Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Opposing Farce posted:

The vibe I get from this change in position is they initially didn't intend to do DLC, but at some point midway through development they realized they had some areas they wouldn't be able to finish in time, so instead of letting the work they'd already done go to waste or trying to jam those areas in half-finished they decided to polish them up for a DLC release.

:psyduck: Is it impossible these are entirely new areas that only started development post release?

I mean unless you have some evidence, you're purely speculating. I don't know why you'd assume the worst.

Unless you think this schedule is impossible unless they already have work done?

The feel I get is that they didn't intend to do DLC, finished the game (holy poo poo games are so much work, when you're in the middle of one that's all you can think of) and then took two days off, and then came back to work and realized the game sold well and they wouldn't actually mind making a bit more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I don't think anyone's complaining about getting more Dark Souls 2, just that some people want more Dark Souls 2 without having to pay more money for more Dark Souls 2. Which is dumb, but you can't really disagree with the desires behind it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I really don't get how you could think this game needed to be even LONGER. Its huge. Even ignoring everything that is strictly optional its still far longer than Dark Souls.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I bet Vendrick did have vassal rulers, at least at some point. It'd explain the common thread behind all those sweepy curvy symmetrical decorative crests that look almost but not quite identical. Lion shields, stone parmas, Syan capes, manikin bucklers...

Nibble posted:

I've always wondered if these other kings we hear about only ruled over smaller areas, or if they ruled over all of Drangleic, but at a different point in time. It seems plausible to me that the Old Iron King ruled Drangleic from the Iron Keep until his downfall, whoever ruled Heide did the same until their castle sunk, and Vendrick came along after them and built a new, slightly more inhabitable castle.

I dunno. His knight captains have Vendrick's twin drake crest plastered all over their enormous shoulderpads. If they really predated the commander-in-chief of the dragon cavalry, I'd assume the O.I.K. would have used a symbol he liked more. Something like bulls.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009
I learned of the season pass an hour ago and From already has my money. I would have paid much more!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I'm pumped.

I spy an Everlasting Dragon skeleton in the trailer! I wonder whose it'll be? It's not Kalameet, because the dead dragon has three big horns. It could possibly be Seath, but he'd have had to get a minor appearance upgrade.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I'm sure that trailer would be really exciting if it actually loaded for me :argh:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

3 more Kings for DLC? Sounds like 3 re-skins of Steve Vendrick.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oldpainless posted:

DLC bosses will be Fire Vendrick, Ice Vendrick, and Water Vendrick. All of them do magic damage. Calling it now.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

:psyduck: Is it impossible these are entirely new areas that only started development post release?

I mean unless you have some evidence, you're purely speculating. I don't know why you'd assume the worst.

Unless you think this schedule is impossible unless they already have work done?

The feel I get is that they didn't intend to do DLC, finished the game (holy poo poo games are so much work, when you're in the middle of one that's all you can think of) and then took two days off, and then came back to work and realized the game sold well and they wouldn't actually mind making a bit more.

Well, we know that Artorias of the Abyss was born from cut content in DS1, so it's safe to assume that these three have similar origins. But I don't think that's a bad thing. You're right, a game takes a fuckload of work to make, so by the very nature of it there's gonna be ideas that were explored but didn't make the final product. I think it's better for both developers and players for DLC to restore and expand on something that got cut, rather than insist on creating something new whole cloth.

'Course, lots of games have DLC that doesn't expand on poo poo, but From has a pretty good track record.

scamtank posted:

I bet Vendrick did have vassal rulers, at least at some point. It'd explain the common thread behind all those sweepy curvy symmetrical decorative crests that look almost but not quite identical. Lion shields, stone parmas, Syan capes, manikin bucklers...

I dunno. His knight captains have Vendrick's twin drake crest plastered all over their enormous shoulderpads. If they really predated the commander-in-chief of the dragon cavalry, I'd assume the O.I.K. would have used a symbol he liked more. Something like bulls.

Yeah, my impression was that the OIK was Vendrick's vassal at some point. I don't remember what item description made me think that, but I imagine Vendrick's Drangleic as something like the Holy Roman Empire - you know, the heraldry gets all complicated, there are a bazillion symbols taken from various conquered lands that get incorporated into a royal seal. I mean, we know Vendrick made a hobby of conquering, for one. And Drangleic is pretty big, I bet it could support multiple smaller kingdoms/fiefdoms/medieval fantasy whatevers that got swallowed.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm definitely just speculating, but considering how they changed their tune on DLC between when the game was announced and when it was finished, From's MO with DLC in the past (Artorias of the Abyss was cut content they finished and released as post-launch DLC), and since it is a pretty short turnover time for what is presumably a significant chunk of content (maybe I'm overestimating how much time producing content takes but I imagine 2-3 months is a pretty short time to make a completely new area, bosses, equipment/magic/etc. from scratch) I think it makes sense to speculate these DLC areas were at least partially planned as part of the base game. Besides, unless you never plan to make DLC at all and only come back to it after some time has passed, nobody waits until the game is out to start work on DLC. There's a significant chunk of time between when the game is completed, or at least close enough to gold that you no longer have people making new models, maps, etc. all the time, and when it actually comes out, so it doesn't make sense not to put people to work on the DLC right away.

I don't know why you think I'm assuming the worst, though; putting content into DLC instead of just cutting it seems like a fine use of the model to me. I bought the PC version of DS1 so I never had to pay extra for AotA, but it was a really great chunk of game and I wouldn't have minded paying an extra $15 or whatever the price was for it instead of never getting to see it at all or having it forced into the game half-finished, probably at the expense of some of the other areas (and DS1 had some clearly unfinished levels to begin with). I like Dark Souls and I don't mind paying some money to get more Dark Souls.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Maybe there will actually be some enemies that deal lightning damage. I can write my name in the dust that's accumulated on my thunder quartz ring.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
New magic is gonna be dustomancy and there will be more sweet robes with stars on them.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

oldpainless posted:

His name is Rick Vendrick, tag team champion along with Victor Velstadt. You will address him properly :colbert:

fuxxo
Feb 17, 2010

Fucking Pokemon, how do they Surf?
I hope everything in this DLC is resistant to strike damage.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
At the end of the three DLCs, you go back to the Abyss and you fight all Four Kings at once :getin:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Nahxela posted:

At the end of the three DLCs, you go back to the Abyss and you fight all Four Kings at once :getin:

*All four of Gwyn's Knights come in for a HUGE party*

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Cowcaster posted:

*All four of Gwyn's Knights come in for a HUGE party*

What about Smough? Are we going to leave him out in the cold?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nahxela posted:

This would rule.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

havenwaters posted:

Couldn't fit through the door

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Still holding out hope that this piece of concept art is reflected in the DLC. Sunken King seems to be a good fit for it:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Beard Yawn posted:

New magic is gonna be dustomancy and there will be more sweet robes with stars on them.

Dark Souls 3 is just a neverending quest to get the most stars on your robes.

Oh and something about a comet.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

havenwaters posted:

After you kill all of the knights, Smough comes in and smashes them all and absorbs their powers. He does giant drop kicks with lightning damage that throws out black goo and Lloyd Talisman's effect.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

f#a# posted:

Still holding out hope that this piece of concept art is reflected in the DLC. Sunken King seems to be a good fit for it:

We already have a boss that is an annoying spider.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

havenwaters posted:

Smough was a cannibalistic stalker who creeped everyone (except Ornstein I suppose) out with his desperate attempts to become the fifth musketeer, so yes. gently caress that guy.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

f#a# posted:

Looks like whatever that was ended up being the Duke's Freja.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

f#a# posted:

Don't look now but that concept art is already in the game.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
After bioshock I told myself never again will I buy dogshit dlc passes while the developer limps to the finish line.

From Software isn't a hack developer though. Just bought my pass, bring it on.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
The final secret boss will be the Smelter riding on the back of the Flamelurker, with a Maneater perched on each horn, in the Bed of Chaos arena.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Captain Oblivious posted:

His name is Rick Vendrick, tag team champion along with Victor Velstadt. You will address him properly :colbert:

LOL wtf are you even talking about? You're being wilfully dense here. If you'll refer to my exhaustive YT Lore series I made instead of looking for a job you'll find

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Smough + Artorias in a room with water. Ill take my check From.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Flytrap posted:

The final secret boss will be the Smelter riding on the back of the Flamelurker, with a Maneater perched on each horn, in the Bed of Chaos arena.

It'll be the Dragonrider's comically small dragon.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Flytrap posted:

I thought it'd be smelter riding the ancient dragon in a room full of poison with poison statues lining the outside of the arena.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

f#a# posted:

Where did you find this? I'd love to look at some of the concept art for this game.

Fighting a giant spider made out of crumbling ruins would of been way better than the Freja fight. Probably. Maybe. Actually it easily could have been worse given From's track record with massive bosses.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Inspector_666 posted:

Dark Souls 3 is just a neverending quest to get the most stars on your robes.

Oh and something about a comet.

Ugh, I'm sick of DS3 having so many giant comet-oid bosses in armor. Just orbit to the left and their tail can't hit you at all.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
They might put in some more shout-backs to the old game.
The secret boss will be Artorias and Sif, finally reunited. In a room full of dogs.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Hey again King's Field 4. It's nice to see FromSoft throwing another area from you into DkS2. Sunken King's area sure does look like the ancient city and its surroundings.

Never stop, Fromsoft :allears:. Soon enough you'll be able to rerelease Dark Souls as the King's Field 4 remake you always wanted it to be.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I bet we get to fight 16 gargoyles this time.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
If I use GeDoSaTo to lock my FPS at 30, will that fix the weapon degradation bug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Opposing Farce posted:

I'm definitely just speculating, but considering how they changed their tune on DLC between when the game was announced and when it was finished, From's MO with DLC in the past (Artorias of the Abyss was cut content they finished and released as post-launch DLC), and since it is a pretty short turnover time for what is presumably a significant chunk of content (maybe I'm overestimating how much time producing content takes but I imagine 2-3 months is a pretty short time to make a completely new area, bosses, equipment/magic/etc. from scratch) I think it makes sense to speculate these DLC areas were at least partially planned as part of the base game. Besides, unless you never plan to make DLC at all and only come back to it after some time has passed, nobody waits until the game is out to start work on DLC. There's a significant chunk of time between when the game is completed, or at least close enough to gold that you no longer have people making new models, maps, etc. all the time, and when it actually comes out, so it doesn't make sense not to put people to work on the DLC right away.

I don't know why you think I'm assuming the worst, though; putting content into DLC instead of just cutting it seems like a fine use of the model to me. I bought the PC version of DS1 so I never had to pay extra for AotA, but it was a really great chunk of game and I wouldn't have minded paying an extra $15 or whatever the price was for it instead of never getting to see it at all or having it forced into the game half-finished, probably at the expense of some of the other areas (and DS1 had some clearly unfinished levels to begin with). I like Dark Souls and I don't mind paying some money to get more Dark Souls.
You understand that content-wise the game was most likely locked in around the start of the year, right?