Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Hummingbirds posted:

When I did that both parties met at the DMV and signed over the title, presumably under the supervision of a notary. Been awhile so I don't quite remember. I know I was able to get my new tag at the same time though, which was nice.

Yeah, doing it at the local DMV is always the best option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is there an HDTV megathread around here anymore? Cuz I'm not seeing one and I got a real dumb question.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Is there an HDTV megathread around here anymore? Cuz I'm not seeing one and I got a real dumb question.

Here.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Thank you and sorry for ruining the thread with stupid SA thread questions again. :(

(maybe if we had a working drat search function...... RADIUM :argh:)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yeah, doing it at the local DMV is always the best option.

All of these sound... really inconvenient.

In Illinois you just meet wherever the hell you like, and both parties sign an agreement of sale, which is usually about three sentences long and copy-pasted from a google search for "sample car sale contract". (I have never personally heard of one of these contracts actually needing to be shown to anyone else for any reason, but I suppose they exist for situations like "I sold that car to Joe Blow two months before it was used in that liquor store robbery".) Then it's all on the buyer to take the title to the DMV as soon as humanly possible to set up things like the plates and registration.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Powered Descent posted:

All of these sound... really inconvenient.

In Illinois you just meet wherever the hell you like, and both parties sign an agreement of sale, which is usually about three sentences long and copy-pasted from a google search for "sample car sale contract". (I have never personally heard of one of these contracts actually needing to be shown to anyone else for any reason, but I suppose they exist for situations like "I sold that car to Joe Blow two months before it was used in that liquor store robbery".) Then it's all on the buyer to take the title to the DMV as soon as humanly possible to set up things like the plates and registration.

The thing is if you show up at the DMV and do it there, there can be absolutely no allegations of improper procedure. You also have several qualified witnesses on hand who can notarize anything that needs notarization. This is especially useful if any party involved is not sure of what they need to do in the process, as the DMV workers are required to help you out.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Nintendo Kid posted:

The thing is if you show up at the DMV and do it there, there can be absolutely no allegations of improper procedure. You also have several qualified witnesses on hand who can notarize anything that needs notarization. This is especially useful if any party involved is not sure of what they need to do in the process, as the DMV workers are required to help you out.

I suppose that makes sense, but I've never even heard of someone wanting a notary present when buying or selling a car. Maybe it's a state-by-state thing, or maybe I'm just sheltered. v:shobon:v

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

yoohoo posted:

I dropped my ballpoint pen (Pilot G2 FTW) earlier and it hit my shirt, leaving a nice stray mark. I immediately tried to rub it out with a dry cloth but the damage had been done. What's the easiest home remedy to take this stain out? If a dry cleaner can do it I need to take the shirt there anyways, but otherwise I just moved into a dorm and laundry is still a few days away.

You can get stain remover specifically for ink at hardware or home goods stores, but I would start by trying clear hand sanitizer, which usually works. Gloop some clear gel hand sanitizer on the stain, let it sit for a bit, then run the hottest water that's okay for the shirt (per label directions) over it. You can also scrub a bit with an old toothbrush to lift the stain.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

AlbieQuirky posted:

You can get stain remover specifically for ink at hardware or home goods stores, but I would start by trying clear hand sanitizer, which usually works. Gloop some clear gel hand sanitizer on the stain, let it sit for a bit, then run the hottest water that's okay for the shirt (per label directions) over it. You can also scrub a bit with an old toothbrush to lift the stain.

It's the iso alcohol that works on the stain, so you could try that if you don't have sanitizer.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

the posted:

Are there any good Yoga sessions on youtube for manly guys like me who are new to that sort of thing but think a stretching routine would be good for their health?

This is pretty close to what I've experienced in actual classes, albeit rather slow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ6NfFIr2jw

You can also check out some poses and make a sequence to run through. The folks in YLLS yoga thread might have some better suggestions too!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Powered Descent posted:

I suppose that makes sense, but I've never even heard of someone wanting a notary present when buying or selling a car. Maybe it's a state-by-state thing, or maybe I'm just sheltered. v:shobon:v

Well I mean, if it's someone you know and can trust you don't need that, but if you're selling to some sketchy guys you found off craigslist you're going to want to have it done in public at a government office because there's risk factors involved.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

I have bought and sold several used cars, and have only ever used this method. I know people go to the DMV, but they are people who believe you will get robbed or swindled when you buy/sell a used car. They also don't go to Mexico, because they don't want to lose a kidney.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
How come nobody has come up with a chewable that cleans humans teeth like the ones available for dogs?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

b0nes posted:

How come nobody has come up with a chewable that cleans humans teeth like the ones available for dogs?

