Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skiant
Mar 10, 2013

cbirdsong posted:

Is this the right thread to ask what the fastest way to compile Less CSS locally on a Mac is? I currently use LiveReload, and it can take a second or three to finish recompiling after a file is saved. Are task runners like Grunt or Gulp appreciably faster?

It's better to use either Gulp/Grunt (I like Gulp better) or a tool like Koala and build your file, then use LiveReload to detect changes in your compiled file and reload it as needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Kobayashi posted:

Are you trying to do something like include Bootstrap's LESS files from scratch? If so, I'd just compile those into a CSS file, then include that file in your actual app's LESS file.

If you compile the entire thing, you can change Bootstrap variables on a per-project basis, which is a much easier way to change colors than trying to override all the elements they apply to.

Chris!
Dec 2, 2004

E

cbirdsong posted:

Is this the right thread to ask what the fastest way to compile Less CSS locally on a Mac is? I currently use LiveReload, and it can take a second or three to finish recompiling after a file is saved. Are task runners like Grunt or Gulp appreciably faster?

I don't know about Less, but I found compiling Sass went a lot faster when I started using Grunt, it typically takes about half a second as opposed to about 3 before.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

cbirdsong posted:

If you compile the entire thing, you can change Bootstrap variables on a per-project basis, which is a much easier way to change colors than trying to override all the elements they apply to.

Yeah, I've done that before. Once you have that to your liking, you can use the included output. Alternatively, brocccoli.js is a tree-based build system that only looks for changed files, and is supposedly much faster, so that might be something to look into. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, though.

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.

Chris! posted:

I don't know about Less, but I found compiling Sass went a lot faster when I started using Grunt, it typically takes about half a second as opposed to about 3 before.

Libsass—a C implementation of the Sass compiler—is even faster (with a few caveats), and you can use it in Grunt/Gulp via gunt-sass/gulp-sass.

For me it was the difference between a large project compiling in 6 seconds or 0.2 seconds.

EDIT: Actually, if you're getting half-second compiles you might be using Libsass already. Ruby usually takes at least a second.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

cbirdsong posted:

You could just use the javascript library while you're developing.

code:
<link rel="stylesheet/less" type="text/css" href="styles.less" />
<script src="//cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/less.js/1.7.0/less.min.js type="text/javascript"></script>

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe
So I know this might be verboten here, but has anyone else been playing around with Macaw? I heard of it via the Big Web Show and found it pretty handy for wireframing and just general dicking around with websites. There seem to be a lot of other responsive design tools out now like Pinegrow and Froont. Is anyone using these in their professional workflow? Are they shaping up to be Dreamweaver all over again or do you guys think it'll actually be handy in getting good sites done?

chami fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 5, 2014

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
What's the easiest way in a web form to have someone browse to a file on their local machine, but only submit the path to that file?

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Withnail posted:

What's the easiest way in a web form to have someone browse to a file on their local machine, but only submit the path to that file?

http://jsfiddle.net/vBR6S/1/ you can use jquery to get the val() of the form element, but it's not gonna do what you want. I checked this in Chrome, and it gives me a "C:\fakepath\filename.txt". I could see it as a potential security problem (why the hell would I want to expose my directory structure to wahtever website?)

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
It's for an intranet thing, but I see why it would be a security issue. I wonder if MVC is passing the path through because it's on the same machine.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Withnail posted:

It's for an intranet thing, but I see why it would be a security issue. I wonder if MVC is passing the path through because it's on the same machine.

Weird IE security zone shenanigans?

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Can a few of you kind fellows do me a favor? Do you get a warning from your browser when viewing my site, or does your browser trust it right away?

https://cyantist.org/

My chrome installations never seem to trust anything but really major sites, and it's kind of annoying.

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Can a few of you kind fellows do me a favor? Do you get a warning from your browser when viewing my site, or does your browser trust it right away?

My chrome installations never seem to trust anything but really major sites, and it's kind of annoying.

Got a warning in safari on iPhone.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Android Firefox trusted it, Chrome did not.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

PC Firefox/Chrome: no warning.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Thanks guys. It feels like black magic trying to get the cert to be accepted by browsers... ugh.

