Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

holocaust bloopers posted:

Kindle tells me I'm 30% into American Gods. I'm finding it to be fairly unengaging. Does it pick up or continue developing at a fairly slow clip?
It's pretty slow until after Shadow hangs out in Fargo for a bit and then they move to the midwest to do a job for Wednesday. Things pick up at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Cardiovorax posted:

Not really, it's just really overrated, like a lot of Gaiman's work.

Alright so it isn't me then. I was stoked to get it and it's not terrible by any means but I'm failing to see why it's so revered.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Kindle tells me I'm 30% into American Gods. I'm finding it to be fairly unengaging. Does it pick up or continue developing at a fairly slow clip?

Already been beaten here but this was suggested by a friend and I read about half of it before stopping.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

I did enjoy it but it doesn't really change. If you're not digging it at this point, you can drop it.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

If you aren't digging it by now you probably aren't going to. Give Good Omens a shot instead

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Fried Chicken posted:

If you aren't digging it by now you probably aren't going to. Give Good Omens a shot instead
This is a good recommendation. American Gods never did it for me, but I loved Good Omens.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Good Omens was awesome. American Gods was horrible.

To be fair, it's one of those books where there's very little middle ground for people. Either they completely love it, or think it's horrible.

Personally, I found it a drudge to get through and thought it was just annoying. I regret actually finishing the book because I have a bad habit of forgetting "a bad book doesn't get better". I've read some stinkers simply because I just KNEW they had to get better after this chapter, and they didn't :(

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

To be fair, it's one of those books where there's very little middle ground for people. Either they completely love it, or think it's horrible.

I thought it was all right. v:shobon:v

I read it, I'd read it again, but it didn't blow my mind or anything.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'm in the middle ground, but I haven't read it in a while. The core idea of old gods living in a mortal world that doesn't believe in them anymore is full of potential that the book doesn't remotely meet at all. I really wish Gaiman had just made it as a collection of short stories about these gods as told through a road trip with Shadow and Wednesday rather than trying to tie it into some grand plot that is so, so very unsatisfying. With the grand plot, things just seem meandering, rather than just an exploration into this world.

I think I found Anansi Boys more enjoyable, since it didn't take itself nearly as seriously. And Good Omens is wonderful, as noted.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
American Gods was my second Gaiman book after Neverwhere and I loved it. I've re-read it several times. I like books that are about stories, belief and mythologies. I've also read everything else he's ever written, be it prose or comic, and loved it. I would say he's well-regarded, not overrated (which is just code for 'I don't like him but lots of other people do and they're obviously wrong').

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

Not really, it's just really overrated, like a lot of Gaiman's work.

Agreedo American Gods just isn't that great

I don't think I really like anything Gaiman writes, though, and usually when I'm reading something of his I just wish Clive Barker had written it instead.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

bonds0097 posted:

American Gods was my second Gaiman book after Neverwhere and I loved it. I've re-read it several times. I like books that are about stories, belief and mythologies. I've also read everything else he's ever written, be it prose or comic, and loved it. I would say he's well-regarded, not overrated (which is just code for 'I don't like him but lots of other people do and they're obviously wrong').
As someone who grew up reading Sandman and read Neverwhere in high school, and who has read most of his other novels as an adult, I think I'm done with him until he figures out something new and interesting to say. I don't regret reading anything by him, and they're definitely good, well-written, and have interesting things to say, but I can't help but think that he might have said everything interesting that he's got to say and now he's just rehashing things that he said earlier and said better before. I definitely don't think he's overrated, but I do think that he's not really said anything new for quite some time.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

That's exactly the problem with Gaiman - he has a great idea, it's just time to move on to a new one.

Every time Gaiman has released a new novel since American Gods, I look at the blurb and figure out which of his previous work it rehashes (and then I usually just go reread Sandman.)

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah I generally like his shorts better than his novels.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Kalman posted:

That's exactly the problem with Gaiman - he has a great idea, it's just time to move on to a new one.

Every time Gaiman has released a new novel since American Gods, I look at the blurb and figure out which of his previous work it rehashes (and then I usually just go reread Sandman.)

I like Gaiman, but his thing has always been 'what if this concept/object was anthropomorphised?' over and over again across all his stories. It's been the same from Sandman right through to his Doctor Who episode.

