Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

OH JESUS CHRIST that DLC video has a walking mass of those horrible Black Gulch enemies! NOOOOOO.

Also found this on a new run through:

Die inside the tower area after the Dragonrider, all your bloodstains are floating midair. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

RBA Starblade posted:

Is soul bolt worth using? I just got it for the first time after missing it in NG. Also man the LGK is way more fun when a squire shows up. He dressed up like a little version of him. A hand mirror knight. :v:

e: I am starting to think 6 mil SM might be a bit high for NG+. I do not see many summon signs now.
Soul Bolt is more or less White Dragon Breath. It's basically terrible, but it can deal good damage if you land the whole thing (you will generally never land most of the hits).

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I love being a rat I rat Pharros all the time while doing other things. I only fire the occasional arrow to encourage them to fight their way through my lair. I mostly put toxic mists and lingering flames in their way like traps. I like to lead them on a trap-filled chased to the last spot with the mastodon and have the big final showdown up there. I've fought rats too many times who did lightning spears and avelyns and it makes being kidnapped not a lot of fun and I try to make it fun so people will keep coming back.

If they wait on that ledge spot I jump down and do a fight too. I have a pretty good success rate with rat PvP even when my monsters aren't involved. Powerstanced bent blades are really nice even if the toxic doesn't go off. I don't know if I'm imagining it, but doing the powerstance L1 followed by the R1 and then the L1 combo again seems to hit a lot faster than two L1s in a row.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Earthen Peak is not OSHA compliant.

SynthOrange posted:

OH JESUS CHRIST that DLC video has a walking mass of those horrible Black Gulch enemies! NOOOOOO.

I love how out of all the things in that video, the goofy little bug monsters are what terrify people the most. Those statues just inspire dread instantly.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

I love how out of all the things in that video, the goofy little bug monsters are what terrify people the most. Those statues just inspire dread instantly.

Even though I'm able to run through it in less than a minute, and poison is cured by an easily farmed material, my thought process running through Black Gulch is still "Oh gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress oh jesus I'm poisoned aaaaaa"

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

Is soul bolt worth using? I just got it for the first time after missing it in NG. Also man the LGK is way more fun when a squire shows up. He dressed up like a little version of him. A hand mirror knight. :v:

e: I am starting to think 6 mil SM might be a bit high for NG+. I do not see many summon signs now.

Soul Bolt can pull off as much damage as Soul Geyser if you cast it point blank so the beam stays on the target through the entire animation, and it has more casts!

Also doing so is so slow it guarantees you're going to eat whatever monstrous attack the thing you'd want to bring soul-geyser level damage to bear on is capable of handing out.

Unless you have a phantom to distract for you!

And then the boss decides to pivot and smash you in the teeth anyway because phantoms can never keep their attention for long.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Two questions. I'm at SM 2.8M, should I be good for finding PVP and co op in NG+? I've just been tooling around helping people with bosses, picking up random things I missed, and dragon dueling. Summons are taking a lot longer recently which makes me feel like I'm over staying my welcome in ng.

Also, are the gains from percentages under 70 equip load really minimal? I've been trying to stay under 50(ideally 40) but if that's true then I could respec and take a lot of points out of vitality and spend them on vigor and endurance.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Control Volume posted:

Even though I'm able to run through it in less than a minute, and poison is cured by an easily farmed material, my thought process running through Black Gulch is still "Oh gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress oh jesus I'm poisoned aaaaaa"

I know right? gently caress YOU POISON.

Though all will be forgiven if they let me wield or wear those statues somehow. :v:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The worst part about those statues isn't even the poison, it's the fact that they could poise-break God himself.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

I know right? gently caress YOU POISON.

Though all will be forgiven if they let me wield or wear those statues somehow. :v:

Hmm yes, I would forgive From for all their mistakes, and all future mistakes, if I could wear the statues as fists.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

And they invariably headshot you making you stagger backwards like an idiot for two seconds. OK I GET IT JUST LET ME MOVE AGAIN.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Control Volume posted:

Hmm yes, I would forgive From for all their mistakes, and all future mistakes, if I could wear the statues as fists.

Can you use chameleon to turn into one? Could you then put on the moon butterfly outfit and be patient?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Can you use chameleon to turn into one? Could you then put on the moon butterfly outfit and be patient?

