Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Quick-disconnect handlebars would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Ola posted:

Quick-disconnect handlebars would be nice.

That sounds like a terrible idea

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The trick would be making quick disconnect controls.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
The future is Tom Cruise's bike from Oblivion! Fold-out controls and totally electric!
:krad:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

The trick would be making quick disconnect controls.

License apple's magsafe technology

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Linedance posted:

License apple's magsafe technology

Bikes are already expensive enough.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I can't remember which bike it was but I've seen a factory-fitted disk lock option (i.e. a disk lock actually built into the brake caliper) which is either the cleverest or the dumbest idea I've ever heard, depending on how it's implemented.

Actually it's just dumb now I think of it because regardless of implementation, as I say, one of the main points of security is to be visible, and this won't stop pro thieves and will lead to joyriders smashing up your brake disk.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I just subscribe to the "Go balls out on insurance" school of thought. My bike is parked in a garage, but even if I didn't have one the most I might do is throw a U-lock through it. I'd almost rather someone just steal the drat thing than do $600-700 in damage trying to steal it and then leave me footing the bill.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I can't remember which bike it was but I've seen a factory-fitted disk lock option (i.e. a disk lock actually built into the brake caliper) which is either the cleverest or the dumbest idea I've ever heard, depending on how it's implemented.

Actually it's just dumb now I think of it because regardless of implementation, as I say, one of the main points of security is to be visible, and this won't stop pro thieves and will lead to joyriders smashing up your brake disk.

KTM has it - it's fitted to the caliper bolts and it goes through one of the holes in the rotors, so the bike doesn't move at all, it's a pretty good solution. Only annoying thing would be getting the pin lined up with the hole.

Also I think it's like 350 bucks.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
My brother has the ktm one on his 2013 690 duke. It works ok, but has a few issues.

Dont ride on gravel roads without a hose avaliable, the alu plug you plug into it when the bolt is not engaged can pop out if not seated properly(see dust from gravel) and it eats keys, one key was worn out after sub30 locks. He's waiting on warranty for that key. It can also be abit hard to disengage if you roll it to much forward to engage it( instead of just a little bit) as the bolt cant be pulled from the disc hole without a bit of effort.

It's very practical as a concept, except of the eating of keys bit.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Bumblebee! What have they done to you?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
"...the bike passes MRA safety inspection with no problems."

AHAHAhaha. If you have to point that out fella...

EDIT: "...a large bolt in place of the right footpeg."

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
And 1500 dollars no less, for a severely dented-up, non-street-legal EX250 with Christ only knows how many miles.

(but CUSTOM PLASTICS)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Am I wrong for completely loving the new Harley Street line?

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Motorcycles/street-500.html

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Bottom Liner posted:

H-D has been making some sweet street bikes for a number of years now, IMO.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
That's a really nice looking bike.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

ShaneB posted:

H-D has been making some sweet street bikes for a number of years now, IMO.

I agree with this, but I also think the new Street 500/750 looks pretty junky.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Z3n posted:

KTM has it - it's fitted to the caliper bolts and it goes through one of the holes in the rotors, so the bike doesn't move at all, it's a pretty good solution. Only annoying thing would be getting the pin lined up with the hole.

Also I think it's like 350 bucks.

Yeah, it's licensed by KTM from Roadlok and available from them for some other brands. Not available for the SMC, or I'd have one because it seems very handy. :(

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Yeah, it's licensed by KTM from Roadlok and available from them for some other brands. Not available for the SMC, or I'd have one because it seems very handy. :(

FYI If it fits an RC8 it should fit the 690 SMC, the Calipers are interchangeable between the two. I bet the SMC is just too obscure a model for them to bother.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

HD's street line looks pretty good, imo. Shame it comes with an HD pricetag and subculture.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

M42 posted:

HD's street line looks pretty good, imo. Shame it comes with an HD pricetag and subculture.

Ignoring the culture, what cruiser would you get that compares? The Street 750 starts at 7500 and compares pretty favorably to the Yamaha bolt at 8k, or the Honda Nc700x at 7800. The Suzuki C50 is also pretty close but starts at around 8400. Admittedly you could just buy all of those used and save a ton, but that's not really fair. I'm sure you'll be able to find Streets with like 200 miles on them all over craigslist in a couple years. :v:

I came here to post the same thing about how it looks like a nice bike but HD is overpriced, but that doesn't really seem to be the case here. I've never looked too close at cruiser prices, why the hell is a C50 8400 and something like an FZ-09 8000? Is it the shaft drive and chrome?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I would get a Bolt over a Sporty or a Street, totally. That is such a pretty bike.

Unless it was an XR1200. That bike is cool beans.

