Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Burkion posted:

I really wish I paid more attention to the thread when Wizard was on.

I just aggressively, utterly, do not care about Wizard. I watched the first episode and saw absolutely NOTHING there for me, a void of entertainment or substance. The only hate I have is that the drat belt and the way he spammed it in the first episode gave me a headache.

Sorry, the first episode is about as good as it gets.

That's not true. Beelzebub is about as good as it gets. But on the whole, it goes downhill and never stops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Burkion posted:

And just because I haven't said it in a while- gently caress Jetman. gently caress it hardcore.

I like to watch shows sequentially when I can (currently watching Kuuga with plans to go through up to Kiva in order), you're one of the few people I've seen who didn't like Jetman. I was thinking about going with that or Sun Vulcan for my next Sentai, could you tell me a little about what you didn't like about it?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
People used to give OOOs a lot of poo poo for having a boring lead rider, but then Wizard happened and god drat did he topple Eiji as most boring rider.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Flameingblack posted:

People used to give OOOs a lot of poo poo for having a boring lead rider, but then Wizard happened and god drat did he topple Eiji as most boring rider.

Eiji might have been boring but at least the show had a strong supporting cast and interesting villains.

Wizard's supporting cast and villains are just...kind of there and never did anything ever.

Vandar fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 5, 2014

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Also Eiji being boring was arguably part of his character.
Haruto has no such excuse.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I like to watch shows sequentially when I can (currently watching Kuuga with plans to go through up to Kiva in order), you're one of the few people I've seen who didn't like Jetman. I was thinking about going with that or Sun Vulcan for my next Sentai, could you tell me a little about what you didn't like about it?

Let's get this out of the way right quick-this show was built up as the most serious, most dramatic, 'dark' Sentai I had ever heard of. This was the one that was the golden egg of the franchise, built up beyond compare. So when I finally tracked it down, I admit I might have been expecting too much.

But having come back to it, more than once, to try and finish watching it I can safely say that no, that's not the problem.

The heroes are worthless or worse. The Red Ranger is a non entity of a character with LESS personality than the heroes from the 80s, as he can't even bother to be hot blooded, and he's so brick stupid he can't recognize his dead fiancee in a fancy hat when her FACE IS TOTALLY EXPOSED. Yellow is just a joke of a character who gets nothing but abuse from the other members of the team the whole way through. Pink/White is utterly, totally, completely worthless. Her gimmick is to be dumb as hell, and I'm not exaggerating, sweet, kind, in love with the Red Ranger, have a thing for the Black Ranger, and otherwise be ineffectual and unable to protect herself what so ever. Compared to the badass lady warriors of prior shows, she is a massive failure and utterly insulting. Blue is an annoying little prick who started out with the shtick of I'm in it for the money and then she wasn't and now she's just there. Black is both the best and worst character of the bunch. On one hand, horribly sexist, an idiot with awful views, kind of a loser to a great degree, and he loves to assault the Pink Ranger and get creepily close to her and corner her in elevators. On the other, he's perpetually annoyed with everyone and everything so he's instantly the most relatable.

Basically all of the heroes are dysfunctional or worse, BORING. And ALL of them are incompetent. There was this big two parter where the Queen of the villains shows up to wreck poo poo and who saved the day? THE OTHER VILLAINS. Our heroes just get their asses kicked all across the park until they waltz in and save the day.

Speaking of the villains, this is my other big problem with the show. The main villains are a dude with face paint and a silly hat, but he's OK. A little kid who's super annoying. The fiancee of the Red Ranger who NO ONE RECOGNIZES. And some robot dude who was done better in RX. Super standard fair, nothing stands out.

The MOTW on the other hand are inexcusable. They, to a one, have lovely, awful costumes. Some of them are based on pretty cool ideas-but the look boring as all hell. They just have awful costumes that would look bad even for the 70s. Super simplistic grrr generic green monster bodies with stuff attached is how most of 'em come off.

But none of that would matter if the writing was good.

It is not.

The tone of the show is all over the goddamn place, with most of the episodes better suited to a parody of Sentai than a SUPER SERIOUS season-and the thing is, this isn't something where people claimed it was serious and just missed the point. The show TRIES to be serious-immediately after they had an episode about a vending machine that wackily swaps their personalities that is. But the drama of this show is straight up MELODRAMA. It's soap operay at best, and really poorly done. And there are so many comedy episodes that stuff like the giant ramen cup that dance and sang? That wasn't a stand out. THAT WAS THE NORM.

It is a total mess of a show, top to bottom.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Burkion posted:

Speaking of the villains... A little kid who's super annoying.

Coincidental name aside, he was my favorite.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I liked the robot who drank and smoked. Also, the OP and ED songs were great, but nothing in that write up is really off the mark. I really enjoyed Jetman regardless.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
The only things off were that the head villains were pretty great and Guy's sexism was too. I guess I'd say that the silly episodes weren't bad either with one wheelchair stopping exception. Know this, the series is melodrama, two of the characters get very little development and Pink can be annoying. There's still a lot to love about it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cliff Racer posted:

The only things off were that the head villains were pretty great and Guy's sexism was too. I guess I'd say that the silly episodes weren't bad either with one wheelchair stopping exception. Know this, the series is melodrama, two of the characters get very little development and Pink can be annoying. There's still a lot to love about it.

Eh I have nothing bad to say about the villains. Wish the Queen stuck around longer.

And Guy is a creeper when it comes to White/Pink. He literally hounds her every chance he gets and corners her in an elevator.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

mikeycp posted:

Also Eiji being boring was arguably part of his character.
Haruto has no such excuse.
Haruto would've been amazing if he was stage magician who's not above cheating in fights.

Basically what I'm saying is I want a Joseph Joestar-like Rider.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Perigryn posted:

Haruto would've been amazing if he was stage magician who's not above cheating in fights.

Basically what I'm saying is I want a Joseph Joestar-like Rider.

Wizard: Squandered potential all around.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

At least Wizard had pretty great suit designs, right? And some pretty good music? That's two good things we can say about it, right?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Agito is pretty bad but I just can't hate the G3 or that really great first episode.

I just can't.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dexie posted:

At least Wizard had pretty great suit designs, right? And some pretty good music? That's two good things we can say about it, right?

It also had some pretty neat stunts with Haruto's extremely showy style.

Sadly, that's pretty much all the good we can say about it. "Wasted potential" really is the best way to describe Wizard.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Agito is pretty bad but I just can't hate the G3 or that really great first episode.

I just can't.

Hikawa is one of my favourite Riders ever, and it's almost entirely because of how unique G3 is. No transforming whatsoever, he has to manually put on the armour, and no superpowers at all, just some pretty cool weaponry. It's the most realistic Rider ever in how it is nothing but powered armour with a silly design, and I love it so goddamn much even if it has an about zero win record before G3-X.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Dexie posted:

The music was actively terrible, including and ESPECIALLY the opening.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Wizard had the best belt, hands down.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Blaze Dragon posted:

It also had some pretty neat stunts with Haruto's extremely showy style.

Sadly, that's pretty much all the good we can say about it. "Wasted potential" really is the best way to describe Wizard.

Hikawa is one of my favourite Riders ever, and it's almost entirely because of how unique G3 is. No transforming whatsoever, he has to manually put on the armour, and no superpowers at all, just some pretty cool weaponry. It's the most realistic Rider ever in how it is nothing but powered armour with a silly design, and I love it so goddamn much even if it has an about zero win record before G3-X.

Its such a shame that all G3-X (and really most toku upgrades) did to the design was make it uglier.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Elfgames posted:

Wizard had the best belt, hands down.

I agree, the belt featured in episodes 53 and 54 is the best.

e: 52 and 53 rather

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jun 5, 2014

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Box of Bunnies posted:

:golfclap:

I'm so happy whenever he comes back.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
As much as I love shabadoobing to transform, the Wizard Driver is still not even the best belt in its own show because as far as I know it doesn't have any function like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FkpACJFrRU

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
It's always the best characters who get underdeveloped, anyway. Take Dairanger. Our team is composed of a generic team leader, a generic headstrong Goku-type dude, the generic pompadour punk with a heart of gold, a dapper hair stylist who knows drunken boxing, and a generic female one. Guess which is the only one who doesn't get a character arc dedicated to them :smith:

During the finale there's a point where the rangers get their strength back by recalling the things that are important to them that happened troughou the show. Poor Kazu's flashback is "that time I appeared in an episode dedicated to this other plot-relevant character".

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Aww, pink wasn't generic until Kou the bastard showed up and sucked all of her personality out to replace it with that of a whiny parent.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Burkion posted:

Eh I have nothing bad to say about the villains. Wish the Queen stuck around longer.

And Guy is a creeper when it comes to White/Pink. He literally hounds her every chance he gets and corners her in an elevator.

Inoue is also less than good about writing female characters. I don't know what it is about him but the ladies in most of the shows he penned exist to die or be helpless. Or help out and then die.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Box of Bunnies posted:

I hope he gets shoehorned into the end of Gaim, too. They need a good belt. Also,

:swoon: Tsukasa. :swoon:

Ahahaha. That's amazing. As much as I love Nitou, I thought he got a pretty weak belt. Even counting the Genesis Driver from Gaim I think the Beast Driver is the worst post-Decade secondary Rider belt.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Potsticker posted:

Ahahaha. That's amazing. As much as I love Nitou, I thought he got a pretty weak belt. Even counting the Genesis Driver from Gaim I think the Beast Driver is the worst post-Decade secondary Rider belt.

How can you think this? The Beast Driver is great, everything it says is so drat catchy, while at the same time being short enough to not get on my nerves (unlike the WizarDriver). L-I-O-N! LION!

Also Tsukasa was too good for his own series and I'm glad Toei seems to make an effort to bring him back occasionally (even if they did it horribly in Super Hero Taisen)

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

How can you think this? The Beast Driver is great, everything it says is so drat catchy, while at the same time being short enough to not get on my nerves (unlike the WizarDriver). L-I-O-N! LION!

Also Tsukasa was too good for his own series and I'm glad Toei seems to make an effort to bring him back occasionally (even if they did it horribly in Super Hero Taisen)

Because it's just a faceplate that opens up and-- that's it? I dunno. It looks kind of neat in a pro wrestling sort of way, but it's a pretty lame toy. Even the Genesis Driver at least has a faux-juicer that fills up with "energy."

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

The Beast Driver sounds like the announcer from Capcom vs. SNK 2 which means it's automatically fun.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Cyphoderus posted:

It's always the best characters who get underdeveloped, anyway. Take Dairanger. Our team is composed of a generic team leader, a generic headstrong Goku-type dude, the generic pompadour punk with a heart of gold, a dapper hair stylist who knows drunken boxing, and a generic female one. Guess which is the only one who doesn't get a character arc dedicated to them :smith:

I don't remember Daigo being anything like Goku at all. I also remember him solving the problem of being trapped inside an exploding monster by just punching his way out.

And I must be weird, because next to him Kou was probably my favorite member of the team.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
Have some 1991 Toei CGI, courtesy of Solbrain episode 12.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vkgtyr1cfrmxddv/[Bunny_Hat_Raw]Solbrain_CGI_(4D2449F8).mkv

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I'll be honest, the only Dairangers with any real personality were Kou, Lin and whoever the red ranger was again. You could have easily taken a blue-centric episode and given it to yellow without changing any of the showcase character's dialogue. The only thing that would be off about such a hypothetical switch-up is that each ranger had a specific side-character that existed mainly for them to play with so it wouldn't make sense for Yellow to be talking to Kujaku or whoever.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
One thing I want to know about Dairanger is why they had Ryou's first real focus episodes be what they were. That's something you hold off on, show, not lead with.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Box of Bunnies posted:

what? Decade's driver is ugly and has a stupid voice.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Elfgames posted:

You do not belong in this thread. :colbert:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Elfgames posted:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Elfgames posted:

Decade's driver rules.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

mikeycp posted:

Decade's driver rules.

The dude attached to it has a few issues, though.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
I don't honestly know how I feel about Decade's driver by itself because it's hard for me to seperate that from my opinion on the Decade suit (it's so ugly and I'm really not a fan of the way it does the card gimmick -- especially since Blade did it so much better already). I don't like Decade as a character but I CAN manage to seperate that from the suit/belt; I know because as much as I hated every single character in Den-O I still think it's one of the best suits.

Now, if you want to talk about great looking belts with great voices, there's always Faiz...

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Elfgames posted:

Same but for Decade himself.

Decade's a dumpster tier trash show for nonfunhavers :colbert:

The Black/RX bit was pretty cool as was the hibiki section. The rest was really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I dunno, Decade was a great intro to the series for me, it gave me a sampler of what the suits and monsters looked like and a general idea of what was going on in each show. From there, I could pick and choose what to watch/not depending (hint, it was all of them)

• Locked thread