Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dogeatdog
Jun 17, 2005

Spacebump posted:

X-Force/X-Statix from that era is good and worth a read.

Forgot about those. Mike Allred and Darwyn Cooke's art on those were gorgeous. I found the over sized hardcover in a Barnes and Noble for 5 bucks and I would have paid full price for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

bobkatt013 posted:

I do not think that happened at all. I remember Morrison using Bishop and the greatest X-men ever Sage in a storyline, but that was all the real crossover between the two. Also Extreme X-men was godawful and Chris Claremont has not written anything good since Uncanny 280/X-men 3.

There's a whole issue where Storm visits the mansion that plays off her longtime rivalry with Emma Frost, and another scene where Jean Grey and Storm have a telepathic meeting where Storm tells Jean to let her know if Cassandra Nova causes trouble (which I guess Jean didn't do :v: )

Morrison did do one issue with Sage and Bishop but it doesn't have anything to do with the supposed ideological split that started Storm's X-Men Team. (Also he got Sage so "wrong" I still remember demented one fan ran the comic through a shredder and then posted a bunch of pictures of it on the internet).

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Saw this movie 3 and half weeks ago on May 10th at the world premiere event at the Javits Center in New York. Line to get in stretched down 34th all the way from 11th to 12th, and then a couple hundred feet down 12th. The event started at 4pm on Saturday, but apparently the first person to get on line got there at 1 the previous afternoon. My friends who told me about the event got there at like 6 and 8 in the morning, but because of bus fuckery, I didn't get there until 3.

First 500 people on line got a wristband for VIP access, allowing them to get up to where the celebrity screening was being held, with all the entertainment shows doing their red carpet interviews and such. Unfortunately, I wasn't in that first 500, so I was forced into the black carpet corral in the lobby of the Javits, getting drenched in the process when it started raining as they were letting people in, with the last person inside around 5.

There was a guy with a local radio station working the crowd, free posters and t-shirts were there for the taking, and the guy was doing promotions and trivia, handing out signed shirts and posters for the crowd to whoever caught his interest. Got a signed t-shirt that way by waving my Jeopardy baseball cap and announcing that I was going to be on the show the next month. He also found a guy who said that he had flown in from Australia to get to this premiere event, and was flying back later in the week to catch the Australian premiere. Also a guy from South Korea who flew in for the same thing.

Then, around 6ish, Hugh Jackman showed up, starting a long line of celebs that would make their way down the carpet before heading upstairs to where the cameras were. Of course, they had security, but everyone down there mobbed them, going for selfies and autographs. Managed to get 16 stars to sign my poster, including Jackman, Patrick Stewart, James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, Ellen Page, Peter Dinklage, Shawn Ashmore, Fan Bingbing, Nicholas Hoult, Daniel Cudimore, Booboo Radley, and others that I don't even remember. Ian McKellan and Halle Berry weren't there, Famike Jannsen walked past us without stopping, and I missed Omar Sy, but I'm pretty proud of the signatures I did get.

Event wrapped up around 8ish, when security was beginning to usher us out. Since I knew the Javits Center from working 4 years of New York Comic Con, I knew there was a way I could sneak upstairs to where the entertainment shows were holding court and possibly get into the screening. So I went off to the bathroom before leaving, then snuck over to the elevator leading to the galleria upstairs. Walking past a couple of techs, I got into the area, getting into one of the risers filled with the VIP bracelet holders.

The entertainment shows were wrapping up, packing up their equipment with the stars coming back out again for sporadic interviews and fan stuff since the private screening was all but over. Then they announced that the fan screening would be beginning soon, slated to start at 9 at the movie theater down 34th Street, 3 blocks away. They handed out cards to show you the way to the theater, but made sure to announce that the wristband was the ticket allowing you into the screening.

Without any wristband, I knew that I wouldn't be able to get in, but I headed the way of the crowd anyway, meeting up with my friends who did snag a wristband on the way. They knew I wouldn't be able to get in, and were constantly joshing me about it, even after I showed them my poster with 16 autographs while they up in the VIP area only got 5 or 6 at most. Couple of my friends took a taxi those few blocks so that they could get a better position in line to see the movie, while I ran over there with another friend.

When we got to the line, we moved up to where my taxi taking friends were, with the line stretching the better part of an avenue block. Getting close to the front of the line, I noticed that there was a dude handing out tickets on one side of the head of the line, and another who was cutting off wristbands. When we got to the front, I let my friends go first, then grabbed a ticket from the dude handing them out. He told me to make sure the other guy cut off my wristband, and I lifted up my jacket which had been covering my wrists and pulled my sleeves back, acting as if I was going to let him do so. Then I acted like I had dropped my wristband and stood off to the other side of the line to search my pockets and bag for it. Then I walked back down the line looking at the ground as if I had dropped it. Got far enough down, then cut to the other side of the line, and entered the movie theater out of sight of the guys who were cutting off wristbands, acting like I was going to see another movie at the theater. Then I headed over to the ticket taker, flashed my ticket, and went to the screening.

Met back up with my friends who had gotten in legitimately, with them asking me how I managed to get in. There was a line into the screen where we would see it, since they were confiscating all of out electronic devices to make sure no bootlegs of the movie got out. Once we got past that and the requisite bag check, there was still a guy with a security wand making sure we didn't bring anything that could record in with us. There was so much security that most people forgot to grab the 3D glasses that were near the door.

As the theater filled up and the screening was about to start, Jackman, McAvoy, and Fassbender entered, hyping up the crowd. Wanted to take a photo with them, but as I said, they confiscated all of our cell phones beforehand, so that was a no go. I had already gotten them all to sign my poster, so it wasn't a huge loss. After playing the crowd up a bit and giving people time to settle in, the screening started around 9:30.

And all of that sneaking around was worth it. Loved the movie so much that I'm thinking of actually paying to see it sometime soon.

And in case people call bullshit on this story:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Harime Nui posted:

There was a brief period from 2000-2002 where they actually gave Cable a new costume that I thought was pretty decent. Sadly it was in one of the worst periods of X-Men comics ever

This is somehow worse than anything Rob Leifeld has ever drawn.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Spacebump posted:

X-Force/X-Statix from that era is good and worth a read.

As was Soldier X, featuring hated New X-Men artist Igor Kordey.

TryAgainBragg
May 5, 2014

TheJoker138 posted:

This is somehow worse than anything Rob Leifeld has ever drawn.

Lets not go crazy here

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Most of those look like scribbles. But its a good story none the less.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

GhostStalker posted:

Booboo Radley

Haha

I've seen the film twice now. The best part about the second viewing was getting to just stare at Fassbender for two hours.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Vintersorg posted:

Most of those look like scribbles. But its a good story none the less.

Yeah, I got so many signatures that it's kinda hard to remember who is who. I do know that the line looking one on the top left is Peter Dinklage, the prominent P looking one to the left of Mystique is Patrick Stewart, the one over Wolverine's shoulder is James McAvoy, the G looking one next to Mystique's face is Hugh Jackman, the M looking one next to her arm is Michael Fassbender, Daniel Cudimore signed over the character he played, the runny looking one on the lower right is Ellen Page, the star looking one on top of Wolverine's claws is Fan Bingbing, the A looking thing over the E in X-Men is Shawn Ashmore, and the silvery looking one over the X is Jennifer Lawrence.

I should know a couple more, but it'll take a lot more looking at signatures to figure out which one is which.

Wow, I guess I have To Kill a Mockingbird on the brain. I meant Booboo Stewart...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 3, 2014

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.
A lot of people complained about the time travel parts of the movie and how they did or didn't make sense, but I don't remember anyone pointing out the biggest flaw of the whole movie. Kitty Pryde has to maintain this connection or Wolverine will come back. This means that she has to keep her focus for a pretty decent amount of time. Wolverine's drive to find Charles, driving to DC, flying to Paris and back. So probably two days at least, maybe as many as three or four depending on how much time everything else took. She has to do this without sleeping or going to the bathroom, is one of her other mutant powers holding it in without dying?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Maybe she phased her poo out of her body?

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.
Rhyno, I like the way you think.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Rhyno posted:

Maybe she phased her poo out of her body?

What a reference.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

As was Soldier X, featuring hated New X-Men artist Igor Kordey.

The Cable run leading into that by Tischman/Kordey was real good too.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The Cable run leading into that by Tischman/Kordey was real good too.

Yup. Wasn't the Deadpool thing kind of a spinoff of Agent X as well?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yup. Wasn't the Deadpool thing kind of a spinoff of Agent X as well?

I never read Agent X but my understanding was Deadpool and Cable turned into Agent X and Soldier X at around the same time (roughly concurrent with Morrison's New X-Men).

I've actually never gotten around to Soldier X since it's never been collected and somewhat hard to find, but I do love those Tischman/Kordey Cable comics. I've got a weird fondness for Cable as a character, and those are some of the best stories featuring him (also the early arcs of Cable & Deadpool by Fabian Nicieza where he's mutant Jesus).

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Was it ever fully established that the time spent connected was 1:1 with the past events? I may have got things confused, but it seemed to me the 2023 approach of the sentinels was occurring on a much shorter time scale than events in 1973. Those details didn't bother me too much, since it was (mostly) clear what actions needed to take place in the past.

I also read Mystique coming forward as Nixon to simply be her way of telling Magneto that the fight was between the two of them, not anyone else. Maybe the movie works best when you fill in the blanks and ambiguities charitably, but I find it hard to imagine she was trying to fool him for a second.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
My girlfriend and I went to the theater to see Godzilla, but had gotten the times wrong. The only thing playing was this.

Having not seen x men since the third film, which forced itself out with the grace of a hot fart (and nullified any remaining respect I had for the cartoon as a child), you can imagine how disappointed I was.

But we were already there. The candy and flask were already hidden in the purse. So we gave it a chance and were totally blown away when it was actually a really cool movie.

My question is what else should I be seeing? Anything between this and X men 3 I've not seen.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

echronorian posted:

My girlfriend and I went to the theater to see Godzilla, but had gotten the times wrong. The only thing playing was this.

Having not seen x men since the third film, which forced itself out with the grace of a hot fart (and nullified any remaining respect I had for the cartoon as a child), you can imagine how disappointed I was.

But we were already there. The candy and flask were already hidden in the purse. So we gave it a chance and were totally blown away when it was actually a really cool movie.

My question is what else should I be seeing? Anything between this and X men 3 I've not seen.

First Class and The Wolverine (not X-Men Origins: Wolverine) are both good.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

echronorian posted:

Just First Class. Wolverine isn't for everyone.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Wolverine Origins is a modern art masterpiece. God the kid scene alone. https://vine.co/v/Mp5UEm3AO6n its so bad. People hate Bret Ratner but this had Will.i.am in a cowboy hat and just gave him nightcrawler abilitys.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Wolverine 2 is pretty good, First Class is actually a really lovely pile of fanservice and boring lame characters with nothing to do. Tellingly, most of the bit players from that one are written out between the two movies.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

First Class actually has an interesting aesthetic, snappy direction, the best action direction in the series, the most interesting scenes in the series, Kevin Bacon chewing up scenery, a score that is somewhat repetitive, but still does a much better job at driving the action than anything but X3 (which had action so bad that it didn't matter), The Devil as a henchman, with no one caring, Fassbender/McAvoy (sic) at their best, and the least Wolverine in the series.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Wolverine 2 is pretty good, First Class is actually a really lovely pile of fanservice and boring lame characters with nothing to do. Tellingly, most of the bit players from that one are written out between the two movies.

Uh both wolverine movies were hot garbage that made no sense.

First Class was pretty good, save for all of January jones' scenes.

Pattycakes
May 12, 2014

WHO WANTS A PATTYCAKE!?!

messagemode1 posted:

I enjoyed Wolverine: Origins. I haven't seen the newest Wolverine, but Origins was at least a decent action movie.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Darko posted:

First Class actually has an interesting aesthetic, snappy direction, the best action direction in the series, the most interesting scenes in the series, Kevin Bacon chewing up scenery, a score that is somewhat repetitive, but still does a much better job at driving the action than anything but X3 (which had action so bad that it didn't matter), The Devil as a henchman, with no one caring, Fassbender/McAvoy (sic) at their best, and the least Wolverine in the series.

I largely agree with this and still don't think it was actually good compared to X1, X2 or DOFP. Not trying to be a smart rear end; it just feels like a collection of mostly good (often better, hell) things that just falls apart somehow.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Origins is hot garbage, but Wolverine Goes to Japan is great.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

messagemode1 posted:

Wolverine made plenty of sense. It might be kinda dull, and not amazing, but it's probably the easiest X-FIlm to follow.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I really liked The Wolverine. It was a bit slow, but I didn't find it boring at all. The "uncut" version adds some nice edge to it too.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What's in the uncut version?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

What's in the uncut version?