Edit: Mac Firefox complains about it. Here's the info it displays:

I wonder if I can get Comodo to fill in the missing Organizational Unit? I guess I could fill in the missing Organization too.

My Rhythmic Crotch fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 6, 2014

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OU doesn't matter unless maybe for EV certs. My bet is that you're not serving the intermediate cert chain correctly. Browsers will cache them so you can get cases where a site works even with a broken configuration, because the browser has recently seen a cert with the same chain.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=cyantist.org&hideResults=on

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Seems Comodo is issuing different cert files than they used to. I was indeed missing one of the certs from my chain. You need to do this now:

cat www_my_domain_com.crt COMODORSADomainValidationSecureServerCA.crt COMODORSAAddTrustCA.crt AddTrustExternalCARoot.crt >> ssl-bundle.crt

(code tag removed)

Thanks for your help fellas!

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
As of Heartbleed, their KB wasn't up-to-date with what they're issuing, either. Great fun when you've got a whole bunch of reissued certs to install!

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
Is NameCheap still considered the go-to for domain reg/transfers and SSL certs?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Quick question about captchas/spam

We have a warranty registration form, and we get some spam even with a captcha. Someone suggested using the serial number of the item they are registering to decide whether the form is legit.

Since the web site and the actual database with the products in it are not linked, I thought about having a regex or something that tests to see if the serial number follows the correct format - 3 letters followed by 7 numbers.

Are spam bots smart enough to see the regex (Javascript) and then create a string that satisfies it? Would we have to do it server-side?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Do it on the server for the sake of spam and on the client for the sake of usability. Spam bots will always bypass JS validation. Shouldn't be a problem unless someone is going to the trouble to write a program to spam your page in particular (they aren't)

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Bob Morales posted:

Quick question about captchas/spam

We have a warranty registration form, and we get some spam even with a captcha. Someone suggested using the serial number of the item they are registering to decide whether the form is legit.

Since the web site and the actual database with the products in it are not linked, I thought about having a regex or something that tests to see if the serial number follows the correct format - 3 letters followed by 7 numbers.

Are spam bots smart enough to see the regex (Javascript) and then create a string that satisfies it? Would we have to do it server-side?

A normal bot won't do that, a specific attack will.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

pipebomb posted:

Is NameCheap still considered the go-to for domain reg/transfers and SSL certs?

There's a recent discussion of registrars in the hosting thread (starts near the bottom of this page):
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3289126&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=81

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Anybody want to recommend a good front-end theme/framework for building admin/reporting applications? I'm mostly interested in solutions that offer tons of widgets (ie various types of charts, graphs, gauges) and modern look, and responsive design. Price is mostly not an object (the frontrunner so far is a c-note).

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I need to bone up on like basic web management stuff - best practices, version control, what I should look for in hosts, security measures, that sort of thing - as I've basically being promoted from defacto intranet/internet maintainer because I can code into being in charge of the technical web strategy under guidance by Marketing. I have pretty much only experience doing personal projects where I didn't have to give a poo poo about being hacked or social media, and I have no clue how to scale this into a corporate environment.

Work is willing to upskill me, but the only courses I can find are in the area of "this is how you make HTML and use FTP" and "spend 70 hours a week crash-coursing Ruby on Rails". I was hoping people here knew of a certification that might cover this type of stuff, or any good web resources where I can start getting my head around how you actually manage a web site rather than just update and code it.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Ghostlight posted:

I need to bone up on like basic web management stuff - best practices, version control, what I should look for in hosts, security measures, that sort of thing - as I've basically being promoted from defacto intranet/internet maintainer because I can code into being in charge of the technical web strategy under guidance by Marketing. I have pretty much only experience doing personal projects where I didn't have to give a poo poo about being hacked or social media, and I have no clue how to scale this into a corporate environment.

Work is willing to upskill me, but the only courses I can find are in the area of "this is how you make HTML and use FTP" and "spend 70 hours a week crash-coursing Ruby on Rails". I was hoping people here knew of a certification that might cover this type of stuff, or any good web resources where I can start getting my head around how you actually manage a web site rather than just update and code it.

Version control - Use Git and make sure to use branching when developing new features. MAKE SURE THE REPO IS WELL BACKED-UP AND SECURE. Github is fine, plenty of huge companies use it.