If you're in the Gulch (and I assume Doors of Pharros) then yes. Like all Chameleon disguises it looks noticeably different from the real ones, but most people are really dumb and don't notice anyway. Tho they probably would if they started to see their poison gauge go up slowly.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Poison talisman, like chameleon but now you can spit poison as a statue

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Bob NewSCART posted:

Also, are the gains from percentages under 70 equip load really minimal? I've been trying to stay under 50(ideally 40) but if that's true then I could respec and take a lot of points out of vitality and spend them on vigor and endurance.

The amount of invincibility frames your roll gets, which could be considered the most important part, stays exactly the same. All you get by decreasing your equip load downwards is the distance your roll actually takes you, and it's not even a noticeable difference unless you're comparing something like 69% versus 30%.

Which can be handy in clearing some space between you and enemies, I guess, but it's not a difference that's going to completely change your playstyle between 50%-70%.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

You get faster stamina regen too, but that only really matters in pvp and even then only if you know how to push a stamina advantage.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Cowcaster posted:

The amount of invincibility frames your roll gets, which could be considered the most important part, stays exactly the same. All you get by decreasing your equip load downwards is the distance your roll actually takes you.

Which can be handy in clearing some space between you and enemies, I guess, but it's not a difference that's going to completely change your playstyle between 50%-70%.

Doesn't it affect your movement speed, Stam regen and maybe roll speed(?) as well?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Bob NewSCART posted:

Doesn't it affect your movement speed, Stam regen and maybe roll speed(?) as well?

Nope, yep!, nope.

Fall damage though! It affects fall damage.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Okay, thanks guys. Anyone know enough about the sm matchmaking to answer my other question?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I haven't read anything about increased move speed. But the way it increases roll distance and stamina regen means the biggest difference is at 50% equip weight (your rolling distance goes from 65% to 80% there). So just adjust your weapons and rings until you can play fashion souls at under 50% or under 70% weight.

This will tell you how much range you can get to at your soul memory. At 2.8 million you can summon at up to 5 million.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jun 5, 2014

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Bob NewSCART posted:

Okay, thanks guys. Anyone know enough about the sm matchmaking to answer my other question?

You're fine at 2.8m. Once you hit NG+, your multiplayer pool is opened to everyone on any level of NG+ (with the usual soul memory restrictions). I'm at 4.4 million and still going strong with invasions and summons, and someone up the page mentioned that people at 6 million shouldn't even be having a problem either.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Does this apply to invasions as well? Can you invade people in NG+ while only being in NG, or do you have to move up to NG+ for it to work?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Internet Kraken posted:

Does this apply to invasions as well? Can you invade people in NG+ while only being in NG, or do you have to move up to NG+ for it to work?
You have to move into NG+ to invade NG+ people.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Internet Kraken posted:

As far as I know, NG people are in their own little world separate from all NG+ and beyond people. This is 90% of the reason why you don't start seeing a lot of invaders or blue cops until NG+!

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
This apparently doesn't apply for Looking Glass Knight summons, as I was apparently getting NG squires on a NG+ character.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Well that's dumb. I don't see why you shouldn't be allowed to invade someone in NG+ so long as you're in the same SM bracket. Just another stupid decision regarding matchmaking in this game :sigh:

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
I'm on my second character's NG+ and mainly PVPing at this point with my Hex/Sorcery rear end in a top hat named Keanu Reeves. This game has some ridiculous moments in PVP, that's for sure. I just went on a 6 kill spree and then through some interesting lag died hilariously to a fists-only guy was hitting me from way further than he should be able to.

Douchebag fashion souls, with appropriate glitch induced purple face.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
Two interesting Pursuer-related co-op experiences tonight. The first one, I summoned someone to help me take down the Pursuer when you first see him on the little rampart area - and it worked! They ran ahead in the other direction first so I thought they might not know what to do, but when I got up there and they saw the raven swoop in, they started kiting him around like a pro. We went on to go through the rest of the forest and beat the last giant, which was pretty sweet all around!

Second one wasn't so nice - someone summons me at the tower bonfire, and by the time I get to their world they're somewhere else in the forest - I track them down to the Pursuer fog gate finally. When we get in the fight, I have a chance to use the ballista and get a shot off before I rejoin the fight. The Pursuer gets on me, and mid-swing for landing the last hit that'd kill him, THUNKTHUNKTHUNK, the host shot the loving ballista off and the shots stabbed through both the Pursuer and me, and I don't get my token. Great. :v:

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

If you don't want to fight a rat bro, you can just black crystal out. Or let them kill you. Its entirely on you if you choose to engage with them. You're complaining about 20 seconds of loading. That is all you have to "lose" when dealing with ratbros.

