Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating
When the senior cunts of the LNP told the Nats that they were planning to axe the diesel fuel rebate they should have told them that it was a good idea, but just keep it in place for the farmers, and let the miners pay full price. And then watch them backpedal real loving fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

You Am I posted:

lol of course the US would still have Debtors' Prisons.

You can get tossed in jail for contempt of court if you refuse to pay court fees or court imposed debt(such as child support payments) and can't prove to the judge that you can't pay. A lot of these sorts of cases get thrown out on 14th amendment grounds.

We're not talking about being jailed for credit card debt or whatever. It's like saying that a country has debtors prisons because they jail people for refusing to pay their taxes.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Yeah it's basically being jailed for contempt of court not the debt itself.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
I like how even Howard is calling Abbott's budget as being unfair.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Gerry Connolly's Sir Joh and Queen Liz 2 impersonations were great

Brilliant, love Pope's work.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
We're through the looking glass

quote:

Alan Jones and Andrew Bolt are "bomb throwers" doing the work of the Labor Party to undermine the Abbott government, says Malcolm Turnbull.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

You gotta be kidding me.

If we're through the looking glass, who the gently caress is cheshire?

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Lid posted:

We're through the looking glass

Is this peak parody? Surely we're now on the comfortable rise back into professional journalism and responsible politicians, because it feels like civil unrest is the only thing that can make all this more extreme.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

I like the speedo over the shorts.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

This was amusing, apparently random internet troll comments are important statements for our ministers to get on the record:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY_V6iocd3o

Quick, what other things are they cutting, maybe we can get someone to say "over nine thousand penises" next.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Ragingsheep posted:

I like how even Howard is calling Abbott's budget as being unfair.

What ? Really?

Yeah, I really like Pope's work.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Those On My Beet posted:

What ? Really?

A sit down with Howard and Hawke, where Howard stated that if you can convice the australian people that something is necessary and fundamentaly fair they will back it. The implication being the opposition to the budget is becasue it is not fair. The LNP can spin it that the budget is fair, and the comments are about the educating the public on it though. Expect many column inches on the topic.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Napthine has caught a bit of the can't recall fever. He is claiming that he cannot remember who Geoff Shaw requested he appoint to the judiciary, or what position he requested the appointment to. Also he didn't consider referring to IBAC a member whose vote could topple his government requesting a judiciary appointment, because it was too ludicrous to be corrupt.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Those On My Beet posted:

What ? Really?

Yeah, I really like Pope's work.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/john-howard-rebukes-tony-abbott-over-fairness-20140604-39jgi.html

Bit guarded so not an out and out attack.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Gough Suppressant posted:

Napthine has caught a bit of the can't recall fever. He is claiming that he cannot remember who Geoff Shaw requested he appoint to the judiciary, or what position he requested the appointment to. Also he didn't consider referring to IBAC a member whose vote could topple his government requesting a judiciary appointment, because it was too ludicrous to be corrupt.

Hahahaha that's the best he can come up with?

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Bolt and Jones are both happy to sabotage their favourite political party if it services their egos. That's all there is to this really. They both have trouble staying relevant when there's not a Labor government to criticise.

homebrew
Mar 13, 2007

Needs more (safer) beer.

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Bolt and Jones are both happy to sabotage their favourite political party if it services their egos. That's all there is to this really. They both have trouble staying relevant when there's not a Labor government to criticise.

Bolt and Jones, are in many ways like the factions in the ALP. They seem only to be able to keep a consistent message out there when their side of politics is in opposition.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Goooood morning Adelaide.
The city's under partial lockdown due to a repeat arms offender holding hostages in a brothel.

Turnbull's become royally pissed off with Jones and just hung up.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

quote:

''This is the most united, cohesive government we've had in this country for a long time and I think it is just very sad that you and Bolt are doing the work of the Labor Party and undermining the Abbott government.''

Mr Jones asked Mr Turnbull if he was suggesting that he and Mr Bolt were the bomb throwers.

''You are Alan, you are,'' Mr Turnbull said.

In an earlier exchange, Mr Turnbull issued a rebuke to Mr Jones after he demanded the Communications Minister recite a declaration of his allegiance to the ''Abbott-Hockey strategy for budget repair''.

''Alan, I am not going to take dictation from you,'' he said.

''I am a cabinet minister, I support unreservedly, and wholeheartedly every element in the budget, every single one.''

He added: ''Do you want me just to read through the whole budget?''

Most cohesive government.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

So this pic, apparently of Peta Credlin next to SBY, is lighting up twitter:

The media meanwhile is eating up everything about the Jones-Turnbull interview, which must come as a relief to a government not keen to have Budget coverage while Tones is away. The Cabinet are now claiming they didn't "play the Nats", but thats coming from Cormann. Truss must feel a right berk.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Turnbull posted:

In an earlier exchange, Mr Turnbull issued a rebuke to Mr Jones after he demanded the Communications Minister recite a declaration of his allegiance to the ''Abbott-Hockey strategy for budget repair''.

''Alan, I am not going to take dictation from you,'' he said.

''I am a cabinet minister, I support unreservedly, and wholeheartedly every element in the budget, every single one.''

He added: ''Do you want me just to read through the whole budget?''

There's something to save for the unlikely possibility he becomes leader again.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

ewe2 posted:

Because as a staffer she's technically not meant to be sitting in on these meetings?

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

WebDog posted:

Because as a staffer she's technically not meant to be sitting in on these meetings?

Looks like that meeting has a staff infection. :D

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
‪#‎BREAKING‬: Eddie Obeid and Joe Tripodi found to be corrupt over Circular Quay retail lease policy ‪#‎ICAC‬

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Those On My Beet posted:

Hahahaha that's the best he can come up with?

He also said that people ask him for judicial appointments so often that he can't be expected to remember any one occasion.

Schlinky
Mar 12, 2009

...Too much drink.

Those On My Beet posted:

What ? Really?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/national-press-club/

Starts around the 27 minute mark if anyone's interested.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Jumpingmanjim posted:

#‎BREAKING‬: Eddie Obeid and Joe Tripodi found to be corrupt over Circular Quay retail lease policy ‪#‎ICAC‬

Libel and defamation lawsuits would be falling apart at this point, wouldn't they?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

ewe2 posted:

Maybe I'm being dense, but I don't get why this is a big deal? Indonesia's foreign minister is sitting on Abbott's right, and are we supposed to believe that none of the Indonesians at that table aren't staffers?

I mean yeah it's a pretty prominent position for someone who isn't an elected official, but she's clearly a crucial part of the staff and it makes sense that she's there?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
ha, I feel sorry for the poor Indonesian staffer who approached Credlin and asked her to put on a traditional shirt.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Do you think Peta has a dirt file on the Indonesian President too?

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

WebDog posted:

Is it even a meeting? The napkins and rolls seem to indicate a meal sitting to me. Visitng party entertained by hosts, both groups mixed in to promote conversation. news at 11.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

KennyTheFish posted:

Is it even a meeting? The napkins and rolls seem to indicate a meal sitting to me. Visitng party entertained by hosts, both groups mixed in to promote conversation. news at 11.

Have you never been to a lunch meeting?

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
The photo is lovely but isn't that Marty Natelegawa siting on Abbott's right?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

No it's just people really stretching.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Smegmatron posted:

The photo is lovely but isn't that Marty Natelegawa siting on Abbott's right?

Yeah it is

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
So (current) General David Hurley, Chief of the Defence Force, is going to be made NSW Governor today.

A current member of the military sitting in the position of head of state for a state.

Wat.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
He's retiring next month.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Ah, forgot about that. Any word who's replacing him? I remember Campbell was being put up, but people suggested it was quid-pro-quo for OSB and everyone got very mad and immediately shut up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Which is shorthand for we're doing it anyway with this government.

I really wish the Queen would put her foot down about this bullshit. She's fast becoming our only real hope.

• Locked thread