only they know what they can do - but only as long as you understand and realize that if certain things aren't done, euthanasia may be needed. Some of the most caring clients I have seen are those who don't have much money - there are people who would call them cruel or that they shouldn't have pets - but they make huge sacrifices for their pets because that is what they want.

Don't let others make the decision for you. Make it for yourself. You are the one who will be managing the consequences - good or bad.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
That's a very good post. Thank you. That helps a lot.

drink slurm
Feb 18, 2010

Anime and Weed, what else do you need?
Alright apollogies in advance but its another "time to euthanize" thing.

My cat is currently 23 and 11 months. The last vet visit was about 12 weeks ago and it was discovered the cat had cancer and within six to eight weeks she would likely be near the end. I just really don't know if shes suffering right now. Shes still around me all the time and is still really affectionate towards me. This is what's probably making it the hardest for me right now, if she is dying wouldn't she be hiding away from me? She is also still grooming herself and hasn't sprayed any bodily fuids outside the proper receptical. Shes stopped eating catfood and I've been giving her meat and cheese which she eats fine (I know its probably not the healthiest). However for the past two days shes lost some weight, and has been having some problems keeping balance and has developed a twitch.

The weight loss and sleeping more was always more common in summer and I honestly don't know whether to chalk most of it up to that or if she really is too ill :(

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Does anyone here have experience with using the insect repellent Permethrin in a cat-having household? I've heard its toxic to cats, but is safe once its been applied and dried on clothing. I've been considering treating my field clothing this year, as we're into tick season. I'm trying to get some more info on whether or not I would be risking poisoning our cat.

Obviously the liquid stuff will be locked away tightly.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

drink slurm posted:

My cat is currently 23 and 11 months. The last vet visit was about 12 weeks ago and it was discovered the cat had cancer and within six to eight weeks she would likely be near the end. I just really don't know if shes suffering right now. Shes still around me all the time and is still really affectionate towards me. This is what's probably making it the hardest for me right now, if she is dying wouldn't she be hiding away from me? She is also still grooming herself and hasn't sprayed any bodily fuids outside the proper receptical. Shes stopped eating catfood and I've been giving her meat and cheese which she eats fine (I know its probably not the healthiest). However for the past two days shes lost some weight, and has been having some problems keeping balance and has developed a twitch.

The weight loss and sleeping more was always more common in summer and I honestly don't know whether to chalk most of it up to that or if she really is too ill :(

Cats will pretend to be fine for as long as they can, even long after they are actually fine. My brother-in-law's cat Hobbes had a kidney illness. Hobbes loved him best, and whenever he came home hobbes would run and play and snuggle like normal. But as soon as my brother-in-law left the room, my sister would see Hobbes wheeze and stagger into a corner to rest like he'd been beaten up. He always pretended to be fine for bro-in-law, but he super wasn't. When my sister first noticed this was when they realized it was his time.

It's a hard call :(

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Huntersoninski posted:

Cats will pretend to be fine for as long as they can, even long after they are actually fine. My brother-in-law's cat Hobbes had a kidney illness. Hobbes loved him best, and whenever he came home hobbes would run and play and snuggle like normal. But as soon as my brother-in-law left the room, my sister would see Hobbes wheeze and stagger into a corner to rest like he'd been beaten up. He always pretended to be fine for bro-in-law, but he super wasn't. When my sister first noticed this was when they realized it was his time.

It's a hard call :(

Spot on.

Going off normal food means she isn't feeling good. That she is eating high value food is good, but that's already a sign that you're getting to decision day.

The loss of balance and twitch could be signs of cancer spread, weakness, or any other number of things. If she is a jumper, I worry she could try something she used to be able to and fail at it.

As always, this is an extremely difficult decision to make, especially considering how long she has been around. 24 is quite impressive. I tell my clients who are having a hard time making decisions: It is always hard to know if today is the day, but it is easy to know if yesterday was the day. In my opinion, don't try to get every last second possible as you run the risk of a crisis occurring at an inopportune time - let them go so your last memory is not one of a suffering animal - better to go out on a high note.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
My girlfriend thinks it's mean to spray the cats with water, but how should I tell it to get the gently caress off the table and stop stealing food? I can't put saran wrap on my food while I'm eating it.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

is a small town
Buglord
Fix him a plate.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Boz0r posted:

My girlfriend thinks it's mean to spray the cats with water, but how should I tell it to get the gently caress off the table and stop stealing food? I can't put saran wrap on my food while I'm eating it.

