Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I feel all the theorycraft always hinges on the enemy going AI as soon as you kick someone's rear end once or twice and then storming an empty AI capitol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadotto
Oct 25, 2010

Body of a Penguin
Soul of a Hero
Mind of a Lazy, Easily Distracted, Waste of Space

GET HYPE:

"That Illwinter Guy" posted:

2014-06-02 16:14:54 +0200
Version 4.06d

2014-06-02 13:32:42 +0200
Merge branch 'master' of /home/jk/gitrepos/dom4

2014-06-02 13:32:11 +0200
Event checks

2014-06-01 18:47:30 +0200
Merge branch 'master' of ssh://jaffa.illwinter.com/home/jk/gitrepos/dom4

2014-06-01 18:41:46 +0200
Battle log details for Ethereal, luck, etc.
Items can be unique
New Ragha item: Crown of the Shah
Poison from poison dagger ignored etherealness
Ragha sprites and units
More descriptions for Ragha and their summons
Improved spell info for some spells
Lance now before second weapon
Population capped at 300000
Vine Bow now has on hit effect instead of on damage

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Is this actually adding Ragha to the game then?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

I Love You! posted:

C'tis troops aren't terrible at all. They have perfectly serviceable line infantry, good slave infantry, and can be throwing down solid amounts of skeletons at enchant 3 - enough to hold back the tide of Ulm just fine.
Steel Maidens wreck most line infantry (and morale 9, straight 10 defence line infantry at that), slaves and skeletons ever, especially when they're Strength 15 easily within the first year, even with a dormant/imprisoned pretender. I'm not even sure how you want to argue about that, because it's just true.

Ulm is really good at fighting early on. That is a thing it does. It's probably a big part of the reason it's in the top picks, along with "Conans are very understandable and I think they're cool".

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Cerebulon posted:

I'm playing as Asphodel in a multiplayer game and for the last five or so turns my upkeep has tipped above my income since everybody's dying all the time. I had a growth dominion in an attempt to counteract it, but the throne of death + constant plagues from year 1 onwards have completely nullified that.
I'm one turn from bankruptcy, is there anything I can do? If I run out of cash am I effectively finished, or will I just not be able to buy anything?
I need to hold out for another few months so I can ravage my enemies with rituals. They can come with their armies and their riches but they're frail and short-lived and I'm practically immortal.

Something nobody mentioned that you might want to try and do in future is casting transformation with your pans, to turn them into animals that don't cost upkeep.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

jBrereton posted:

Ulm is really good at fighting early on. That is a thing it does. It's probably a big part of the reason it's in the top picks, along with "Conans are very understandable and I think they're cool".

Considering that EA Ulm is Conans it makes sense that they'd have some super awesome infantry for hitting things.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical
New mod available here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5jpjt7ny969kj0o/LAPyth.dm

I think LA Pythium is pretty lovely as things currently stand, so this is my attempt to rectify it. Please feel free to appropriate all or part of it into another mod. This is a work in progress, so please provide feedback!

There is work to be done yet, I'll detail my plan after I list what I've done so far.

Changelog:
Due to cold blooded units made heat preference 1.

All the mystery cultists have been improved in some way.
Leo: F1 with a 20% FSN pick. Given innate fire shield and a fire brand as a gift from his god.
Heliodromus: F2 with a 20% FSN pick.

Epoptes: N1E1 with a 20% EN pick.
Mystes: N1 with a 20% EN pick. Research penalty removed as they don't spend time evangelizing.

Reveler: N1 with a 20% B pick. Stealthy!

I've also boosted a couple of regular commanders
Serpent Priest: given an extra D path.
Serpent Assassin: made non cap only, and is now a H1 priest.
Serpent Acolyte: given a 100% WSND pick, to mirror other state priests.
Theurg: now A1S1 100%AWS

New national spell, summon sacred horned serpents. Just like the lovely conj 2 summon, except they're sacred. This may be questionable

TODO:
recruit as many hydras as you can afford.
Make sacred fire snake summon, and sacred lamias, both of these also questionable!
Add high level Conj/blood summons to get the Solar Bull, Great Mother, King Reveler or whatever he should be called.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm not great enough at this game to tell probably, but free fire brands sounds a little unbalanced.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

I signed up for the GGS with the username Defeatist Elitist. Posting to confirm goonhood.

Also, as far as game joining etiquette goes, if I've played a few multiplayer games with some friends who bought the game with me, should I join newbie games or normal games? I assume real games would have a disclaimer if they didn't want terrible new players joining them, but I figured I'd ask to see what the threshold is.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

The Sharmat posted:

I'm not great enough at this game to tell probably, but free fire brands sounds a little unbalanced.