Hosts - Since your rear end is on the line if anything goes wrong, Rackspace managed servers. Nobody ever got fired for dumping buckets of cash onto Rackspace

Security - If you use a managed host you mainly need to be concerned with application design. Familiarize yourself with all ten of the OWASP Top 10. If you can avoid those ten items you're ahead of the game

Best practices - MVC design, regardless of language. Automated deployments with Jenkins is relatively easy to setup and worthwhile

Can't help you with regard to the education aspect. The best way to learn is from other colleagues. If you're in charge this might be a good opportunity to delegate and hire someone smarter than you.

EDIT: One more thing, no matter what your technology stack is, take the time to document the exact process needed to fully rebuild your apps/sites from the ground up, starting with a blank hard drive. When you have to do midnight disaster recovery two years down the line you'll be glad you did.

revmoo fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 10, 2014

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

revmoo posted:

Anybody want to recommend a good front-end theme/framework for building admin/reporting applications? I'm mostly interested in solutions that offer tons of widgets (ie various types of charts, graphs, gauges) and modern look, and responsive design. Price is mostly not an object (the frontrunner so far is a c-note).

There's always good ol' bootstrap, plenty of themes out there to get away from the default look. Foundation is another one I've heard good things about, I haven't used it yet though.

As for the charting stuff, consider using a separate library for that. I recommend HighCharts, it is really really awesome.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
New version of Firefox & Firebug released today.

Tons of good stuff in the new Firebug! https://blog.getfirebug.com/2014/06/10/firebug-2-0/

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

fletcher posted:

There's always good ol' bootstrap, plenty of themes out there to get away from the default look. Foundation is another one I've heard good things about, I haven't used it yet though.

As for the charting stuff, consider using a separate library for that. I recommend HighCharts, it is really really awesome.

Bootstrap is way too primitive for my needs. I'm interested in themes based on bootstrap though. We already use Highcharts and it is nice, but I'm looking for something a little more turn-key, where all the various gauges and widgets have the same unified design. I've already found one that will probably work but since I'll be living with whatever I pick for the next good while I want to make sure I use something good.

EDIT: Those wrapbootstrap templates are really nice. Very close to what I had already found. I'll play around with a few of those.

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.
I've got two unrelated questions:

• Anyone have recommendations or experience on lightweight e-commerce, particularly 2CO?

I just inherited a client on an old client-hosted version of Pinnacle Cart. The system is fragile as hell, even for basic customization of look and feel. Making changes to it is like playing Jenga. The client only has 30-40 products, and I'd like to move them to something a lot more flexible. I'd like to implement a custom front end that uses modern web tech (Bootstrap, etc.) for presentation and just throws the "add to cart/checkout" process to something like 2CO's hosted checkout through an API to handle all the PCI/DSS, SSL, and credit card processing. Advice? I'm open to alternatives — I just want to eliminate Pinnacle Cart.

• I have another client who is working with a nepotism "SEO firm" that sends me reports on 404 errors.

Since this other client has access to edit content, I fix the broken links they made that originate from their site. Should I bother doing anything about 404s from external sites? I can edit .htaccess to spit out 410s for the external sites, but I'm imagining the list growing to ridiculous lengths going down that road. Unless it's a search engine, 404 seems like the right response for someone who manually enters or clicks a fat-fingered URL. Am I wrong?

onionradish fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 10, 2014

Skiant
Mar 10, 2013

fletcher posted:

Tons of good stuff in the new Firebug! https://blog.getfirebug.com/2014/06/10/firebug-2-0/

Why would anyone use that old bloated RAM-eating mess that's Firebug while the built-in dev tools of Firefox are now on-par with if not better than what's in Chrome?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Skiant posted:

Why would anyone use that old bloated RAM-eating mess that's Firebug while the built-in dev tools of Firefox are now on-par with if not better than what's in Chrome?

The built-in dev tools are getting better every release but they still have a lot of problems and shortcomings. I've never been a fan of the dev tools in Chrome, the UI/UX just doesn't do it for me. Also I've never had a problem with Firebug consuming lots of RAM.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

fletcher posted:

I've never had a problem with Firebug consuming lots of RAM.