Crashbee fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 4, 2014

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

I don't think I really like anything Gaiman writes, though, and usually when I'm reading something of his I just wish Clive Barker had written it instead.
He definitely can write good stuff, like Good Omens and a lot of his short stories, I just think that most of his more famous work doesn't really measure up to the glowing reputation he has. Maybe it's that effect where an original work is so influential that it starts looking clichéd to people who know the derivative stuff, though. I don't know.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I really felt that Good Omens was juvenile/predictable and got bored of it 30% in. Oh look, you turned cerberus into a toy dog. ha ha I saw what you did there.

I also saw what you did, there.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
So I started reading the first Uplift book after a recommendation upthread. Please for the love of god, tell me the writing gets better as they go on? The story seems interesting but it honestly reads like it was written by someone from TV Tropes. Every second sentence ends with an exclamation mark, and the female characters (of which there are like 2 so far) are pretty much only described in terms of whether they are attractive or not.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Vulpes posted:

So I started reading the first Uplift book after a recommendation upthread. Please for the love of god, tell me the writing gets better as they go on? The story seems interesting but it honestly reads like it was written by someone from TV Tropes. Every second sentence ends with an exclamation mark, and the female characters (of which there are like 2 so far) are pretty much only described in terms of whether they are attractive or not.

If by first book you mean Sundiver, Startide Rising and The Uplift War are much better. I don't remember all that much about Sundiver, but I revisit SR and UW pretty often. Brin's not all that good a character writer, though; they tend to be pretty flat.
But I just love the Uplift universe and wish there was more of it. Most people seem pretty down on the 'second' trilogy, but I like it.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Pyroclastic posted:

If by first book you mean Sundiver, Startide Rising and The Uplift War are much better. I don't remember all that much about Sundiver, but I revisit SR and UW pretty often. Brin's not all that good a character writer, though; they tend to be pretty flat.
But I just love the Uplift universe and wish there was more of it. Most people seem pretty down on the 'second' trilogy, but I like it.

I bought the trilogy as one e-book on Amazon, but yeah Sundiver sounds right given the plot so far. Glad to know it improves later.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I don't think anyone ever recommends starting Uplift with Sundiver, it's the shoddy prequel book you can go read if you want more stuff, even if it was published first.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Startide Rising is definitely the best. I was glad I'd read Sundiver first though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I liked Sundiver best, because it didn't have masturbating dolphins or extended discussions of chimp genitals.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The two things SF literature needs more of if you ask me!

edit: Hey talking about chimp genitals, has anyone read The Evolution of Bruno Littlemore? It seems kinda interesting but I'm wondering if it's good or not.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jun 5, 2014

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

If you're reading Coraline, he did.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Kalman posted:

I'd include American Gods in this, given its treatment of the Norse gods and (minor American Gods/SANDMAN spoiler) Bilquis and Ishtar...

Hedrigall posted:

The two things SF literature needs more of if you ask me!

edit: Hey talking about chimp genitals, has anyone read The Evolution of Bruno Littlemore? It seems kinda interesting but I'm wondering if it's good or not.

Quoted for posterity, but more to the point, who the hell's the author? Someone might be able to say "Haven't read that one but her other book Columbus' Disintegration was awesome, so try it" or whatever. Sorry to pick on you, I know loads of people don't do this...

(E: :siren: ~*~*~*Cheers m8!!!11!!*~*~*~ :siren:)

Also, the Hugo Voter Packet is now available, although I can't see a list of contents (yes, yes, I know... "Not most of Ancillary Justice"...). If you can afford to be banned four times, you can buy it and the right to vote, including voting for the Retro Hugos which will also be included. Vote for Ayn Rand's Anthem!

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 5, 2014

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

House Louse posted:

Quoted for posterity, but more to the point, who the hell's the author? Someone might be able to say "Haven't read that one but her other book Columbus' Disintegration was awesome, so try it" or whatever. Sorry to pick on you, I know loads of people don't do this...

Oh okay. Has anyone read The Evolution of Bruno Littlemore by :siren: ~*~*~*Benjamin Hale*~*~*~ :siren:?

The plot by the way, is about an uplifted chimp who falls in love with a primate researcher. As a primate researcher who likes the concept of uplift in SF, I find this to sound fascinating, and I might read it. (I definitely have never had a chimp fall in love with me though.)

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Hedrigall posted:

Startide Rising is definitely the best. I was glad I'd read Sundiver first though.

Seconded. Uplift war is not bad either. But Sundiver does not compare with the other two books

By the way, I found the second trilogy quite inferior to the first one. I can't say way, but I didn't got caught by thr Brightness Reef world, nor their inhabitants, nor their personal stories.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Two books summaries were posted in the GBS "space thread":

Yaos posted:

I remember reading a cool short story about FTL travel, I wish I could find it again because it owned. In the story FTL travel was really easy to figure out, and everybody but Earth figured it out when they were in the pre-industrial age. In the story some space craft is coming after Earth and because Earth does not have FTL travel so the aliens assume Earth is some backwards planet full of idiots they can conquer.

The description of the alien spacecraft is cool, they are stuck with 1700's equivilent technology so they light the spacecraft with lanterns and candles, and the whole ship smells like poo poo because they have no way to vent their poops.

So they think Earth is full of idiots, and it will be an easy fight to conquer the planet. As the ship descends they get buzzed by some military planes and they are all like "wtf how can they have this poo poo". They know from experience when they land there will be a huge crowd of idiots, so the first thing they do when they land is start firing their cannons (as in cannon balls) and form ranks to start killing everybody with their superior muzzle loaded guns.

The crowd on the ground consists of a bunch of regular people, and I think the Mayor of the city they were landing in had gotten a band together to welcome the aliens. Unfortunately for the space aliens the military also showed up.

So the aliens get close to landing and they are like "wtf, how did they make all these buildings". They land and form ranks, and before they can even start firing the the Earth military dudes realize what they are doing but they can't start shooting because of their ROE. The alien ship starts shooting buildings with it's cannon balls and the aliens get off one volley before the Earth military opens up with their machine guns.

The commander of the aliens is like "holy poo poo what's that sound" as he watches his alien comrades get mowed down. The alien commander also gets hit but he doesn't die.

We then move to what I think is a military hospital or something. The alien commander expects to be tortured because that's what everybody else does, but is surprised that they are trying to heal him and trying to figure out his language.

In the end he realizes he screwed up by landing on the planet, because now Earth has FTL travel and has technology centuries beyond everybody else.

Edit: It reminds me of Stargate. The aliens have all this advanced technology but still fight in ranks and jaffa waves and light their ships with fire.

and

d3c0y2 posted:

There was a really shitily amazing book series that I forget the name of just now which involved two incredibly peaceful but diametrically opposed civilizations fighting a very low violence war for eons against each other because while they realise war is inevitable between the two of them they both abhor violence to such a degree that they can't bring themselves to just start vapourising each other.

Then one stupid idiot works out their civilisation will eventually lose, discovers humankind and despite being like "well gently caress these guys are all sociopathic violent maniacs" decides to uplift them to an interstellar race. Humankinds only talent is pure, suicidal war and they end up obliterating the other side within like 200 years. Then everyone realises they're probably next and it's too late to put humanity back on the rock they found them.

What I'm trying to say is Aliens are probably idiots ripe for conquering.

Anyone ever read either of these? Also, any good books where humans are not the put upon upstarts of an aged universe but the biggest baddest dudes in it? Preferably from the standpoint of an alien race that's being oppressed by them (us)?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I've read the latter, it's by Alan Dean Foster and called "The Damned" trilogy. I enjoyed them a lot, they're not exactly masterpieces but I wouldn't call them "lovely" either.

The setting makes it sound like it should be milfic, but it isn't really. Their big selling point to me is how differently they portray humans from basically every other science fiction setting: instead of being the average to which all aliens are compared, aliens are the average to which we are compared. The premise is that all intelligent species eventually develop into a highly cultured pacifism out of evolutionary pressure or go extinct before ever becoming civilized. Only three or four out of hundreds of species are even capable of facing violence at all without going catatonic out of emotional trauma. Humanity is horribly, horribly different due to a number of factors and scares the piss out of everybody else as a result.

The real narrative lies in the exploration of how humanity integrates with this galactic society, where everyone is all that our better impulses make us want to be but that we can't be.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Cardiovorax posted:

I've read the latter, it's by Alan Dean Foster and called "The Damned" trilogy. I enjoyed them a lot, they're not exactly masterpieces but I wouldn't call them "lovely" either.

It is a trilogy... First book is "A Call to Arms". I have just added it to my reading queue. Alan Dean Foster is usually a "light" read, and I'm now in the mood for that after "Germline".

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

zoux posted:

The first is Harry Turtledove's short story, "The Road Not Taken". Incidentally, the identify that story thread is the best place for this sort of thing.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

zoux posted:

Anyone ever read either of these? Also, any good books where humans are not the put upon upstarts of an aged universe but the biggest baddest dudes in it? Preferably from the standpoint of an alien race that's being oppressed by them (us)?

I haven't read those, but the first kinda reminds me of a book called Pandora's Legions by Christopher Anvil. It's told from the perspective of aliens trying to invade Earth, but that turns out to be very difficult as we're naturally much smarter than they are, the only reason they have FTL and whatnot is because they're much better at working together and haven't wasted nearly as much time and effort fighting wars amongst themselves. Eventually we relent and join their galactic empire and effectively ruin the galaxy taking advantage of aliens with used-car-salesman type tactics.

I last read it when I was a teenager so I can't swear as to its quality, but it is the sort of thing you're looking for and I remember it being pretty entertaining.

Edit: Oh and the whole thing is adapted from his short stories written between the 50s and the 70s, so if you're particularly sensitive to the social justice issues brought up so often in this thread, I'd skip it. I don't remember anything blatantly offensive, but you won't see many female characters for example.

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 5, 2014

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I'm about halfway through Brian McClellan's second Powder Mage book, Crimson Campaign, and it's really good so far. I like it even more than the first one.

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

Discount Philosopher and Cat Whisperer

Hedrigall posted:

Oh okay. Has anyone read The Evolution of Bruno Littlemore by :siren: ~*~*~*Benjamin Hale*~*~*~ :siren:?

The plot by the way, is about an uplifted chimp who falls in love with a primate researcher. As a primate researcher who likes the concept of uplift in SF, I find this to sound fascinating, and I might read it. (I definitely have never had a chimp fall in love with me though.)

Looks interesting. Years ago I read The Woman and The Ape which seems to be a similar concept.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Mister Kingdom posted:

Red Mars I liked, but I got about halfway through Green Mars and kept saying, "Get on with it!".

I may go back to it later.

Lord Hydronium posted:

I read about half of Red Mars before getting sidetracked, but I did enjoy it, and it's a series I'd like to try again. How is 2312, for anyone who's read it?

A few pages back, but everytime I hear someone say that they tried the Mars trilogy only to get bored with it I have to say this to them:

Find the audiobook.

KSR's a great world-builder, but his writing is dense as gently caress and difficult, at times, to force yourself through. I read the Mars Trilogy in the 90s and didn't like it too much (though that might have more to do with me being 9-10 when I was reading it), read it again in highschool and still didn't like it too much, but then listened to Red Mars while I was driving cross country. It works much better when you can just sit back and listen to how KSR describes Mars and the process by which it is peopled. The Mars Trilogy works way, way, way better as a radio documentary than as three books that you have to slug through. They're great as something that you can drop in and out of in terms of paying attention, letting myself get lost in the audiobook was the best time I've ever had with any of KSR's books.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Amberskin posted:

It is a trilogy... First book is "A Call to Arms". I have just added it to my reading queue. Alan Dean Foster is usually a "light" read, and I'm now in the mood for that after "Germline".

I'm reading Germline right now. It's utterly fantastic and heavy as hell.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

zoux posted:

The first one is The Road Not Taken

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Cardiovorax posted:

The setting makes it sound like it should be milfic, but it isn't really. Their big selling point to me is how differently they portray humans from basically every other science fiction setting: instead of being the average to which all aliens are compared, aliens are the average to which we are compared. The premise is that all intelligent species eventually develop into a highly cultured pacifism out of evolutionary pressure or go extinct before ever becoming civilized. Only three or four out of hundreds of species are even capable of facing violence at all without going catatonic out of emotional trauma. Humanity is horribly, horribly different due to a number of factors and scares the piss out of everybody else as a result.

The real narrative lies in the exploration of how humanity integrates with this galactic society, where everyone is all that our better impulses make us want to be but that we can't be.

This sounds really good and it's a pity that, from the sounds of it, the writing lets the idea down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The writing isn't actually bad, as scifi goes I'd say it's at least average. It's more character-driven than high concept, which I guess makes it comparatively light reading to some tastes, but I think it does its premise justice.