Keep in mind that this is a fire brand on a normal human, not a giant, a demon, or some undead critter; fire brands are correspondingly worth quite a bit less in their hands. Still strong, definitely a choice as to whether or not to recruit them, but not a no-brainer to recruit. This is especially true because standard dominions tactics involve hiding squishy generals behind troops, not throwing them on the front lines.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Yeah fire brand and fire shield are nice but they're still going to die to an errant arrow or if they get swarmed so if nothing else id want them as the last ones to engage unless they get a lucky roll for the awe trait from HoF.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Those dudes sound like they would be funny to build a bless/shroud strat around. n9w4d4 or something silly.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
My main feedback is that you hosed up somewhere on the recruitment table, because you can't recruit Serpent Assassins at all now.

They're also not Heat Preference 1, and the mod coding is all squashed together so it's impossible to see what else is wrong.

Some of it's working, though, and your goal is a noble one, so all the best with it!

Barono
May 6, 2007

jBrereton posted:

My main feedback is that you hosed up somewhere on the recruitment table, because you can't recruit Serpent Assassins at all now.

They're also not Heat Preference 1, and the mod coding is all squashed together so it's impossible to see what else is wrong.

Some of it's working, though, and your goal is a noble one, so all the best with it!

Son of a bitch, pretty sure that is a version control issue. I'll fix that this evening.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Barono posted:

Son of a bitch, pretty sure that is a version control issue. I'll fix that this evening.
Not sure what it is, but it's easy to fix.

Made a version with clearer scripting, exact same changes, also made no reclimit Hydras, sorted out the Leo (had no F1) and Serpent Assassin guy - http://www.mediafire.com/view/7o4xf7gdeg5fike/LAPyth-Clarity.dm

One other thing I might change for Pythium if you want to improve them would be giving their Centurion a poison-resistant #prophetshape. Maybe give him a hydra-shaped hat or something to go with, I dunno.

Barono
May 6, 2007

jBrereton posted:

Not sure what it is, but it's easy to fix.

Made a version with clearer scripting, exact same changes, also made no reclimit Hydras, sorted out the Leo (had no F1) and Serpent Assassin guy - http://www.mediafire.com/view/7o4xf7gdeg5fike/LAPyth-Clarity.dm

One other thing I might change for Pythium if you want to improve them would be giving their Centurion a poison-resistant #prophetshape. Maybe give him a hydra-shaped hat or something to go with, I dunno.

Yeah, when I said version control, I meant that I had two versions of it, the broken one I posted, and the fixed one in a different place :P

That being said, I'll definitely fix everything else you added.

Another change I made is giving the starting army the fancy commander. I figure you'll never actually pay for one, so might as well get one for free.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Barono posted:

Yeah, when I said version control, I meant that I had two versions of it, the broken one I posted, and the fixed one in a different place :P

So when you said version control you in fact meant version neglect.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Neruz posted:

So when you said version control you in fact meant version neglect.

That's a subset of version control issues!

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Barono posted:

Another change I made is giving the starting army the fancy commander. I figure you'll never actually pay for one, so might as well get one for free.
Yeah thinking about it, my guys did seem to have (even) better morale than normal. That explains it. Good changes, by the way.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
It'd be neat if nations started off with a unique powerful hero commander instead of some generic guy and a scout.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Some mod nations do, notably Muspelheim. I quite like the Some Guy And A Scout mechanic, means picking an SC is remotely worthwhile ever.

@Pythium Chat - Solar Bull had best be one of the last real Abysians :colbert:

Barono
May 6, 2007

Neruz posted:

It'd be neat if nations started off with a unique powerful hero commander instead of some generic guy and a scout.

I think TheDemon was planning that for his big mod, but doing it for one kinda means doing it for all in the era.

jBrereton posted:

Yeah thinking about it, my guys did seem to have (even) better morale than normal. That explains it. Good changes, by the way.

Thanks! I still don't know if the sacred summons are overpowered but I'm reasonably happy with everything else.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the mystery cult god summons. Probably try to make them summonable by one of their followers with good picks and some boosters and *maybe* an empowerment or two. Probably shoot for desirable, without being awesomemod desirable.

For the Solar Bull I was thinking just copying the big bull pretender and giving it some quantity of FSN magic and heretic 5. Probably something more exciting I could do here.

Same deal with the great mother, except EN magic.

