Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kessel posted:

It becomes even more trivial when you don't use a shield :v:

You're right, the only stat in the game is berserker and the only strategy is to stack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
Shield is awesome. Just because you suck with it does not make it useless; Aegis makes it useless!

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Stacking is great not just because you can los stuff into a corner and fgs. It also let's you share boons, fields, and rez downed buddies faster.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Stacking is dumb because it's un-fun, boring, and kinda cheap.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

CLAM DOWN posted:

I solve this by loving up the stack whenever possible. I like to see how fast I can pull aggro while Backstabbing through a wall. :allears:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I solve this by loving up the stack whenever possible. I like to see how fast I can pull aggro while Backstabbing through a wall. :allears:

The only legitimate place to stack is during an Arus Maneuver, aka everyone hide in the grub's chest in WvW so the enemy zerg doesn't see us!!!

central
Dec 13, 2003
sup free

CLAM DOWN posted:

After doing the dungeons legitimately so many times, it's more fun now (to me) to see how fast and efficiently a group can get through them.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

CLAM DOWN posted:

The only legitimate place to stack is during an Arus Maneuver, aka everyone hide in the grub's chest in WvW so the enemy zerg doesn't see us!!!

Stacking while you try to solo Kholer is also enjoyable~

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Stacking while you try to solo Kholer is also enjoyable~

I hope you enjoy my MLG-certified AC tutorial video!

I wish Windows Movie Maker had better capabilities to add zoom effects :(

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Stacking up for fights is pretty lame but I find it a bit more tolerable than slogging through their amateur attempts at making WoW boss encounters.

That and buff sharing as mentioned. We're all in the same room, fighting the same boss and dodging all the same fire spots, I shouldn't need to be giving the Warrior a hug if I want their might buffs while using a ranged weapon. Running over to healing springs etc. is fine.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CLAM DOWN posted:

You're right, the only stat in the game is berserker and the only strategy is to stack.

What about bearzerking

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

CLAM DOWN posted:

After a couple of hundred hours, any tactic gets boring and cheap. The thing that stacking and zerker gear have that "regular" tactics don't, is speed.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Slows down by an enormous amount, but it's shiny and pretty and I play GW2 because I love shiny and pretty things!

Honestly the new deisgn seems to be a h7ge step up from before. It's big and shiny, yeah, but it also lets the opening of a chest be built up into something more than just clicking an icon. From the look of your picture, it appears that each item shows up kinda like you're gambling on each one. That would also kinda add to the whole "Oh man what am I gonna get" or " Here it comes, gonna get something good this time" feeling that these kind of random reward chests feed off of. For people wanting a gamble, it's probably far more fulfilling than the old setup.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Hey, how exactly does the enemy not see your name tags when you do this? Does being in the box count as being out of line of sight?

Sprite141 fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 4, 2014

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Batham posted:

After a couple of hundred hours, any tactic gets boring and cheap. The thing that stacking and zerker gear have that "regular" tactics don't, is speed.

Bullshit, you're playing with the wrong people. I hate to think how many times I've done AC, especially path 1. But last night with my lovely friend dentists? We were howling with laughter on mumble and having a goddamn boatload of fun, and our tactics as you can see from the video were all over the place. Saying that everything gets boring is totally wrong.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Bullshit, you're playing with the wrong people. I hate to think how many times I've done AC, especially path 1. But last night with my lovely friend dentists? We were howling with laughter on mumble and having a goddamn boatload of fun, and our tactics as you can see from the video were all over the place. Saying that everything gets boring is totally wrong.

You can have just as much fun with your buddies by stacking or whatever other tactic. It's not the tactics but the company that makes the bosses fun after a while. Repetition simply makes everything boring after a while.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sprite141 posted:

Hey, how exactly does the enemy not see your name tags when you do this? Does being in the box count as being out of line of sight?

They're so intimidated by my superior tactical genius that their screens are blinding by pro skill and name tags vanish.

Batham posted:

You can have just as much fun with your buddies by stacking or whatever other tactic. It's not the tactics but the company that makes the bosses fun after a while. Repetition simply makes everything boring after a while.

Nah, my point is that even with insane repetition it's not boring for us. Varying your tactics and not choosing the easiest most lame and boring one is a huge part of that.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Yeah. Honestly I agree that the legit way to fight something tends to be more fulfilling and most of the times more fun than simply stacking. However, in the case that stacking cuts down fight time by a tremendous amount I'd have to go with that instead. Either way I don't care how a fight goes really. Whatever the rest of the party feela like doing.

Like, think about old tequatl and new. You could stack old tequatl and get poo poo done super fast and boring. Now with new tequatl you can't, and the fight is more engaging and fun. It's also a huge pain in the rear end you'd rather not fail, but probably will. Really old tequatl is the extreme end of stacking is boring as poo poo, and new tequatl is the extreme end of not stacking sucks. Most fights are in between that, I'd say.