Chewing gums with Xylitol claim to clean your teeth as you chew

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It should be noted that people expect dog's breath to stink.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
A lot of people slip into present tense when telling anecdotes. Is there a word for this behaviour?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

tuyop posted:

A lot of people slip into present tense when telling anecdotes. Is there a word for this behaviour?

historical/narrative/dramatic present

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I have a question about Excel. I've got a column of data with numbers ranging from 8-99. What I'd like to do is use each cell's value to grab a number from a different column. If A23 holds the number 12, I want to be able to refer to cell J[number in A23], or J12. Is there a way to do this? I know this could be done with Python, Fortran, or any other programming language of choice, I'm just using Excel right now so I'd like to continue using it if possible.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I bought an external battery pack and it failed on me after 3 months use. I wrote the company and after troubleshooting they sent me another one. 3 months later it failed again. Will they give me poo poo for telling me about it?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Grundulum posted:

I have a question about Excel. I've got a column of data with numbers ranging from 8-99. What I'd like to do is use each cell's value to grab a number from a different column. If A23 holds the number 12, I want to be able to refer to cell J[number in A23], or J12. Is there a way to do this? I know this could be done with Python, Fortran, or any other programming language of choice, I'm just using Excel right now so I'd like to continue using it if possible.

I don't think its possible to do that in excel. What can can do is something like =VLOOKUP(<lookup value>,<table>,<column number>,FALSE). If you have the <lookup value> as cell A23, it will look at the first column of <table> for the number 12, then return the value of the cell <column number> to the right of where it finds 12.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

b0nes posted:

I bought an external battery pack and it failed on me after 3 months use. I wrote the company and after troubleshooting they sent me another one. 3 months later it failed again. Will they give me poo poo for telling me about it?

What? Just get a new one from the company. Who cares if they "give you poo poo"?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

b0nes posted:

Because we have toothbrushes?

Grundulum posted:

You can do this in 5 minutes in Python.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

tuyop posted:

What? Just get a new one from the company. Who cares if they "give you poo poo"?
See if you can't wrangle an upgrade while you're at it.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Xenoborg posted:

I don't think its possible to do that in excel. What can can do is something like =VLOOKUP(<lookup value>,<table>,<column number>,FALSE). If you have the <lookup value> as cell A23, it will look at the first column of <table> for the number 12, then return the value of the cell <column number> to the right of where it finds 12.

Thanks. I was hoping there was some neat trick I hadn't heard about yet to pull the value from a cell for use in an identifier. Guess it's time for plan B:

Grundulum posted:

I know this could be done with Python, Fortran, or any other programming language of choice, I'm just using Excel right now so I'd like to continue using it if possible.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Grundulum posted:

You want the =indirect() function. In your specific example, =indirect("J"&A23) will return the value in cell J12.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

randyest posted:

You want the =indirect() function. In your specific example, =indirect("J"&A23) will return the value in cell J12.

I stand corrected. Also I am legitimately excited to learn and use this.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Xenoborg posted:

In my experience, the general rule of thumb is that if you have a need for a function, it exists in Excel. If you think it doesn't, you are probably wrong.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Thanatosian posted:

In my experience, the general rule of thumb is that if you have a need for a function, it exists in Excel. If you think it doesn't, you are probably wrong.

I had to learn that the hard way. I basically rewrote the function library in excel with vba/macros when I started with it until some guy was like: "Dude, why are you doing this? Just go here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/excel-functions-by-category-HP010342656.aspx "

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Xenoborg posted:

The same function can be used to reference worksheet names or even xls filenames from variables. (The files/sheets must be open though.)

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I seem to remember a while ago (maybe a year or two) that there was a crazy dictator or military general who had been driven out by rebels, threatening to send giant demon bats to devour them if they continued their uprising. I'm wondering whether I actually am remembering this or I just had a crazy dream. Does anyone know?

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

CrazySalamander posted:

I seem to remember a while ago (maybe a year or two) that there was a crazy dictator or military general who had been driven out by rebels, threatening to send giant demon bats to devour them if they continued their uprising. I'm wondering whether I actually am remembering this or I just had a crazy dream. Does anyone know?

Googling 'Giant bat demon dictatator', lead to a wikipedia article about the Popobawa, which is basically a giant bat demon creature some people in Tanzania believe in.

Considering that people who live in Tanzania have a tendency to revolt during disputed elections, and a widespread belief in witchcraft, it is probable that some revolutionary might have threatened to summon demons against his political opponents.

That doesn't necessarily mean he had any real power, he could have just been some crazy guy with a jeep, an AK-47, and a CB radio talking gibberish.

So it seems probable that you just heard an obscure world news story.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jun 5, 2014

infrared35
Jan 13, 2005

Plaster Town Cop
I have a mosquito problem. We've apparently had a huge hatch after a long winter and short but very rainy spring. I don't really care about the ones outside; it's the ones inside that are driving me crazy.

