Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Wallet posted:

Much like Tropico 4, it seems like the biggest issue with Teamsters is that they often deliver poo poo and then lose their car, which leaves them driving to a dock to drop stuff off and then walking all the way back to where they work. If your teamsters seem to be taking forever to move poo poo right near their office, this is probably why. I'm not sure why the developers didn't bother to fix the teamsters being so lazy that they ship their car full of produce to another country instead of unloading it.

Intermodal transportation! It reduces turnaround times! :science:

Plop a garage in your dock area. Plop garages loving everywhere, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

Intermodal transportation! It reduces turnaround times! :science:

Plop a garage in your dock area. Plop garages loving everywhere, basically.

I mostly just wait for Metro stations to expand a significant distance from the shore, since Garages look really stupid in 5. It does help, though the developers should really still do something about it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

At least they're not the gigantic 2x2 buildings they were in 4.

I haven't spent enough time in the modern era to make extensive use of metros yet.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I love how skinny garages parking lots are now.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Platystemon posted:

I love how skinny garages parking lots are now.

I just hate the graphic, and particularly if you haven't modded the population cap, having a ton of workers manning garages everywhere is sort of poo poo. Someone should mod them so that no one has to sit around watching the parked cars (I don't think they even make a profit?). Alternatively, it would help with the lack of housing differentiation people were complaining about earlier if modern houses/apartments provided parking/cars to their residents.

Completely unrelated, but have any of the people messing with modding figured out if you can give a building a footprint smaller than a square on the grid?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Not to beat the "Raaarh they changed a thing from tropico 4!!!" horse too much but I loving hate the new immigration system. Previously I could just close my borders down with the immigration office and not get any immigrants. Or if I wanted to release some steam I could encourage emigration. It was a good system that let me choose between getting no on, getting tons of people, getting educated people, or kicking people out. All the things a player would want to do.

Now we only have 3 options with barely any difference. The options are "get a flood of immigrants" "get a flood of immigrants with more educated ones" and "get a slightly smaller flood of immigrants and no one can leave". Even with guarded heaven I'm getting more immigrants than I can handle or want. My little balanced utopia now has about 75% unemployment and homeless. I thought setting things to "immigrants nation" would allow these starving unhappy people to leave. Nope, next boats I get about 30 immigrants.

Is there any way to control your population?

Once again I wish I could figure out modding because I'd love to change the 3 immigration policies to actually reflect the things a player would want to do. Have one setting that encourages people to immigrant en mass and make it harder for emigration, another to encourage skilled immigrants, and a 3rd to reduce or block immigration but ENCOURAGE emigration.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 3, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Kill 'em.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Baronjutter posted:

Well you could do what I unintentionally did above, Stop essentially all food production. I had to declare martial law to avoid losing an election, but my soldiers valiantly fought the many waves of rebels on empty stomachs because the other factors of happiness were apparently high enough. :911:

Come to think of it, it seems like it could be fairly analogous to the problems Russia faced in its rapid industrialization, or maybe even China's great leap forward. This time with a bunch of office towers and new factories luring high school educated people away from food production. Tropico is truly an advanced political and economic simulator indeed.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Not to beat the "Raaarh they changed a thing from tropico 4!!!" horse too much but I loving hate the new immigration system. Previously I could just close my borders down with the immigration office and not get any immigrants. Or if I wanted to release some steam I could encourage emigration. It was a good system that let me choose between getting no on, getting tons of people, getting educated people, or kicking people out. All the things a player would want to do.

Now we only have 3 options with barely any difference. The options are "get a flood of immigrants" "get a flood of immigrants with more educated ones" and "get a slightly smaller flood of immigrants and no one can leave". Even with guarded heaven I'm getting more immigrants than I can handle or want. My little balanced utopia now has about 75% unemployment and homeless. I thought setting things to "immigrants nation" would allow these starving unhappy people to leave. Nope, next boats I get about 30 immigrants.

Once again I wish I could figure out modding because I'd love to change the 3 immigration policies to actually reflect the things a player would want to do. Have one setting that encourages people to immigrant en mass and make it harder for emigration, another to encourage skilled immigrants, and a 3rd to reduce or block immigration but ENCOURAGE emigration.

Well, if your immigration is outpacing your job openings, you're not developing fast enough. Just put down some farms or something.

What I hate is how opaque the new politics system is. What edicts piss off who? Which constitution options piss off who and by how much? What's behind the "NEW BUILDINGS" for each faction? Who knows! If there's a number that would be useful to know to plan your strategy, they're obfuscating it.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Go full Rapture make people pay for food and let the 'parasites' starve. Just make sure your military is up to snuff, which hey, also lessens the unemployment problem.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I just want to make a small utopian village and slowwwwly expand. Why are people even coming to my island if there's no jobs or housing? That was my main joy in T4. Emigration office was like my first building and then I only expanded as population grew via births. That or I'd just play on "immigrants out". Wish there was an immigrants out sandbox setting. So many lost settings.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In a true balanced society annual starvation matches immigration.

Also I read someplace else that you should replace older service buildings with modern version such as replacing tavern with restaurant. Is that true? Are there any service buildings like opera house that should stay? Is there any kind of bonus for having several types of entertainment?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm currently trying out a completely sustainable economy (no mines, oil wells or imports) with an added healthy no rum and no tobacco on top. Haven't used sugar farms either but I might build some for the chocolate factory later. So far I've had to break the rules twice. First a short term tobacco plantation to get an extra 6 months of colonial era and then temporarily build a powerplant so I can plop down the space center to progress into the modern era and finally get access to electricity. Hard economy difficulty too.

So far I've found a few strategies for guard towers.
-Plop them down everywhere to distract invaders/rebels for a while so, hopefully, your army can catch up.
-Plop them down in small numbers near important structures.
-Plop down a shitload (6-8) near you main dock and just slaughter most invaders as the spawn. They always spawn at the same spots so when the waves get large enough you can plop down another group at the other locations too. Obviously this doesn't affect rebels unless they decide to target a military structure.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Plus if you have the aircraft carrier, build a group of guard towers so the attackers will mass up to destroy them.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I always just make a huge clump of like 12 guard towers where invasions spawn. I've never had rebels but I put some scattered around other places on the island as well.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Great giant tropical spiders! I banned smoking and had an uprising of 12. They all died charging my group of guard towers of death and doom but it has kinda crippled my economy.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I really wish there was an indication of what the "vicinity" of a building is.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Poil posted:

Great giant tropical spiders!
I'm going to be deeply disappointed if there is not a mission in the inevitable expansion to T5 that has giant tropican spiders that attack like rebels do.

Gobblecoque posted:

I really wish there was an indication of what the "vicinity" of a building is.
Seconded.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I found a blog that has quite a few guides about this game already while searching google for Vehicle Factory output. There is a guide that breaks down industry by ROI and includes number of workers.

http://www.gameplayinside.com/category/tropico-5/

http://www.gameplayinside.com/tropico-5/tropico-5-guide-which-industries-create-most-money/

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Simultaneous Soviet and Rebel invasions

This battle, uhhh... didn't go well

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Good Citizen posted:

This battle, uhhh... didn't go well

That's just a question of perspective, comrade.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

FrozenVent posted:

That's just a question of perspective, comrade.

I kind of wonder if they turned on each other after destroying half of my island and taking over, or if they put aside their differences for the good of the people. Did Penultimo make it out alive?

I need some closure here

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Good Citizen posted:

Simultaneous Soviet and Rebel invasions

I hear you, though my problem was slightly opposite. I only had one invasion and I was wiping the floor with it... but their only unit left--a single lovely infantry--managed to overpower my tanks because they weren't attack him and then destroy the last targeted building. It was considered a defeat even though my giant army was about twenty seconds away :downs:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

Unfortunately that leaves it to the mercy of the teamsters. Personally I like to keep the old ranches. Tropico is for free range animals, free range crops and limited free range tropicans.

The real communist propaganda in Tropico is that the teamsters have more power than el Presidente.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

My island has a hill near my city which is accessible through two paths, one on the west side and one on the east side (also one to the south) but the middle is a cliff overlooking Presidenteville. I've had squads moving right down the middle of the hill and get stuck at the cliff every single time they have been up there. The first time was after beating some axis invaders (they were cranky and went furious when I kicked them out of the embassy when I had to demolish it because I'd placed it facing the wrong direction). Two squads were stuck on top of the cliff moving to the edge and then backing off a short distance (about two squares) before heading back it. Eventually the pathfinding gave up and teleported them to the base of the cliff. The only reason the fighting got up there was a single axis squad who targeted a ranch. It did bump into three of my squads on the way to the cliff and while the enemy troop stopped to fire my own just walked on by completely ignoring being shot at and a few of them dying.

The second time was during an uprising and it was an angry mob who get trapped. On one hand it was a good target for my carrier jets but on the other the minor movement it constantly did was enough to make them evade most damage before the teleport kicked in.