Of course it's mean, that's the point. It's supposed to be something the cat doesn't like so as to train him that bad results accompany the action. It does him no actual harm, so it's ideal for aversive training.

Tell your girlfriend to grow up already.

Bogwoppit
Feb 9, 2012

"Dirty little bin-goblin."

Boz0r posted:

Spray them. In fact if you want to really set it in stone, put down a plate of food when you have a spare afternoon, and spray them every time they go near it.
I had an ex feral that went batshit over any food, he would climb over you to get your meal. We had to shut him in his box for a nap if we wanted to eat without him screaming or going for food.
I got so tired of it, that one day when he wasn an adult, I put some ham on a plate on my lap and sprayed the little pest every time he put his face past the edge of the plate.
Now he won't go near plates, and if you put your plate of food down to answer the door, he moves away from it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Put sticky paw strips and one of those plastic mats with the little nubs on the bottom on the table. Leave the mat with the nubs facing up, so they'll poke the cat but not cause any damage. Do this whenever you're not using the table and it will discourage him from jumping up there. Eventually he'll learn that the table top isn't a fun place to be and will stop jumping up there. Spaying water works but you don't want the cat to associate the spraying with you, so you want to get them as soon as the act occurs and try to make it stealthy so they can't see you doing it. Placing mats and tape is work but it will deter the behavior before you need to react and has the benefit of working even when you're not home.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

drink slurm posted:

I had a cat who passed away very recently at 24 years (approximately, don't know the exact number of months). We let her go on her own time because she really didn't seem to be suffering and seemed clear and bright with both us and the other cats up until the sharp decline at the end. She died in the best possible way; gently, in her sleep, with my dad (her favorite person) holding her in his arms and petting her and telling her what a good cat she was.

Like the other posters said, it's really hard to tell if your cat's suffering or not, so you just have to use your best judgement. Best way I've always heard is to see if they're still eating normally, and it sounds like she is. Eating is the first habit to suffer when a cat doesn't feel good.

Bogwoppit posted:

Spray them. In fact if you want to really set it in stone, put down a plate of food when you have a spare afternoon, and spray them every time they go near it.
I had an ex feral that went batshit over any food, he would climb over you to get your meal. We had to shut him in his box for a nap if we wanted to eat without him screaming or going for food.
I got so tired of it, that one day when he wasn an adult, I put some ham on a plate on my lap and sprayed the little pest every time he put his face past the edge of the plate.
Now he won't go near plates, and if you put your plate of food down to answer the door, he moves away from it.

Sounds like you've just trained your cat to be terrified of plates, not to associate 'oh hey the human doesn't like me going after his food'. Not that letting him climb all over you and stick his nose in your food is any better, but I can't help but wonder if there's a better way. I guess I just tend to think training with positive reinforcement will be far healthier in the long run versus negative.

mephology
Jan 14, 2012

Thanks for the advice on my goober eye cat. It does seem to come and go and have not had a chance to bring up allergies as a possible cause to the vet. Had a question about the other cat that we got at the same time since they were foster sisters and get along well. Kitty 2 was older when we got her, about 10months I think and had been feral until about 6months old. We have now had her for about 16months. She is extremely skittish and frightened all the time is the best way to describe it. Is there is anything that we can do to help break her out of her shell and make her more comfortable. There is no bathroom issues, the vet said she is completely healthy and she eats well.

Her skittishness is evidenced by the following behaviors: there is absolutely no touching of the kitty unless she is laying down in one of two comfy spots where it is too much effort at at that point to move. Once the petting starts, she loves it completely. If you get within about 5 feet of her and she is not laying down, she bolts to another room or under the bed. She does sleep on the bed with us at the foot, but if we get up she jumps under the bed. If guests come over and it is under the bed or into our sectional couch (we have the reclining knob taped so that it does not move when she is in there). These visits by friends or to the vet cause her to hide for at least 6-12 hours after the encounter. She will frequently sit in the room with us if we are watching TV or reading. She does head outside when we let them into our small backyard, but rarely further than 10ft from the door and at any weird sound she bolts back inside.

