Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The secret revealed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I think it's just that one of the really unique things about Dark Souls 1 was that everything fit together in physical space near perfectly like a jigsaw puzzle and gave you a near-infinite draw distance on the horizon meaning things you saw far away were actually physical locations and not just graphical skybox trickery.

Losing that going to Dark Souls 2 is sad, sure. But I imagine that it was a sacrifice made when all the level designers from Dark Souls 1 wound up dead from stress-induced coronary failure.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

the crown of the ivory king had better be an elephant head or else I don't give a gently caress about no dlc

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Zaphod42 posted:

However, going up from Earthen Peak to Iron Keep just doesn't make sense. If they had a short tunnel, I could easily imagine it was a longer tunnel that ran for miles to get to some unseen volcano. But going up just doesn't compute, that's why it stands out so badly. There's other parts of the game that aren't super consistent but nobody notices because its subtle.

Yeah, that's really it. If you think about it the transition from Majula to Heide's Tower of Flame is pretty weird, but you don't really notice it. Lots of corridors aren't as long as they would kinda have to be, but it's easy to overlook entirely. Earthen Peak to Iron Keep? That's just a whole nother class of disbelief-suspension required to make that fit together.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

masato tatanka posted:

the crown of the ivory king had better be an elephant head or else I don't give a gently caress about no dlc

Good news it is!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

For all those decrying the DLC, have I got a steam group for you !

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/DS2_DLC_BOYCOTT

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

I hope it only ever has two people in it. That'd be great.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"Overpriced" content packs my rear end. The season pass is $25. That means that the three DLCs, on average, are like 8 bucks, which will probably be rounded up to $10 for each individual release.

Artorias of the Abyss was 15 dollars (and it still is on the Xbox Live marketplace).

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Cowcaster posted:

I think it's just that one of the really unique things about Dark Souls 1 was that everything fit together in physical space near perfectly like a jigsaw puzzle and gave you a near-infinite draw distance on the horizon meaning things you saw far away were actually physical locations and not just graphical skybox trickery.
DS1 did have its own not-quite-right geographical issues. Lost Izalith and Ash Lake were at about the same elevation going by the game geometry, but that makes no sense physically. I suspect that the Great Hollow and the route taken in Ash Lake would be much larger going by the lore than what we see in game, but it's not clear to me whether Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith were supposed to be up in the branches of the archtree with Lordran or down below Ash Lake. Probably up in the tree, but having magma up there is weird.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I have played all 3 DLCs and can definitely say that they're overpriced for the amount of content they offer (all of which was cut from the original game). These are things that I know.

Fuzz posted:

Unrelated, but I leveled up a Great Club and am digging it, but holy poo poo its durability is awful. You invariably will clip through corpses for multiple hits so you can't ever consistently use it for an entire area, because it'll break.

How could FROM gently caress this up so badly compared to DS1? What was wrong with the old durability system from Demon's and Dark 1? :wtc:

The old system was pretty pointless and basically did nothing but make you screw around in menus for a moment every time you sat at a bonfire for a couple souls. It may have had the same broken implementation but it didn't matter because the game ran at 30 FPS on all systems and everything had so much durability that it never mattered anyway if hitting a corpse made durability drain.

I actually liked the idea of the new system a lot, since it's way less hassle if you don't let anything break and actually affects the game in sort of interesting ways, they just implemented it really really badly.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Shut up about the goddamn elevator, literally nothing new could be added to that discussion at this point.

Orv fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 4, 2014

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

More dark souls is cool with me. No complaints here.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

I have an innate hatred for DLC because it's a symptom of game studios choosing to gently caress over the modding community in favor of scrabbling for more cash on top of a full-price game, which often includes underhanded tactics like intentionally removing finished content to package as "launch day DLC". Regardless of how much I bitch however, the season pass has already been purchased because PTDE was a worthy buy and I like DS2.

Thinking about trying this out to beat the new "all the buffs all the time" meta. Thoughts? http://gamehubbs.com/darksouls2/builds/4088

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I might believe it was cut content DLC if it wasn't entirely new places and instead something like, oh I dunno, another map connecting Earthen Peak to Iron Keep :shepface:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

CJacobs posted:

"Overpriced" content packs my rear end. The season pass is $25. That means that the three DLCs, on average, are like 8 bucks, which will probably be rounded up to $10 for each individual release.