At first it was just a handful of them. No big deal, just killed them by hand or with the Bug-A-Salt. Then the next day there were a couple dozen of them. It looked to me like they might be coming in through a bathroom vent. so as a temporary measure I taped a plastic sheet over it to seal it off. The next day there were countless mosquitoes. The wife and I stopped counting at over a hundred confirmed kills each with our hands, and the Bug-A-Salt probably took as many as we did, since I had to refill the salt reservoir three times (over the course of a few hours). But the mosquitoes kept coming. It was almost as if they were being fed into the house about one every thirty seconds. If I sat there, I could kill a couple a minute (in fact they often seem to appear in pairs). If I stopped, or tried to sleep for a few minutes, there'd be five or six or ten of the things waiting for me. Consequently, I've probably gotten about fifteen minutes of sleep in the last two days.

Bug spray only works for so long. I've put saucers of dish soap out but that hasn't done anything so far. I don't know if they're getting in from the outside or if they hatched somewhere in the house. There's no standing water in the house that I can think of; all faucets and drains are used on a regular basis. All the windows appear to be sealed fine and screens are all intact. I plan on getting some lawn spray for the yard, but they seem worse inside the house than outside right now.

What can I do to stop this menace?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

infrared35 posted:

I have a mosquito problem.

Get a couple of bug bombs and kill the bastards.

Do you have an attic or basement water might be collecting in? There must be a pool of standing water somewhere. I think some bugs can also lay eggs in the drains of sinks since they get water pretty regularly, but don't quote me on that.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

infrared35 posted:

I have a mosquito problem. We've apparently had a huge hatch after a long winter and short but very rainy spring. I don't really care about the ones outside; it's the ones inside that are driving me crazy.

At first it was just a handful of them. No big deal, just killed them by hand or with the Bug-A-Salt. Then the next day there were a couple dozen of them. It looked to me like they might be coming in through a bathroom vent. so as a temporary measure I taped a plastic sheet over it to seal it off. The next day there were countless mosquitoes. The wife and I stopped counting at over a hundred confirmed kills each with our hands, and the Bug-A-Salt probably took as many as we did, since I had to refill the salt reservoir three times (over the course of a few hours). But the mosquitoes kept coming. It was almost as if they were being fed into the house about one every thirty seconds. If I sat there, I could kill a couple a minute (in fact they often seem to appear in pairs). If I stopped, or tried to sleep for a few minutes, there'd be five or six or ten of the things waiting for me. Consequently, I've probably gotten about fifteen minutes of sleep in the last two days.

Bug spray only works for so long. I've put saucers of dish soap out but that hasn't done anything so far. I don't know if they're getting in from the outside or if they hatched somewhere in the house. There's no standing water in the house that I can think of; all faucets and drains are used on a regular basis. All the windows appear to be sealed fine and screens are all intact. I plan on getting some lawn spray for the yard, but they seem worse inside the house than outside right now.

What can I do to stop this menace?

Well the worst part is probably the sleep. Get a mosquito net for your bed.

Other than that, :stare: do you live in a yurt? Has this happened before?

infrared35
Jan 13, 2005

Plaster Town Cop

tuyop posted:

Well the worst part is probably the sleep. Get a mosquito net for your bed.

Other than that, :stare: do you live in a yurt? Has this happened before?

I bought the house last August so it's my first spring here. The house is about a hundred years old but it's reasonably well built and cared for.

I thought about a mosquito net and that would probably be the best solution... except for the cats. They're on and off the bed all night so they'd probably just end up shredding the net.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

In some states (definitely PA) you have no choice but to have a notary present. All title transfers have to be notarized. It's annoying.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

infrared35 posted:

I bought the house last August so it's my first spring here. The house is about a hundred years old but it's reasonably well built and cared for.

I thought about a mosquito net and that would probably be the best solution... except for the cats. They're on and off the bed all night so they'd probably just end up shredding the net.

Doesn't your bedroom have a door? loving pets...

infrared35
Jan 13, 2005

Plaster Town Cop

tuyop posted:

Doesn't your bedroom have a door? loving pets...

That would be great if I knew the mosquitoes were coming from somewhere other than the bedroom/master bath.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I just mean that you can get a night's sleep if you want by closing your bedroom door with the cats outside and putting a mosquito net over your bed. I'm sure there are many reasons why that's not ideal, but that's all I meant with the door thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infrared35
Jan 13, 2005

Plaster Town Cop

tuyop posted:

I just mean that you can get a night's sleep if you want by closing your bedroom door with the cats outside and putting a mosquito net over your bed. I'm sure there are many reasons why that's not ideal, but that's all I meant with the door thing.

Gotcha. The cat scratching at the door probably wouldn't keep me up like the mosquitoes do.

In related news, they seem to be following me around. I went into the kitchen and there weren't any to be seen. But five minutes into making breakfast, I had killed over a dozen of the things. I went into the living room, and same thing. Nothing there at first, but then a ton of them. Now I'm in my home office, and it's the same. Maybe one or two in here, but I just spent the last five minutes on a continual mosquito killing spree. As soon as I would kill one, two more would appear. And just when I think I'm done after smacking fifteen or twenty and I sit down to type, two or three more appear. :doom: