Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Yeah, it's the opinions things that I don't like and are why I'm not using it. I'll hack around the things that actually break, like door keys and Fiora, and I'm not using weapons on people whose new classes can't use them, but the rebalancing etc. kind of flies in the face of randomization in the first place. We're doing this to have silly funtimes, not to have a ~*~strategic experience~*~.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The characters keeping their old weapon ranks actually makes this sound interesting, instead of just completely aggravating. I'll probably do a run of this myself, soon.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Iunno, I liked the characters not having their old weapon ranks. It made it feel more like I was actually working within the confines of what I was given. As for the rebalancing, the only thing I really noticed was that Pent kind of sucked, and, well, I've used Pent in every single one of my 20+ runs of the game, the man could use a break.

Speaking of, I won't flood the thread, but here's what I got for my run. Note the complete lack of thieves/assassins. That was fun.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Endorph posted:

Iunno, I liked the characters not having their old weapon ranks. It made it feel more like I was actually working within the confines of what I was given. As for the rebalancing, the only thing I really noticed was that Pent kind of sucked, and, well, I've used Pent in every single one of my 20+ runs of the game, the man could use a break.

Speaking of, I won't flood the thread, but here's what I got for my run. Note the complete lack of thieves/assassins. That was fun.

Man, your athos was the only one with >25 str/magic. It's the attack of the balanced/speedy untits

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Endorph posted:

I just want silly things like Cleric Eliwood to happen, but not feel all that annoyed when actually playing through the chapters. This isn't really the kind of mod I'd go for when wanting a real challenge.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Would Cleric Hector/Lyn even be doable on their paths? At least Hector has Matthew.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
Playing this with the fix patch and holy poo poo Eliwood. This is apparently the alternate universe where he actually lives up to the title of greatest knight in Lycia.

Level 4 with everything but Res at 10. :getin:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I guess, but playing with the fix patch I haven't really noticed any 'opinion' changes that were especially intrusive. I tried going without but I was kind of soured when I found Serra and Erk literally unusable having retained their magic skills.

I suppose 'hack it more' is a legit answer but for me it feels like every time I have to do that, I'm de-randomizing, and thus providing less of a silly funtime experience.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

neongrey posted:

I guess, but playing with the fix patch I haven't really noticed any 'opinion' changes that were especially intrusive. I tried going without but I was kind of soured when I found Serra and Erk literally unusable having retained their magic skills.

I suppose 'hack it more' is a legit answer but for me it feels like every time I have to do that, I'm de-randomizing, and thus providing less of a silly funtime experience.

The fix patch is admittedly really stupid. Fortunately, most of their 'balance changes' are easy enough to revert, but it's still dumb that happens in the first place.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Momomo posted:

I just want silly things like Cleric Eliwood to happen, but not feel all that annoyed when actually playing through the chapters. This isn't really the kind of mod I'd go for when wanting a real challenge.
Which... is what the fix patch is good for? It doesn't remove Cleric Eliwood and it gives you tons of door keys so nto getting any thieves doesn't make the game unwinnable.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Fix patches changes Shamans to have 4 move. Kind of irritating and it's the only thing holding back my Raven. He even felt like getting some defence.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

It's not against the patch legal terms or whatever to trim out all the unnecessary bullshit and re-host it, is it?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Mysticblade posted:

Fix patches changes Shamans to have 4 move. Kind of irritating and it's the only thing holding back my Raven. He even felt like getting some defence.

Why would they do that? :psyduck: Removing weapon ranks I don't care about but this is just inexplicable.

JTDistortion
Mar 28, 2010
It's even more inexplicable when the soldier class they added results in things like this:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
The fix patch is dumb and i keep meaning to upload a version without all the stupid changes.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

JTDistortion posted:

It's even more inexplicable when the soldier class they added results in things like this:

So is soldier like a Trainee class in the fix patch? I mean, your Dart there can promote again, right?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

From what I understand yes, it's exactly like Trainee except you get 20 levels instead of 10. I wonder if this puts him in an Awakening situation where he's still technically level 21 or if the GBA games have no way of accounting for this kind of thing.