Artorias of the Abyss was 15 dollars (and it still is on the Xbox Live marketplace).

I think the PC crowd might've overlooked that because Artorias of the Abyss was free and included with the $50 Dark Souls purchase.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

sushibandit posted:

I have an innate hatred for DLC because it's a symptom of game studios choosing to gently caress over the modding community in favor of scrabbling for more cash on top of a full-price game, which often includes underhanded tactics like intentionally removing finished content to package as "launch day DLC". Regardless of how much I bitch however, the season pass has already been purchased because PTDE was a worthy buy and I like DS2.

Thinking about trying this out to beat the new "all the buffs all the time" meta. Thoughts? http://gamehubbs.com/darksouls2/builds/4088
That seems to be good, how long would Profound Still last with those stats of yours?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

sushibandit posted:

How does DLC gently caress over the modding community? :confused:

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
I've been getting a little bored of PvP so I started playing as the Friendly Invader. I don't do anything except use Chameleon and toss out Prism Stones/Divine Blessings. It's great when the host trust me enough to not back-stab them, and I get to kill invading Blues as well! Win win except for when the host gives me no quarter and we end up having to fight. :(

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

kazil posted:

Adding in resources moves memory targets and code all over the place meaning a lot of stuff needs to be rebuilt.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

kazil posted:

In the vast majority of cases it means the devs never release official modding tools (even when they could/would have otherwise), because community generated content/mods is generally on par with what the studio could release as DLC, which means fewer people would buy said DLC. It's an rear end-backwards thought process, but leave it to clueless industry execs to poo poo on everything in favor of short-term profit.

Also what cowcaster said.

neetengie posted:

That seems to be good, how long would Profound Still last with those stats of yours?

No idea, haven't tested it out yet. After looking up the Resonant Weapon change though, I'm considering switching to SLB and a spear that's got built in lightning damage, or dropping GRS/RB/want for Dark Blade/Dark Hail/staff. Decisions.

Edit: @cow yeah, I'm just referring to DLC in general. A toolkit for the 'souls games would be hella sexy though.

sushibandit fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 5, 2014

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

My only concern about the DLC is that we have to wait 'til the end of July for the first one.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cowcaster posted:

Adding in resources moves memory targets and code all over the place meaning a lot of stuff needs to be rebuilt.

This, sort of. It's not the DLC that does it so much as updating the game in general; with every title update, be it to add DLC to the game or otherwise, the hashes for texture files and memory stuff all get shuffled around and they have to be found again. It's kind of a pain in the rear end and it makes documentation for mods difficult! Dark Souls 1 was the same way but thankfully it only got a couple of updates on PC.

It's not like From is consciously loving over modders (or loving them over at all because really it's just a minor inconvenience) though so I dunno where that guy is coming from.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Orv posted:

Shut up about the goddamn elevator, literally nothing new could be added to that discussion at this point.

No but somebody new joined the conversation, who just got to playing to that part, and he didn't know we all had that discussion already. And we already told him. And that conversation already ended.

So shush yourself.

sushibandit posted:

In some cases mods and DLC live happily side-by-side (Skyrim) but yeah, usually its one or the other.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Colapops posted:

My only concern about the DLC is that we have to wait 'til the end of July for the first one.
Fine by me. I had lovely, busy May, and June isn't looking better. That might give me time to finish the main game before the DLC shows up, and maybe even a bit into my first NG+. *fingers crossed*

CJacobs posted:

It's not like From is consciously loving over modders (or loving them over at all because really it's just a minor inconvenience) though so I dunno where that guy is coming from.
I agree that the intentional mod blockage to push DLC sales is a thing in PC gaming in the past few years, but I don't think it applies in this particular case. From just isn't a PC dev, and modding isn't even a thing they're going to consider. (despite a mod probably saving their previous game on PC)

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 5, 2014

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

sushibandit posted:

In the vast majority of cases it means the devs never release official modding tools (even when they could/would have otherwise), because community generated content/mods is generally on par with what the studio could release as DLC, which means fewer people would buy said DLC. It's an rear end-backwards thought process, but leave it to clueless industry execs to poo poo on everything in favor of short-term profit.