Now not stacking fights can be a bit of a pain when you have the highest toughness in the group. On my ranger and condition necro I'm typically target number one by everything, and it sucks.

central
Dec 13, 2003
sup free

CLAM DOWN posted:

Are you just not willing to believe that people find speedclearing fun? Nobody is disputing that you had a great time doing AC "the right way."

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

central posted:

Are you just not willing to believe that people find speedclearing fun? Nobody is disputing that you had a great time doing AC "the right way."

I never said that. I'm disputing comments like "everything gets boring after a while".

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

I never said that. I'm disputing comments like "everything gets boring after a while".

Everything does get boring eventually. Everyone also has different thresholds for what it takes to hit that boring level. You might find doing a couple dungeons a day fun, I only do a couple a month because more often isn't fun for me.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

I don't think it makes sense to consider "not stacking" to be some singular thing the way stacking is. There's a tremendous amount of potential for variation and no need for things to become repetitive. To me, the appeal of not stacking is that it makes it seem like stuff is happening.

I actually do have a really difficult time imagining how ultra-efficient speedrunning could be fun for anyone, but I guess anything is possible.

central
Dec 13, 2003
sup free

King Lazer posted:

I don't think it makes sense to consider "not stacking" to be some singular thing the way stacking is. There's a tremendous amount of potential for variation and no need for things to become repetitive. To me, the appeal of not stacking is that it makes it seem like stuff is happening.

I actually do have a really difficult time imagining how ultra-efficient speedrunning could be fun for anyone, but I guess anything is possible.

It's more like "fastest" vs everything else.

The problem is everyone is arguing from their own perspective as if that's the only answer. If I have fun clearing AC 1-3 in less than an hour and Arus has fun taking his time and having coordinated snack breaks every 5 minutes then neither of us is wrong. One way isn't better or more right than the other.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

If you enjoy trying to do a dungeon as fast as humanly possible, that's totally fine. However, if you're doing it because you're so bored with dungeons that you want them to be over as quickly as possible, maybe just do something else. There's a ton of fun things to do in this game.

Until this weekend I hadn't done an explorable mode dungeon since probably around launch (mostly because I remember them being awful). We actually did that spider boss in AC and it was a little messy but I don't think we ever came close to wiping. It would be cool if they gave buffs a bigger range though, at least in dungeons.

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time
Regardless of stacking or some stupid exploit the people that want to grind out things will find the least path possible. I feel bad for the developers who put time into interesting fights and see videos of people killing them by sitting behind a box or some poo poo. They probably expect it by now which is why some of the latest fights have had some sort of coordination involved.

The spirit of this game is what you make it and is probably the only reason why most of us are still playing.

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fhQ...n4En4ETKgRVGB-e

Make fun of my stupid mesmer build and let's change the topic to the new armor sets!

J3ng4 fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 5, 2014

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I really hope that set with the flowers is medium armor. :3:

quite the fucker
Apr 13, 2014

01100110 01110101 01100011 01101011 01100101 01110010
people wouldn't complain about anything in dungeons if dungeons didn't give any rewards

quite the fucker
Apr 13, 2014

CLAM DOWN posted:

for the most part yes

quite the fucker
Apr 13, 2014

what's the fastest way to get dragonite ore

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Word.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I'm betting on heavy armor or townclothing.

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

I was made to understand there were grilled cheese sandwiches here.

quite the fucker posted:

EotM and doing temples or something.

edit: temples are hard to do now with megaservers, world events are probly better.
http://dulfy.net/2014/04/23/event-timer/

weinus fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 4, 2014

central
Dec 13, 2003
sup free

quite the fucker posted:

Probably farming world bosses or karma training in WvW.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

J3ng4 posted:

I feel bad for the developers who put time into interesting fights and see videos of people killing them by sitting behind a box or some poo poo.

I'm reminded of the fractal bosses which for the most part were well designed. Stuff like pulling the golem suit over a ramp so you could auto attack it to death for 20 minutes instead of spending 3-4 dropping lava on it. The grawl shaman where you'd chain res people on lava so you wouldn't take lava damage. I didn't quite get the pubbie logic on that one but I know that if you jumped once you'd die.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

J3ng4 posted:

Make fun of my stupid mesmer build and let's change the topic to the new armor sets!

Getting a Power Rangers and Shredder vibe from some of those helmets.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

More coat flaps! Coat flaps on every armor!

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

quite the fucker posted:

Echoing the EOTM karma train. I got about 2 stacks worth over a couple days while grinding out the wvw meta.

iminay
Dec 18, 2012
New armor looks like a set from ninja gaiden

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

CLAM DOWN posted:

Arus you're the leader of the guild, the author of the thread, and I consider you a friend besides, so whatever you say something is it is. So let's stop with the retarded hyperbole and get back to posting stupid screenshots or whatever.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
Esports is the only game mode and I am its prophet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

That skeleton is drunk :3:

• Locked thread