JTDistortion
Mar 28, 2010
Yup, a soldier gets 20 levels as soldier, 20 as cavalier, and 20 as paladin. It's ludicrous. And no, he does not count as level 21. He's just a regular old level 1 unpromoted unit that can go toe to toe with promoted units. I think they could actually adjust experience gain to account for the soldier levels, but it would end up lowering experience gain for any cavalier. That would screw anyone that came as a cavalier instead of a soldier.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

JTDistortion posted:

I think they could actually adjust experience gain to account for the soldier levels, but it would end up lowering experience gain for any cavalier. That would screw anyone that came as a cavalier instead of a soldier.
Wouldn't the better fix be to have the soldier go straight to a promoted class? Paladin, in this case?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Nihilarian posted:

Wouldn't the better fix be to have the soldier go straight to a promoted class? Paladin, in this case?

They tried that first, but it was literally just a downgraded cavalier at that point. Not that super god cavalier is really any better though. To make soldier work they really need to pull in one of those halberdier spritesheets since it wasn't intended to be a promoted class.

Or just axe the idea because pc soldiers are kinda dumb.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

They'd have to make the promotion bonuses on that Halberdier crazy good to make it not terrible though, Soldier has terrible base stats. I guess having a super soldier on a horse is decent payoff for carting around such a garbage unit long enough to promote.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

FoolyCharged posted:

Or just axe the idea because pc soldiers are kinda dumb.

Nephenee disagrees. :colbert:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, I have a soft-spot for the soldiers, though I am of the opinion they'd work better promoting into the General line because Amelia was awesome as a general.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

Nephenee disagrees. :colbert:

I think the fact that she's the only memorable one they made just argues the point. Doubly so when you realize that she was only interesting because of wrath. The class just doesn't really bring anything new or interesting to the table compared to other classes.

I'd be super game for Intelligent systems to try to make the class stand out some, because the idea of a lowly grunt becoming a hero is fun. In the context of the randomizer mod though, I just don't see a way to include it as a player class without losing the intent of playing through fe7 with things mixed up. The class isn't designed to function as a pc.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Easiest way to fix Soldiers is to make the myrmidon to the knight's mercenary. Toss in a crit bonus like Swordmasters if you really need them to be further differentiated.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Artix posted:

Easiest way to fix Soldiers is to make the myrmidon to the knight's mercenary. Toss in a crit bonus like Swordmasters if you really need them to be further differentiated.
I think that's what they're doing in FE7x, right? I know I saw it somewhere, and I think it's there.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Nihilarian posted:

I think that's what they're doing in FE7x, right? I know I saw it somewhere, and I think it's there.

It's what we're doing in Awful Emblem at least.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I've just started Genealogy of the Holy War, so there's probably something I'm not understanding. Because Iron Axes can't be a static -18 speed to the wielder. Also, is there a checklist of important things to remember somewhere?

In other news, finished FE6 Hard. It's a pretty good difficulty in that I felt pressured to use all the mechanics available to me, while not feeling like the enemy boosts are unreasonably hard, but kind of levels off hard between 6's terrible weapon accuracy being extremely exploitable, a lot of good units getting Hard mode bonuses, and the drastically increased enemy reinforcement waves making you promote sooner.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yes, that's exactly what they are. Never assume in FE4 that something isn't horribly unbalanced.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

FoolyCharged posted:

I think the fact that she's the only memorable one they made just argues the point. Doubly so when you realize that she was only interesting because of wrath. The class just doesn't really bring anything new or interesting to the table compared to other classes.

Uhhh how could you forget Devdan and Danved? :colbert:

The problem isn't that they're not unmemorable, it's that we've only gotten 5 of them across the entire series.

Last Celebration posted:

I've just started Genealogy of the Holy War, so there's probably something I'm not understanding. Because Iron Axes can't be a static -18 speed to the wielder. Also, is there a checklist of important things to remember somewhere?