Don't know what to do with the reveler yet, or even whether to put him in conjuration or blood. Maybe summon a bunch of satyrs and maenads every turn. Probably cause a lot of turmoil.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Have the Solar Bull autocast that battle spell that blinds dudes. Solar Brilliance or whatever.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Neruz posted:

Have the Solar Bull autocast that battle spell that blinds dudes. Solar Brilliance or whatever.

A good idea, although I think heat from hell may be better. Provides some synergy with his followers who all have some fire resistance.

Could also have him raise order (militaristic) and heat in his province, the mother raise growth, and the reveler turmoil and sloth.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Apparently Heat from Hell actually completely ignores Fire Resist so I'd test that first to see if that is in fact the case before doing it.

The reveler is also probably a Lord of the Wild Pretender Chassis (or perhaps an enterprising Pan) and should definitely spawn Maenads.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

jBrereton posted:

Some mod nations do, notably Muspelheim. I quite like the Some Guy And A Scout mechanic, means picking an SC is remotely worthwhile ever.

@Pythium Chat - Solar Bull had best be one of the last real Abysians :colbert:

I keep forgetting to go back to Muspelheim and put out a version that's just some guy and a scout. But there's definitely design space for more varied starting commanders in more divergent mods. Doesn't have to be an SC, researchers, priests, chassis that need gear, out-of-nation paths, are all handy.

e: One thing I put into the unreleased latest version of DE for Dom3 was an evolving library for LA Man. At first it would just be a handful of RP, but it would gain summons or gem incomes or paths or poo poo tons of RP depending on the stages it had been evolved to. Just as an example.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 5, 2014

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Neruz posted:

I've wondered sometimes about having at least one hero guaranteed in the first year (exact date modified by luck scales). It would be far beyond the reach of modding. If each nation had three good, different heroes that could show up, it would really spice up playing the same nation again and again.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
I bring you folks vengefulwater.jpg (just kidding it's like 5 of them)

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

TheDemon posted:

e: One thing I put into the unreleased latest version of DE for Dom3 was an evolving library for LA Man. At first it would just be a handful of RP, but it would gain summons or gem incomes or paths or poo poo tons of RP depending on the stages it had been evolved to. Just as an example.
I guess that worked by a bunch of summoning/transformation H4+ some path spells? Good idea.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

I Love You! posted:

vengefulwater.jpg
good to note that that the message log loses steam after too many conflicts and no longer successfully tracks assassination attempts. Also, independent uprisings such as Cult of Gaia attacks (which happen after assassinations) cannot be viewed at that point, either

the battle summaries show no results, and attempting to View Battle on one will crash Dom4

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Yeah, VW might need a nerf. But who am I to judge. :v:

I mean a need in the way the attacks are coded, not just in level and cost.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
If you aren't showing this poo poo to IW you should.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

jBrereton posted:

If you aren't showing this poo poo to IW you should.

We have dominion over 199 provinces out of 240 and are close to domkilling the game. It's not really overpowered at this point, it's mostly just silly. There are also 2 world/story events spawning demons and cult of gaia everywhere, dramatically inflating the number of targets.

Vengeful waters owns but this is more of a demonstration than anything

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

I Love You! posted:

We have dominion over 199 provinces out of 240 and are close to domkilling the game. It's not really overpowered at this point, it's mostly just silly. There are also 2 world/story events spawning demons and cult of gaia everywhere, dramatically inflating the number of targets.

Vengeful waters owns but this is more of a demonstration than anything
Still, if it's breaking the entire game in terms of not being able to open battle reports and stuff, you really should send them a report.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

jBrereton posted:

Still, if it's breaking the entire game in terms of not being able to open battle reports and stuff, you really should send them a report.

I've seen it reach the battle report limit before without vengeful being up. It's got to be a known thing by now and it's quite possible to reach the limit in disciples games or large FFAs.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
They've already increased the message limit once, so it's a thing they have at least peripheral awareness of. I'd still pop into the bug thread on Desura and make a report anyway.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Whiny as heck, but lemme just say having your cap seiged by trolls in the early game sucks and negates all your income.

M_Bison
Mar 15, 2014

amuayse posted:

Whiny as heck, but lemme just say having your cap seiged by trolls in the early game sucks and negates all your income.

"You should totally go misfortune 2 Order 3, your income will be a lot higher than with luck!"

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

M_Bison posted:

"You should totally go misfortune 2 Order 3, your income will be a lot higher than with luck!"

This is why I go to drain if I want a dumping stat. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Is turmoil and luck not a good thing to do anymore? Was it ever that good? Do goons play with that setting that limits the number of random events per turn turned on?

• Locked thread