I'd been told that you exist, but in all my time fretting about Firebug I'd never met you. Bucket list updated.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

fletcher posted:

World class new theme that looks exactly like the old one.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Well reading parts of this thread this is probably a stupid question but... I've always been fascinated with web development and have wanted to learn it for ages. I took a couple classes in college a few years ago and learned the basics but had to drop out of college due to monetary issues. That said I've read a couple books in the last year HTML & CSS by Jon Duckett and Learning Web Design 4th Edition both were good books for reference and relearning the basics but disappointed a bit in that I'd love more like a walkthrough where you construct more of a site over time. The two books basically had you building parts of a site.

The end goal for me is to be able to make some simple websites. I'd love to rebuild the store I work at's website as it's terrible. But I don't even know where to start. I'm not sure if I should just start from scratch and see what happens or if there are some better books to read through. I've played with codeacademy but the lessons aren't very concise in my opinion and teamtreehouse costs a fair bit of money but I'd be willing to pay if it's worth it.

So basically, where do I start if I know the basics? Where's the middleground for people who know how to format the text and style the basics but don't know how to put it all together?

Thanks a ton in advance.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
:siren: If anyone used a the select{-moz-appearance:none; text-indent: 1px;text-overflow: '';} CSS hack to style their selectboxes, it is now broken as of Firefox 30

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.
Reposting here as I'm not sure how to fix this.

I have a bootstrap 3 responsive table in which I am trying to have a first column be fixed when on mobile so that you can scroll to the right and left but that column stays in place.

Example:
http://nasgame.apphb.com (example data: search for Eric Frasure and pick the Pro)

On iphones using both Safari and Chrome, the first column is no longer fixed. A few months ago, this exact code worked and the column stayed fixed! Its correctly staying fixed on multiple desktop computers using Chrome, as well as on a Kindle Fire using Silk browser. I'm trying to confirm with an Android phone.

meta tag:
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0">

jquery:
code:
$(document).ready(function () {
    var $table = $('.table');
    var $fixedColumn = $table.clone().insertBefore($table).addClass('fixed-column');
    $fixedColumn.find('th:not(:first-child),td:not(:first-child)').remove();
    $fixedColumn.find('tr').each(function (i, elem) {
        $(this).height($table.find('tr:eq(' + i + ')').height());
    });
});
css:
code:
.table-responsive > .fixed-column {
    position: absolute;
    display: inline-block;
    width: auto;
    border-right: 1px solid #ddd;
}

.results-table {
        background-color: #303030;
}

@media(min-width:768px) {
    .table-responsive > .fixed-column {
        display: none;
    }
}

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1nce
Sep 19, 2004

Plant your brassicas in may and cover them in mulch.

Disappointing Pie posted:

I've always been fascinated with web development and have wanted to learn it for ages. I took a couple classes in college a few years ago and learned the basics [..] read a couple books in the last year [..] but [..] I'd love more like a walkthrough where you construct more of a site over time.

Welcome to a brave new world. Those books should give you the standard rundown of HTML and CSS, but that'll only get you a static site. I'm going to assume you're fairly new to programming based on what you've said, so I'm going to recommend you take a look at PHP.

There are three ways you can go about learning PHP.
1. Dive right in and try to develop your endgame off the bat. This will end in bad code and failure.
2. Take a course. This often costs money but (if its recent) it will teach you only good practices and be a good jump-start.
3. Read lots of tutorials, which is a bit like #2 but lacks any structure. Also free.

Then, once you've done one of those, you'll probably end up in one of 3 camps:
1. Writing bespoke code because "frameworks are hard", and churning out god awful garbage
2. Part designer, part developer, you're mostly building Wordpress sites.
3. Working with frameworks you're mostly able to bang together a web app that does most of what you need.

There are also a few key pieces you need to figure out before you can even write any code:
1. Your development environment
2. Your source control workflow
3. Your IDE of choice
4. Using the right tool for the job

Those sound difficult, but let's get #1 out of the way quickly.
You'll want to set up an environment where your code can run and do pretty things. This usually means a LAMP/WAMP/XAMP stack, which stands for <os of choice> Apache MySQL PHP.