Yes. Yes they are. Welcome to FE4!

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!

Last Celebration posted:

Hahahahaha. The Events and Secret Events pages on serenesforest.net/fe4 should have you covered for important things to remember.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Alrighty, is there anything to keep in mind about the game in general then? Like pairings? Is there anything that can get me something dumb like a mage kid with 10% magic and 50% strength or something?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Last Celebration posted:

Alrighty, is there anything to keep in mind about the game in general then? Like pairings? Is there anything that can get me something dumb like a mage kid with 10% magic and 50% strength or something?

I don't think it's super hard to screw up pairings.

In general a mage kid will typically have at least one parent that gives decent magic.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Last Celebration posted:

Serenes Forest has a pairing guide too, as well as a list of what growths the kids will have with each parent.

Basically if you have an FE-related question, the answer is somewhere on Serenes Forest.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Last Celebration posted:

It's totally possible to do that. Welcome to FE4!

The game is totally beatable even with garbage pairings, but unlike FE13, you can very much screw your kids over. When pairing people up, keep in mind inheritances--especially holy weapons, skills, and then growths.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

SC Bracer posted:

It's totally possible to do that. Welcome to FE4!
When pairing people up, keep in mind inheritances--especially holy weapons, skills, and then growths.

Not always, though: Lex and Tiltyu are predestined, on paper, Wrath and Ambush wreck everything up, but in practice, Tinny and Arthur just don't have enough Magic and Strength to be useful.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!

Last Celebration posted:

I can give you my recommendations at least. For the most part, if two people have a conversation, they won't be an awful pair, though there are exceptions. Because of how inheritance works, you'll usually want women to marry someone who can use the same weapon type as their son, so that the father can pass down weapons. For example, Aideen's son is a bow knight, so you'll probably want her to marry Midir or Jamka. Again, there are exceptions. I think Fin makes the best husband for Lachesis, even though Lachesis' son can't use lances, and Lex is great match for Brigid despite not being able to pass down any weapons. In general, Aideen wants to marry a bow user, Fury and Tiltyu want to marry mages, you can't really screw up Aira's or Sylvia's kids, Lachesis wants to marry anyone with Pursuit and decent strength, Brigid's son will always be good, but her daughter probably wants Lex or Holyn as a father, Lex wants to pass down Elite to someone, and Levin wants to pass down Holsety (which means marrying Fury, Tiltyu, or Sylvia). The biggest thing to watch out for is Levin. It's kind of easy for him to marry Sylvia by mistake if you take a long time, which is a pretty big waste of potential. My personal favorite pairings are Aideen/Midir, Aira/Holyn, Lachesis/Fin, Sylvia/Claude, Fury/Levin, Tiltyu/Azel, and Brigid/Lex.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Wind God Sety posted:

The biggest thing to watch out for is Levin. It's kind of easy for him to marry Sylvia by mistake if you take a long time, which is a pretty big waste of potential. My personal favorite pairings are Aideen/Midir, Aira/Holyn, Lachesis/Fin, Sylvia/Claude, Fury/Levin, Tiltyu/Azel, and Brigid/Lex.

A conversation in either chapter 3 or 4 between Fury and Sylvia is usually what trips people up: Either can initiates it, and whoever does gets a huge boost in relationship value with Levin.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Over the past few days I finally sat down and finished FE6. It was actually pretty good, though it had more than its fair share of problems I expected a worse game. I'll probably start on FE4 next.

I don't really have plans to do FE6 hard mode, but I probably should at some point; I felt like I got ahead of the curve a bit too early and the last third or so of the game was pretty easy. Except for a few restarts delivered by enemy reinforcements moving on the turn they appear, which I was usually prepared for but every now and then they'd get Merlinus or Astol when I wasn't careful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

You don't want to play FE6 hard mode unless you *really* want a challenge, and you're okay with support grinding. It's alright once you get to the backhalf of the game but the early-going and a few middle chapters are torture.