I just gave it a try, and the black crystal won't let you leave the rat member's world. If you want the fastest way out and don't want to fight, you either just have to let the rats munch you or run off a ledge.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

PublicOpinion posted:

This apparently doesn't apply for Looking Glass Knight summons, as I was apparently getting NG squires on a NG+ character.

I'm pretty sure it does.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Genocyber posted:

I'm pretty sure it does.

There was a guy with the character name "Starblade" doing squire invasions at the same time RBAStarblade was posting about doing squire invasions, so I assumed it was him. He was NG at the time and my character was NG+.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Well poo poo, here I was content to just buy a couple 3DS games for the rest of the year and FROM announces DLC. Maces are still amazing, right? Figure I'll start a new character for that once I'm done running through DkS1 again for the Artorias stuff and I was thinking of trying them out. Well, that or punch stuff.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PublicOpinion posted:

There was a guy with the character name "Starblade" doing squire invasions at the same time RBAStarblade was posting about doing squire invasions, so I assumed it was him. He was NG at the time and my character was NG+.

If he was firing GRS and soul greatswords everywhere that was me! Who won that fight, if you remember?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Well poo poo, here I was content to just buy a couple 3DS games for the rest of the year and FROM announces DLC. Maces are still amazing, right? Figure I'll start a new character for that once I'm done running through DkS1 again for the Artorias stuff and I was thinking of trying them out. Well, that or punch stuff.

Hammers are one of the best PVE weapons yeah. Dual Caestus are also obscenely good and a ton of fun, so definitely try that if you haven't already.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

If he was firing GRS and soul greatswords everywhere that was me! Who won that fight, if you remember?

I don't really remember but it was some kind of hexer, yeah. As for who won, as embarrassing as it is to get beaten by a NG character in NG+ I wound up dying. After that was when I started sunlight spearing squires before they could take actions.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PublicOpinion posted:

I don't really remember but it was some kind of hexer, yeah. As for who won, as embarrassing as it is to get beaten by a NG character in NG+ I wound up dying. After that was when I started sunlight spearing squires before they could take actions.

Haha, yeah if it makes you feel better at least once I was stomped by a havel with sunlight spear just like that. :v:

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I hope that when they patch the binoculars speed glitch and the skyrunning glitch that they also take care of Numbness because like half the people I played against today were abusing that. if anything demands a hotfix it's that.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Genocyber posted:

Hammers are one of the best PVE weapons yeah. Dual Caestus are also obscenely good and a ton of fun, so definitely try that if you haven't already.

Cool, thanks I'll give it a whirl. I was running nothing but my fists at first when I started but gave up when I realized I did more damage with a broken sword (which was all I had and could use as I started with Deprived and did not do the tutorial stuff).

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Internet Kraken posted:

You will never win arena fights at 350k SM. There is no SM limit on the arena, it matches you against whoever it feels like. Most people there are way above your level and will just crush you unless they are spectacularly awful.

Just use a CE to add red eye orbs to your inventory. Having to grind them out of the arena is dumb bullshit.

Nah, if From balanced the game such that low-SM players won't often invade, that's how it is. Besides, there's gotta be some cheese I can find, if I just look hard enough. Maybe poison? Or hmm... a weapon buff would be nice, maybe I can finagle Flame Weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Heavy Lobster posted:

Second one wasn't so nice - someone summons me at the tower bonfire, and by the time I get to their world they're somewhere else in the forest - I track them down to the Pursuer fog gate finally. When we get in the fight, I have a chance to use the ballista and get a shot off before I rejoin the fight. The Pursuer gets on me, and mid-swing for landing the last hit that'd kill him, THUNKTHUNKTHUNK, the host shot the loving ballista off and the shots stabbed through both the Pursuer and me, and I don't get my token. Great. :v:

I've been killed 6 times by other players on that goddamn boss. 3 times as a phantom like you at the same time the boss died (denying you your humanity/token/souls) and 3 times as a human because summons just always have to "help" you by running to those loving ballistas every single time. The most recent time I even tried to get pursuer to destroy them just so we could fight him normally but I couldn't get him to smash the last one in time.

Never ever play with anyone else for that fight unless it's the first appearance with no ballistas. I'm pretty sure the normal encounter is there to force you early on to learn how to beat the endless "big enemy with a weapon" bosses.