Follow this article to get a local development environment set up on windows using WAMP:
http://buildinternet.com/2009/05/how-to-set-up-a-local-phpmysql-development-sandbox-for-windows-and-os-x/

This will also lead you into setting up Wordpress. That's a great first step to trying out PHP, so I suggest you do it.

Next let's get the source control aspect out of the way. Source control will manage the history of your code, so you can make changes and experiment while being able to undo/revert any horrendous changes you've made. This protects you when you want to try something out, and avoids you getting into situations where you're saying "well this used to work.. but now it doesn't". You can instead just roll back, or compare (diff) between code that used to work and now doesn't.

Follow this guide which will hopefully give you some insight into GIT, get you set up, and let you know how you want to use it:
http://code.tutsplus.com/tutorials/easy-version-control-with-git--net-7449

Keeping things basic for now, just be sure to commit often, and supply a little message about what you changed. You won't need any other feature for a while unless you balls something up. And this way, when you do inevitably make a huge mistake, you can un-gently caress yourself.

There's also the questions of which IDE? Currently you might be using Notepad. I highly suggest either Aptana 3 (free) or PHPStorm which is blindly awesome. Syntax highlighting alone will be like a godsend, let alone the code completion. Feels like cheating. It is. Use it.

Now for using the right tool for the job. Let's look at your goal:

Disappointing Pie posted:

The end goal for me is to be able to make some simple websites. I'd love to rebuild the store I work at's website as it's terrible.

I'm going to just cross my fingers that you don't want to do an eCommerce website, because that would be an epic task for which you are ill equipped. Assuming instead that you just want to do a simple, relatively small site with a CMS and maybe a few pages about the products you stock, I would be inclined to push you towards that thing you already set up - Wordpress.

Now, wordpress is natively a blog platform, but with a little love and care it can be turned into a website CMS that looks nothing like Wordpress. You can use your HTML and CSS knowledge to create a design template, and you'll need a little PHP knowledge to get the templating implemented correctly. Conveniently there's a whole thread for Wordpress on these forums, and there's even more on Google about how to do just about anything.

When you use wordpress for something like this, you do two things:
1. Find plugins that do what you want.
This is going to take a lot of downloads, installs, removals, googling until you find what you're really after functionality wise. The less you have to change about a plugin the better. Here's a few to get you started:
http://wordpress.org/plugins/ultimate-product-catalogue/
https://yoast.com/wordpress/plugins/seo/
https://wordpress.org/plugins/advanced-custom-fields/

2. Find a theme that looks vaguely close to what you had in mind.
I'm not talking colour scheme, I'm talking HTML structure and layout. If you can't find one, there's always Wordpress Bootstrap Theme if you want to start from scratch.

Speaking of which, plain HTML and CSS is a little like writing plain PHP. You could instead use a framework to speed up doing most of the arbitrary, boring, or often easy to screw up tasks. One such framework is Bootstrap 3, which comes with a ton of functionality. The documentation on the site should help you get started, but it's basically a set of CSS and JavaScript tools to do basic features quickly, easily, pleasantly, while following standard and best practices and all that.
You can of course style bootstrap however you desire - sites like WrapStrap supply lots of themes for Bootstrap and are a fun place to start or look for inspiration.

When you do decide how you want to do things, I suggest mocking up the look of the site first (Photoshop?) then "cutting" that design to static HTML and CSS. From there you can take your "static cuts" to Wordpress and integrate them, making them dynamic.

When you start to customise the wordpress theme, that's when the PHP will kick in. Read this tutorial to help get you started hacking up your theme of choice:
http://www.presscoders.com/wordpress-theme-customization-guide/

So, now you're feeling completely overwhelmed, try to follow this to-do list:
1. Set up your environment.
2. Set up wordpress (as part of the above).
3. Set up source control (GIT) and be sure to do an initial commit.
4. Set up your IDE and get used to using it.
5. Find Wordpress plugins that deliver the functionality you need.
6. Read about Bootstrap 3 and decide if you want to use it or not. It's good to know about even if you decide against it.
7a. Design your site in Photoshop, cut it up to static HTML and CSS using Bootstrap 3.
7b. Find a theme that's close to what you want your site to look like, and hack it up.
8. Customise/integrate the Wordpress theme, find bugs, ask questions, google for answers, etc.