:ughh:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've found to generally not at all depend on the military for defence, all towers. I'll have a couple bases just to provide a little support, but if your towers can't handle an attack the pathfinding has a good chance of loving you.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
The AI for military is pretty annoying at times:

Look at this poo poo. A single pirate squad invaded and they're completely ignoring my guard towers in order to try to get at a plantation that's super far away. The worst thing is that all my squads aren't going to fight the pirates but they're going to the targeted plantation to wait for them.

Edit: I'd probably use towers more if they didn't always look so out of place. I'm really amazed they didn't have it update to some modern tower look like you see in the barracks and army bases once you get out of the colonial era.

Edit 2: I wish the game autosaved more often or allowed you to adjust how often the game autosaved, because Tropico 5 crashes a bit too often (and of course it always crashes when I haven't saved for a good while).

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 4, 2014

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Gobblecoque posted:

The AI for military is pretty annoying at times:

Look at this poo poo. A single pirate squad invaded and they're completely ignoring my guard towers in order to try to get at a plantation that's super far away. The worst thing is that all my squads aren't going to fight the pirates but they're going to the targeted plantation to wait for them.

Edit: I'd probably use towers more if they didn't always look so out of place. I'm really amazed they didn't have it update to some modern tower look like you see in the barracks and army bases once you get out of the colonial era.

Yeah something that looks like the guard tower from previous tropicos would be appropriate. The whole military system is sort of poo poo. They wanted to not give us control so the game wouldn't "become an RTS" but all they've done is made a lovely combat rts that we can't control, just have to watch. The gameplay is happening, we just have no control over it. If we could order squads around or set waypoints or anything it wouldn't be a bad system.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Do people no longer become rebels and go live in the jungle and then attack you? I have a 74% approval rating and 0 rebels, banish a few crime lords, and suddenly there is a riot and 40 rebels assaulting my town.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Decrepus posted:

Do people no longer become rebels and go live in the jungle and then attack you? I have a 74% approval rating and 0 rebels, banish a few crime lords, and suddenly there is a riot and 40 rebels assaulting my town.

That would be your hidden "unrest" meter. Generate too much unrest from banishing/killing people(even if they deserve it) and a huge revolt happens. There is no way to actually tell how close you are to this, and there is no safe way to deal with crime lords.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Khisanth Magus posted:

That would be your hidden "unrest" meter. Generate too much unrest from banishing/killing people(even if they deserve it) and a huge revolt happens. There is no way to actually tell how close you are to this, and there is no safe way to deal with crime lords.

You need to take the constitution option that eliminates revolts, then you can oppress to your hearts content.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Khisanth Magus posted:

It's not hidden, it's in your almanac under "Unrest".

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Khisanth Magus posted:

Your unrest meter is displayed on the politics page in your almanac. Also Penultimo senior will likely go Great giant tropical spiders Presidente! and warn you if it goes too high. He won't always however.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I had a 92% approval rating. 6 rebels attack. I offer amnesty with 95% approval and no faction below good standing. 12 rebels attack. I think it's just hard coded to generate rebels if you don't have democracy.

My biggest pet peve is having like 18 unemployed illiterates and 20 open jobs for illiterates. You can either be poor on social security or well off with a job. There isn't a single poor paying job on the island. :rant:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I prefer to run totalitarian so elections are rarer and I can cheat more if I would ever be in a position to need it. Low approval before election? What election? Not really any rebels unless I banish too many criminals. But I've only played on average political difficulty so far.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

What's the most solid way to reduce unrest? I can't seem to figure it out, I've tried appeasing the different factions, different constitutional traits, offering amnesty, and yet I still have to fight off annoying rebel attacks.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah being a democracy is pretty overpowered in terms of your capacity to banish crime lords, so long as your approval across all groups (not just voters depending on what you have selected) is high. Still can't indiscriminately gun down every rebel in the street, sadly.

Sardonik posted:

What's the most solid way to reduce unrest? I can't seem to figure it out, I've tried appeasing the different factions, different constitutional traits, offering amnesty, and yet I still have to fight off annoying rebel attacks.

Not using banish/assassinate too much and make sure none of your measures of happiness gets too low.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

You don't necessarily get rebels from unrest. You get uprisings from unrest, much nastier.

I just kind of leave Crime Lords alone unless they're Filthy rich.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Doesn't Democracy fully negate uprisings, though?

That does beg the question what negative impact Crime Lords have on your island, though. Do they contribute to Corruption? Raise crime in their home area? The game is pretty ambiguous about them. Maybe the tutorial explains it, I skipped that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

For the record, it's possible to beat back an uprising. It's not easy but it can be done. If you're lucky. And have a shitton of military.

I bombed the assholes.

• Locked thread