I think that's kind of a moot point, I don't think From Software is in danger of ever officially releasing a dark souls 2 toolkit ever.

edit: What Robot Hobo said.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 5, 2014

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
I've seen a lot of people saying you can stop leveling at 150, what do you do with all the extra souls then? There's only so much stuff to buy once you find a fashion souls setup you like, and pvp is SM based anyways. What do you get from stopping at 150?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
You get nothing except the satisfaction(?) of adhering to someone's arbitrarily assigned limit for Perfect Honorable PvP-san.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

I've seen a lot of people saying you can stop leveling at 150, what do you do with all the extra souls then? There's only so much stuff to buy once you find a fashion souls setup you like, and pvp is SM based anyways. What do you get from stopping at 150?

I think you kind of misunderstood, at around 150 is where all builds start converging on the same point, so that beyond that everyone starts becoming a master of everything. If you have souls to burn, keep burning them on level ups if you want.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

sushibandit posted:

No idea, haven't tested it out yet. After looking up the Resonant Weapon change though, I'm considering switching to SLB and a spear that's got built in lightning damage, or dropping GRS/RB/want for Dark Blade/Dark Hail/staff. Decisions.

Resonant Weapon is still better than Dark Weapon in most situations and Dark Hail/Dark Orb are complete poo poo. You're better off sticking with chiming hexes or maybe sorceries.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Yeah it's nothing but an ill-reasoned stopping point for honor bros and their fight clubs/duels. Don't stop at 150 if your build needs more points.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

sushibandit posted:

because community generated content/mods is generally on par with what the studio could release as DLC

No, it's not. For games with heavy modding scenes there will generally be one or two mods that are really loving good, but 99% are at best interesting but horribly balanced/integrated, and at worst complete poo poo. And that's not even including fetishistic poo poo.

DLC is really good because it allows developers to continue adding content to a game, and in many cases content that would never have existed in the first place. There are plenty of companies that abuse this to release garbage, but that doesn't affect you unless you decide to purchase it.

Your argument doesn't even begin to make sense for the Souls games since they don't have, and likely never will have, since Fromsoft is not a PC developer, any real in-depth modding.

Satisfaction for killing idiots hundreds of levels above you. Aside from that, nothing. It's boring leveling past that imo since you have too much stuff that you don't really have a build anymore, but there's not necessarily a reason not to. It does limit your ability to purchase consumables for PVP use (i.e. the bombs, knives, resins, etc.)

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
Pfft, honor? I just killed a blue cop while being a blue sentinel myself because I wanted my humanity back.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Dark Souls DLC was some of the best DLC I've ever played and arguably better than the base game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Domattee posted:

Resonant Weapon is still better than Dark Weapon in most situations and Dark Hail/Dark Orb are complete poo poo. You're better off sticking with chiming hexes or maybe sorceries.

Dark Orb's a useful staple for killing smaller enemies. It's stronger than heavy soul arrow/great heavy soul arrow if you have a dark staff/chime. And with the nerf GRS is only 50% stronger than it now anyway.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

Dark Orb's a useful staple for killing smaller enemies. It's stronger than heavy soul arrow/great heavy soul arrow if you have a dark staff/chime. And with the nerf GRS is only 50% stronger than it now anyway.

Unless you're a jerk and put all your twinkling titanite eggs in one magic-infused staff of wisdom basket which can't even cast hexes :shepface:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Resonant Weapon is not better than DW. It lasts less time, requires more Att, has less casts, and barely does any more damage.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
You can't ask a developer not to add content to their game because it'll screw over modders. Paradox very lovingly supports their mod community right down to devs who communicate with modders on a daily basis, but they still patch and expand their games at an often frantic rate. Wanting proper mod tools for the game is another argument entirely.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Red orbs are pretty spendy.

I don't think anybody ever answered the question of what was different with rapiers with the new calibrations and I just tried it, so: if you're two handing you can only go r1-l1-r1 or the reverse and then you can't attack any more for a bit.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Night Blade posted:

There's something about hearing the title "Dark Souls" in tandem with the term "Season Pass" that makes me throw up a little in my mouth. The term is regularly reserved for poo poo tier titles such as Borderlands, or Watch Dogs. Still, I'd like to think the 24.99 pricetag speaks to speaks to the length and quality of the new content, right?

..........................right????

Borderlands 2 is fantastic, you shut up. Also "Season Pass" is just code for "A discount for all of the DLC" so I don't see the big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.

sushibandit posted:

The many reasons that developers have for not releasing mod tools have little to do with DLC.