I just saw pics of the 2015 Starbolt. A baby blue tank! Sign a brother up (assuming said brother wanted a cruiser, which not really)!

captainOrbital fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 5, 2014

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I was having lustful thoughts about trading the Ulysses for a XR1200 yesterday. drat it Erik, hurry up with the naked model.

edit: This might interest some of you guys - looks like they're bringing the FZ-09's p-twin babby brother stateside. http://blogs.motorcyclistonline.com/its-official-2015-yamaha-fz-07-43695.html?src=SOC&dom=fb

M. Night Skymall posted:

I came here to post the same thing about how it looks like a nice bike but HD is overpriced, but that doesn't really seem to be the case here. I've never looked too close at cruiser prices, why the hell is a C50 8400 and something like an FZ-09 8000? Is it the shaft drive and chrome?

I'd wager neither - rather, it's priced how their analytics suggest will make them the most money.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 5, 2014

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Bottom Liner posted:

If I was in the market for a small cruiser, I'd definitely look at that. I really like the black-out theme.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Cycle world put the Panigale and the 1190RX on a dyno. Look at the EBR's meaty midrange.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/06/04/2014-ebr-1190rx-vs-2014-ducati-1199-panigale-dyno-run-comparison-test-video/?src=SOC&dom=fb

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

I can't even be bothered if it doesn't have at least 90 foot pounds of torque. Boooooring.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah, the Super Duke makes my trousers snug.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I hope EBR nails it and does well and in 10 years are selling American made Monsters and Hyper-Motards and Multi-stradas and StreetFighters and it's awesome.

I'm not holding my breath, but I want it to be true.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

clutchpuck posted:

Yeah, the Super Duke makes my trousers snug.

Is it because of A) The boner; B) You poo poo your pants; C) Both

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'm sure C will apply once I ride one.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

There's no pants making GBS threads on a SuperDuke, it's the easiest bike over 200 cc's to ride I've ever thrown a leg over. It's tame and safe and boring and almost perfect. The last thing it'll do is hurt you.

It's a very odd experience.

God it's fast though.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

drat it Erik, hurry up with the naked model.

This always makes me think of Magneto.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

There's no pants making GBS threads on a SuperDuke, it's the easiest bike over 200 cc's to ride I've ever thrown a leg over. It's tame and safe and boring and almost perfect. The last thing it'll do is hurt you.

It's a very odd experience.

God it's fast though.

I ran it with the TC off for a bit, and it was hilarious to punt the throttle at 3k and just have the most beautiful, controlled wheelie with so little drama.

Also I need to experiment because it might have had a break in map on it up until 620 miles...

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

captainOrbital posted:

I would get a Bolt over a Sporty or a Street, totally. That is such a pretty bike.

Unless it was an XR1200. That bike is cool beans.

I just saw pics of the 2015 Starbolt. A baby blue tank! Sign a brother up (assuming said brother wanted a cruiser, which not really)!

Eh, I was between the Bolt and my Iron 883. The Fit/Finish on the Iron was much better, and for whatever poo poo you want to give them HD has a great dealer network and all the dealerships I have dealt with were very friendly/helpful. The aftermarket for the HD is miles better right now, and the Evo engine is just as reliable as anything on a metric cruiser these days.

The only thing the Bolt really won out on for me was the Brakes, and a bit better performance (but it's also a 950 to my Iron's 883). Also, there was fuckall for used Bolts on Craigslist when I wanted one, but I got my Iron for $1500 under book value with some aftermarket goodies and only 490 miles on it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no HD fanboy, and I find a lot of their owners to be somewhat offensive. However, for what you pay a (used) HD is a good machine if it fits your wants/needs.

EDIT: Also, the stock exhaust on the bolt is fugly. Whoever designed that should be beaten to death with that muffler.

Akion fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 5, 2014

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I'm pretty sure XR1200s will be worth money someday.

Saw this posted on facebook:

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Corbin released their FZ-09 seat.
http://www.corbin.com/yamaha/yfz914gl.shtml

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The FZ-09 is wee and the Corbin seat looks like a couch on it

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I had no idea that HD was willing to go as low as 500cc. Thought they were all about the good 'ol American Excess(tm). :v:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

They weren't until now. These new models are totally weird and foreign to Harley dudes, with small displacements, water cooling and a V angle that is not 45 degrees. The 750 makes 50% more power than an 883. What is happening?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Note they also put "Liquid Cooled" on their website product listings instead of coming up with a fancy way to reword/hide it.

HD is moving on. Which realistically was bound to happen. The generation of "Liquid Cooling is for Jap Crap" won't be buying motorcycles much longer... at least not in the quantity HD wants to maintain their profits.

Also they probably enjoy passing emissions standards.