The strange part is, on the adoption card the foster caregiver mentioned that she was able to hold the kitty and pet her while she was eating. We both held her when looking to adopt her, she was uncomfortable, but nothing beyond being in a shelter would not cause we thought. However, any attempt that we have made to hold her has resulted in a hiss and bite attempt (this was attempted only once). We are never able to get close to her while she is feeding and will not come to her dish unless we are 10+ feet away from it. Vet visits are an ordeal because we have to corner her in a spot and scruff her to get her into the carrier, definitely a two person job. Is there something that we can do or is this just her personality?

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
The problem with punishment is that it's hard to do correctly, and if you aren't 100% consistent it won't work. I have a cat who constantly goes after food and the only thing that worked in the end was to clicker train him and train him to go a certain "spot" when there is food out. He'd sit on the dining table stool while we were making food and lay in the cat tree while we were eating.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Put sticky paw strips and one of those plastic mats with the little nubs on the bottom on the table. Leave the mat with the nubs facing up, so they'll poke the cat but not cause any damage. Do this whenever you're not using the table and it will discourage him from jumping up there. Eventually he'll learn that the table top isn't a fun place to be and will stop jumping up there. Spaying water works but you don't want the cat to associate the spraying with you, so you want to get them as soon as the act occurs and try to make it stealthy so they can't see you doing it. Placing mats and tape is work but it will deter the behavior before you need to react and has the benefit of working even when you're not home.

And then you learn that the cat likes to find tape/other things with adhesive and huff the smells for awhile before chewing it to bits. :catdrugs:

:(

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
Just stocking up on cat essentials before I get my kitty in a few weeks - advice on what grooming equipment I'll need for a short-haired cat? I read somewhere that I'll need a rubber brush, soft-bristle brush, and a fine-toothed brush, but that seems a bit excessive.

Also, what's the deal with tooth-brushing?

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
Get the Furminator. There is seriously nothing that comes close to the Furminator for hair removal.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

dongsbot 9000 posted:

Get the Furminator. There is seriously nothing that comes close to the Furminator for hair removal.

How often do you furminate your cats? I have one but am hesitant to over-use it for fear of hurting them

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

is a small town
Buglord
My cat doesn't like the furminator at all. But I subject him to it anyway because it's the very best cat comb. However, trying to hold on to him and prevent him from wriggling away is pretty difficult so I only brush him every couple months. I know I'm being lazy and should do it more often.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.

Ema Nymton posted:

My cat doesn't like the furminator at all. But I subject him to it anyway because it's the very best cat comb. However, trying to hold on to him and prevent him from wriggling away is pretty difficult so I only brush him every couple months. I know I'm being lazy and should do it more often.

You haven't tried rewarding him with treats if he sits and endures it?

ghost host
Apr 17, 2010

ain't got no cash
ain't go no style
Looking for some answers regarding cat stress/illness.

I have an affectionate, ~12-year-old indoor female, and she's the only pet in my place.

Recently, from Friday to Wednesday, I spent very little time at home. Basically stopping in about once a day to change her water, top off her food and maybe scoop her box. I left windows open and a radio on for light and noise. I noticed on Monday/Tuesday she had developed a pretty harsh meow, as if she had been crying more than usual (she's pretty vocal/chirpy any other time). Beyond that, nothing irregular.

Wednesday morning I came home and while she usually trots to the door as soon as I put my key in, I had to go find her behind my computer. She seemed lethargic, and I noticed she had dry heaved when I picked her up to place her closer to me. That happened a few more times before I had to run to work again. That's when I caught that the water dish had gone generally untouched. Food dish had definitely been eaten from at that point, but in the past ~24 hours I'm about positive she hasn't had food or water. She did pee in the litterbox this morning, but nothing else since.

I picked up wet food to encourage some liquid in her, but she's always refused it and yesterday/today was no different. I cuddled her last night while I fell asleep and she purred/nuzzled, still a little distant than usual, but better. When I came home from work today, she seems as bad - if not worse - than yesterday morning. Still lethargic, still dry heaving a few times, and hiding between couches. One other odd thing I noticed is that this morning, she didn't bury her pee. This has never come up before, maybe relevant? I don't know.

So yeah; is my cat pissed off at me and ill from stress, after being left alone quite a bit for several days? Are there any other things I should be checking for or be worried about? I'm not sure if this is something that usually fades after a couple days, or if I should be rushing her to a vet tomorrow if I see no improvement.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

is a small town
Buglord

bubblelubble posted:

You haven't tried rewarding him with treats if he sits and endures it?