The changes are documented pretty well here. It's not just added violence, some parts have been trimmed/lengthened and there's a whole new sequence near the end of the movie which is pretty fun.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I walked into this movie ready to hate it and was blown away. This movie is so, so much better than the earlier films. It's like they figured out all the problems with those ones and fixed them. I don't know how they did it, but they did.

Jackman's script in particular is just so much better. He actually has a personality, a sense of responsibility, and useful, important plot things to do. I've never seen him fill out the dumb Wolverine role like that before. Almost makes me want to see The Wolverine.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

sean10mm posted:

I largely agree with this and still don't think it was actually good compared to X1, X2 or DOFP. Not trying to be a smart rear end; it just feels like a collection of mostly good (often better, hell) things that just falls apart somehow.

It depends on how you rate things. Singer's direction is so ridiculously flat that I can typically only sit through his movies once because there's nothing else to take out of them besides what happened in the film directly. This even includes drama like Apt Pupil. And he combines this with really flat scores for some reason. First Class, on the other hand, has interestingly realized sequences that at least hold my attention when I watch them again.

The Quicksilver scene was pretty good on first viewing in a similar way to the Nightcrawler sequence from 2, at least. But that's one singular thing - it's like if the "time stops" scene was the only well done thing in Big Fish.

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010

Mr. Jive posted:

Jackman's script in particular is just so much better. He actually has a personality, a sense of responsibility, and useful, important plot things to do. I've never seen him fill out the dumb Wolverine role like that before. Almost makes me want to see The Wolverine.

I just got done watching the Wolverine for the first time. As a person who loved both First Class and DoFP, and hated X-Men Origins, The Wolverine was mostly bland and forgettable. It wasn't an atrocious nightmare like Origins, but there's really no reason to see it other than boredom and curiosity. I was bored and curious...

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Darko posted:

It depends on how you rate things. Singer's direction is so ridiculously flat that I can typically only sit through his movies once because there's nothing else to take out of them besides what happened in the film directly. This even includes drama like Apt Pupil. And he combines this with really flat scores for some reason. First Class, on the other hand, has interestingly realized sequences that at least hold my attention when I watch them again.

The Quicksilver scene was pretty good on first viewing in a similar way to the Nightcrawler sequence from 2, at least. But that's one singular thing - it's like if the "time stops" scene was the only well done thing in Big Fish.

I'd agree with this. It's a tight script, it all fits together, but there's little in the way of directorial flair.

quote:

I just got done watching the Wolverine for the first time. As a person who loved both First Class and DoFP, and hated X-Men Origins, The Wolverine was mostly bland and forgettable. It wasn't an atrocious nightmare like Origins, but there's really no reason to see it other than boredom and curiosity. I was bored and curious...
For the most part, this is right. It's not really good, it's not really bad. It's kind of just there. It's Christopher Lambert's "The Hunted" with superpowers. Yukio's a pretty rad character, but she's gone for a good chunk of the movie.

Maxy Boy
Sep 7, 2008
I must be crazy in that I loved Origins: Wolverine and hated The Wolverine. Origins was packed with cool mutants like Will.I.Am and Deadpool, and had heaps of cool setpieces and fights. And I love origin stories in general.

I thought The Wolverine was garbage. It only had two (?) mutants in it, and I found it super bland and forgettable. The romance seemed contrived and not once did Wolverine have a proper katana swordfight.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Yep, you're crazy.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I walked out on the wolverine movie, despite being stoned and drunk, and just realized I saw two thirds of that shitshow.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Maxy Boy posted:

I must be crazy in that I loved Origins: Wolverine and hated The Wolverine. Origins was packed with cool mutants like Will.I.Am and Deadpool, and had heaps of cool setpieces and fights. And I love origin stories in general.

I thought The Wolverine was garbage. It only had two (?) mutants in it, and I found it super bland and forgettable. The romance seemed contrived and not once did Wolverine have a proper katana swordfight.

Why would he have a proper katana swordfight, he has knives on his hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scags
Nov 12, 2005
I just watched this, and it was awesome! I was very confused by the last couple of minutes though. Logan wakes up at the academy and doesn't remember the past 50(?) years. But his conscious had already jumped from Future to 1973, why did it jump again, in from Future to Present Day, overwriting everything he experienced since 1973?

• Locked thread