He's not really motivated that way. v:geno:v

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

Huntersoninski posted:

How often do you furminate your cats? I have one but am hesitant to over-use it for fear of hurting them

As often as I can... my cats are unlikely to sit still for a good bit so I work in a few brushes every time I see them laying on the ground and I'm not busy. I try to give them a good brushing at least once a week.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

diabeetz posted:

So yeah; is my cat pissed off at me and ill from stress, after being left alone quite a bit for several days? Are there any other things I should be checking for or be worried about? I'm not sure if this is something that usually fades after a couple days, or if I should be rushing her to a vet tomorrow if I see no improvement.

Take your cat to the vet ASAP. Cats don't stop eating and start vomiting because they're pissed at you. Suddenly not burying waste is also a classic sign that your cat is ill.

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!
Quick question -- did a quick search of the first page, but didn't see any suggestions, so sorry if this has come up before.

We've got a 10mo kitten, indoors-only. However, I spend a fairly significant time out in the woods, and we live in a condo building (across the hall and both upstairs neighbors all have cats, but they never interact). With our last cat (15y of age, with the last ~5mo in our current living situation; sadly had to put him down due to a horrific vaccine-associated sarcoma) we never bothered using a flea/tick treatment since it was during the winter months and I wasn't outdoors so much.

Is it worth us using a tick/flea treatment, if only to prevent anything coming in off myself or possibly in the rare circumstance one of the other cats (across-the-hall occasionally takes their cat for a walk out front on a leash)? If so, what brand is suggested, and should we use it year-round or only in the non-winter/non-outdoors months?

I've got to be honest, I was never a cat person (even though my girlfriend is), we had a dog when I was a kid, so cats are fairly new to me.

Wonder_Bread fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jun 6, 2014

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!

drink slurm posted:

Double-posting here, but wanted to chime in on this. To begin, my sympathy to you.

Our last cat had a vaccine-associated sarcoma. My girlfriend prior to us moving in and her bringing the cat into our household had the tumor surgically removed twice, but it grew back a third time. They couldn't remove it the third time without taking ribs and he would need to undergo chemo, an operation we agreed that the cat wouldn't understand and was not worth putting him through. Approx ~4mo before we had to put him down, his tumor breached the skin, and occasionally leaked pus. However, he seemed to be normal and not in pain, so we bandaged him up and kept it clean.

One morning we had woken up, and the tumor had burst, and it was severely leaking. We had to make the decision that at that point, it was in his best interest to put him down, as hard as it was. It was the hardest decision she has had to make in her life, and ultimately it came down to the quality of life for the cat.

I guess what I am trying to say is that it's a hard decision, but ultimately one that will "feel right" when you finally have to make it.

I should add that the night before it burst, he spent the entire night snuggling in bed with us. We took this as a sign that he knew what was coming and wanted to spend his last time with us. So, please understand that she might not want to hide from you, but want to enjoy your company and relationship as a sign of acceptance and trust for looking out for her well-being.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

diabeetz posted:

Worth echoing a previous poster but yes jesus christ take your cat to a vet.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Can any cat learn to get along with other cats? I adopted my parents' cat about three weeks ago, and she seems to be enjoying living as an indoor-only apartment cat without dogs (I don't think she's ever lived with other cats). However, now that she's indoor-only, she has so much energy that I can't get out through playing. Her eyesight is pretty bad, so she can't chase a laser dot, and every wand toy I buy ends up demolished shortly after. She's nearly ten, so I'm surprised she's so energetic. I also worry about her being lonely, since I work part-time and attend classes. Would getting another cat to keep her company and play with her only end in tears?

(Also, she never buries her poop. She's perfectly content otherwise, she just doesn't do it, and her last vet check (over 600 dollars) said she was fine. Why won't she bury her crap?)

Sasarella
Jul 5, 2004

Wholesome Sassy Sweetness

Boz0r posted:

SSSCAT - It sprays air at the cat when it sense movement. It might be tricky to position so you don't set it off, but get a couple of these and set them near you guys but out of the sensors eyes and enjoy. It's quite hilarious.

Another option is a Scatmat, although, you risk shocking yourself there. You could place it on the floor from where ever she jumps. SSScat would likely work best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009

drink slurm posted:

God drat, 24 years old! You must have taken pretty good care of her and she probably had a pretty dang good life. Sorry your buddy isnt doing well :(